Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all,
Vanilla are planning an update to the site on April 24th (next Wednesday). It is a major PHP8 update which is expected to boost performance across the site. The site will be down from 7pm and it is expected to take about an hour to complete. We appreciate your patience during the update.
Thanks all.

Warriors Run 2014

Options
  • 13-02-2014 11:34am
    Registered Users Posts: 446 ✭✭

See they have announced the date of the Warriors Run .. 23rd August .. It was always the last weekend in August .. can't believe they have moved it ..it now clashes with the Lough Gill 10K swim, which moved its date because of the Fleadh.. such a pity as both are great events and I'm sure a lot of people did both of them last year.

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 3,012 ✭✭✭Plazaman

I heard only this morning that date might be changed as there was a very recent change to the schedule for the Northwest Cup and this is now due to be held in Strand Celtic (aka The Runners Village) on 23rd & 24th August. This would obviously have a knock on effect.

• Registered Users Posts: 446 ✭✭Scarlet42

Fingers crossed it will be changed!

just heard that the Northwest Cup has been moved to accomodate the warriors! .. damm!

• Registered Users Posts: 29,294 ✭✭✭✭Mint Sauce

How dare you OP, I create the Warriors Run Threads around here!!

:p

LOL, I jest.

After finishing it last year, I really questioned weather or not I would do it this year, but kinda getting very tempted again, only problem for me is The Gaelforce is the month before, so I will either be in the best shape of my life for it, or crippled.

:D

I also read somewhere the Roses Point/Strandhill swim was on the same weekend, although really doubt that is correct.

Just waiting now though to see what date the entries open so I can book afternoon off work so I can be infront of a computer.

PS. Cheers OP, I actually forgot to create this on seeing the announcement in the week.

;)

• Registered Users Posts: 486 ✭✭LaGlisse

Scarlet42 wrote: »
    See they have announced the date of the Warriors Run .. 23rd August .. It was always the last weekend in August .. can't believe they have moved it ..it now clashes with the Lough Gill 10K swim, which moved its date because of the Fleadh.. such a pity as both are great events and I'm sure a lot of people did both of them last year.

Hopefully the Lough Gill organisers will make the starting time earlier in the day so people can do both:pac:

• Advertisement

Sorry Mint Sauce .. didn't mean to steal your show!! :p not opening till May

The Warrior Of the Sea (Rosses Point/Strandhill Swim) is on the 12th July ..which is a great date as the weather is always nearly good on THAT day!

Last year was my best time so was hoping to get back into that shape again but .. (not that it was great by any standards!)

LaGlisse - wouldn't really fancy having to race over to Strandhill from Doorly Park to get at the start line in time .. getting parking and all would be a nightmare :rolleyes:....then there is the whole running up a mountain after doing a 10K swim bit .. couldn't lift my left arm for three days after last years! first time my wife has undressed me in years!!

• Registered Users Posts: 3,012 ✭✭✭Plazaman

I say the Lough Gill crew and the Warriors crew should all work together with the An Post cycle crew and we'll have ourselves one humdinger of a triathalon.

Swim from Rosses Point to Strandhill...run up knocknarea.....cycle around Lough gill....Will probably clash with the Sligo Rovers v Sligo GAA match :-) :-)

• Registered Users Posts: 1,103 ✭✭✭promethius

someone did do the warriors run route last year directly after warrior of the sea. did it for charity, fair play.
    there's a good chance the lough gill hospice swim will move to the weekend after given the run was plopped down on top of them like that.

Yeah?? wow .. didn't hear that, fair play to them .. and last year that day was one of the hottest of the year..hopefully it will the same this year!

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 276 ✭✭IrishLad2012

promethius wrote: »
    someone did do the warriors run route last year directly after warrior of the sea. did it for charity, fair play.
    there's a good chance the lough gill hospice swim will move to the weekend after given the run was plopped down on top of them like that.
    That's amazing, I wasn't fit to move after the Warriors Run..

On line registration opening on 22 May. In person night before in Strandhill.

got mine last night in Belle Vista ...very well organised!

• Registered Users Posts: 553 ✭✭✭Gipo3

That was easy, registered online already

• Registered Users Posts: 3,422 ✭✭✭Charliebull

just got in, yipee

Just got in. It is closed now.

• Registered Users Posts: 553 ✭✭✭Gipo3

Checked at 15:57 and it was open.

Yes I noticed that, I checked at 16.10 and it was closed, I just got in and no more. :D

• Registered Users Posts: 1,907 ✭✭✭bennyc

I got in about 15:56 , that's really annoying for anyone who missed out.
    Now as someone who has only just started running a few months back what the hell have I let myself in for... :o

• Advertisement

bennyc wrote: »
    I got in about 15:56 , that's really annoying for anyone who missed out.
    Now as someone who has only just started running a few months back what the hell have I let myself in for... :o
    I did it for the first time last year. I was dreading it before but that feeling you get when you hit the last 200metres and everyone is cheering you across the finish line is something else.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,907 ✭✭✭bennyc

I did it for the first time last year. I was dreading it before but that feeling you get when you hit the last 200metres and everyone is cheering you across the finish line is something else.

I am really looking forward to the physiological boost I hope to get when i reach the top of the mountain, even though at the moment downhill is where I seem to suffer the most.

The taming of the hill. There could a PB or two this year.

Was up there this morning for the first time since last years event, took the tourist path up and down. If you were to say run down in a zig zag fashion, there is a more marked path, although this could be down to the recent very heavy rain. If you are one of those who take the straightest route, just above the gate the hill has been stepped for about 10/20 metres, with the gate widened, and the area around it smoothed out. A bench has also been installed just above the gate should you wish to take a break.

The race route up, I imagine will be as tough as ever.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,307 ✭✭✭T runner

Mint Sauce wrote: »
    The taming of the hill. There could a PB or two this year.

Was up there this morning for the first time since last years event, took the tourist path up and down. If you were to say run down in a zig zag fashion, there is a more marked path, although this could be down to the recent very heavy rain. If you are one of those who take the straightest route, just above the gate the hill has been stepped for about 10/20 metres, with the gate widened, and the area around it smoothed out. A bench has also been installed just above the gate should you wish to take a break.

The race route up, I imagine will be as tough as ever.

Hi Mint. When you say stepped, do you mean stone/concrete steps climbing for 10-20 metres lenght?

T runner wrote: »
    Hi Mint. When you say stepped, do you mean stone/concrete steps climbing for 10-20 metres lenght?

No. Like railway sleepers set into the slope, about a metre to metre and half apart. Leveled out clay and earth behind each one.

Didn't get up to close as was sticking with the tried and tested zigzag route up and down.

No. Like railway sleepers set into the slope, about a metre to metre and half apart. Leveled out clay and earth behind each one.

Didn't get up to close as was sticking with the tried and tested zigzag route up and down.

I usually keep left on the way down. When I get to the "ledge" about 20-30 metres above the gate, I have a sneaky way of dropping down without having to go all the way right to the fence. Ill have to look at it again now.

I usually keep left on the way down. When I get to the "ledge" about 20-30 metres above the gate, I have a sneaky way of dropping down without having to go all the way right to the fence. Ill have to look at it again now.

The ledge is still there, then 'the steps'. I usally head left as well, and totally avoid the ledge, and head for the gate at an angle.

Whilst the area around the gate has not been totally leveled, the drop though it is not as fierce.

Even though I didn't attack the decent today, compination of new trail runners, walkers, and wearing a pack that was chaffing (also training for the Gaelforce), was quite happy with the run.

The ledge is still there, then 'the steps'. I usally head left as well, and totally avoid the ledge, and head for the gate at an angle.

Whilst the area around the gate has not been totally leveled, the drop though it is not as fierce.

Even though I didn't attack the decent today, compination of new trail runners, walkers, and wearing a pack that was chaffing (also training for the Gaelforce), was quite happy with the run.

I go straight down the ledge...there is a hidden step in the middle of it.....i usually go left thereafter to avoid the small loose rock area. Its handy because you can go almost straight down all the way then. Quads need to be conditioned though

I know the descent route you follow i think.....its out left and zig zags.......its a good one.....ill use it if i havent the legs ready for a good pounding!

Anyone running The Streets of Sligo tomorrow. Whilst nothing like the terrain of The Warriors, and only a third of the distance, it could be a good fitness indicator, especially for any first time entrants.

;)
    I go straight down the ledge...there is a hidden step in the middle of it.....i usually go left thereafter to avoid the small loose rock area. Its handy because you can go almost straight down all the way then. Quads need to be conditioned though

I know the descent route you follow i think.....its out left and zig zags.......its a good one.....ill use it if i havent the legs ready for a good pounding!

I usally head right just as you leave the wide path heading away from the cairn, then cross the hill a few times. The left approach is the angle that I am heading for towards the gate. I would usally be no where near the fence just above the gate.

• Advertisement

yes .. great run .. weather was perfect .. such a nice race .. never did it before .. and really nice medals!!

Advertisement