Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all,
Vanilla are planning an update to the site on April 24th (next Wednesday). It is a major PHP8 update which is expected to boost performance across the site. The site will be down from 7pm and it is expected to take about an hour to complete. We appreciate your patience during the update.
Thanks all.

transfer domains to Blacknight

• 21-04-2014 2:17am
    Registered Users Posts: 6

Hi

I have a couple of domains registered with godaddy that I would like to transfer to Blacknight. They expire in about 4 weeks. 

I've read through some threads here and I've gleaned that:
    A) I need to get some key from godaddy in order to transfer the registration
    Could you please clarify this? is there anything else I need to do and is this something that I can do from my account or do I need to send them a written request

B) I've read something related to the fact that when I transfer the domain, the clock resets and I get 1 year from that time (not added to the existing registration). Could you please advise as to the optimal time to transfer then? I don;t want to cut it too short. Would I be able to do it the day before for example or should it be weeks before?

Thanks for your help

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 7,739 ✭✭✭mneylon

Hi

I have a couple of domains registered with godaddy that I would like to transfer to Blacknight. They expire in about 4 weeks. 

I've read through some threads here and I've gleaned that:
    A) I need to get some key from godaddy in order to transfer the registration
    Could you please clarify this? is there anything else I need to do and is this something that I can do from my account or do I need to send them a written request
    You shouldn't need to send a written request. With most providers you should be able to follow the process here:
    https://www.blacknight.com/transfer-domain.html#c193

NB: DO NOT update your contact details with GoDaddy before trying to move a domain from them, as that will freeze the domain from any move for about 60 days
    B) I've read something related to the fact that when I transfer the domain, the clock resets and I get 1 year from that time (not added to the existing registration). Could you please advise as to the optimal time to transfer then? I don;t want to cut it too short. Would I be able to do it the day before for example or should it be weeks before?
    When you transfer a domain between registrars an extra year is added on, so the clock doesn't reset.
    So if you registered a domain in January 2014 for one year and transferred to us today the renewal would be pushed out by 365 days - ie. you wouldn't lose any time

If you have any other questions please let us know

Thanks

Michele

Advertisement