If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Recommendations on av receiver and speakers

• 13-04-2014 11:30pm
    Registered Users Posts: 2,299 ✭✭✭

Hi.

Looking for recommendations for an av receiver and matching speakers.
    Living room is roughly 5m*4m in size. Pairing with a 42" Tv

Lets say budget on the receiver is in the £250-400 bracket:
    e.g. Denon x2000, pioneer vsx923 or the models slightly higher, or other brands in that class.
    Maybe you could suggest best models at a few price points. 

Speakers:
    Lets say the budget is  £200-300 or so. At least 5.1. Maybe something like the Boston Acoustics?
    Open to suggestions. I dont need crazy power as I'm in a semi-detached. Something to match the receivers power. 

Oh need a blu-ray player also.

And interested to know whats on demo in the Belfast store - as we plan to take a trip up next saturday from Dublin. Would prefer to get a run through some stuff. Hard to make up ones mind from internet reviews.

Thanks!

EDIT - just thought I'd throw this in also. Some advice I've seen - spend more on the speakers than the receiver. Maybe let that feed into your recommendations. Obviously looking for a good receiver, and the best sound possible. But dont want to break the bank.

Comments

• Company Representative Posts: 17,115 ✭✭✭✭Richersounds.ie: Kenny

Hi.

Looking for recommendations for an av receiver and matching speakers.
    Living room is roughly 5m*4m in size. Pairing with a 42" Tv

Lets say budget on the receiver is in the £250-400 bracket:
    e.g. Denon x2000, pioneer vsx923 or the models slightly higher, or other brands in that class.
    Maybe you could suggest best models at a few price points. 

Speakers:
    Lets say the budget is  £200-300 or so. At least 5.1. Maybe something like the Boston Acoustics?
    Open to suggestions. I dont need crazy power as I'm in a semi-detached. Something to match the receivers power. 

Oh need a blu-ray player also.

And interested to know whats on demo in the Belfast store - as we plan to take a trip up next saturday from Dublin. Would prefer to get a run through some stuff. Hard to make up ones mind from internet reviews.

Thanks!

EDIT - just thought I'd throw this in also. Some advice I've seen - spend more on the speakers than the receiver. Maybe let that feed into your recommendations. Obviously looking for a good receiver, and the best sound possible. But dont want to break the bank.
    Hi PixelTrawler.

Thanks for getting in touch with us.

For the Amp have a look at the following:

Sony STRDN1040 priced at £349.95 (5 Star review What HiFi)
    http://www.richersounds.com/product/av-receivers/sony/strdn1040/sony-strdn1040

Yamaha RXV675 priced at £399.95 (5 Star review What Hifi)
    http://www.richersounds.com/product/av-receivers/yamaha/rxv675/yama-rxv675-blk

You could use the Denon AVRX2000 which is priced at £249.95 but both the above amps perform much better in terms of sound quality and still come within your budget.

You do not always have to spend more on the speakers over the amp, depending on the amp that you purchase.
    Here are some packs that would fit perfectly in with the amp above:

Wharfedale DX1 HCp pack priced at £299.95 (Another 5 Star review)
    http://www.richersounds.com/product/speaker-packages/wharfedale/dx1-hcp/whar-dx1

Tannoy HTS101 pack priced at £349.95 (5 star reviewed)
    http://www.richersounds.com/product/speaker-packages/tannoy/hts101/tann-hts101-blk

You could also throw caution to the wind and go for the FANTASTIC Monitor Audio Mass 5.1 pack priced at £699.00
    http://www.richersounds.com/product/speaker-packages/monitor-audio/mass-5.1/moni-audio-mass

Or the Q Acoustics 2000i 5.1 pack priced at £649.95
    http://www.richersounds.com/package/speakers/speaker-packages/pah01309

On the Blu ray player front are you looking 3D or Smart?
    The most popular players are Panasonic and Sony:

The below are standard entry level players:

Panasonic DMPBDT160 priced at £89.00
    http://www.richersounds.com/product/blu-ray/panasonic/dmpbdt160/pana-dmpbdt160-r2

Sony BDPS4200 priced at £89.95
    http://www.richersounds.com/product/blu-ray/sony/bdps4200/sony-bdps4200

We can set up for Demo almost anything we stock provided we have it in the Belfast store.

When you are calling we can book you in for a Demo and set up a system or two and let you hear them in action.

I hope this is of help.

Any questions please let me know.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,299 ✭✭✭PixelTrawler

Hi 

Thanks for the reply. I've seen patchy user reviews on the Sony so not sure about that one. I've seen decent reviews of the yamaha. I'll dig a bit more in. 

My TV is non-3d so that doesnt matter as regards the blu-ray player (Philips pfl9664 - from the old Philips store in Dublin. Philips seems to be dying as a brand which is sad. Lovely set.)

Your link to the Monitor Audio Mass doesnt appear to work by the way. "Sorry this product is not available"

I would love to throw caution to the wind but I have a new house and theres a budget. Not sure how much I can push the boat out. 

I would be very interested in hearing the diff in I guess two things:

The difference in sound quality on the Denon vs the Yamaha.
    And the difference in sound quality in a 300 pound set of speakers and a 6-700 pound speakers.

As the two combined is a swing in budget from under 500 pound to over 1100 pound - that needs careful consideration. 

Thanks

EDIT - the price on the Yamaha is 324 not 399 (recent change?) http://www.richersounds.com/product/av-receivers/yamaha/rxv675/yama-rxv675-blk
    Was just going to ask about your price match policy as I saw it on amazon just now for 325 ;)

Hi 

Thanks for the reply. I've seen patchy user reviews on the Sony so not sure about that one. I've seen decent reviews of the yamaha. I'll dig a bit more in. 

My TV is non-3d so that doesnt matter as regards the blu-ray player (Philips pfl9664 - from the old Philips store in Dublin. Philips seems to be dying as a brand which is sad. Lovely set.)

Your link to the Monitor Audio Mass doesnt appear to work by the way. "Sorry this product is not available"

I would love to throw caution to the wind but I have a new house and theres a budget. Not sure how much I can push the boat out. 

And the difference in sound quality in a 300 pound set of speakers and a 6-700 pound speakers.

As the two combined is a swing in budget from under 500 pound to over 1100 pound - that needs careful consideration. 

Thanks

EDIT - the price on the Yamaha is 324 not 399  (recent change?) http://www.richersounds.com/product/av-receivers/yamaha/rxv675/yama-rxv675-blk
    Was just going to ask about your price match policy as I saw it on amazon just now for 325 ;)
    Hi PixelTrawler.

The price must have just changed on the RXV675 to the £324 price to compete with Amazon. Very attractive price!!! 

Not sure why the Monitor Audio link didn't work I have corrected it in the original post.

If you let me know which time you would be at the store on Saturday I can book in a Demo and let you hear a £1k+ system compared to a £500 one.

As Saturday is the Easter holidays we could be Mega busy but if you let me know in advance of a time I can keep that free for yourself.

Hi 

Thanks

EDIT - the price on the Yamaha is 324 not 399  (recent change?) http://www.richersounds.com/product/av-receivers/yamaha/rxv675/yama-rxv675-blk
    Hi PixelTrawler.

The price must have just changed on the RXV675 to the £324 price to compete with Amazon. Very attractive price!!! 

Not sure why the Monitor Audio link didn't work I have corrected it in the original post.

If you let me know which time you would be at the store on Saturday I can book in a Demo and let you hear a £1k+ system compared to a £500 one.

As Saturday is the Easter holidays we could be Mega busy but if you let me know in advance of a time I can keep that free for yourself.
    Hi Kenny

I'll confirm a time tomorrow...

Cheers!

Hi 

Thanks

Hi PixelTrawler.

Hi Kenny

I'll confirm a time tomorrow...

Cheers!
    No problem at all Pixel.

Speak to you tomorrow :)

• Advertisement

Hi Kenny

We could be there at 12 on saturday if that time works?
    I can pm you my name and number 

Hi Kenny

We could be there at 12 on saturday if that time works?
    I can pm you my name and number 
    Hi Pixel,

Our schedule for Saturday is looking clear :)

If you'd like to drop me a PM with your details we'll pop you in.

Chris

Ok, Will do. 
    I think of the two higher end speakers, I'd like to hear the Q-Acoustics 2000i

Ok, Will do. 
    I think of the two higher end speakers, I'd like to hear the Q-Acoustics 2000i
    Hey PixelTrawler.

No problem at all. I have you in the Demo Diary for 12pm.

See you on Saturday.

One question. John has it in his footer about Boards Specials.
    Could you give some bundle prices on the following. Feel free to pm if you wish. Or is that something we can discuss in person?

Perhaps a bundle price if possible on the Denon x2000 with the Tannoy, Wharfedale or Q-Acoustics 2000i and same with the Yamaha rxv675

Another question - its new receiver season and the rxv677 has already been paper launched (as has the Sony 1050). Although the only main spec difference seems to be HDMI 2.0.    Any word on when they'll start to come through? 

Oh on the blu ray player - I'll chat to you on the day about it. Want something half decent but doesnt have to be top of the line.

• Advertisement

Could you give some bundle prices on the following. Feel free to pm if you wish. Or is that something we can discuss in person?

Perhaps a bundle price if possible on the Denon x2000 with the Tannoy, Wharfedale or Q-Acoustics 2000i and same with the Yamaha rxv675

Another question - its new receiver season and the rxv677 has already been paper launched (as has the Sony 1050). Although the only main spec difference seems to be HDMI 2.0.    Any word on when they'll start to come through? 

Oh on the blu ray player - I'll chat to you on the day about it. Want something half decent but doesnt have to be top of the line.
    Hi PixelTrawler.

We always try to do our best pricing for Boards customers but unfortunately not all product can be discounted further than already on our main website. We are very very competitive on our pricing.

For package deals on the AVRX2000 check the link below:
    http://www.richersounds.com/search/denon%20avrx2000

And for the Yamaha RXV675:
    http://www.richersounds.com/search/rxv675

Both the AVRX2000 and the RXV675 are already discounted at this point as there are starting to wrap up.

At the moment we do not have a release date for the NEW Yamaha's or the NEW Sony receivers.

Hi PixelTrawler.

We always try to do our best pricing for Boards customers but unfortunately not all product can be discounted further than already on our main website. We are very very competitive on our pricing.

Both the AVRX2000 and the RXV675 are already discounted at this point as there are starting to wrap up.

At the moment we do not have a release date for the NEW Yamaha's or the NEW Sony receivers.
    Ok, Cheers thanks!

Hi PixelTrawler.

One bundle you are missing is the avr- x2000 and the Q-Acoustics 2000i (you list it with the 7000i).
    Do you a price on that please? (its available as a bundle elsewhere I've spotted - dont want to publicly mention the store and price but I can PM it)

• Company Representative Posts: 9,457 ✭✭✭Richersounds.ie: John

Hi PixelTrawler.

One bundle you are missing is the avr- x2000 and the Q-Acoustics 2000i (you list it with the 7000i).
    Do you a price on that please? (its available as a bundle elsewhere I've spotted - dont want to publicly mention the store and price but I can PM it)
    Ah go on publish and be dammed - we love price beats :)

haggling makes life worth living,

ATVB,

John Mc

John McDonald / Managing Director / Richer Sounds Ireland / www.richersounds.ie / johnmc@richersounds.ie

According to their website they dont deliver to Ireland - but I'm more than happy to price match that price for the Q Acoustics 5.1 2000 system with the Denon AVRX2000 and we will do shipping at just £14.99 for the complete package ( we will also do it in the walnut finish at the same price!)

If you were interested in the Q Acoustics 7000i system - I can even beat our published package price and go to £889.95 for the complete package - basically this means that you are just paying £50 for the Denon!! ( it sounds really good!)

or if you fancied the amazing Monitor Audio Mass package with the Yamaha RXV675 - we can do that package at £849.95 ( and that combo sounds fantastic!) - compare that price to the retailers above for the same system ;)

Thanks again and keep the posts coming :D

ATVB,

John Mc & Crew

John McDonald / Managing Director / Richer Sounds Ireland / www.richersounds.ie / johnmc@richersounds.ie

According to their website they dont deliver to Ireland - but I'm more than happy to price match that price for the Q Acoustics 5.1 2000 system with the Denon AVRX2000 and we will do shipping at just £14.99 for the complete package ( we will also do it in the walnut finish at the same price!)

If you were interested in the Q Acoustics 7000i system - I can even beat our published package price and go to £889.95 for the complete package - basically this means that you are just paying £50 for the Denon!! ( it sounds really good!)

or if you fancied the amazing Monitor Audio Mass package with the Yamaha RXV675 - we can do that package at £849.95 ( and that combo sounds fantastic!) - compare that price to the retailers above for the same system ;)

ATVB,

John Mc & Crew
    Hmm... very tempting on the Denon+Q-Acoustics 2000i (although, I wouldnt be a walnut man -black is just fine)
    I'm booked in for some demos on saturday in Belfast at 12. We going to nip up from Dublin. I think its worth hearing the difference before buying.

I'll be interested in seeing other models also but I think it's getting near the top end of the budget as is for now. 

Thanks John for getting back.

ATVB,

John Mc & Crew

I'll be interested in seeing other models also but I think it's getting near the top end of the budget as is for now. 

....Hmmmmm, I'd resist the temptation to listen to the RXV675 and Monitor Mass combo then ....;)

http://www.whathifi.com/review/yamaha-rx-v675
    http://www.whathifi.com/review/monitor-audio-mass

Keep us posted,

John McTempter

ATVB,

John Mc & Crew

....Hmmmmm, I'd resist the temptation to listen to the RXV675 and Monitor Mass combo then ....;)

Keep us posted,

John McTempter
    And guess what we ended up buying!

Big thanks to George at the Belfast store.  Very helpful chap. Explained everything we needed to know. 
    The Q-Acoustics 2000i were setup but he swapped over to the Monitor Audio Mass for us also. I just found the Monitors seemed a touch clearer. 

So we went with the Yamaha 675, and the Mass 5.1 (with a pair of stands which are a great job).

Spent yesterday setting it up and played around with it last night and today. 

Lovely sound, easy system to setup for a complete rookie.

It was a pleasure to spend money in your store! Its refreshing to have such knowledgeable people instore. 

Thanks (and we were delighted with the deal)

ATVB,

John Mc & Crew

Keep us posted,

John McTempter
    And guess what we ended up buying!

Big thanks to George at the Belfast store.  Very helpful chap. Explained everything we needed to know. 
    The Q-Acoustics 2000i were setup but he swapped over to the Monitor Audio Mass for us also. I just found the Monitors seemed a touch clearer. 

So we went with the Yamaha 675, and the Mass 5.1 (with a pair of stands which are a great job).

Spent yesterday setting it up and played around with it last night and today. 

Lovely sound, easy system to setup for a complete rookie.

It was a pleasure to spend money in your store! Its refreshing to have such knowledgeable people instore. 

Thanks (and we were delighted with the deal)
    Hi Pixel,

Pleasure having you both in the store on Saturday.  We love demos!!

You walked away with a fantastic system indeed :)  Glad you like it.

I'll pass on your kind words to George, you were in good hands there.  

Thanks so much for the business and I hope you're enjoying your new system and the bank holiday.

Chris

• Advertisement

I've had a few days to play with the system now. The speakers are so good. The sub is quite subtle low but my god it can go big. 
    I'd read reports on the yamaha of muffled dialogue but I've had no issues at all with it. It must be people setting it up wrong.

I'm finding its a real rich, warm sound. Movies are a joy to watch with it (mind you even regular tv from the cable box sounds great, we've just turned off the tv speakers completely).

It also connects to my network like a dream, picking up music on the NAS. The built in internet radio is surprisingly handy. 

I have all the cables trunked in nicely now. Delighted with the setup. Really enjoying it...

I can be pretty nit picky about tech but theres nothing thats bothering me about the setup. Its just works...

I've had a few days to play with the system now. The speakers are so good. The sub is quite subtle low but my god it can go big. 
    I'd read reports on the yamaha of muffled dialogue but I've had no issues at all with it. It must be people setting it up wrong.

I'm finding its a real rich, warm sound. Movies are a joy to watch with it (mind you even regular tv from the cable box sounds great, we've just turned off the tv speakers completely).

It also connects to my network like a dream, picking up music on the NAS. The built in internet radio is surprisingly handy. 

I have all the cables trunked in nicely now. Delighted with the setup. Really enjoying it...

I can be pretty nit picky about tech but theres nothing thats bothering me about the setup. Its just works...
    Hi PixelTrawler.

Glad that you are happy with your new system :D

Should you require anything in future or have any questions please don't hesitate to ask.

Leave a Comment

Rich Text Editor. To edit a paragraph's style, hit tab to get to the paragraph menu. From there you will be able to pick one style. Nothing defaults to paragraph. An inline formatting menu will show up when you select text. Hit tab to get into that menu. Some elements, such as rich link embeds, images, loading indicators, and error messages may get inserted into the editor. You may navigate to these using the arrow keys inside of the editor and delete them with the delete or backspace key.