Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all,
Vanilla are planning an update to the site on April 24th (next Wednesday). It is a major PHP8 update which is expected to boost performance across the site. The site will be down from 7pm and it is expected to take about an hour to complete. We appreciate your patience during the update.
Thanks all.

MSAP Exam 8th March

• 09-02-2014 10:53pm
    Registered Users Posts: 36

Hi All,

So the CAO has been sent but now have to deal with getting prepared for the MSAP exam. Wondering if there is anyone else out there completing it? I have no idea what to study, I'm doing the practice exam that you can pay for and really wasn't expecting it to be what it is. Questions are quite hard, initially thought it was going to be more of a personality test (where there is no wrong answer a such but it's very evident that it's not and I will probably fail it according to the answer sheet!!) but was wrong!!

I would have normally been very good at essays and should be fine with the structure etc but the topics seem to go from one kind to a whole different kind so I am very worried about the content of my essay as I will more than likely be clueless to the subject they want me to discuss.

If there is anyone out there that can help me in anyway at all, it would be much appreciated. Really setting my heart on a particular course and don't want to fail!! :(:(:(

Thanks,

Clodagh

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 102 ✭✭auskid

There will be two different types of essay...no.1 will be abstract usually creating a argument for or against a current topic topic like technology or global warming or education.....the second will be a personal style essay generally in some way related to yourself........I did it myself two years ago and my partner did it last year....I managed to finish both essays as it would be a strong point of mine..my partner only managed the first essay and one paragraph on the second but we still scored the same...It is judged on your writing standard and argument building skills not your quantity...so dont panic its only 30 minutes per essay...so i would definatly concentrate on getting one good essay written rather than two average essays just finished......as for the multiple choice section they have tended to change dramatically from year to year but basically they can be tough as more often than not at least 2 out of 4 answers will be very plausible...all in all my advice would be to do one good essay as in my opinion and judging from the scores ive seen and spoken to others about it is what they will largely base your score on.

also what course are you looking at

• Registered Users Posts: 36 Clo14

auskid wrote: »
    There will be two different types of essay...no.1 will be abstract usually creating a argument for or against a current topic topic like technology or global warming or education.....the second will be a personal style essay generally in some way related to yourself........I did it myself two years ago and my partner did it last year....I managed to finish both essays as it would be a strong point of mine..my partner only managed the first essay and one paragraph on the second but we still scored the same...It is judged on your writing standard and argument building skills not your quantity...so dont panic its only 30 minutes per essay...so i would definatly concentrate on getting one good essay written rather than two average essays just finished......as for the multiple choice section they have tended to change dramatically from year to year but basically they can be tough as more often than not at least 2 out of 4 answers will be very plausible...all in all my advice would be to do one good essay as in my opinion and judging from the scores ive seen and spoken to others about it is what they will largely base your score on.

Cheers for that!! Yeah, I think I will find it hard to write an essay when I'm unsure about the subject though, I know how to write an essay the intro, your points and the conclusion but the topics as they could be anything scare me! Can I ask how you studied for it? Did you just brush up on subjects like the above? Take a couple of points and apply them to the essay question then? Thanks a million for your advice!!

also what course are you looking at

Social work in ucc auskid! ðŸ˜႒

There looking for grammar , spelling structure etc...the content while important isnt everyting...I purchased the study book from acer directly when i applied for the exam....from experience and from speaking to others the best advice i will give you is to take your time on the day and dont panic...hold your nerve and youll be fine ...remember 95% of the people in the room with you will be feeling the exact same...choose your essay wisely look at all options...you will find that the titles will be very current topics so if your up on current affairs youll be fine

The bad news...As far as I know and dont quote me the social work course is very much based on the interview process and the experience in the field you have...it is all mature students and they are all in there 30,s 40,s Im doing social science and share some classes with them..it is also a professional course which means there attendance is monitored...the interview includes group sessions where they will monitor you in action within a group..I think the msap doesnt even apply to entry to social work.........

there is another way into social work if you dont have the experience....

you can do social science which is 3 years...msap applies to this...after 3 years and building up 400 hours of work experience you can do a masters in social work...you can build up the 400 hours by doing summer volunteer modules which apply to your final year credits which mean you can take less modules during the college term...

Hope this helps..ask away if you need any more info

• Advertisement

There looking for grammar , spelling structure etc...the content while important isnt everyting...I purchased the study book from acer directly when i applied for the exam....from experience and from speaking to others the best advice i will give you is to take your time on the day and dont panic...hold your nerve and youll be fine ...remember 95% of the people in the room with you will be feeling the exact same...choose your essay wisely look at all options...you will find that the titles will be very current topics so if your up on current affairs youll be fine

The bad news...As far as I know and dont quote me the social work course is very much based on the interview process and the experience in the field you have...it is all mature students and they are all in there 30,s 40,s Im doing social science and share some classes with them..it is also a professional course which means there attendance is monitored...the interview includes group sessions where they will monitor you in action within a group..I think the msap doesnt even apply to entry to social work.........

there is another way into social work if you dont have the experience....

you can do social science which is 3 years...msap applies to this...after 3 years and building up 400 hours of work experience you can do a masters in social work...you can build up the 400 hours by doing summer volunteer modules which apply to your final year credits which mean you can take less modules during the college term...

Hope this helps..ask away if you need any more info

Cool, that helps a lot, thanks for that!

Have been doing voluntary work and have a few Fetac courses in that area that I hope will stand to me.....but I'm 24! Those guys in their 30's and 40's will have a good bit on me!

Didn't know they did the group sessions so thanks a mil for that! Will have to blow them away in the interview by the sounds of it lol!

The attendance won't be an issue and actually glad it's a mature student course, I'm 24 going on 35 and do want to do this as a career!

Perfect, appreciate your offer! It may not be the last you hear from me!!

Thanks again,

Clodagh

no bother...definately put social science as your number 2 on the cao as it will also get you moving in the right direction towards social work and many other options....id be surprised if you dont get it with all your courses etc...you can do the msap now with no pressure it will only apply to other arts courses you put on your cao....also i would email the social work department for information on the application procedure and interviews ...there very helpful...best of luck with everything

• Registered Users Posts: 6,315 ✭✭✭sunbabe08

I'm doing the exam myself on Saturday, getting slightly nervous now.

sunbabe08 wrote: »
    I'm doing the exam myself on Saturday, getting slightly nervous now.

Yeah me too, it's not something that you can really study for to a certain extent!! Trying to keep positive and all but there is no way I will get all those questions done in the hour!!

Clo14 wrote: »
    Yeah me too, it's not something that you can really study for to a certain extent!! Trying to keep positive and all but there is no way I will get all those questions done in the hour!!

honestly after looking at the practice exam and plus doing a couple in the practice class in college. i might get a few done, but i'm not gonna get them all done. the essays should be interesting part, because i am talker, so need to try to keep it short and sweet

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 9 Mola85

I'm doing the exam on Saturday too. I think I'll find it strange using a pen for that length of time again.
    Having done the practice essays, I feel that I am rushing and not getting my points across accurately.
    Module 2 ...well that is just a 60 minute guessing game.
    Hopefully it turns out to be ridiculously easy on the day and we all get offered want we want....and then some cake.

KNOW the feeling all to well. barely using a pen this year

Best of luck tomorrow guys :)

Mola85 wrote: »
    Best of luck tomorrow guys :)

Best of luck both! Going to do one more blast of practice questions and get an early night I think! Lots of coffee tomorrow morning!! Hope we all do well!!!

• Registered Users Posts: 1,457 ✭✭✭Lenmeister

Ya hope you all do well, I didn't even know I had to do one until a month ago. I'm thinking the essays are going to be hard as their not my strong point, multiple choice at least you can tick something.

it's an exam that is very hard to prepare for, i'm just hoping that my mind doesn't go blank, i'm also hoping to get something current like cyberbullying or the neck nominations :o:o or would that be too leaving cert like for this exam. feck it i'm just hoping for an essay that i can relate to

How did everyone find it?

Mola85 wrote: »
    How did everyone find it?

Essays were great I thought, smashed those I think but the questions were a different story!! I can't even at how I did, any of them could have been right or wrong! Got all finished anyway!! What about u?

• Registered Users Posts: 6 Fi Barry

Hey, how did everyone do on the exams today? I posted a thread/post/forum? (ugh, new to this boards.ie). I thought it was hell-ish to be honest. :/

Fi Barry wrote: »
    Hey, how did everyone do on the exams today? I posted a thread/post/forum? (ugh, new to this boards.ie). I thought it was hell-ish to be honest. :/

The questions were horrible alright, I just started to go with my gut like that's all I could do as they were fairly hard to understand! Glad it's over, heading to the pub soon to forget about it lol! U did ur best and that's all that matters!!!

• Advertisement

Feel terrible after that, problem as always with me, not enough time! Questions were fine, but there was over 1/4 I didn't get to answer so I had to quickly mark any. Only got maybe 1/2 through the 2nd essay :( It will look so stupid when they see a sentenced half finished... Doh!

wtf was that? haven't had an exam like that in a while. the violence essy was utter crap. i'm hoping the 2nd essay will save me, because i ended up with actually having a introduction, a middle and a conclusion. i'm not a big fan of violence anyway, so that essay just went all over the place

the questions:eek: um the graph truly utterly stumped me and made my head spin.

normally i would over analyse and say i could have done better, but honestly i don't think i could have done any better

• Registered Users Posts: 43 merkal

hi guys,
    i sat the test yesterday too. it was very difficult. i was dreading the essays but in actual fact they came easy enough to me when the time came. but the second part- holy crap!. i did all the practice tests and even though they were hard, they were not half as hard as the real one!! and this was the part of the test that i was actually looking forward to. i think i answered about 8 out of 35 with confidence, about 7 (all the graph and grid ones, wtf!!) were just picked at random, and the rest i answered with doubt- very very hard test.

i have confidence that i answered about 5 or 6 correctly. i think i might be generous. oh well, won't know for another 6 weeks

Was anyone else struggling timewise? I was doing MSAP 1 and 3. In 3 - 35 questions over 1 hour is just under 2 minutes a question. To be able to read the whole thing, then answer 3/4/5 individual parts in 2 minutes seems very very constricted. Especially when you have to recheck the thing every time you're answering 1 part of a question. Even moreso when it involves graphs or a lot of data in charts.

• Registered Users Posts: 79 ✭✭Ross1986

Found the essays all right to be honest, had practised the preparation of them a lot before the exam. The multiple choice was the opposite though, they really are there to trip you up deliberately.

At least it's out of the way now, best of luck to everyone!

Hi guys,

Just wondering if anyone has received their results yet? I'm watching the post man each morning now, if it's not tomorrow they will surely arrive next week?

i wasn't expecting them till the end of april!! is it sooner they're due?

merkal wrote: »
    i wasn't expecting them till the end of april!! is it sooner they're due?

I thought they were, I don't know why so you could be right but I was under the impression we would get it in a month, maybe I'm completely wrong, sorry if I am!!

• Advertisement

ah right, just read this on the acer website

''The CAO will receive results by the 2nd week in April. Candidates receive their results soon after''.

so i guess it'll be the third or fourth week of april.

Advertisement