Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all,
Vanilla are planning an update to the site on April 24th (next Wednesday). It is a major PHP8 update which is expected to boost performance across the site. The site will be down from 7pm and it is expected to take about an hour to complete. We appreciate your patience during the update.
Thanks all.

Fluoride in tap water

Options
  • 18-06-2013 3:08pm
    Registered Users Posts: 4,061 ✭✭✭

So I have one point and two questions :
    Point: if we are now to pay for drinking water can we refuse if Fluoride is still added to it ?
    Question 1: what is the long term effect of adding Fluoride to tap/ drinking water ?
    Question 2 : can it be removed (home kit / filters) ?

MODs if this is in the wrong place please move or delete
    Thanks David

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,911 ✭✭✭Zombienosh

You can buy a filter but its pretty expensive i think.
    I agree with your point if you have to pay for it surely you should have a choice.

• Registered Users Posts: 8,216 ✭✭✭jh79

With a meter system we will only be paying for what we use so you could use the mains for the practical stuff and bottled for drinking.

There is presently no evidence to suggest any adverse effects of water fluoridation at concentrations present in Irish water. Ironically the papers often cited by anti-water fluoridation advocates only show toxicity at high concentrations thereby proving safety at lower concentrations.

Why filter it out it is good for your teeth.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,673 ✭✭✭FREETV

I know someone who works for the Dept of the Environment and he has confirmed to me about the research which I have done about the dangers of Fluoride on the internet is one hundred percent true. No lies, no bull****. :mad:

jh79 wrote: »
    With a meter system we will only be paying for what we use so you could use the mains for the practical stuff and bottled for drinking.

There is presently no evidence to suggest any adverse effects of water fluoridation at concentrations present in Irish water. Ironically the papers often cited by anti-water fluoridation advocates only show toxicity at high concentrations thereby proving safety at lower concentrations.

Why filter it out it is good for your teeth.

Fluoride rots your teeth and causes fluorosis of the teeth.
    It is carcinogenic and damages the bones and the brain.
    I know someone in the Dept of the Environment who has nodded to me when I asked the person about Fluoride, it is an industrial waste by product, therefore it is highly toxic!
    Ask any alternative dentists.

• Registered Users Posts: 1 Catherinech

I thought fluoride was good for teeth, well that is what they teach in school anyway, but please correct me i am interested to learn about these internet theories about it being damaging for the brain?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 22,231 ✭✭✭✭endacl

There's alternative dentistry now too?!? Is it based on ancient eastern philosophies? Gum chakras? Calcium karma?

I presume it doesn't work?

FREETV wrote: »
    I know someone in the Dept of the Environment who has nodded to me when I asked the person about Fluoride, it is an industrial waste by product, therefore it is highly toxic!

Toxicity is dose dependent, concentrations seen in Irish water have not been shown to have any adverse effects. What role does your friend have in the dept, a scientist would never say an industrial waste by-product is by default toxic also.

What is an alternative dentist?

endacl wrote: »
    There's alternative dentistry now too?!? Is it based on ancient eastern philosophies? Gum chakras? Calcium karma? :D

I presume it doesn't work?

Holistic dentistry, do a google search like I did and educate yourself. :)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,652 ✭✭✭I am pie

I spoke to someone in DoE who said that the guy that nodded at you was wrong.

I guess that statement has about as much credibility as yours.

What remains once we agree that two vague statements with no evidence to substantiate them are a number of peer reviewed studies which state that the only possible toxicity risk is from concentrations vastly higher than those present in Irish water.

Do you have anything substantial to present to us to the contrary here or is this more unsubstantiated scaremongering?

ps..My mate in the DoE told me that you wouldn't have any evidence.

See what I did?

Toxicity is dose dependent, concentrations seen in Irish water have not been shown to have any adverse effects. What role does your friend have in the dept, a scientist would never say an industrial waste by-product is by default toxic also.

He has his own office in the Dept, he is a top Civil Servant. He has access to the paperwork.
    It accumulates over time and the damage is irreversible, I am sorry to say that it is true, we even bathe, shower and wash food with tap water so that is absorbed along with chlorine which damages cells when we are washing ourselves without expensive filters. Watering plants during fine weather and the food that we grow in our gardens is another example of absorption/chemicals being absorbed through the skin.

There is big money in the sale of the bags of that crap from industry that is put in the water in waterworks and I will never pay for chlorinated and fluoridated tap water.

http://www.fluoridealert.org/issues/health/pineal-gland/

http://articles.mercola.com/sites/articles/archive/2013/01/20/fluoride-denialism.aspx

• Advertisement

Holistic dentistry, do a google search like I did and educate yourself. :)

Holistic dentistry? For fixing holes in your teeth? What if you don't have holes in your teeth? Because you regularly visit actual dentists?

• Registered Users Posts: 25,226 ✭✭✭✭King Mob

Fluoride does not rot your teeth. Fluorosis is a discoloration of the teeth, and while severe cases can look pretty nasty, the teeth of the sufferers themselves are very healthy and have very few caries.
    The level of fluoride in Irish drinking water is below the amount needed to cause Fluorosis.
    At safe levels it is not carcinogenic and does not damage anything.
    I know someone in the Dept of the Environment who has nodded to me when I asked the person about Fluoride,
    Could you provide some sort of evidence for this?
    it is an industrial waste by product, therefore it is highly toxic!
    It being an industrial waste byproduct does not make it immediately toxic.
    Toxicity is dependent on how much of dose there is.

Water can be an industrial waste byproduct and it can be very toxic.
    But they would have a very clear financial interest in telling people about the dangers of fluoride while offering treatments and products and devices that would supposedly allow people to undo the supposed damage caused by fluoride and/or remove it from their water.

Why are these alternative dentists immune to the same corrupting influences that make mainstream dentists lie about the effects and dangers of fluoride?

• Registered Users Posts: 4,061 ✭✭✭whydave

I know someone who knows someone who was in Navada that doesn't mean he can get a spaceship!;)
    I don't want Fluoride in my water thus the point and questions !
    Any help ?
    David
    whydave wrote: »
    So I have one point and two questions :
    Point: if we are now to pay for drinking water can we refuse if Fluoride is still added to it ?
    Question 1: what is the long term effect of adding Fluoride to tap/ drinking water ?

MODs if this is in the wrong place please move or delete
    Thanks David

endacl wrote: »
    Holistic dentistry? For fixing holes in your teeth? What if you don't have holes in your teeth? Because you regularly visit actual dentists?
    From what I gather alternative dentists/holistic dentists are similar to other alternative health practitioners. As in they supply dubious treatments that purport to be more effective/less harmful than the mainstream ones because they use less scary chemicals etc.

I think in addition to opposing fluoride, alternative dentists also warn of the dangers of fillings that contain mercury while also just happening to offer services to remove and replace such fillings.

whydave wrote: »

1. At the dosage in Irish (and other developed countries with water fluoridation) there is no adverse long term effects.

2. Any kits or filters marketed by people who oppose fluoridation would have no guarantee of working as advertised and would be very hard to find information on whether they actually did or not.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,912 ✭✭✭pog it

This happens a lot where I live but at the weekend we had an awful lot of water coming out of the tap really chalky and milky in colour.

I left some in a glass and after a while it changed to a normal clear colour with a bit of fizz in it. Does anyone know what this is?
    The water was literally really chalky and milky when it first came out of tap so much so that we could not drink it.

• Registered Users Posts: 114 ✭✭Sunhill

That is perfectly pure water which was being pumped at too high a pressure. The cloudy stuff is just microscopic bubbles, though their appearance is very deceptive. when the bubbles disperse the water is clear because it contains nothing else.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,912 ✭✭✭pog it

Cheers for that Sunhill. Great to know that! Would you drink it straight from the tap yourself when it comes out cloudy like that or do you wait for it to clear?

Ok, but why should we trust those experts.

Plenty of experts say the exact opposite to them, so why should we trust folks like Mercola over the majority of experts?

• Advertisement

A website like fluoride alert is hardly going to be partisan, anyways they tend to misrepresent the data and fail to take concentration into account.

In your opinion which single piece of research is the most "damning" from your perspective?

I mentioned the PSTV documentary on youtube to which I have linked.The Civil Servant in the DOE will not drink tap water as he has the knowledge about what is good or bad for a person and the environment, it is in most toothpastes and mouthwashes also, why to make money.

In the same way that we are living in a debt based economy con, fluoride is also another con.
    There is no need for it to be put in the water. Hitler used it to control the Jews in the death camps.
    It is present in Prozac and some rat poisons. It dumbs people down and makes them acquiescent and believe the muck on Irish television and current affairs.

• Registered Users Posts: 8,034 ✭✭✭goz83

They say the pineal gland is also our third eye ( though a few jokers will snigger and disagree ). If fluoride calcifies the gland, it would be very hard to measure, because plenty of stuff in our diets do a much better job of this. Carbonated drinks for a start.

I mentioned the PSTV documentary on youtube to which I have linked.The Civil Servant in the DOE and he will not drink tap water as he has the knowledge about what is good or bad for a person and the environment, it is in most toothpastes and mouthwashes also, why to make money.

Can you link to a single piece of research that shows toxicity either short or long term at 1ppm levels?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 655 ✭✭✭HurtLocker

Maybe something from the WHO or a government organisation.

Hitler used it to control the Jews in the death camps.
    This is a myth invented by people opposed to fluoridation.
    http://www.politifact.com/florida/statements/2011/oct/06/critics-water-fluoridation/truth-about-fluoride-doesnt-include-nazi-myth/
    It is present in Prozac and some rat poisons.
    So is water.
    It dumbs people down and makes them acquiescent and believe the muck on Irish television and current affairs.
    There is zero evidence of this.

However it is ironic that you are accusing others of being dumbed down and believing what they are told, by stating facts from suspicious experts who seem very dishonest and stingy with evidence.

I guess because I don't get paid by the Government and nor will I ever want to that is why I like to inform people of the truth, even if there are those who try to misinform and believe that they know better. I don't believe that every researcher/whistleblower out there advocating that fluoride should be taken out of water is telling lies or doing it just to make money.

HurtLocker wrote: »
    Maybe something from the WHO or a government organisation.
    Government is sneaky and can't be trusted. They're always out to take over the world, Pinky and the Brain style. While evidence provided by government may be perfectly acceptable in other fora, it doesn't fly in here.

:D

• Advertisement

I guess because I don't get paid by the Government and nor will I ever want to ever so I like to inform people of the truth, even if there are those who try to misinform.
    But it seems like the people you are putting forward as experts have a lot to gain from misinforming people about fluoride.

I don't understand why you reject the mainstream science on this issue because mainstream scientists might have something to gain, but then immediately believe everything from alternative sources who have just as much to gain.
    I don't believe that every researcher/whistleblower out there advocating that fluoride should be taken out of water is telling lies or doing it just to make money.
    But you believe that every scientist who disargees with you is telling lies and is in it for the money?

How do you tell the difference between the ones who are telling the truth and those who are misinforming to make money?

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement