Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all,
Vanilla are planning an update to the site on April 24th (next Wednesday). It is a major PHP8 update which is expected to boost performance across the site. The site will be down from 7pm and it is expected to take about an hour to complete. We appreciate your patience during the update.
Thanks all.

Cycling/Walking around the city

Comments

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 2,913 ✭✭✭galwaycyclist

Iwannahurl wrote: »
    Thing is, the Council is right to point out that the timeframe was unrealistic. In the current economic climate it may even have been a ruse by central government to avoid spending the money. There are anecdotal reports of sneaky ways being found by different departments and agencies to thwart legitimate funding allocations. Then they can deny that any cutbacks are taking place.

Hmmmm I was at a meeting with Noel Dempsey in the Fisheries Board offices in either 2008 - 2009 (don't have time to go digging for notes now). The reason for that venue was because he was also there to have a look at the fisheries field bridge proposals.

So at that time college/council must have had the proposal worked up to the point that they could put a cost on it and make a formal pitch to the Minister.

Its not like they were "ambushed" with the funds.

For the record, in the context of the needs of cyclists and pedestrians of Galway, I always considered this to be a scheme that should have been well down the list of priorities. We have been waiting for thirty years for something to be done about the one-way streets but they can pull out all the stops looking for money for a bridge at the back of the college bar?

• Registered Users Posts: 370 ✭✭celty

galwaycyclist,

Agree with you 100%. Galway is not at all a 'cycle friendly' city and this seemed like a bit of a luxury or distracting project when there are so many issues to be addressed.

Still, a bridge across the Corrib for pedestrians and cyclists, with a special path all the way to Dangan sounded like a neat plan. It just sums the City Council up though, if they were given €250,000 but never got around to drawing it down last year.

Obviously, both the Council and the College must have had firm plans, and yet the Council somehow 'forget' to use the money in the calendar year. You really couldn't make this up.

Meanwhile, most cyclists in Galway have to deal with roads which are not at all designed for their needs each and every day.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 8,156 ✭✭✭Iwannahurl

Hmmmm I was at a meeting with Noel Dempsey in the Fisheries Board offices in either 2008 - 2009 (don't have time to go digging for notes now). The reason for that venue was because he was also there to have a look at the fisheries field bridge proposals.

So at that time college/council must have had the proposal worked up to the point that they could put a cost on it and make a formal pitch to the Minister.

Its not like they were "ambushed" with the funds.

For the record, in the context of the needs of cyclists and pedestrians of Galway, I always considered this to be a scheme that should have been well down the list of priorities. We have been waiting for thirty years for something to be done about the one-way streets but they can pull out all the stops looking for money for a bridge at the back of the college bar?

I know the project has been mooted for a while, and that it's not on everybody's priority list, but IIRC the €250k was allocated relatively late in the day. If the Council and others really have been 100% in favour of the plan since 2008, would they not have dedicated the relevant funds before now?

I'm not aware that there is significant opposition to the proposal among the elected members and various stakeholders, so would they have to be scared into supporting it by the usual ploy of claiming the funds will be lost if they don't accept the GTU's recommendation without question?

Agreed re the value (and hence strategic political neglect?) of area-wide enabling measures like one-way street exemptions. That would not be a vanity project, presumably, and there would probably be no ribbon-cutting ceremony for the Mayor and officials to attend...

• Registered Users Posts: 4,867 ✭✭✭what_traffic

snubbleste wrote: »
    Yeah it would. It would open up the Fisheries Field area, which is currently a dead-end. Remove pedestrian/cyclist traffic from University Road and shorten (slightly) the distance between the campus and the city centre.
    If you look at the place where this bridge is to go, you'd wonder why it was not put there years ago.

Not convinced its really necessary.
    Will it be used at night time? It will only remove pedestrian and cyclists on a small stretch of University Road around 100meters and why does this type of "traffic" need to be removed in the first place? How many meters will it shorten the journey by?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 8,156 ✭✭✭Iwannahurl

So what claims are they making for the proposed (and currently unfunded) pedestrian/cycle bridge?

Is it a decorative monument to tokenism, or a genuine greenway, albeit a short one?

Could there be an ulterior motive, eg facilitating new traffic flow arrangements on University Road?

• Advertisement

Iwannahurl wrote: »

Could there be an ulterior motive, eg facilitating new traffic flow arrangements on University Road?

Well they are also planning a new road bridge at the cathedral

• Registered Users Posts: 2,917 ✭✭✭beardybrewer

Well they are also planning a new road bridge at the cathedral

They've been talking about that for a long time. Are there some definitive plans on the books? Wonder what the stats are for accidents there. Never seen one but always think about it whenever I cross it (in car or as pedestrian)

• Registered Users Posts: 118 ✭✭PauricTheLodger

Anyone know what happened with the bike rental scheme they were talking about? The one that was akin to Dublin's?

• Registered Users Posts: 445 ✭✭ladhrann

ciotog wrote: »
    They failed to use the funding before year end. This 'use it or lose it' approach by the likes of the DoT is what allows city officials to coerce city councillors into approving bad schemes. It's also worth noting the comments from NUIG about their issues with the short amount of time between approval and deadline for draw down of funds. It feels like I'm defending the city council here, I feel dirty now.

Amen, the city council is staffed by engineers stuck in a 70s mindset of cars, interchanges and lights. The whole of public space (which is what a road is) is geared towards one user only, and that is the private car.

Essentially all of the architecture of Galway city is based on a road engineers handbook akin to that which built Ballymun & Rahoon flats, all people need to live is roads, cars and housing.

Before I'm accused of hijacking the thread, what I am trying to do is encourage debate from first principles of land and usage. i.e. that good design starts from the smallest element.

Have any readers ever wondered why seats in bus shelters are so high? i.e. unusable for the short, women, children. Or why kerb heights are so high, impeding pedestrians, wheelchair users, people with prams, the elderly etc.

How would a walkway/cycleway over the Clifden railway line improve the lot of your average cyclist at all? It would not offer a quicker route across town and more importantly, due to its height over the regular road surface it would be very difficult to use owing to the incline. That is not to say that it would not be an important amenity.

In addition to the points I've made, one of the greatest difficulties I have as a cyclist in Galway is the nature of the road surface on the lefthand side of the road. A cyclist is always pushed into that side of the road by the traffic. Gullies, potholes, puddles, incredibly poor (re)surfacing are a significant threat to the cyclist. Aside from wear and tear on the machine, there is the very real likelihood of being thrown or losing control as a result of plunging into a hole 4" off true.

• Registered Users Posts: 9,889 ✭✭✭thesandeman

According to Padraig Con the walkway to UCG is still going ahead. Apparently its being constructed in Limerick at the moment. There is a little bit about it on Galwaynews.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 139 ✭✭phonejacker

need advice:

i was thinking of cycling into GMIT from spiddle/inverin area. somedays i start at 9am and other days i finish at 6pm so i would have to cycle in the dark on country roads with no hard shoulder. (not to mind when its windy and rains). its 30km each way. then last year somebody stole a bike which was owned by a lecturer at the college. the bike was left at the back of the college so maybe thats why it happened. i looked the last day at the bikes that were left at gmit and all of them were mountain bikes and mine is a racer bike which is a more expensive bike so more of a risk of getting stolen. so if u were me would u do it?

• Registered Users Posts: 445 ✭✭ladhrann

Its certainly doable, I would recommend reflective clothing and additional lights. Also many shops would recommend you spend at least 10% of the cost of the bike on the lock. I'd recommend a Kryptonite, get the 'New York' lock, and always lock through front wheel to the frame and the fixed object. Make sure to lock it to something secure and tall so that a thief cannot lift it over the support. You'd be surprised how many people lock bikes to ordinary traffic bollards, saplings etc.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 31,117 ✭✭✭✭snubbleste

Government says it is funding the Fisheries Field new link, work is progressing on it from the college side anyway
    Funding will also be allocated towards the cities’ traffic management centre and continued construction of the Fisheries Field Greenway linking NUI Galway with the cathedral. http://www.galwaynews.ie/24620-public-transport-minister-commits-tackling-city-congestion

Government says it is funding the Fisheries Field new link, work is progressing on it from the college side anyway

Hey snubbleste, are they clearing ground for it or putting in access for this new bridge on the NUIG grounds? Where exactly is it? Behind the IMI?

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 31,117 ✭✭✭✭snubbleste

Hey snubbleste, are they clearing ground for it or putting in access for this new bridge on the NUIG grounds? Where exactly is it? Behind the IMI?

Yeah, it's behind the college bar. They've been at it at least two months now. You can see from the southern end of Arasnamacléinn where the bridge is going to go, over the eglinton canal and some other small stream and emerging just north of the building where Macnas used to do its stuff. It's supposed to be a cable stay bridge. Should be done by the summer.

The thought occurs that for this investment of state funds to be "defendable" as a "traffic solution", then NUI, Galway should be required to make the car-parking at Dangan accessible to the public and provide monitored secure-bike parking. It would give car-commuters the option of a "park and bike" solution. I think its too far out for a viable "park and stride" location.

The thought occurs that for this investment of state funds to be "defendable" as a "traffic solution", then NUI, Galway should be required to make the car-parking at Dangan accessible to the public and provide monitored secure-bike parking. It would give car-commuters the option of a "park and bike" solution. I think its too far out for a viable "park and stride" location.
    Doubt NUIG would come on board - unless they could make money from it?
    Whats the occupancy like of it?
    True re distance - even for NUIG IT has to be 1km or greater to the Concourse
    For secure bike parking.
    The could trial something like this which is installed at Luas stations in Dublin
    http://www.boards.ie/vbulletin/showpost.php?p=75891983&postcount=11

Yes, between IMI and Fisheries Field, ie across the canal rather than the Corrib.

celty wrote: »
    Yes, between IMI and Fisheries Field, ie across the canal rather than the Corrib.

Hi celty. Are there any other obvious works going on? I am trying to figure out where people are supposed to go from the macnas building? Are they supposed to go in and out the usual fisheries field entrance? Do you reckon this is an easier or harder place to hang a right turn than up at Wards shop?

Hi celty. Are there any other obvious works going on? I am trying to figure out where people are supposed to go from the macnas building? Are they supposed to go in and out the usual fisheries field entrance? Do you reckon this is an easier or harder place to hang a right turn than up at Wards shop?

I don't think there is too much visible there yet, cos the bridge is being assembled in Limerick and just moved to the site after it is ready. Might take a look over the weekend.

I also cycle home via the Cathedral, will have to wait and see if it will be worth going that way once it's up and running.

• Advertisement

Hi

Does anyone here use the Western Distributor or Rahoon Roads? There is some kind of activity on Millars lane with some kind of barriers being installed.

Has anyone tried to get through these on a bike? Are they passable or do they seem to be intended to block cyclists? (Millars lane is supposed to be a cycle route)

• Registered Users Posts: 1,991 ✭✭✭jkforde

That work's being going on for roughly the last two weeks..haven't been down there for a nosey yet but those barriers do look like they're bicycle friendly (put there to block off car dumping and burning I suppose)

Oh, and anyone know who's the main fella in GCC to ask about getting the red cycle surface on the WDR between Dunnes and the Clybaun Hotel redone, there's one section near the bring bank where it's in bad shape, reckon by the brushes of the road cleaner.

🌦️ 6.7kwp, 45°, SSW, mid-Galway 🌦️

• Registered Users Posts: 3,456 ✭✭✭fishy fishy

inisboffin wrote: »
    Cyclist hit yesterday on Shantalla Rd, ambulance called. Hopefully it wasn't too serious.

Watched a car clip a cyclist on Rahoon Rd (into Shantalla stretch) two days ago, car drove on, cyclist wobbled, stopped and continued.

Fairly frequent occurrence in daylight on that road tbh, so *not* very safe there at least.

Don't get the non-lit cyclists there either. It's bad enough when you're fully visible, why make it easier to be hit?

agree, the invisible cyclists are always on the road. Surely they should be pulled over the same as a car with no lights. You cannot actually see some of these guys until you are right on top of them, - the have the stupidity to wear all dark clothes also, and when you beep at them they look at you as if you have two heads. pure idiots. If you are going to cycle, then have some common sense.

jkforde wrote: »
    Oh, and anyone know who's the main fella in GCC to ask about getting the red cycle surface on the WDR between Dunnes and the Clybaun Hotel redone, there's one section near the bring bank where it's in bad shape, reckon by the brushes of the road cleaner.

Thats hard to know at this point since the city council now has a roads department and a Galway Transport Unit.

I suspect that part of the problem is that the council have not been maintaining the cycle lanes at all. If you look at the road surface the top "wearing course" has been replaced on the central traffic lanes but not on the cycle lanes. The central part is actually higher than the cycle lanes and there is a lip between the two.

The GTUs "plan" for these cycle lanes is to try and get them up onto the footpath or a parallel "footpath type" structure where most likely they will never get swept at all.

• Registered Users Posts: 126 ✭✭Galwayps

The bridge is going to link up with the pedestrian/cycle path built last year in the fisheries field which comes out at a gate near the Salmon weir bridge .
    Not any shorter I would say but just nicer journey and away from traffic.
    You can walk the path at the moment but the gate is closed at end.

Galwayps wrote: »
    The bridge is going to link up with the pedestrian/cycle path built last year in the fisheries field which comes out at a gate near the Salmon weir bridge .
    Not any shorter I would say but just nicer journey and away from traffic.
    You can walk the path at the moment but the gate is closed at end.

Ok so how would you access this gate if you were coming accross the Salmon weir Bridge from town?

• Registered Users Posts: 126 ✭✭Galwayps

Ok so how would you access this gate if you were coming accross the Salmon weir Bridge from town?

I put together a map of the route as I understand it.
    As I said the path is already completed in the fisheries field.
    There could be an intention for this path to eventually link in with a pedestrian bridge over corrib beside salmon wier as was mooted several years ago but for now It will come out via this small gate and tiny bridge over a mill channel that is mostly hdden
    http://g.co/maps/t74g9

• Registered Users Posts: 8,099 ✭✭✭dinneenp

Robbo wrote: »
    I point to Galway cyclists and I point to this. That is all.

Greenfieldism, am I doing it right?

Drivers break the law too-
    • Drivers break speed limits. 30 on the dual carriagway from N17 down to roundabout by Pillo hotel, 100 on country roads
    • talking on the phone
    • parking on footpath
    • parking on double yellow lines
    • drivining with no tax
    • driving with no insurance
    • driving with no NCT
    • driving without seatbelt.

Cyclists are allowed cycle 2 abreast, dont' have to cycle to the left by law.
    Would you prefer if they did this and blocked cars rather than b
    reaking red lights and hoping onto the footpath?

Cyclists don't kill people.

• Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 10,553 Mod ✭✭✭✭Robbo

dinneenp wrote: »
    • Drivers break speed limits. 30 on the dual carriagway from N17 down to roundabout by Pillo hotel, 100 on country roads
    • talking on the phone
    • parking on footpath
    • drivining with no tax
    • driving with no NCT

Perhaps you could, starting with the 1961 Act, just list out all road traffic offences in handy list format?

My point was about the petty standard of Greenfieldism in the thread to that point. I even lampshaded it, yet here we are, with it arising again.

It does raise a point that on the internets, a cyclist/motorist will latch onto any tiny opportunity to go on off one one, pointing the finger shouting "The other lot are worse".

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 3,456 ✭✭✭fishy fishy

dinneenp wrote: »
    • talking on the phone
    • parking on footpath
    • drivining with no tax
    • driving with no NCT

maybe put lights on their bikes and wear light clothing instead of trying to play hide and seek with cars,, and then cry if somebody doesn't see them. :D

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement