Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all,
Vanilla are planning an update to the site on April 24th (next Wednesday). It is a major PHP8 update which is expected to boost performance across the site. The site will be down from 7pm and it is expected to take about an hour to complete. We appreciate your patience during the update.
Thanks all.

Eyre Square redevelopment Again ?

• 23-04-2014 1:00pm
    Registered Users Posts: 5,199 ✭✭✭

Hey folks I just heard this from mum and she was saying that it was in the papers that they are getting rid of the center of the grass area of Eyre Square so that Stalls and such can be put in for the Christmas Markets and other events ?
    Surely this cannot go ahead ? We've so little green areas in the city as it is ?
    No doubt it will cost a few million too for a job that shouldn't cost more than 100k.

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 863 ✭✭✭GastroBoy

• Registered Users Posts: 6,106 ✭✭✭antoobrien

Hey folks I just heard this from mum and she was saying that it was in the papers that they are getting rid of the center of the grass area of Eyre Square so that Stalls and such can be put in for the Christmas Markets and other events ?
    Surely this cannot go ahead ? We've so little green areas in the city as it is ?
    No doubt it will cost a few million too for a job that shouldn't cost more than 100k.

The proposal is to convert the square into support a concert space for the city of culture bid, so it will take a damn sight more than 100k to do.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,243 ✭✭✭Unrealistic

antoobrien wrote: »
    The proposal is to convert the square into support a concert space for the city of culture bid, so it will take a damn sight more than 100k to do.
    Some anagram deciphering practise wouldn't go amiss. ;)
    Works would involve an excavation to a depth of around six feet, lowering a pre-cast concrete sub-structure and then pouring concrete,” Ms Flora Lopi of the UK-based Calico, Park Jet engineering consultancy firm told the Sentinel

• Registered Users Posts: 3,734 ✭✭✭zarquon

Some anagram deciphering practise wouldn't go amiss. ;)

April Fool?

• Registered Users Posts: 2,842 ✭✭✭Micilin Muc

GastroBoy wrote: »

The Kennedy Park area of the Square is deceivingly large, although I would have thought they could fit more than 6,000 people into it. Maybe if they remove the plaque they could squeeze in an extra couple of thousand people.

galway_eyre_sq3.jpg

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 5,199 ✭✭✭muppetkiller

GastroBoy wrote: »

Thanks :p doesn't sound as bad as I first feared but then again it is the County Council so will no doubt be a disaster.

• Moderators, Arts Moderators Posts: 17,231 Mod ✭✭✭✭Das Kitty

I, for one, welcome the concrete trucks. :pac:

Hope they dig up some of those big ugly trees as well, waste of CO2, they are.

• Registered Users Posts: 25,659 ✭✭✭✭Mrs OBumble

Does anyone of any other projects which Flora Lopi of the UK-based Calico, Park Jet engineering consultancy firm has been involved in?

lol I got it now folks I'll shoot my mother :D

• Registered Users Posts: 3,734 ✭✭✭zarquon

lol I got it now folks I'll shoot my mother :D

You'll shoot your mother :eek: I hope that's an April's Fool too!

• Advertisement

zarquon wrote: »
    You'll shoot your mother :eek: I hope that's an April's Fool too!

We'll see....;)

Although I did see some signs up in Eyre Square about planning permission so thought there might be some truth in it..

• Registered Users Posts: 25,659 ✭✭✭✭Mrs OBumble

Although I did see some signs up in Eyre Square about planning permission so thought there might be some truth in it..

Leftovers from last year's Christmas market.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 10,087 ✭✭✭✭Dan_Solo

I think the Seamus Quirke playing pitches are this year's designated hand over fist waste of money / backhander to yer mates in construction, so I doubt there's anything up in Eyre Square right now.

Advertisement