Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on [email protected] for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact [email protected]

Recommended Kennels In Bray/Wicklow Area

• 21-03-2008 3:50pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 3 gaa fan no1

Hey...

I'm heading away on 2 weeks hols and looking for a good Kennel to leave my 1 year old dog... Would anyone have any suggestions/experience with Kennels in the Bray area?

Thanks in advance

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,939 ✭✭✭mikedragon32

There are kennels up and Windgates (at the crest of Bray Head on the road to Greystones), and I saw an ad for Kennels in Blacklion in the window of the petshop in Greystones village.

We leave our cats in a place up near Rathdrum. They have kennels up there too and they are very good.

I'll root out the number for the place we use and if I'm up by the village tomorrow (quite likely), I'll get the number from the ad in teh window and I'll PM them both to you.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,138 ✭✭✭orchidsrpretty

We put our dog into the Corncrake Kennels in Roundwood. I find them to be great. I was very apprehensive about putting our dog into a kennel so i did alot of research into all the kennels in the Bray/Wicklow area and although the one at the windgates seems great( she keeps the dog in a big enclourse all day, and indoors at night), the owner never asked me for proof of vaccs, which if you look at any website that always the first thing they should ask. There is one in Rathdrum also and one in Greystones that will only take small dogs. All have websites, hope you find the right one.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 392 ✭✭boomer_ie

We put our dog into the Corncrake Kennels in Roundwood. I find them to be great. I was very apprehensive about putting our dog into a kennel so i did alot of research into all the kennels in the Bray/Wicklow area and although the one at the windgates seems great( she keeps the dog in a big enclourse all day, and indoors at night), the owner never asked me for proof of vaccs, which if you look at any website that always the first thing they should ask. There is one in Rathdrum also and one in Greystones that will only take small dogs. All have websites, hope you find the right one.

Ive used Windgates three or four times with my two boxers (sometimes with both sometimes with just one) and had no problems. Each time I was asked for proof of Vacination (which resulted in a trip to vets every time, I ALWAYS loose that sheet of paper!)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 152 ✭✭Goffie

HI
    If you're interested in boarding your dog in a someone's home rather than kennels I can pm you the details of my dog walker who takes my westie when we go on hols (and I'm VERY fussy)

That way he's still in a home and he loves it there! He's big pals with her three dogs. She's in Bray.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3 gaa fan no1

Wow...Thanks for the great replies guys. Really appreciate this as I’m very wary off leaving my dog on its own for the first time. If I find the right place I use it again obviously, so Goffie could you pleas IM that number to me please.

Regards and thanks a million

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 479 ✭✭mags16

Regarding the kennels mentioned on this thread, I left my little dog in one of them ( I won't say which one) for 4 days and she came out "as sick as a dog". It cost me a fortune in vet bills not to mention the emotional distress of it all. It may not have been the kennels' fault, she might have caught a bug from another dog. In future, I'll get someone to stay in the house with her.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 156 ✭✭merryhappy

mags16 wrote: »
    Regarding the kennels mentioned on this thread, I left my little dog in one of them ( I won't say which one) for 4 days and she came out "as sick as a dog". It cost me a fortune in vet bills not to mention the emotional distress of it all. It may not have been the kennels' fault, she might have caught a bug from another dog. In future, I'll get someone to stay in the house with her.

Sounds like your dog had seperation anxiety. We went away for two weeks

last year and left our two cavaliers on kennels, we really thought they would

have a great time as they had a tv and underground heating and plenty of

human contact, anyway when we got home both dogs got a vomiting bug

which lasted for about 5 days and one of them had to hospitilised she got so

dehydrated. Because all of their vaccs were up to date and there wasnt a

bug going at the time the vet said that hteir immune system dropped

because they were so stressed and upset that we left them and they didnt

have as much human contact as they were used to in the kennels.

Having said all that it doesnt stop us from going away the last time we went

we had a relation stay in the house with them and we are going away for 6

weeks in the summer and they are staying in a ladies house, she only takes

4 dogs at a time and that will have the run of the house!

So I guess what i'm trying to say is kennels don't suit every dog!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 75 ✭✭Country-Bumpkin

I have 4 dogs of my own and run a kennels of sorts!!! Ie. I mind peoples dogs for them in my house, they live with my dogs, sleep & eat with them and get treated like one of the family. So far its proved to be fantastic, we have repeat customers and some dogs who HATE going home. (oh and I only take 2-3 extras at a time otherwise its not fair on my own dogs)

We started it up because we couldnt bear to leave our own babies locked up in cages for 2 weeks, we have to get people to live in our house while we're away so thought we'd do something to help other scared dog-lovers. Although some kennels can be great, I agree with merryhappy, they dont suit all dogs!

• Registered Users Posts: 5,132 ✭✭✭Sigma Force

Have heard good things about yuppie puppie in bray, havent used them but worth a call u can google the name it should come up.

Sometimes dogs come home sick because the stress of being parted from owners can bring them down, in an area with lots of animals of the same kind close together no matter how clean it is viruses can pop up.

Thing is to go and visit the kennel before hand and make sure they agree to let you see the kennels themselves.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6 gibbon

just to let you know my own opinion of windgates kennels, was a couple of years ago so they might have changed,
    i asked her how many times she walked the dog, she said none
    the owner reluctantly showed us around,
    and well, it was my sixth kennel i had been to in about three weeks, - and i was that close to calling the rspca, a couple of terriers covered in muck and shaking came out of thier pens- pens were filthy, cold and built together badly with cheap wood
    again, this was a few years ago, they might have changed it, but i was shocked, been an animal lover, she didnt seem to have any routine for the dogs,
    hopefully that has changed, but that was my experiecne in 2004

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 21,392 ✭✭✭✭Alun

We had a similar experience there with our cat there when we first moved to Ireland back in 2001. Tiny little cages, with hardly any room to move, and dirt trays instead of cat litter, all in a dark, draughty, unheated shed. We didn't do a visit first unfortunately, as it was a last-minute thing, but if we had we'd never have put him in there. Needless to say we never went back.

• Registered Users Posts: 629 ✭✭✭cotton

I live 2 seconds away from Windgates Kennels. I'd rather leave my animals home alone than go there.

i've just been up to visit a great cattery in kilternan in the last hour, talk about state of the art, an actual house nearly- very large accomodation, view over the valley and fields towards killiney hill, cats there were very relaxed, the owner Robert, had lyric fm playing for them, wanted me to see it before i made any decision about bookings, i think he has only started six months ago, but well worth having a look, it was called Alpine Cattery, dont do dogs though, so i have to get a good kennel for them

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,441 ✭✭✭Killme00

gibbon wrote: »
    i've just been up to visit a great cattery in kilternan in the last hour, talk about state of the art, an actual house nearly- very large accomodation, view over the valley and fields towards killiney hill, cats there were very relaxed, the owner Robert, had lyric fm playing for them, wanted me to see it before i made any decision about bookings, i think he has only started six months ago, but well worth having a look, it was called Alpine Cattery, dont do dogs though, so i have to get a good kennel for them

Please let us know if you do find a good kennel. Sound like a wonderful place for the cats.

will do!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 483 ✭✭ Lachlan Nice Tenseness

I own greyhound kennels and decided to use the spare ones as boarding kennels. im 17 btw. I put up a ad on a website and within a few days had a good few replies. It was only last weekend and I already have a dog that im minding. i think is a good idea cos the kennels are basically in my back garden but its a full building wth 2 storys. the 1st has 4 kennels and upstairs its just storage. this way dogs spend some time in kennels and some time in the house. its kept very clean and such.

what do others think? is it a good idea?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1 Furphy

Hi,
    I was wondering if anyone had recommendations for a cage free (no kennels) place to let my dog stay when I am away. She is very well behaved. When I have gone away in the past, I left her with a dog sitter who cared for her with his own dogs. I have since moved and am looking for a place that is similar to this set-up in the Wicklow or wider Dublin area. I would appreciate any recommendations! I am fussy!
    Thank you!
    Furphy

Hi Furpy think I mentioned Yuppi Puppie already they are in Bray and use cage free kennelling, the parents are really fussy and their dog was very happy there with no problems.

Sadly the neighbours are complaining about so many cars going up and down the laneway that she is going to try and sell up and move somewhere with more land but you can visit the place.

The parents dog was never left in kennels before, the dog had her own bed in the kitchen but just followed her around all day.

Larger dogs are kept in a seperate area but not caged, just google the name the website should come up.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 16 dimple

Does anybody know if Yuppie Puppy are still operating in Bray? I've tried calling and leaving a voicemail and emailing but no response. I need to sort out petsitting for my dogs for the end of the month and liked the sound of Yuppie Puppy

• Closed Accounts Posts: 92 ✭✭woofie87

dimple wrote: »
    Does anybody know if Yuppie Puppy are still operating in Bray? I've tried calling and leaving a voicemail and emailing but no response. I need to sort out petsitting for my dogs for the end of the month and liked the sound of Yuppie Puppy

Leave the message on the answering mashine and Barbara should ring you back - she 's busy with the dogs so hardly ever answers her phone, but normally rings back. Also, I left my little scamp with a lovely lady for a week. She lives in Bray and takes 3-4 dogs to mind in her house. They get plenty of walk and have lots of fun playing all day, and they sleep wherever they slepp in their own homes ( Woofie slept in the kitchen on his own bed). He came back home happy and in good shape. If you want to I can forward your number to her and she will ring you.

• Advertisement

She should ring back or try to e-mail her. Same with my parents dog she had a bed in the kitchen but the dog followed her around all day like a shadow lol.

• Registered Users Posts: 2 Montyw

woofie87 wrote: »
    Leave the message on the answering mashine and Barbara should ring you back - she 's busy with the dogs so hardly ever answers her phone, but normally rings back. Also, I left my little scamp with a lovely lady for a week. She lives in Bray and takes 3-4 dogs to mind in her house. They get plenty of walk and have lots of fun playing all day, and they sleep wherever they slepp in their own homes ( Woofie slept in the kitchen on his own bed). He came back home happy and in good shape. If you want to I can forward your number to her and she will ring you.
    hi, we recently got a very mild mannered westie puppy and are looking for somebody who could mind him three days a week. I was wondering if this lady you mentioned would be interested in minding him so regularly.
    If so can you let me know so i could pass on my details, i'd really appreciate it. Thx a mill

Montyw wrote: »
    hi, we recently got a very mild mannered westie puppy and are looking for somebody who could mind him three days a week. I was wondering if this lady you mentioned would be interested in minding him so regularly.
    If so can you let me know so i could pass on my details, i'd really appreciate it. Thx a mill

Sure send me a private message with your ph number and I will give it to her.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4 dogyoungone

Do try to get a booking in Yuppie Puppie as your dog will be very happy there. I've left my dog there twice and Barbara and her assistant (think she's Polish) were so nice to her. She came back healthy and had obviously been very well looked after. Barbara runs the place more like a home than a kennel and lets the dogs run around, play on the patio and even share her sofa! I hope Y.P doesn't close down as I wouldn't leave my dog anywhere else (I live in Cork and drive up to Wicklow so she can stay there! ). Perhaps try to ring the mobile after 6pm or early in the morning.. Good luck

• Registered Users Posts: 88 ✭✭aynneone

Came upon this thread a bit late, but thought I would throw my tuppence worth in anyway.. Have boarded my cats, unsucessfully several times over the years, but found a gem of a place in Greystones itself, .. the cats there get individual attention, constantly, they get Lyric FM..lol.. but the woman who owns and runs the place absolutely loves cats, her set up is brilliant, there is nothing I could fault her on, all for half the price of what they charge in Enniskerry, though I dont doubt that place is good, but personally the fact my cats are known and loved and looked after so well .. just had to throw a post in.. its located almost opposite the vet place at Blacklion, if anyone wants to know the name drop me a pm, or I think the Harbour vet clinic reccomend it.. Cloyne Cattery is the name..Cheers...

• Registered Users Posts: 320 ✭✭Sysiphus

Does anyone know of any dog sitters in the South Dublin/Bray area that could take two dogs for next Saturday night?
    We have been let down badly by Yuppie Puppie in Bray. The wife booked the dogs in and confirmed the booking over 5 weeks ago via their website with someone called Barbara. When she went to contact to confirm there was a voicemail message promising a return call. We have since been onto the number 4 times and no response and have also emailed and no response
    We are both extremely dissapointed about it. It was our anniversary night and we now have to cancel becuase it is too late now to find an alternative.

Sysiphus wrote: »
    Does anyone know of any dog sitters in the South Dublin/Bray area that could take two dogs for next Saturday night?
    We have been let down badly by Yuppie Puppie in Bray. The wife booked the dogs in and confirmed the booking over 5 weeks ago via their website with someone called Barbara. When she went to contact to confirm there was a voicemail message promising a return call. We have since been onto the number 4 times and no response and have also emailed and no response
    We are both extremely dissapointed about it. It was our anniversary night and we now have to cancel becuase it is too late now to find an alternative.

Is it just for one night? If you PM me your mobile I will forward it to the lady in Bray who took our one when we were going away ( came back to find the dog happy, healthy and rested!). If she can take them she will contact you.

Hi Woofie - that would be very kind of you.
    It is two dogs - they are cocker spaniels.
    I will ping you my number.
    Thanks
    S

Thank you so much woofie87! Your friend called and we are going out to meet tomorrow.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 1 GrainneC

Hi,
    I have a quiet Springer Spaniel 3yrs approx... rescued her last July and in unfamiliar surroundings she can be very nervous. Because of this, I do not want to put her into boarding kennels and also because she is a house dog. (She sleeps and spends must of her time with the full run of the house.:))

She does great with TLC and has no problem with other dogs.

Yes I have tried to contact Yuppie Puppies but when the lady got back to me it was too late and a friend helped me out instead. This lady in Bray seems great. Would you mind PM me her number please.

Thanks very much,
    Grainne

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement