Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all,
Vanilla are planning an update to the site on April 24th (next Wednesday). It is a major PHP8 update which is expected to boost performance across the site. The site will be down from 7pm and it is expected to take about an hour to complete. We appreciate your patience during the update.
Thanks all.

Boardsies Decide "The Funnies, Records that gave you a cringe or a chuckle"

Options
  • 27-11-2019 1:03pm
    Registered Users Posts: 10,896 ✭✭✭✭

Well we've had or are having
    Best Christmas Movie Competition - Boardsies decide!!!
    Boardsies Greatest One Hit Wonder Song
    Boardsies decide the best sporting moment of all time
    Best TV Show EVER - Boardsies Decide
    Best War Movie EVER - Boardsies Decide

So now it's time for The Funnies, you know the record that somehow made you chuckle or cringe.

So the criteria to keep it simple

Must have charted in the UK or Ireland Top 40 SINGLES (NO number 41+ won't do and nor will an album track ) according to either of these web sites

https://www.officialcharts.com/
    http://www.irishcharts.ie/

Number of entries and work matters will determine when the reveal is, but not expected until mid-late December, so plenty of time to get them lists in.

I will probably figure a seeding system out based on the chart performance or number of nominations.

EDIT SEEDING OF NOMINATIONS
    Songs will be Seeded by their average chart positions from the two web sites mentioned, if a song failed to chart in either of the Irish or UK charts then they will be given 40 points to seed.

For example a song gets No 1 in UK Charts and No Entry in Irish Charts then they will score (1+40)/2 or 20.5 Likewise if a song charts more than once then the average for seeding will be taken on all released years.

So PM's with your 5 nominations to me

Comments

• Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 51,012 Mod ✭✭✭✭Necro

Submitted!! This should be fun!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 13,404 ✭✭✭✭sKeith

In

• Registered Users Posts: 18,503 ✭✭✭✭Also Starring LeVar Burton

Submitted my nominations. Hopefully I've backed a winner in there.

Just wanna make sure I understand the brief before entering: we can submit genuinely good songs that are witty/clever/funny, as well as novelty songs that fall into either the "legitimately funny" or "absolute cringe" categories?

• Registered Users Posts: 10,896 ✭✭✭✭Spook_ie

I have no problems with any nominations , it will be for the voters to decide but it would be preferable if they were obviously funny or cringe rather than a good song with an odd theme.

Think Ernie by Benny Hill or Eh Oh by The Teletubbies rather than Nick Cave & Kylie Minogue - Where The Wild Roses Grow :)

• Advertisement

On a side note

I'm thinking that this might be a two way vote and losing tunes will be matched against each other so that we can find the worst as well as the best, any thoughts?

Would the cream rise to the top, would the cringiest record sink into oblivion that type of thing.

Just remembered this one from childhood days, sad that it never charted, so doesn't get into the match offs, but got so much airplay for me to remember it

Spook_ie wrote: »
    I have no problems with any nominations , it will be for the voters to decide but it would be preferable if they were obviously funny or cringe rather than a good song with an odd theme.

Think Ernie by Benny Hill or Eh Oh by The Teletubbies rather than Nick Cave & Kylie Minogue - Where The Wild Roses Grow :)

Haha, that is not what I had in mind here! :p I was thinking more along the lines of, say, National Express by the Divine Comedy - it's a funny song but it's not exactly Teletubbies! But we're looking more along the lines of the latter?

Also like the idea of the losers facing off to find the absolute worst, if it's not too much extra work for you!

Haha, that is not what I had in mind here! :p I was thinking more along the lines of, say, National Express by the Divine Comedy - it's a funny song but it's not exactly Teletubbies! But we're looking more along the lines of the latter?

Also like the idea of the losers facing off to find the absolute worst, if it's not too much extra work for you!

National Express is fine, where else would you get a lyric "But it's hard to get by when your arse is the size Of a small country"

So just working on the seedings for submissions so far and
    just a FYI

One submission was in the Irish and UK Charts for a total of 59 weeks and is seeded at 25 at the moment, and another that spent a whole week in the charts is seeded in last place.

Don't leave it to the last minute this vote WILL decide the CRINGIEST most DESPISED records nominated as well as those that gave us a GIGGLE and a SMILE

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 10,677 ✭✭✭✭Electric Nitwit

Just got my nominations in there

Sadly this didn't chart so didn't qualify, one of the most joyous pieces of stupidity ever...

• Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators Posts: 16,287 Mod ✭✭✭✭quickbeam

And in! It was hard to think of any. I think I might regret my choices!!

So we're up to 47 entries at the moment, and some of the nominations are, how shall I put this, ABYSMAL, I just don't remember them being that bad :D

Now some of them are definite funnies and will raise a chuckle in the memory cells of most people.

But come on anyway lads n lasses, keep them nominations coming.

Teaser There's one song that has been nominated by 3 different people and another by 2 different people and they are looking like being No 1 and 2 seed, both being No 1 in the UK and Irish Charts and only 1 year difference in their release dates

So we're now up to 58 songs, not many spaces left for you to get those songs in

Don't Cry If Your Song Isn't In

Could still do with a couple of nominees before I fill up the rest with wildcards

Health Warning
    BabyShark did chart in 2018 Don't say you weren't warned

I do think I may have gotten the spirit of the competition slightly wrong - I went for genuinely good songs that just happen to also be funny or more than a bit cheesy, but I'm interested to see who they're up against and how far they'll make it.
    Spook_ie wrote: »
    Could still do with a couple of nominees before I fill up the rest with wildcards

Health Warning
    BabyShark did chart in 2018 Don't say you weren't warned

Oh FFS. :mad:

I do think I may have gotten the spirit of the competition slightly wrong - I went for genuinely good songs that just happen to also be funny or more than a bit cheesy, but I'm interested to see who they're up against and how far they'll make it.

Oh FFS. :mad:

Oh I don't think it's the cringeworthy champion you might think, but the voting will decide

Anyways feel free to nominate a couple of extras to fill the grid up

So searching for wildcards and found this gem from 2010

This would be a serious contender for something, not sure what but definitely something and yes it did chart at No.21 Christmas 2010

• Advertisement

Just sent you a couple more. Maybe useless if they were already nominated though?

Room for 17 more nominations,

I do have 14 Wild Cards but would be nice to get peoples choices rather than mine

• Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 51,012 Mod ✭✭✭✭Necro

Fired on another 6 to you there Spook, if you want more let me know

Show off!!! ;)

Threw a few more your way as options, but only 1 which I actually give a sh*t about seeing in the competition, which I've indicated in the message.

quickbeam wrote: »
    Show off!!! ;)

I do love me some cheese :D

Advertisement