Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

What are the things you really wanted as a child?

• 14-11-2019 7:12pm
    Registered Users Posts: 30,128 ✭✭✭✭

One are these Simpsons fridge magnets!
    ?width=534&version=2770032

I was also sort of craved having a strong father figure for some reason.

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 32,688 ✭✭✭✭ytpe2r5bxkn0c1

I always wanted an electric train set but it was never to be.

I survived though and think I'm over the disappointment.

• Registered Users Posts: 8,077 ✭✭✭ceadaoin.

A Mr. Frosty. I always asked for one but never got it:(

• Registered Users Posts: 4,825 ✭✭✭LirW

I always wanted to go to Disneyland Paris. Growing up with the VHS they had their propaganda videos on it and I was obsessed with it!

And you know what happened? My granny, the horrible bint she is didn't say no, you know, like normal people would, nope. She went all out to tell us in detail, me aged around 6, on how she went and how awful and overpriced it was.
    Even though she was probably right, that still sticks with me and I just wanna go there now as an adult out of spite to have a great time because she was wrong and my dreams were right :D

• Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 60,049 Mod ✭✭✭✭Wibbs

:D:D

Rejoice in the awareness of feeling stupid, for that’s how you end up learning new things. If you’re not aware you’re stupid, you probably are.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,723 ✭✭✭dmc17

One of these things the turtles used to communicate. Imagine being able to talk to and see somebody who was in a different place :D

1987_Turtle_Comm.jpg

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 7,055 ✭✭✭JohnnyFlash

To see Galway win a hurling AI. Finally got to witness it as a spotty 15 year old in 1980.

• Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 60,049 Mod ✭✭✭✭Wibbs

I wanted the 1970's version of this.

Model-toys.jpg

The 70's version had a much longer wire going on though.

Rejoice in the awareness of feeling stupid, for that’s how you end up learning new things. If you’re not aware you’re stupid, you probably are.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,890 ✭✭✭Bullocks

I wanted to fúck Sabrina the teenage witch.

I wanted her aunt, (the older one).

Meccano. I was a true tomboy, and my parents indulged most of my desires including guns, airfix etc. Strangely my mother said “but that’s a boy’s toy” over the Meccano request;I think it must have been too expensive at the time, and her toy budget had run out.

I got an electric train, with opening doors! However I was disappointed there were no seats in it, so I got dolls house furniture and stuck them in with plasticine, including the toilet. Always wanted a Hornby set, but way beyond my patents’ purse.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 3,174 ✭✭✭RhubarbCrumble

ceadaoin. wrote: »
    A Mr. Frosty. I always asked for one but never got it:(

Ditto. I wanted a dolls house too but never got one.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 129 ✭✭GRACKEA

I begged for a trampoline every Christmas for about 4 years, obviously envisioning a big one out the back garden. My mam eventually "caved" and got me a little fitness trampoline. Joke was definitely on her when it indirectly caused my eventual eating disorder....

• Registered Users Posts: 4,599 ✭✭✭Day Lewin

A swimming pool, and I still do. :)

• Registered Users Posts: 6,061 ✭✭✭Trigger Happy

I wanted a scalextric set that was big enough to cover the bedroom floor.
    Someone else's bedroom though because mine was tiny.

Hungry hungry hippos. But my sister had it so my mum wouldn't let me get it even though my sister never once!..not once!!.. let me play it.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 156 ✭✭LuciX

Barbie dolls
    Go to Disneyland

• Registered Users Posts: 43,024 ✭✭✭✭SEPT 23 1989

a pair of shoes to cover my cold dirty feet

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,576 ✭✭✭Paddy Cow

I wanted Clark's magic Princess shoes for my communion. My mother had 7 kids though, so I didn't get them :(

• Registered Users Posts: 5,455 ✭✭✭maudgonner

Poochie

Never got one. But the spoiled bitch over the road did and used to leave it sitting on her windowsill so I could see it every time I went past. Bet she didn't even play with it. :mad:

Paddy Cow wrote: »
    I wanted Clark's magic Princess shoes for my communion. My mother had 7 kids though, so I didn't get them :(

Omg the nostalgia!!!

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Music Moderators Posts: 2,148 Mod ✭✭✭✭Oink

I’m not over it. I may get one yet.
    Did you read the article about Rod Stewart’s train set? I was green with envy.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,912 ✭✭✭Marhay70

Me too, my older cousin had a great one all laid out on a sheet of plywood with stations, signals, animals etc. I used to play with it when we went to visit and I was promised I could have it when he grew out of it. That was sixty years ago and I'm still waiting. Maybe next year.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,780 ✭✭✭BalcombeSt4

I was more obsessed with Man United winning the Champions League than Alex Ferguson was. I remember crying my eyes out when they were knocked out of the European Cup semi-finals to Dortmund in May 1997, I also remember crying a fair bit when Belgium beat Ireland in the 1998 World Cup play-offs in November 1997.

• Registered Users Posts: 71,799 ✭✭✭✭Ted_YNWA

I really wanted to find a secret tunnel growing up.

Too much time spent reading the Famous Five and the likes. With their fancy adventures the whole time. Never did find one.

• Registered Users Posts: 11,196 ✭✭✭✭RMAOK

To see Galway win a hurling AI. Finally got to witness it as a spotty 15 year old in 1980.

Same here, but I had to wait until September 2017.

Some things are worth waiting for, I guess.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,436 ✭✭✭dartboardio

A brother or sister!

Only child.. Pretty boring. Although spoiled of course.. But still, would have and still would love a brother or sister :(

Other than that, a puppy!

• Registered Users Posts: 32,634 ✭✭✭✭Graces7

I got an electric train, with opening doors! However I was disappointed there were no seats in it, so I got dolls house furniture and stuck them in with plasticine, including the toilet. Always wanted a Hornby set, but way beyond my parents’ purse.

My big brother was into model railways.. The new house had a hall with doors to main room and kitchen . so he laid tracks in a circle.. took over the house. Got away with it too, bless him,!

• Registered Users Posts: 546 ✭✭✭whodafunk

A Raleigh Burner BMX

• Registered Users Posts: 152 ✭✭Motherof123

I had a MR frosty they weren't great 😂

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 32,634 ✭✭✭✭Graces7

books!

My idea of heaven as we only had a visiting library one evening a week was a library that opened every day.

A neighbour's child had a whole bookcase filled with wonderful books. And once when she had a birthday party and I was anticipating a good read, I arrived to find the settee firmly blocking the bookcase and was told " so that you will join i the games and not read all the time." Need an emoticon for tears..

I have not changed; still rarely or never enough books! My heaven was the charity shops and a bagful from there!

Seeds sown in childhood..

Advertisement