Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all,
Vanilla are planning an update to the site on April 24th (next Wednesday). It is a major PHP8 update which is expected to boost performance across the site. The site will be down from 7pm and it is expected to take about an hour to complete. We appreciate your patience during the update.
Thanks all.

Munster Team Talk Thread - Snymans are(n't) Forever

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 9,957 ✭✭✭AbusesToilets

Hanrahan is not good enough, he never was and he certainly isn't now.

Realistically Munster need to assume that Carbery is done. They need someone of a similar calibre to either replace him or provide competition if he does come back.

Either give the young lads a run or come up with a better plan B.

There's probably a Byrne in the offing next seson

• Registered Users Posts: 16,669 ✭✭✭✭Clegg

Some analysis from Murray Kinsella. You've a very dangerous backline but zero intention to actually use it.

https://twitter.com/Murray_Kinsella/status/1302010111314063366?s=19

• Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 11,803 Mod ✭✭✭✭Cookiemunster

sydthebeat wrote: »
    So does van graans year four (final year) become a rebuilding year??

That's what it sounds like judging by these posts.

For accuracy, it's only his second full season and the first with his own coaching team. This was about what most were expecting with the new coaching team arriving around the disruption of the world cup at the start of the season, so this was the rebuilding year. With the injuries to Killer, Snyman, Kleyn and most importantly Carbery and the Covid disruption, I'm prepared to give a pass.

Next season however is a different story. The younger players need to be blooded (something which in fairness he has a good record of) and trusted and the gameplan against the top teams needs to evolve. Next season is most definitely now the last chance saloon.

• Administrators Posts: 53,358 Admin ✭✭✭✭✭awec

For accuracy, it's only his second full season and the first with his own coaching team. This was about what most were expecting with the new coaching team arriving around the disruption of the world cup at the start of the season, so this was the rebuilding year. With the injuries to Killer, Snyman and most importantly Carbery and the Covid disruption, I'm prepared to give a pass.

Next season however is a different story. The younger players need to be blooded (something which in fairness he has a good record of) and trusted and the gameplan against the top teams needs to evolve. Next season is most definitely now the last chance saloon.

With all due respect, I think there's too many excuses being made for Van Graan. Ulster went through the same bollocks with Kiss, and I remember having this same conversation at the end of last season.

If you think he's going to turn it around next season you are deluded. He's a lame duck who is out of his depth.

awec wrote: »
    With all due respect, I think there's too many excuses being made for Van Graan. Ulster went through the same bollocks with Kiss, and I remember having this same conversation at the end of last season.

If you think he's going to turn it around next season you are deluded. He's a lame duck who is out of his depth.

We'll see. But it's a moot point because he's not going anywhere before the end of next season.

• Advertisement
  • Subscribers Posts: 40,985 ✭✭✭✭sydthebeat

For accuracy, it's only his second full season and the first with his own coaching team. This was about what most were expecting with the new coaching team arriving around the disruption of the world cup at the start of the season, so this was the rebuilding year. With the injuries to Killer, Snyman and most importantly Carbery and the Covid disruption, I'm prepared to give a pass.

His first match was Nov 17.

No matter what way its painted, this is the end of his third season.

So either this coming season is the pinnacle, and 20/21 is the season for silverware, or munster should cut their losses now.

Personally, I think their 21 Heineken cup can really work to munsters favour. They can easily get to a HC semi in 21

• Registered Users Posts: 957 ✭✭✭BloodyBill

There has to be questions asked about the props . Ryan is not on form and is fairly limited. Archer hasn't an ounce of testosterone in his marshmallow body. That front row was beaten up a stick when it mattered. Killer and Kleyn could have evened things up.
    We all agree on Hanrahan. In a tight game he gets 'tight'. It wasnt even his goal kicking that stood out. His penalty kicks to touch didnt go the length of himself...you have to squeeze out every yard at this level. He had a penalty in the second half 30 yards out and still didn't get it to the 5 yard marker.
    Van Gran is 'all hat and no cattle'. He's painted himself into a corner by trying to build a massive dominant pack like South Africa and play conservative Cup rugby. Thats fine if we win. The problem is we don't have South African type props or a mammoth backrow even if Kleyn and Synman start. So we have the worst of both worlds. A big pack but not big enough to dominate and backs whom are rarely given ball

• Registered Users Posts: 1,017 ✭✭✭TomsOnTheRoof

That was very disappointing but not unexpected. It was noted by many before the match that the Munster front row would struggle and it came to pass. Would have been far better off with Ryan, O'Byrne and Cronin starting.

Half backs need to be dropped. Hanrahan isn't good enough. Never was and never will be and if that's harsh it's also true. Murray has been one of our best ever players but his reluctance to inject some pace (as well as the accuracy of some of his passes) is suffocating a very capable, on paper at least, back line. We need more from our scrum half. That was humiliating.

JvG is a buffer. I've followed Munster for over 15 years and I can't recall us having a more talented back five and how do we use them? We ask them to chase after box kicks when referees are essentially allowing blockers to fix the contest. I firmly believe Rassie foisted him on us to get him out of the South African system. Most SA supporters don't have a good thing to say about him and many believe he got his position through his connections.

Finally, Leinster were the deserving winners and would have won regardless but Brace is a very poor ref.

• Registered Users Posts: 9,957 ✭✭✭AbusesToilets

Clegg wrote: »
    Some analysis from Murray Kinsella. You've a very dangerous backline but zero intention to actually use it.

https://twitter.com/Murray_Kinsella/status/1302010111314063366?s=19

That's criminal with backs of that quality

• Registered Users Posts: 4,316 ✭✭✭Paul Smeenus

Those are some brutal stats.

Just watched the game - had it recorded on TG4.

I say this as a passionate, dyed-in-the-wool supporter of the province who has been sloppiest, scrappiest and least engaged of all four since rugby returned. So I am not getting any digs in. God knows how Ulster will fare tomorrow night. Don't think anyone would be surprised if we got reamed.

But that was an absolutely dire game. And Munster need to make some absolutely cut-throat decisions.

Those kicks Hanrahan missed were painful and extremely poor - but I'd lay the blame for the performance (and I mean performance rather than loss - we all keep losing to Leinster) squarely at the feet of your big names.

O'Mahony and De Allende were completely AWOL. Murray just repeated glacial box kick after box kick. Beirne is simply not tough enough - I keep harking back to a couple of years ago when you had Racing and Castres in your European group and he was anonymous throughout your Euro campaign. A big, gnarly pack and he has minimal influence. At second row, at least.

Your next games are Pro14, so you've some breathing room. I think Van Graan has to drop some big names. Start Beirne instead of POM at six - see how he goes there. Go with Holland and Wycherley at second row, until Kleyn gets back. Give Casey some starts. I was going to suggest O'Byrne rather than Scannell, but I looked him up and he's 29! So he's not going to kick on and he's not going to seriously improve the team.

You can't throw youth in unsupported and unchecked. I think your young 10s are simply too inexperienced to rotate them in instead of Hanrahan in any tough or meaningful game, unless you're prepared to lose and be philosophical. Bill Johnston is a bit of a loss to you guys. Ulster are wobbling at the moment but there's clearly A PLAN - Madigan over a season to let Johnston and Lowry develop, Matthewson to let Finlay and Doak develop. We're starting a Pro14 semifinal tomorrow with a 24 year old loosehead and a 21 year old tighthead. We'll feel the benefit of that not tomorrow but in a few years when they're properly the best we have in those positions, and, crucially, they won't be intimidated in those kinds of games. James Hume has the potential to be a brilliant centre and tomorrow evening he is running the 13 channel defence. Mark Bennett knows what he is doing and may make a ganch out of him - but we're moving forward in a way we haven't in years. I checked earlier and in the last decade we have had no less than 6 head coaches - McLaughlin, Anscombe, Kiss, Doak, Gibbes and McFarland. And before that, from 2004/05 to 2009/10, we had three head coaches - McCall, Steve Williams and Matt Williams. So - unbelievably - in the last fifteen years we've had 9 coaches. That, my friends, is mental. And reflects incredibly poorly on the Ulster set-up.

But it's also why I'm prepared to cut McFarland some serious slack. He's visibly and measurably building. He's righted the ship after that dreadful year when we were known primarily for the court case, in a way that Kiss and Gibbes seemed powerless to do. And I have to ask - is the idea that Larkham is a great backs coach - at club level, without the embarrassment of riches Oz had in the international backline - based on anything other than the fact that he was a good player? Because the coach that got Ulster to an HEC final after many years was also the guy that used to lecture me about fading in and out of games and give me a dressing down about not even trying when we were playing basketball - a school sports teacher. Coaching and playing are two totally different skill sets.

So, I suppose the question is, what do you want now from Van Graan and his team? Would it be acceptable to not make any play-offs next season but have Casey, Wycherley, Daly, Hodnett, Salanoa well established?

In all honesty, I think the sooner the media and fans let go of an underlying assumption that Munster deserve to be at the top table, the sooner the coaches will feel free to make some tough decisions and lose some potentially winnable games in order to improve for the future. And a lot of that assumption is on lazy, uninterested sports writers.

Hang dai, Munster fans. The very best of luck.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 4,316 ✭✭✭Paul Smeenus

AND THAT IS MY EXPERT OPINION ON THE MATTER

• Registered Users Posts: 1,860 ✭✭✭realhorrorshow

From the outside looking in it seems like Munster are relying on winning collisions but don't have the personnel to do so at the top level. I think it's possible to get away with selecting one or two forwards for qualities other than winning gainline but a pack featuring Scannell, Archer, Holland, and O'Mahony (and you could argue the toss about Beirne and Loughman) together is too underpowered.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,800 ✭✭✭Tomtom364

JvG is a buffer. I've followed Munster for over 15 years and I can't recall us having a more talented back five and how do we use them? We ask them to chase after box kicks when referees are essentially allowing blockers to fix the contest. I firmly believe Rassie foisted him on us to get him out of the South African system. Most SA supporters don't have a good thing to say about him and many believe he got his position through his connections.

Go listen to the interviews with DdA and RG Snyman. When asked why Munster? The first thing out of their mouths is Coach Johan.

Think they'd have a better measure of the guy then allegedly "Most SA supporters"

The performance was obviously awful today, but so far this season noone else has come up with a game plan to beat Leinster so it's not all that surprising that Munster couldn't either.

There was a serious lack of bulk & ball carrying in the pack today, to compensate they went all out after the line out and today that failed.

The injuries in the first game against Leinster absolutely killed Munsters chances for this game (never mind not having carbery) and the 5 day turn around against a rested Leinster team was always going to be difficult

Personally, as much as I'd have liked Munster to win this pro14, I honestly just didn't really care about how this mini season would go. just delighted rugby is back.
    Roll on next season in a few weeks and I just hope we see more progress in the game plan similar to the start of the season last year, Munster played some bloody great rugby then!

And importantly, some freshening up of the team selections. Players like Holland and Archer (great servants) should be riding the bench while Knox & Wycherley start. A balance must be found but a leap of faith must also be taken on some promising replacements

• Registered Users Posts: 11,124 ✭✭✭✭Burkie1203

Tomtom364 wrote: »
    Go listen to the interviews with DdA and RG Snyman. When asked why Munster? The first thing out of their mouths is Coach Johan.

Think they'd have a better measure of the guy then allegedly "Most SA supporters"

The injuries in the first game against Leinster absolutely killed Munsters chances for this game (never mind not having carbery) and the 5 day turn around against a rested Leinster team was always going to be difficult

Two news signings are not going to go nuclear on the coach of the team they just signed. They are hear for the money. Nothing wrong with that either. The evidence of what Munster are doing Under JVG suggests this coach has no idea how to get the best out of

Murray JJH Earls DDA Farrell Conway Daly.

The only real positive for Munster in the last few weeks is Casey and Daly. Munster need to have a season where they accept a pro14 playoff might be missed in order to blood guys.

The 5 day turnaround is a bit of a weak excuse. Leinster will have had training sessions of a similar level of intensity. Munster basically put in a 20 min shift last Sunday and the game was done once cards came

Munster thought they could boxkick there way to victory after a poor showing by Leinster 2 weeks ago. Leinster improved areas that didn't function. Munster basically put in the same showing.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,609 ✭✭✭Jump_In_Jack

Anyone else feel the tactics were fine but the execution of the box kicks by Murray was the problem?
    Kicks landed 5 metres too far away for chasers to compete.

The interviews after the match were interesting, Caelan Doris said the ball was greasy and hard to hold onto, and Leo Cullen said Munster’s tactics did really frustrate Leinster.

Losing possession in the line-outs at crucial moments cost us.

One time the ball was thrown between Holland and Toner at the back, think Toner hardly had to jump to win it.

Another one Leinster stole near the Leinster 22.

Our second rows are not doing the core work expected of a second row, not tall enough, we surely have a tall academy player to step in, using Holland, Wycherley is not good enough, and why Beirne didn’t run the line-out? He’s 6’6”, but for some reason he didn’t get the ball in the line-out much. Perhaps it was Munster trying to bluff because we didn’t have two tall options.

Munster looked good with Casey speeding up the play.
    He’s better than Murray already, would like to see him get more than 8 minutes when the game is practically gone.

The Munster pack seem to lack power, but when they picked the ball quickly they found gaps to keep the forward momentum going. Perhaps we need to start telling the forwards to take more responsibility to pick and go when it’s on.

Missing Snyman for the whole season is a sickener, and missing Kleyn and Kilcoyne probably cost us a bit of aggression in the pack.

Why didn’t we use our big centres every now and then, Farrell hardly got a pass all match.

Roll on the new season, glad to be watching matches again regardless of the result.

• Registered Users Posts: 17,300 ✭✭✭✭razorblunt

The tactics involved static, one man out carries, as they always do, with Murray taking an age to get the ball. The Leinster backline were just lined up and waiting for it every single time. There were numerous occasions when Leinster players had time to set and catch their breath before Murray did anything with it.

The pretty unceremoniously dropped Stringer for Murray when he was breaking through, it’s now come full circle.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 322 ✭✭Superfoods

Anyone else feel the tactics were fine but the execution of the box kicks by Murray was the problem?

The interviews after the match were interesting, Caelan Doris said the ball was greasy and hard to hold onto, and Leo Cullen said Munster’s tactics did really frustrate Leinster.

One time the ball was thrown between Holland and Toner at the back, think Toner hardly had to jump to win it.

Our second rows are not doing the core work expected of a second row, not tall enough, we surely have a tall academy player to step in, using Holland, Wycherley is not good enough, and why Beirne didn’t run the line-out? He’s 6’6”, but for some reason he didn’t get the ball in the line-out much. Perhaps it was Munster trying to bluff because we didn’t have two tall options.

He’s better than Murray already, would like to see him get more than 8 minutes when the game is practically gone.

The Munster pack seem to lack power, but when they picked the ball quickly they found gaps to keep the forward momentum going. Perhaps we need to start telling the forwards to take more responsibility to pick and go when it’s on.

Missing Snyman for the whole season is a sickener, and missing Kleyn and Kilcoyne probably cost us a bit of aggression in the pack.

Why didn’t we use our big centres every now and then, Farrell hardly got a pass all match.

Roll on the new season, glad to be watching matches again regardless of the result.

Yeah tactics are grand, nothing to see here, please move on

I don’t see why you say tactics are grand and then say they never used the centres, would it not be tactic to use the centres?

razorblunt wrote: »

The pretty unceremoniously dropped Stringer for Murray when he was breaking through, it’s now come full circle.

O'Leary was the guy who usurped Stringer.

• Registered Users Posts: 8,473 ✭✭✭lawrencesummers

Two top class powerful centers and two international wingers who are playing excellent rugby.

Not once was there an attempt to have a winger run a line off a center Carrying hard looking to offload.

Two one out carries followed by a box kick.
    Work hard for turnover
    Two one out carries followed by a box kick
    Work hard for turnover

Repeat

Repeat

Repeat

• Registered Users Posts: 3,609 ✭✭✭Jump_In_Jack

Superfoods wrote: »

I don’t see why you say tactics are grand and then say they never used the centres, would it not be tactic to use the centres?

The tactic of a box kick with a greasy ball is a fair tactic, but losing possession because the catcher is not being put under enough pressure should have been flagged, and every now and then switch it up with a crash ball in the centre.

I guess the idea might have been to get into an attacking position first via kicking or line-outs, but never got the platform off those plays to use the centres to crash and open space for the back three.
    The Leinster line was never exposed.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 37,978 ✭✭✭✭irishbucsfan

Well ACTUALLY that would be a strategy *pushes rugby glasses up nose*

• Registered Users Posts: 14,967 ✭✭✭✭The Lost Sheep

The tactics arent fine though. Munster are desperately predictable and the tactics arent good enough to beat the better sides in knockout rugby
    Holland is a decent lineout operator but height wasnt reason Munsters lineout wasnt fantastic.
    Casey has huge potential and needs to be seen more but no he isnt better than Murray already.

• Registered Users Posts: 17,300 ✭✭✭✭razorblunt

O'Leary was the guy who usurped Stringer.

Ah yeah!

• Registered Users Posts: 10,001 ✭✭✭✭Caranica

We need to ditch the archaic notion that 10s kick goals. Rory Scannell and Conor Murray are both great kickers. Needs to be horses for courses. Look at Auckland Blues switching between Black and Barrett depending on the angle. Too much pressure on JJ. A 10 needs to marshall the game, goal kicks are a tiny proportion of their game.

Is John Ryan having health issues again? For the life of me I don't understand why we started Archer. Holland is there to fill gaps during international weeks, should not be starting in big games. Wycherley was a candidate for motm last week. Mindless to bench him this week.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,800 ✭✭✭Tomtom364

I'd like to see some alternation in some positions at the start of the next pro 14 (12?) season before the internationals leave. A sample team of what I'd like to see

Also, just to note, not calling for people to.be dropped, some of the decisions (like earls) to allow a good bit of down time to internationals before a busy period for them, this is a suggested rotates team not a pick of the team for the season

15. Haley
    14. Conway
    13. Farrell
    12. DdA
    11. Daly
    10. Healy
    9. Casey

1. Killer (Cronin)
    2. Marshall
    3. Knox
    4. Wycherley
    5. Assuming Klyne injured, Ahern (bierne if judged to be not ready)
    6. Bierne (JOD if not ahern above)
    7. Hodnett
    8. CJ

16. Scannell
    17. Loughman
    18. Ryan
    19. Holland (Ahern)
    20. JOD (Coombes)
    21. Murray
    22. JJ (or Scannell)
    23. Goggin ( Nash if Scannell above)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 222 ✭✭VANG1

If only you had grabbed Madigan, he would not have missed those vital kicks.

• Registered Users Posts: 8,473 ✭✭✭lawrencesummers

The other aspect of the reliance on kicking is that three times against Connacht when it was 15 against 13 munster player decided to kick instead of running and looking for gaps that had to exist.

It’s not that a backup tactic is to kick, sometimes it’s the first instinct of players.

• Registered Users Posts: 13,001 ✭✭✭✭Interested Observer

sydthebeat wrote: »
    So does van graans year four (final year) become a rebuilding year??

That's what it sounds like judging by these posts.

What does a rebuild look like? The squad is what it is for the next season or two.

They need to change the way that they play. They can do that with the existing personnel. The game at the weekend was an absolute shocker, hopefully it's apparent it isn't going to get them anywhere.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 322 ✭✭Superfoods

I have talked to a couple of Munster fans and to be honest I am amazed. Nobody seems to have any issue with Van Grann

The lad is in the job now a number of years and if anything the team is going backwards. He has failed to bring players from the academy into the squad, this of course creates lack of depth in the squad. He has the least amount of minutes given to academy plauyers

The coachs got sacked last year, new coachs and same rugby. So that isnt coming from larkham, that coming from Van Grann. To be Rassie sold Munster a bit of a pup.

The last Irish coach who was top in Munster didn't get the same leeway afforded to Van Grann, why is that?

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 10,217 Mod ✭✭✭✭aloooof

The last Irish coach who was top in Munster didn't get the same leeway afforded to Van Grann, why is that?

Whatever you are suggesting here is wide of the mark. By any measure, Van Graan's results have been better and more consistent.

Foley didn't make it out of a Champions Cup group in 2 attempts. JvG has made 2 semi-finals. Foley made a Pro12 final in his first year, but finished 6th the following year, needing a win on the final day to ensure Champions Cup qualification. JvG has made 3 SF's.

Also, during Foley's time, Leinster weren't the juggernaut they've become since then. The bar is higher.

Advertisement