Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all,
Vanilla are planning an update to the site on April 24th (next Wednesday). It is a major PHP8 update which is expected to boost performance across the site. The site will be down from 7pm and it is expected to take about an hour to complete. We appreciate your patience during the update.
Thanks all.

Senior Garda suspended from duty.

Options
  • 03-01-2019 10:16pm
    Registered Users Posts: 7,826 ✭✭✭

The officer is facing allegations of serious misconduct and is the subject of a Garda Ombudsman inquiry.

I wonder has the case been in the public domain already.

"Very soon we are going to Mars. You wouldn't have been going to Mars if my opponent won, that I can tell you. You wouldn't even be thinking about it."

Donald Trump, March 13th 2018.

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 2,092 ✭✭✭The Tetrarch

You have got me uninterested.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,771 ✭✭✭Fann Linn

The officer is facing allegations of serious misconduct and is the subject of a Garda Ombudsman inquiry.

I wonder has the case been in the public domain already.

I wonder has it anything to do with the Castlerea affair?

• Registered Users Posts: 7,826 ✭✭✭Rows Grower

Fann Linn wrote: »
    I wonder has it anything to do with the Castlerea affair?

I dunno, would the guy who was recently involved in the shooting of the man (and dog?) be considered a senior garda?

"Very soon we are going to Mars. You wouldn't have been going to Mars if my opponent won, that I can tell you. You wouldn't even be thinking about it."

• Registered Users Posts: 6,533 ✭✭✭Allinall

A bit of back up would help.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,771 ✭✭✭Fann Linn

I dunno, would the guy who was recently involved in the shooting of the man (and dog?) be considered a senior garda?

That was Strokestown. There was an incident a week before in Castlerea were 2 men were badly beaten by Garda and 700 to 1000 people protested over their treatment.
    GSOC were involved.

• Advertisement

Independent is reporting the investigation began in November.

• Registered Users Posts: 569 ✭✭✭Phoenix3

I doubt very much if it is him. HE didn't do any wrong in fairness. The dog still hasn't been found.

Allinall wrote: »
    A bit of back up would help.

Probably a union member or has legal adviser.

The Irish Times have said he is a member of senior Garda management and the investigation is into allegations of corruption.

This new Commissioner is shaking things up.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,972 ✭✭✭Odhinn

The Irish Times have said he is a member of senior Garda management and the investigation is into allegations of corruption.

This new Commissioner is shaking things up.

Ye'd hope so.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 19,802 ✭✭✭✭suicide_circus

He was framed by Internal Affairs!

It's the Assistant Garda Commissioner Fintan Fanning that has been suspended.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 18,268 ✭✭✭✭uck51js9zml2yt

Source?

• Registered Users Posts: 1,958 ✭✭✭Sheep breeder

Not very nice thing to do to name a person. By any chance are you a Garda and playing a bit of the old politics.

Not very nice thing to do to name a person. By any chance are you a Garda and playing a bit of the old politics.

I hope you're better at sheep breeding than you are at playing the amateur detective.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,075 ✭✭✭JMNolan

How is it not nice when the name is reported in the Indo?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 8,555 ✭✭✭Roger Hassenforder

TodayFM news reported the suspension relates to a protected disclosure made by a Garda last November.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 498 ✭✭zapitastas

That's an unfortunate photo, looks like dougal made it to be a high ranking Garda

• Registered Users Posts: 23,797 ✭✭✭✭Larbre34

Fanning's name has been associated with a couple of high profile internal Garda HR rows in recent years, including the treatment of himself in a promotions process and the disciplinary process surrounding a couple of other Gardaí.

This is not me speculating, they have been reported in mainstream publications.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 23,797 ✭✭✭✭Larbre34

zapitastas wrote: »
    That's an unfortunate photo, looks like dougal made it to be a high ranking Garda

Its the one on the Executive Team profile page of the Garda website. Make of that what you will.

zapitastas wrote: »

It's like someone with an old Nokia caught him by surprise.

• Registered Users Posts: 400 ✭✭Slasher

"Asst Commissioner Fanning has an impeccable record spanning decades of service, and is highly experienced and respected."

Piece co-written by Paul Williams. Surprise, surprise.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 7,070 ✭✭✭Franz Von Peppercorn

A google of his name brings up some Facebook pages on supposed corruption. Which means this is fake news. Russian.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,365 ✭✭✭Alrigghtythen

He has been a member of An Garda Síochána for 39 years, having joined in 1980, and is due to retire on age grounds in August of this year.

Nice, due for retirement, they'll give it to him early.

• Registered Users Posts: 11,758 ✭✭✭✭BattleCorp

Anybody any idea regarding what type of allegations are being investigated?

• Registered Users Posts: 12,235 ✭✭✭✭Cee-Jay-Cee

BattleCorp wrote: »

Yes...serious misconduct allegations.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,950 ✭✭✭ChikiChiki

Drew Harris making a strong point here. Good to see.

BattleCorp wrote: »

The Irish Times yesterday evening reported it was corruption.

I presume there will be more details revealed in the coming days but it's obviously something of major concern to have someone of that rank investigated never mind suspended.

• Advertisement

ChikiChiki wrote: »
    Drew Harris making a strong point here. Good to see.

I know nothing about the man but he seems to be taking his new job very seriously.

It is some statement of intent to the rank and file and it's all credit to Maurice McCabe at the end of the day.

Advertisement