Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Anti-vaxxers

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 16,106 ✭✭✭✭Grayson

xzanti wrote: »
    Below is an excerpt from the Centre for Disease Control website. I just randomly picked the HPV vaccine, but the advice is similar for most of the vaccines.

I'm not an "anti-vaxxer". My son is vaccinated fully. But I would ponder why there is no allergy test for kids before the vaccines are given. They appear to acknowledge that some are susceptible to allergic reaction. But how are we to know if we're going to have a "life threatening reaction" to a vaccine, if you've never had it before?

I would akin it to handing out peanuts to a class full of kids, who've never had peanuts, without some sort of patch test first.

https://www.google.ie/url?sa=t&rct=j&q=&esrc=s&source=web&cd=3&cad=rja&uact=8&ved=0ahUKEwjemMP2kPLVAhWJJ8AKHd0vAFMQFgg3MAI&url=https%3A%2F%2Fwww.cdc.gov%2Fvaccines%2Fvpd%2Fshould-not-vacc.html&usg=AFQjCNEVCEMw1EcrBwUUORNWItttJv7VuA

That would depend on the rates of peanut allergies Vs the rates of vaccine allergies.

Lots of things like aspirin are given to people without knowing if they have an allergy for it. It's just not practical to test like that.
    Plus without the vaccine what are the percentage chances of the kid getting sick and dying?

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 3,246 ✭✭✭judeboy101

Grayson wrote: »
    Did you read to the end of that?

European and north american not the same batch.

• Registered Users Posts: 999 ✭✭✭Ashbourne hoop

tigger123 wrote: »
    The parents are making bad decisions based on scientifically unfounded concerns, and jeopardizing the health of their kids. Its pretty awful.

All based on ****e they read on their FB feed.

That's it exactly. There is no reasoning with them. Any scientific proof you give them is dismissed as "big pharma"...its quite scary the amount of people who believe this

That's it exactly. There is no reasoning with them. Any scientific proof you give them is dismissed as "big pharma"...its quite scary the amount of people who believe this

The same big pharma that experimented on Irish boys and girls in mother and baby homes?

• Registered Users Posts: 16,539 ✭✭✭✭osarusan

If my understanding of the law is correct, a parent who is simply too lazy or disorganised to get their child vaccinated can get into legal trouble for exposing the child to serious risk of harm, but if they make a decision (on whatever principle) not to vaccinate their child, then they can't...even though obviously the exposure to risk is just the same. Completely bizarre, if true.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2,655 ✭✭✭draiochtanois

This post has been deleted.

• Registered Users Posts: 999 ✭✭✭Ashbourne hoop

judeboy101 wrote: »
    The same big pharma that experimented on Irish boys and girls in mother and baby homes?

As I recall it was "big pharma" (GSK)who uncovered and revealed this after they bought one of the labs involved. Nothing really to do with anti vaxxers though.

• Moderators, Entertainment Moderators Posts: 10,434 Mod ✭✭✭✭xzanti

That would depend on the rates of peanut allergies Vs the rates of vaccine allergies.

Lots of things like aspirin are given to people without knowing if they have an allergy for it. It's just not practical to test like that.
    Plus without the vaccine what are the percentage chances of the kid getting sick and dying?

Good point.

But, with vaccines being such a hotly debated and loaded subject among parents. Would it not be in the interest of the Pharmacy industry to provide some sort of reassurance for parents who may be on the fence, or just plain terrified of vaccinating? If they could be told that their child will have an allergy test before the shot is given? If it was even available upon request only.

If it even boosted the rate of vaccinations by a few percent, and saved a few lives, wouldn't it be worth it?

• Registered Users Posts: 10,969 ✭✭✭✭alchemist33

judeboy101 wrote: »

No. "Big pharma" is not a single entity.

No. "Big pharma" is not a single entity.

Sire it isn't, same way the tobacco industry isn't.

• Advertisement

Any parent that doesn't vaccinate their child should be blocked from receiving any benefits whatsoever with regards to said child - they should lose all child payment. They are the sole reason why in some parts of the world we're getting a resurgence of diseases and illness that haven't been seen for decades.

We vaccinate for a reason.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,022 ✭✭✭jamesbere

I think that Facebook is a cancer on society for this among other things.

It's not Facebooks fault, it's the idiots on it that are the problem

• Registered Users Posts: 4,825 ✭✭✭LirW

Good point.

But, with vaccines being such a hotly debated and loaded subject among parents. Would it not be in the interest of the Pharmacy industry to provide some sort of reassurance for parents who may be on the fence, or just plain terrified of vaccinating? If they could be told that their child will have an allergy test before the shot is given? If it was even available upon request only.

If it even boosted the rate of vaccinations by a few percent, and saved a few lives, wouldn't it be worth it?

But what I don't understand is that people take pain killers and a huge amount of other over-the-counter stuff without even questioning it or worrying about allergies. Tampons can have side effects, birth control has side effects (I mean people have latex allergies or react to the lube), many painkillers do. But people usually don't waste a second thinking about these before using it.
    Why with vaccines?

I mean when your car breaks or a pipe you consult a mechanic or a plumber and take their expert advise. Why is there so much mistrust when it comes to doctors?

• Registered Users Posts: 2,496 ✭✭✭irishgrover

Did you read to the end of that?

But the CDC study was for the US vaccine, which did not contain the compound that it's EU counterparts had linked to narcolepsy....?
    So unless I'm missing something (which is totally possible) I think that your assessment is invalid?

• Registered Users Posts: 2,655 ✭✭✭draiochtanois

This post has been deleted.

LirW wrote: »
    But what I don't understand is that people take pain killers and a huge amount of other over-the-counter stuff without even questioning it or worrying about allergies. Tampons can have side effects, birth control has side effects (I mean people have latex allergies or react to the lube), many painkillers do. But people usually don't waste a second thinking about these before using it.
    Why with vaccines?

I mean when your car breaks or a pipe you consult a mechanic or a plumber and take their expert advise. Why is there so much mistrust when it comes to doctors?

Because the things you mention are consumed by grown adults, who are making the choices for themselves.

Parents making choices for their newborn babies or their children is a different story altogether.

That would be my take on it anyway.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,433 ✭✭✭tigger123

Good point.

Vaccination isn't hotly debated though. Its a tiny subset of parents, and a movement thats far more present online than in real life. They are then taking their own poor decision and making their child potentially suffer for it.

I'd wager that most anti vaxxers have been vaccinated themselves (but that's beside the point).

Nobody decides on a flight that they all of a sudden don't trust the pilot, the airline or the aviation authorities and decide to walk the rest of the way.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,498 ✭✭✭blue note

We offer the flu vaccine for free in work and I'm always amazed that only about half of the office take it up. And from talking to those that don't some of them are out of nerves about what a vaccine might do to them. One person is convinced she contracted the flu from the vaccine one year. I think the people with doubts about vaccines are very common.

I like the idea that some country had (I think it was Australia) where you don't get free medical care for treatment of a disease which could have been prevented by vaccination. But there's the obvious problem then of who ends up suffering from this? If the parents decide not to get a kid vaccinated it's their fault, but if he gets sick and they don't want to pay for treatment what happens?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,707 ✭✭✭arayess

it is interesting how the consent is thrown out the window in this matter.
    I thought consent was an all important concept.

how is forcing a vaccinate on somebody - injecting it into their body any different from other forms of bodily consent.

I know...cos the boards elite says so...we all have freedom of choice once its the choice the mob agree with

arayess wrote: »
    it is interesting how the consent is thrown out the window in this matter.
    I thought consent was an all important concept.

how is forcing a vaccinate on somebody - injecting it into their body any different from other forms of bodily consent.

I know...cos the boards elite says so...we all have freedom of choice once its the choice the mob agree with

I would argue that if you're not vaccinating your child, then you're forcing potential deadly and lifechanging illnesses on other children. When did they consent to that?

Again- there's a reason we vaccinate. Just because you're some pseudoscience nitwit who bases their opinion from Facebook posts, doesn't entitle you to putting other children in danger.

• Advertisement

Because the things you mention are consumed by grown adults, who are making the choices for themselves.

Parents making choices for their newborn babies or their children is a different story altogether.

That would be my take on it anyway.

Again parents give their kids Calpol which can cause complications in some cases. Or other Pain killers. Maybe it has to do that a vaccine doesn't show the same effect Calpol would = bringing fever down quickly.
    I don't know, it's still a bit crazy to me.

I would akin it to handing out peanuts to a class full of kids, who've never had peanuts, without some sort of patch test first.
    If someone hasn't given their kid a peanut before 6 then they're begging for them to be allergic.

• Registered Users Posts: 8,080 ✭✭✭ceadaoin.

My daughter is up to date on her vaccines. Her school did ask for a list from her doctor of everything she'd had but I don't know if she would have been denied entry to the school of I didn't provide it. something like the hpv one I would research more before allowing her to get it. It's relatively new and as far as I remember it has been associated with some negative side effects such as girls developing narcolepsy?

I don't know, I can see why some parents might decide not to vaccinate but if that number becomes too many then the immunity of the general population is put at risk. It's hard to know where to draw the line. Some people are unable to get vaccines for various health reasons and they are particularly vulnerable. I suppose the older well tested vaccines could be mandatory. Newer or unnecessary ones, like the flu vaccine should be optional.

If someone hasn't given their kid a peanut before 6 then they're begging for them to be allergic.

But we're not talking about peanuts. I used that as an example.

As I said, I'm pro vaccine. I'm just musing that if there was a patch test available, it might alleviate some fears that 'some' parents may have about vaccinating.

Newer or unnecessary ones, like the flu vaccine should be optional.

The influenza is necessary for pregnant women and elderly. People mistake a proper influenza with some nasty bug or cold with fever. It isn't. Influenza isn't too common but if you catch it and aren't in strong health, you can easily find yourself in hospital.

Also HPV is one both of my kids will get (boy and girl). 80% of the population carries one or more types of HPV in them. The latest vaccines you get for it protect against up to 9 HPV stems now. Protecting my daughter from cancer is something I see as my obligation. There is a lot of research done in the HPV area lately, which is very good.
    Not too long ago, when the vaccination came on the market, it cost 600 Euro to get them. Our children get them for free (I think here in Ireland it's only girls at the moment?). A negative smear result isn't fun and even though it's not cancer in a lot of cases it needs to be monitored and requires screening every few months over the course of a few years.

The influenza is necessary for pregnant women and elderly. People mistake a proper influenza with some nasty bug or cold with fever. It isn't. Influenza isn't too common but if you catch it and aren't in strong health, you can easily find yourself in hospital.

Yes, unless you're part of a vulnerable group, or a healthcare worker, the flu vaccine is unnecessary

ceadaoin. wrote: »
    Yes, unless you're part of a vulnerable group, or a healthcare worker, the flu vaccine is unnecessary

Well if I can avoid a disgusting infection and it's free, I gladly take it. I'd prefer a vaccine over the use of antibiotics really, which you need when you catch it.

Well if I can avoid a disgusting infection and it's free, I gladly take it. I'd prefer a vaccine over the use of antibiotics really, which you need when you catch it.

Some years the vaccine isn't very effective at all, plus the chances of you actually catching it are slim. I don't see the point. I had the vaccine once when I was pregnant, that's it and I've never had the flu. Besides, it's a virus, why would you need antibiotics for it? They aren't going to do anything

The Flu is a virus. Can't take antibiotics for a virus.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 27,564 ✭✭✭✭steddyeddy

I think vaccination of children should be mandatory. I don't think people should have the right to put their child and others at greater risk.

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement