Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all,
Vanilla are planning an update to the site on April 24th (next Wednesday). It is a major PHP8 update which is expected to boost performance across the site. The site will be down from 7pm and it is expected to take about an hour to complete. We appreciate your patience during the update.
Thanks all.

Father Ted

Comments

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 9,441 ✭✭✭old hippy

I've missed my fix of clerical based comedy; the mouthy militants that preach hatred over here are a one trick pony, so let me recommend some contemporary eclesiastical jollies in the shape of Rev with the magnificent Tom Hollander. Much more subtle than Ted, sure but it's wonderfuly acted and worth a look, IMHO...

• Closed Accounts Posts: 10,838 ✭✭✭✭3hn2givr7mx1sc

"I love my brick!"

• Registered Users Posts: 43,311 ✭✭✭✭K-9

Forgot about the Dancing Priest:

And the Spinmaster, the raffle episode is very good too.

Mad Men's Don Draper : What you call love was invented by guys like me, to sell nylons.

"Now, Father, What would you say to a cup of tea?"
    "Feck off cup!"

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,044 ✭✭✭gcgirl

Feeona wrote: »
    Johner wrote: »

Get them feckin crunchies out of the car. :D

Loved John and Mary!

Mary-You've a face like a pair of tits.
    John-At least that's one pair between us....ah hello father.
    Mary actually lives down here
    See her a few times around the town

• Advertisement

Lampshade
    Curtains
    Floor
    Gobshyte

old hippy wrote: »
    I've missed my fix of clerical based comedy; the mouthy militants that preach hatred over here are a one trick pony, so let me recommend some contemporary eclesiastical jollies in the shape of Rev with the magnificent Tom Hollander. Much more subtle than Ted, sure but it's wonderfuly acted and worth a look, IMHO...
    See it a few times quite good

• Closed Accounts Posts: 11 BO NER

love the one where ted wrecks the car and the dj with only 1 cd .best show on tv imo

"Oh, by the way. I got the keys to your car, and I drove it into a big wall. If you don't like it, tough! I had my fun, and that's all that matters."

What an epic show, its on re-watching episodes you really start to appreciate how funny it is and pick up on some of the more subtle jokes.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,925 ✭✭✭aidan24326

marketty wrote: »
    I think a better question is what's the worst episode?
    Its such a consistently brilliant show that I can't think of one episode that fell flat, I'll be surprised if anyone can.

You're quite right. There isn't really a bad episode at all. Shame that Dermot Morgan died so prematurely just when he was starting to get the credit he always deserved. Ireland's answer to John Cleese as a comic genius. His Scrap Saturday stuff was classic aswell. Too controversial for conservative Ireland at that time though.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 6,084 ✭✭✭oppenheimer1

It really is terrific. Stands the test of time so well. There's so many good episodes.

It was good, but its not timeless. It was a satire of Irish life in the mid nineties. With the destruction of the churches reputation in the last 5 years, I doubt many teenagers would "get it" today.

• Registered Users, Subscribers Posts: 13,423 ✭✭✭✭antodeco

But of course, they all have lovely episodes

• Closed Accounts Posts: 328 ✭✭Nevermind_

one of my fav hidden jokes in fr ted is in the episode "a song for europe" if you look very carefully at the names of the songs written on the board with the scores behind the presenter, one of the songs is called "ye dirty english bastards" by the hairy bowsies
    Considering the show was only made because a uk broadcaster channel 4 took a chance on it, i thought it was quite funny

• Registered Users Posts: 1,241 ✭✭✭baalthor

aidan24326 wrote: »
    marketty wrote: »
    I think a better question is what's the worst episode?
    Its such a consistently brilliant show that I can't think of one episode that fell flat, I'll be surprised if anyone can.

You're quite right. There isn't really a bad episode at all. Shame that Dermot Morgan died so prematurely just when he was starting to get the credit he always deserved. Ireland's answer to John Cleese as a comic genius. His Scrap Saturday stuff was classic aswell. Too controversial for conservative Ireland at that time though.
    Neither show was at all controversial

• Registered Users Posts: 645 ✭✭✭dagdha

Nevermind_ wrote: »
    one of my fav hidden jokes in fr ted is in the episode "a song for europe" if you look very carefully at the names of the songs written on the board with the scores behind the presenter, one of the songs is called "ye dirty english bastards" by the hairy bowsies
    Considering the show was only made because a uk broadcaster channel 4 took a chance on it, i thought it was quite funny

One of the other songs was "The drums of Africa are calling me home" by Sean O'Brien

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,268 ✭✭✭BunShopVoyeur

Father Ted has a couple of good moments. Pretty mediocre.

• Registered Users Posts: 12,478 ✭✭✭✭gnfnrhead

It was good, but its not timeless. It was a satire of Irish life in the mid nineties. With the destruction of the churches reputation in the last 5 years, I doubt many teenagers would "get it" today.
    I know people as young as 16 who absolutly love it. I dont know many people younger than that well enough to make a judgement but down to at least 16 love it. I'm guessing that was more or less the youngest the creators had in mind. Dont think they were doing it for the 10 year olds.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,269 ✭✭✭_feedback_

Father Ted has a couple of good moments. Pretty mediocre.

I wouldn't know Ted, you big bollocks!

• Registered Users Posts: 13,589 ✭✭✭✭Aidric

• Registered Users Posts: 955 ✭✭✭Scruffles

am not a fan of fiction/fake programming but the parents and sister were a fan of it from the start,getting all the VHS box sets,script books and everything so it was impossible to not see it.
    father ted is how catholicism shoud have been,woud have got them so many more followers [if that is the word] with priests like dermot and ardal.
    perhaps copying dermots mass on a mobile alter-driving it on motorways in case theres cues for miles or an accident,it will get them more fans of the church for sure.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 11,835 ✭✭✭✭cloud493

‎'Its always time for a cup of tea. Sure didnt our lord stop for a cup of tea before they nailed him to the cross'

• Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators Posts: 90,681 Mod ✭✭✭✭Capt'n Midnight

It's been overdone but,

"small , far away"

• Registered Users Posts: 5,925 ✭✭✭aidan24326

baalthor wrote: »
    Neither show was at all controversial

It's fine for you and I to say that we never found Dermot Morgan controversial but alot of people in Ireland did. The Joe Duffy/Late Late Show/church-going brigade didn't like him because he said things you're not supposed to say and offended the establishment. His slagging of the church wouldn't have gone down well with alot of people. Things have changed quite a bit since then. We forget that it's nearly 20 years ago now since he was doing that stuff.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 10,838 ✭✭✭✭3hn2givr7mx1sc

I'm 17 and it's one of my favourite programmes of all time. The majority of my friends would feel the same.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,698 ✭✭✭Topper Harley

Scruffles wrote: »
    am not a fan of fiction/fake programming...

WHAT??? All fiction? Films/cartoons etc?
    Scruffles wrote: »
    father ted is how catholicism shoud have been,woud have got them so many more followers [if that is the word] with priests like dermot and ardal.

Well I suppose a priest that steals money from a fund to send a child to Lourdes would have been an improvement in some cases, but what about Dougal and the 'Balckrock incident' ... the amount of people's lives irreparably damaged!

• Registered Users Posts: 916 ✭✭✭1hnr79jr65

"Dont you call me Len again you little bollox or ill kick you up the arse.

You will address me by my proper title."

Len was the best thing in father ted for me.

• Registered Users Posts: 10,673 ✭✭✭✭senordingdong

Go away you big pile of biddies, I don't want to catch the menopause.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,905 ✭✭✭Chavways

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=1WhhSBgd3KI&ob=av3e

Anyone remember the episode with that song?

Classic.

And also the episode with the caravan was shot in Fanore in Co.Clare. There's no trace of it down there though.Not even a sign where the caravan was.A shame realy.

• Registered Users Posts: 25,243 ✭✭✭✭Jesus Wept

God I love being a priest.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 37,215 ✭✭✭✭Dudess

"Dont you call me Len again you little bollox or ill kick you up the arse.

You will address me by my proper title."

Len was the best thing in father ted for me.
    The actor played an angry hate-filled nazi children's tutor in The Boy In The Striped Pyjamas. The scenes where he's teaching the kids horrible stuff should be chilling but I couldn't stop laughing as all that was going through my head was "Don't call me Len you little prick!" :D

Advertisement