Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all,
Vanilla are planning an update to the site on April 24th (next Wednesday). It is a major PHP8 update which is expected to boost performance across the site. The site will be down from 7pm and it is expected to take about an hour to complete. We appreciate your patience during the update.
Thanks all.

Dublin City is now ''Tap'' Central

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 33,856 ✭✭✭✭Hotblack Desiato

If they go unchallenged then more and more people do it.
    If they are constantly hassled by Gardai then it's a less attractive thing to do.

Yeah and if fecking eejits people stopped giving them money it'd become a less attractive thing to do, too...

Life ain't always empty.

• Registered Users Posts: 23,442 ✭✭✭✭Kermit.de.frog

How much extra tax would you be willing to pay for this to happen?

So how do other countries do it then?

It's not about more taxes. Less wastage I would say.

• Registered Users Posts: 16,756 ✭✭✭✭the beer revolu

I assume they pay for it in taxes.

More police, more courts, more prison spaces.
    Yeah, that'll all be free.

So you wouldn't be willing to pay any more tax?

• Registered Users Posts: 5,875 ✭✭✭Edgware

Horrible to see people begging and looking for change. Such a massive divide in our so called Republic
    6% unemployment of which half are unemployable due to ill health etc the other half are freeloading scum

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 343 ✭✭Wtf ?

Begging should be prosecuteable unless you can prove you are destitute. Even then it's a soft answer.
    Would bending over and showing the Judge the arse out of your trousers suffice I wonder ?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 7,206 ✭✭✭facehugger99

Lux23 wrote: »
    I was on O'Connell Street last Friday and I saw some lads snorting white powder outside Carrolls while children looked on - it has gotten so seedy. Very disappointing. The whole place needs to be knocked down.

Probably easier just to move the people on than rip up all the buildings.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,074 ✭✭✭Immortal Starlight

Walking up O Connell Street Monday morning and there was a black sleeping bag on the ground outside penny's with the unseen occupant shivering underneath. Then straight across the street there was a man going through the bin and taking open cups out and swallowing what remains were inside. How do people live like that.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,613 ✭✭✭Nermal

Edgware wrote: »
    What good is moving them on from the Halpenny Bridge to Dame st or wherever?
    It doesn't solve the problem

If you move them far enough, it does.

• Registered Users Posts: 8,347 ✭✭✭Ray Palmer

How much extra tax would you be willing to pay for this to happen?

It is in our constitution that you have the right to beg. The anti-begging laws we had were all removed after a court case proved this.
    To change this we would need to have a referendum. We literally cannot do what other countries do.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,983 ✭✭✭conorhal

Ray Palmer wrote: »
    It is in our constitution that you have the right to beg. The anti-begging laws we had were all removed after a court case proved this.
    To change this we would need to have a referendum. We literally cannot do what other countries do.

Nope you don't.
    https://www.irishtimes.com/news/court-challenge-to-begging-law-succeeds-1.1292645

A section of the act was deemed unconstitutional, there would be no issue ammending the act to make begging an offence, it could also be dealt with under several public order acts but there is no will to do anything because resources would be required.

Visible policing is required on the streets. The guards have retreated to sitting on their arses behind CCTV monitoring stations, which is great for evidence after the fact, but more proactive policing to prevent street crime is badly needed.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2,102 ✭✭✭greencap

Woke Hogan wrote: »
    Yeah right.

People love playing the hard man on here, then spend their days whinging about video games or TV programmes about cartoon dragons. Deluded.

If you really think Im not willing and able to tell a skanger who tries some ridiculous 'borrow yer phone' scam to fck off, then you need to think again.

• Registered Users Posts: 9,786 ✭✭✭wakka12

Problem is no Gardaí to move anyone on.

Move to where? Most of them live in the city centre

• Registered Users Posts: 33,015 ✭✭✭✭Princess Consuela Bananahammock

Other countries came up with an idea to tackle all sorts of behaviour in society - a properly resourced and manned police force and a justice system.

Imagine that.

Doesn't even come close to answering the question.

Everything I don't like is either woke or fascist - possibly both - pick one.

• Registered Users Posts: 20,558 ✭✭✭✭dreamers75

Best of luck if you ever go to Liverpool :)

They are so polite but fcuk me if there was ever a war between our homeless junkies and theirs, they would slaughter us with sheer numbers.

And be polite about it.

• Registered Users Posts: 625 ✭✭✭dd973

Westmoreland St is a quare fish to say the least, the weird experiences and stuff I've seen there would make you think it built on some intersection of ley lines or something.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 103 ✭✭NoteAgent

Lux23 wrote: »
    I was on O'Connell Street last Friday and I saw some lads snorting white powder outside Carrolls while children looked on - it has gotten so seedy. Very disappointing. The whole place needs to be knocked down.

They need to turn O' Connell St into some sort of Champs Elysses/ Monte Carlo/ Bond Street equivalent where you literally have to be well off to set foot down there. Get rid of Penneys and Carrolls and replace them with designer shops. Make all the pubs start charging 20eur for a pint. Put a few supercar dealerships in there for good measure. Before entering you have to show a statement that shows youre Net Worth. If its below a hundred grand youre told to **** off. Any junckie that tries to jump the fence is beaten to death with hammers. Should sort the homeless problem fairly quickly.
    Just a suggestion...;)

We already have Grafton St, now all we need to have is a law which mandates that buskers are shot on sight :)

Life ain't always empty.

• Registered Users Posts: 31,825 ✭✭✭✭gmisk

I thought this thread was going to be about using the tap function to pay.

Actually thats probably the next phase of begging....
    "spare a euro for a hostel?"
    "I dont have any change sorry"
    "No worries...I accept contactless...you can tap if its under 30 euro you are giving me"

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 3,316 ✭✭✭nthclare

Lol I know a guy and he's well known on the traditional Irish music scene.

In his Gruff thick Clare accent he'll say
    "Have you a lazy fiver and I'll work it for you ?"

No Pius sorry, ok have you a tenner he'll say...

A lazy fiver and I'll work it for you, gotta give it to him for being philosophical, funny and balsy

• Registered Users Posts: 14,223 ✭✭✭✭Cienciano

Headphones and pretend you can't hear solves a lot of this

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 468 ✭✭w/s/p/c/

Anytime I am approached, I just give them the death stare and walk on by!

nthclare wrote: »
    A lazy fiver and I'll work it for you, gotta give it to him for being philosophical, funny and balsy

Nah, he's just an arsehole.

Life ain't always empty.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,237 ✭✭✭mcmoustache

Yeah and if fecking eejits people stopped giving them money it'd become a less attractive thing to do, too...

100% this. They only do it because it's profitable.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 343 ✭✭Wtf ?

gmisk wrote: »
    I thought this thread was going to be about using the tap function to pay.

Actually thats probably the next phase of begging....
    "spare a euro for a hostel?"
    "I dont have any change sorry"
    "No worries...I accept contactless...you can tap if its under 30 euro you are giving me"
    Get with the lingo(Man)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,630 ✭✭✭Woke Hogan

greencap wrote: »
    If you really think Im not willing and able to tell a skanger who tries some ridiculous 'borrow yer phone' scam to fck off, then you need to think again.
    Ha ha ha. Yeah. Right.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,795 ✭✭✭Mrcaramelchoc

Its a ****hole .what can one expect.

Its a ****hole .what can one expect.

Tell us where you live :)

BTW a lot of the street dwellers in Dublin aren't from there

Life ain't always empty.

• Registered Users Posts: 23,442 ✭✭✭✭Kermit.de.frog

Correct, most of them are from Kildare.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,293 ✭✭✭pinkyeye

I don't know what the problem is. If anyone asks me for a smoke I'll give them one no problem cause I know what it's like to be gagging for a smoke and it's no skin off my nose to give one away.

I'll even give them a light (shock, horror).

When it comes to cash if I've any on me I'll probably give it away because why not? It doesn't hurt my pocket to give an odd fiver away. If If I don't have any on me I'll just state politely that I don't have any cash.

Fail to understand why people get so stressed over these things.

• Advertisement

You're making panhanding profitable. Enabling self-destructive lifestyles. And they must think you're completely soft in the head if you're handing out fivers ffs. But I presume you're referring to the junkies, not the professionals.

There's a Romanian beggar back now this week to her usual spot she's had for years near where I work, her summer holiday back home is over, there is no way she is homeless but some saps still give her money. There used to be an Irish lad there but "they tuk his job" lol

Life ain't always empty.

Advertisement