Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all,
Vanilla are planning an update to the site on April 24th (next Wednesday). It is a major PHP8 update which is expected to boost performance across the site. The site will be down from 7pm and it is expected to take about an hour to complete. We appreciate your patience during the update.
Thanks all.

Spending a weekend with my friend

Options
  • 30-08-2015 10:47pm
    Registered Users Posts: 2

Hi everyone,
    I'm from Clare myself, I've been to Limerick a handful of times but don't know it very well but I'm a studying in Limerick now.
    My guy friend is coming down from Dublin for two days to spend time with me.

I was wondering can people please suggest pretty spots/restaurants and nice places to visit?
    Preferably places that aren't very expensive because we're both students.

My friend's bus would take him to Arthurs Quay..does anyone know what bus I could take from LIT that would bring me to him?

Thank you.

Comments

• Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 30,857 Mod ✭✭✭✭Insect Overlord

The 302 bus would bring you into town from LIT (and back out that way again afterwards.) You'd probably have to hop off at Debenhams and stroll around the block to Arthur's Quay, or else get him to meet you somewhere central like outside Brown Thomas.

There's a whole thread full of recommended cafés and restaurants at the top of the forum. Lots of places do decent deals on lunch menus and Early Bird specials though.

The tour of King John's Castle is worth a shot, especially if ye have student cards. And the art gallery at People's Park is usually a nice (free) spot to spend time too.

• Registered Users Posts: 23,713 ✭✭✭✭phog

The Hunt Museum is free on Sundays.

On a fine day/evening a walk a long the Shannon is great. You can extend it out to Westfield's Wetlands and walk to Caherdavin roundabout.

You could walk the canal out towards UL.

The Hunt Museum, City Hall and the Library often have free displays/lectures.

Aroi do a main course for €10, sides are about €5. As An File said most restaurants do early bird or lunch time specials.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,745 ✭✭✭Swiper the fox

You could visit the Milk Market on Saturday morning and pick up some stuff for a picnic. It's difficult to make more suggestions when you don't have the use of a car but don't forget about the bike scheme if you want to get a little way out of the city. The cycle along the canal to UL is lovely and being students ye'd probably enjoy spending part of a day on the campus out there.
    Enjoy. Aroi does lovely reasonably priced food as stated earlier, check out the restaurant thread for more recommendations.

• Registered Users Posts: 16,549 ✭✭✭✭osarusan

As mentioned, the Milk Market is a lovely place to stroll around.

Limerick FC game on Saturday night if that interests either of you - 12 into the stand with a student card, 10 into the terrace (I have to advertise that one!).

People's Park, Hunt Museum (free on Sunday at 2pm), St. Mary's Cathedral (4 euro) if that interests you.

The Crescent Shopping Centre for shopping and cinema - you can get there by bus from the city centre.

If you are going out drinking, there are plenty of nice pubs - but it depends on the atmosphere you're looking for.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,903 ✭✭✭zulutango

The Milk Market is worth a look on a Saturday morning. Tends to be a great buzz about the place, although it's in a fairly run down part of the city, it's well worth checking out.

There's a couple of companies doing city kayak tours. Both Nevsail and Get West do them I think.

There's a heap of pretty good historical stuff, if you guys are into that. King John's Castle, The Hunt Museum in particular. The Hunt is great for art exhibitions and they often do free midweek concerts and talks too. I'd recommend a visit to St. Mary's Cathedral. It's not really geared for tourists but it's a fantastic building with incredible history. There's often lunchtime concerts on there as well.

Limerick City Art Gallery is in The People's Park. Not everybody's cup of tea but interesting enough. The Park itself is a really nice place to hang out on a warm day.

The Council have a website which isn't great but you might see more stuff listed on that - http://www.limerick.ie/

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 525 ✭✭✭yogalady

Good value places to eat that are really nice

Amber Thai beside the Locke: 10 euro lunch deal starter and main 12-5pm. Night time main course 10 euro

Aroi: Main course 10 euro

Clover Bedfordrow Thai and Japanese: 10euro lunch deal starter, main and tea coffee 12-4pm

Bambu O'Connell street: Thai and Indian: 10 euro lunch deal starter main and soft drink 12- 5pm

Mejana Lebanese Thomas Street: 10 euro starter and main 12-4pm

Trip out to UL. Lovely grounds and could walk in by canal
    Hunt Museam. Free on a Sunday

Not free but very good.Worth a visit
    Thomond Park Museum
    King Johns Castle
    Angelas ashes walk

• Closed Accounts Posts: 7,551 ✭✭✭panda100

I agree with zulutango's suggestions!

Advertisement