Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all,
Vanilla are planning an update to the site on April 24th (next Wednesday). It is a major PHP8 update which is expected to boost performance across the site. The site will be down from 7pm and it is expected to take about an hour to complete. We appreciate your patience during the update.
Thanks all.

The Steak Thread SEE OP

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 5,439 ✭✭✭caviardreams

Muahahaha wrote: »
    Seems some very good value from the Scarlet Heifer butcher on the southside of Dublin
    http://thetaste.ie/wp/product/enjoy-the-red-meat-revolution-from-award-winning-scarlet-heifer-from-only-e25/?referer=http%3A%2F%2Fwww.mydealpage.ie%2F&vxaf-ctr=4310128&vxaf-ref=Q7SSVR&src=vendexo

Option 2 – Hero Steak Pack
    10 x 5oz Fillet Steaks
    All for €35 – HALF PRICE

1.4kg of Fillet streak for €35 is a good deal but it's not half price imo (€70 for 1.4kg would be €50 per kg - way over normal rates), so they may be inflating their regular prices somewhat for their offers

• Registered Users Posts: 3,334 ✭✭✭.red.

I'm not talking about menus and restaurants. I'm talking about butchers and supermarkets.
    Most people can relate to the size of a 6/8/10 oz steak, not many will know what size a 170g/230g or 280g steak is.
    The original moan was about this butcher, who is selling steaks in ounces which is wrong, but perfectly OK for a restaurant? I give up. The world is gone PC mad!
    That's the last i say on the matter.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 1,012 ✭✭✭2RockMountain

stimpson wrote: »
    Apparently it's grand for food to be sold in imperial measures. It was due to be phased out in 2009 but the EU relented.

http://www.irishtimes.com/news/irish-pint-safe-after-measured-eu-move-1.812011
    Thanks for the clarification.

1.4kg of Fillet streak for €35 is a good deal but it's not half price imo (€70 for 1.4kg would be €50 per kg - way over normal rates), so they may be inflating their regular prices somewhat for their offers
    Thanks, very helpful. Now imagine how easy it would be to compare if they quoted a price per kg for each type of meat?
    .red. wrote: »
    Most people can relate to the size of a 6/8/10 oz steak, not many will know what size a 170g/230g or 280g steak is.
    The original moan was about this butcher, who is selling steaks in ounces which is wrong, but perfectly OK for a restaurant? I give up. The world is gone PC mad!
    That's the last i say on the matter.
    Nothing to do with PC - it is to do with sales techniques designed deliberately to confuse and take advantage of the less adept customer.

• Registered Users Posts: 28,403 ✭✭✭✭vicwatson

Bargain in here somewhere perhaps?

• Registered Users Posts: 17,865 ✭✭✭✭Thargor

Yeah Aldi teasing us with that great €2 sirloin the other week has left me craving more steak bargains but the prices have gone way up everywhere.

• Advertisement

Thargor wrote: »
    Yeah Aldi teasing us with that great €2 sirloin the other week has left me craving more steak bargains but the prices have gone way up everywhere.

Not a mega deal but ..

http://www.lidl.ie/en/freshoffers.htm?action=showDetail&id=43914

• Registered Users Posts: 106 ✭✭bobboberson

The premium butcher in ballymount, has 1.8 kg fillet of beef for 45
    3kg of striploin beef for 40

I've had a lot of the beef and it's very good

Shoe leather.

They don't make shoes with leather anymore do they?

Besides, this steak in a slow cooker, tres good

• Registered Users Posts: 8,798 ✭✭✭MiskyBoyy

Aldi still have those Sirloin steaks but they're €2.99 now, still not bad value.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2,355 ✭✭✭cruhoortwunk

• Registered Users Posts: 19,610 ✭✭✭✭Muahahaha

It wasnt the last time cos I got all excited about it, posted it here and then it didnt happen :o

• Registered Users Posts: 7,815 ✭✭✭stimpson

I wouldn't loose any sleep over it - it's Wagyu, not Kobe (which is the one where they massage the cattle, give them beer to drink and read them bedtime stories).

And it's Rump steak which is naturally lean meat, so I doubt you'll get the marbling that you would with a striploin or ribeye.

And it's £5 for 227 grams, so €26 per kilo.

You can get Wagyu Sirloin for that money: http://www.jameswhelanbutchers.com/proddetail.php?prod=6173

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,429 ✭✭✭Kenjataimu

stimpson wrote: »

You can get Wagyu Sirloin for that money: http://www.jameswhelanbutchers.com/proddetail.php?prod=6173

Anyone ever order online to be delivered?

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 1,012 ✭✭✭2RockMountain

Aldi has what looks like nice sirloins, two for €5.99, or €12-ish per kilo - haven't tried the taste test yet.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,439 ✭✭✭caviardreams

Ordered from them before (not wagyu - just sirloin, striplon and other meat) a good few years ago. Service/delivery was fine and very well packed in terms of cold protection but found it pricey for the quality tbh. Have found much better quality in the likes of Aldi and Lidl and the dry aged in my local super valu.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,815 ✭✭✭stimpson

Kenjataimu wrote: »
    Anyone ever order online to be delivered?

I've a friend who uses them. Order is delivered by courier packed in a polystyrene container. Great quality meat apparently. I don't know if he bought the wagyu though.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,489 ✭✭✭Yamanoto

I've ordered steak from James Whelan butchers on a few occasions, but in all honesty I've been underwhelmed by it & have had beef from Aldi that was more than a match in terms of flavour - at a fraction of the price too.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 15,116 ✭✭✭✭RasTa

Go to higgins up in Sutton if you want to treat yourself but its not cheap

13902701_662274053921766_334597596150196045_n.jpg?oh=d05562a9984b52f298bd9af92c40b22e&oe=581061F0

2 Sirloins for a fiver in Aldi at the minute, absolutely lovely steaks, look a bit small in the pack but they're the thickest cuts Ive ever gotten from them so definitely plenty of meat in each, Im stocking up this time.

• Advertisement

Yes I think 440g

• Registered Users Posts: 28,363 ✭✭✭✭AndrewJRenko

Lidl flat iron steaks are back for a short visit, €13 per kg

http://www.lidl.ie/en/freshoffers.htm?action=showDetail&id=49365

• Registered Users Posts: 1,936 ✭✭✭6541

Lidl flat iron steaks are back for a short visit, €13 per kg

http://www.lidl.ie/en/freshoffers.htm?action=showDetail&id=49365

Are they any good ?

• Registered Users Posts: 13,729 ✭✭✭✭Inquitus

6541 wrote: »
    Are they any good ?

They are a tougher cut than other steaks, but if that doesn't bother you they are very nice.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,875 ✭✭✭deadanonymau5

6541 wrote: »
    Are they any good ?

I think they're terrible, tried them a few times. They smell awful as well...

• Registered Users Posts: 51,485 ✭✭✭✭tayto lover

I think they're terrible, tried them a few times. They smell awful as well...

The Rib-eye steaks are much nicer and better value.

• Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators Posts: 20,862 Mod ✭✭✭✭inforfun

The non-boxed Aldi rib-eye's for €6 or 7 (still vacuum) are much nicer than these flat irons for the 1 or 2 euro more you have to spend.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,578 ✭✭✭amber2

SuperValu doing 33% off fillets, cowboy and sirloin from today until Wednesday. Lidl slightly cheaper doing fillets 200g, for €4 from Monday to Wednesday.

SuperValu doing 33% off fillets, cowboy and sirloin from today until Wednesday. Lidl slightly cheaper doing fillets 200g, for €4 from Monday to Wednesday.

• Advertisement

Advertisement