Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Bord Gais offer - One Big Switch

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 258 ✭✭dwasol

whats a hive

• Registered Users Posts: 715 ✭✭✭sue97

It allows you control your heating from your phone via an app.

• Registered Users Posts: 23,179 ✭✭✭✭ted1

sue97 wrote: »

Except it does t look like that’s what they are offering. It’s just a hub, lights, plug and sensor. Not offering the thermostat

• Registered Users Posts: 5,532 ✭✭✭JTMan

Have a read of this ( http://www.moneyguideireland.com/electricity-and-gas-cheapest-combined-prices.html ) if one is looking for the best dual electricity and gas deal.

• ELECTRICITY
    10% off Bord Gáis Energy's electricity standard rates**

GAS
    10% off Bord Gáis Energy's gas standard rates**

OTHERS
    FREE: Range of Hive Welcome Home Products.
    Inc: Hub + 2 x Smart Bulbs + Motion sensor + Active Plug Collectively valued at up to €159
    €1742 estimated annual bill^ - inc VAT

RATES
    Electricity Discounted Unit Rate: 18.9c /kWh
    Electricity standing charge: 46.69c/day
    Annual electricity standing charge: €170.43

Gas Discounted Unit Rate: 5.414c /kWh
    Gas standing charge: 26.56c/day
    Annual gas standing charge: €96.94
    All figures include VAT

The rates, for anyone interested.
    At the moment, I'm with Energia and getting:

Electricity:
    Annual standing charge - €159.72.......€11 cheaper
    Electricity unit rate - 19.98c /kWh........5% dearer
    Discount* per billing period (every 2 months) - roughly €45......not sure of difference

Gas:
    Annual standing charge - €97.74........80c dearer
    Gas unit rate - 6.25c / kWh........15% dearer
    Discount* per billing period (every 2 months) - roughly €50......not sure of difference

*The discount is from switching over last year. Looks like the standing charge differences are negligible @ €1 per month or thereabouts, so we can ignore them. The unit rates are cheaper alright, but I'm not sure how the discount I currently get is calculated, whether it's a percentage of the bill or based on the number of units used per billing period.

Either way, it doesn't look like it would be cheaper for me to move (yet). Might have another look when the discount expires. Just a heads up to anyone else who might be tempted, take a look at what you're currently paying before doing anything.

It should really be a bit easier to calculate, but if you have a look at your bill these are the three figures you need. For my figures above, the standing charge is per billing period so I just multiplied by 6.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 308 ✭✭bergipau

Electricity:
    Discount* per billing period (every 2 months) - roughly €45......not sure of difference

Gas:
    Annual standing charge - €97.74........80c dearer
    Gas unit rate - 6.25c / kWh........15% dearer
    Discount* per billing period (every 2 months) - roughly €50......not sure of difference

*The discount is from switching over last year. Looks like the standing charge differences are negligible @ €1 per month or thereabouts, so we can ignore them. The unit rates are cheaper alright, but I'm not sure how the discount I currently get is calculated, whether it's a percentage of the bill or based on the number of units used per billing period.

Either way, it doesn't look like it would be cheaper for me to move (yet). Might have another look when the discount expires. Just a heads up to anyone else who might be tempted, take a look at what you're currently paying before doing anything.

It should really be a bit easier to calculate, but if you have a look at your bill these are the three figures you need. For my figures above, the standing charge is per billing period so I just multiplied by 6.

19.98c /kWh I'd very high. Others are offering as low as 15c.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,490 ✭✭✭JeffKenna

bergipau wrote: »
    19.98c /kWh I'd very high. Others are offering as low as 15c.

Can haggle them down to 13c I hear

• Registered Users Posts: 132 ✭✭Midlife crisis man

Why would anyone need this. Just set the timer on the central heating like people have been doing for years.

Omg cool with the hive we can change temperature via our phones.

How often if ever do people adjust their thermostat?

As pointless as those Google nest yokes.

• Registered Users Posts: 51,059 ✭✭✭✭bazz26

Why would anyone need this. Just set the timer on the central heating like people have been doing for years.

HarmoniousOddBluegill-size_restricted.gif

• Registered Users Posts: 1,345 ✭✭✭van_beano

I don’t even use my phone, I ask Alexa to do it for me.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 528 ✭✭✭clio_16v

With Iberdrola

Annual charge: 153 +vat Total 173
    Unit rate: 13.39c +vat Total 15.2c
    PSO levy: 41.76 +vat Total 47.4

• Registered Users Posts: 1,218 ✭✭✭leex

Have Hive installed for a number of years. Best benefit is not having to use timers at all - we can be arriving home at different times and it is great to just click on a widget button on phone to switch on heat and have house warmed up when you do get home. We were constantly changing times on old clock before HIVE.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,982 ✭✭✭KilOit

You have no idea! Best thing ever was getting the nest for free as well. Out and about and heading home? Throw on the heating and its warm when you get home. Dumb timers won't give you that

• Registered Users Posts: 2,575 ✭✭✭Cape Clear

Electricity:

Also with Energia and getting a 35% discount on the 19.98 which works out at 0.12987unit rate or 14.7cents including vat.

clio_16v wrote: »
    With Iberdrola

Annual charge: 153 +vat Total 173
    Unit rate: 13.39c +vat Total 15.2c
    PSO levy: 41.76 +vat Total 47.4

How have you find these guys to deal with and how long is your contract?

• Registered Users Posts: 238 ✭✭Macer123

I'm with Energia just over a year, phoned yesterday to renew and was offered 11% off Electricity & 10% off Gas.
    Told them that I wasn't particularly interested in changing every year and to give me their best available rate.
    Put on hold for 2 minutes, so that he could check with Supervisor, came back and was offered 28% (.1439) & 27% (.00456) off.
    Happy to renew.

• Cape Clear wrote: »
    Also with Energia and getting a 35% discount on the 19.98 which works out at 0.12987unit rate or 14.7cents including vat.

Out of interest, how did you figure out the discount? Was it in an email or letter they sent? I can't find anything in the "my account" section online.

Edit: Just manually calculated it there myself and seems to be working out at between 34 and 35%

• Registered Users Posts: 40 Quinnie

Leex- We have an oil burner with the old fashioned timer ( pull out the little pins on the 24hr clock system) Can this timer simply be replaced with the Hive/Climote etc? Thanks!!

• Registered Users Posts: 1,218 ✭✭✭leex

Quinnie wrote: »
    Leex- We have an oil burner with the old fashioned timer ( pull out the little pins on the 24hr clock system) Can this timer simply be replaced with the Hive/Climote etc? Thanks!!

If existing switch/timer is mounted on a single gang plate on wall then one part of the HIVE system will replace this.

Out of interest, how did you figure out the discount? Was it in an email or letter they sent? I can't find anything in the "my account" section online.

Edit: Just manually calculated it there myself and seems to be working out at between 34 and 35%

I negotiated it 11 months ago when my last contract was up at that stage I think I had been getting a 30% discount. The fun and games will start again in early March. The current rate is about the 3rd best in the market at the moment so I will be pushing for a 40% discount. I did have to start the process of switching last year before the gave me the better discount.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 23,179 ✭✭✭✭ted1

It’s better to be thought the fool than open your mouth and prove you are.

Those old timers are dumb, so dumb if you are out for the day they’ll heat your house when they don’t need too

• Registered Users Posts: 9,856 ✭✭✭dodzy

Mock what one fails to understand.

• Registered Users Posts: 207 ✭✭emy

Energia is a scam, their "cheapest dual fuel", is much more expensive compared with Electric Ireland standard option.
    For instance, for 530 m3 electric Ireland charged 230 euro, Energia, for 404m3 charged 350 euro - 100 discount =250.

• Registered Users Posts: 66 ✭✭Sure Thing

Just renewed with Energia, Electricity only.
    Was on 26% off last year, was offered same again for this which I refused. Signed up 10days ago with Bord Gais as they wouldn't give me the 36% offer that new customers can get. Now 4 days before the 14 day cool off finishes Energia came back and offered me 35% off and a free Google Home :)

• Registered Users Posts: 264 ✭✭Dinging

Discounts mean sh*t. Look at the actual rates your supplier is proposing. My Energia contract expired last September so the discounted rates no longer applied. Got nicely stung for the heavy winter period with out of contract rates. I find changing suppliers a real pain and was genuniely shocked the the bills that landed mid January.

Found this crowd https://www.energybroker.ie/, they signed me up to Iberdrola and every renewal they will shop around for me for the best rate. We will have to see how that works out but Iberdrola rates were considerablly cheaper that Energia. No connection to Energybrokers just a customer.

Dinging wrote: »
    Discounts mean sh*t. Look at the actual rates your supplier is proposing. My Energia contract expired last September so the discounted rates no longer applied. Got nicely stung for the heavy winter period with out of contract rates. I find changing suppliers a real pain and was genuniely shocked the the bills that landed mid January.

Found this crowd https://www.energybroker.ie/, they signed me up to Iberdrola and every renewal they will shop around for me for the best rate. We will have to see how that works out but Iberdrola rates were considerablly cheaper that Energia. No connection to Energybrokers just a customer.

Always important to make a note of your plan expiry date, I was a week or two late but they backdated it without an issue. Quite agree look at the rate not the discount,worked out fine for me and a nice freebie to boot

• Registered Users Posts: 332 ✭✭paska

I am with Bord Gais for heating and light and I got an email from Onebigswitch.ie offering a discount and free hive if I sign up with Bord Gais. The offer is available to Bord Gais current customers as well from what they said.

https://onebigswitch.ie/offers/energy?token=2017925198&utm_source=email_obsie&utm_medium=email&utm_campaign=energy_text&utm_content=200204&utm_term=text1

Only switched a few weeks ago. Do you think I can claim the hive stuff?

• Registered Users Posts: 3,627 ✭✭✭Wildly Boaring

Cape Clear wrote: »
    How have you find these guys to deal with and how long is your contract?

With iberdrola since November.
    Pleasure so far.
    Changing was painless.
    Couple issues with their app.
    Live chat sorted no bother.

App is reasonable.
    Has your bill and their meter reading, estimated or actual.
    Every 5 or 6 weeks you can input yourself to app, this keeps the estimates tight.

• Registered Users Posts: 66 ✭✭Spider Rico

Just got offer 28%/29% renewal discount on Energia. Looks like there's better value out their for switching based of their standard rates, so I have a month to shop around before contract expires - let's see if they back to me with something better in the meantime.

• Advertisement

Just got offer 28%/29% renewal discount on Energia. Looks like there's better value out their for switching based of their standard rates, so I have a month to shop around before contract expires - let's see if they back to me with something better in the meantime.

They won't increase the offer until they get notification through from another supplier that you are changing.
    Once they receive that they will then come back to you to improve your terms. Within 4 days of the 14 day cool off ending they sent offer of a free Google Home plus 35% off. So switch now to someone else, takes just a minute or two online. And then hold off til the last few days before contacting Energia

Advertisement