Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all,
Vanilla are planning an update to the site on April 24th (next Wednesday). It is a major PHP8 update which is expected to boost performance across the site. The site will be down from 7pm and it is expected to take about an hour to complete. We appreciate your patience during the update.
Thanks all.

Overwatch - Blizzard's latest game

• 07-11-2014 8:40pm
    Moderators, Category Moderators, Arts Moderators, Business & Finance Moderators, Entertainment Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 18,258 CMod ✭✭✭✭Nody

Information to come (it's just been trailered at Blizzcon) and is being live presented right now; I'll add information as it gets presented.

Team based multiplayer shooter that's action packed with over the top characters that's everyone can approach
    Cartoonish style; very bright colors; reminds me of TF2
    At least one turret class, sniper, Heavy with shield, two teams, one attacking one defending

Characters
    Tracer - Fast running class with short range teleport, possibility to go back in time to a previous position to avoid being killed
    Symmetra - turret stylish class, multiple weaker turrets with shorter range
    Pharah - jet pack, rocket area attack
    Hanzo - Bow sniper, can climb walls, one shot kill, can use heat vision
    Reaper - Rogue stype dual wielding pistols with backstab style attack
    Winston - Tank, melee, can jump large distances
    Torbjörn - Turret dwarf who can go overcharge to build faster turret, restore armor
    Bastion - robot who can turn into a turret with shield
    Mercy - medic class, flying, healing stream gun
    Widowmaker - long range sniper, heat sight
    Zenyatta - monk style class, using balls to create abilities and use them
    Reinhardt - melee class, offensive, shield for front arc

Varied style of maps, down town Tokyo, desert, Egypt, Chinese villa, factory, dungeon all very detailed and colorful

Beta starts in 2015

Comments

• Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators Posts: 28,633 Mod ✭✭✭✭Shiminay

Team based FPS multi-player with different characters...

[edit]
    This looks like the wonderful offspring of Team Fortress 2 and League of Legends - cartoonish style (which looks fantastic in all 3 games I think, I don't mean that as any kind of insult).

Characters with unique abilities and with very different roles on the map will make for some very fun games. I wouldn't be at all surprised to see them try and make a serious attempt at a pro league for it too.

• Registered Users Posts: 14,812 ✭✭✭✭ShaneU

Looks like tf2 meets shadowrun, it's Blizzard so obviously it'll be good.

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Arts Moderators, Business & Finance Moderators, Entertainment Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 18,258 CMod ✭✭✭✭Nody

• Registered Users Posts: 5,732 ✭✭✭Magill

Really interesting to see Blizzard give the FPS genre a go... no doubt it'll be excellent.. l

• Registered Users Posts: 3,802 ✭✭✭Benzino

The cinematic trailer is fantastic, you'd be forgiven if you thought it was made by Pixar.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 81,526 ✭✭✭✭Overheal

seems like another TF2

but Starcraft was another Dune 2 or Command and Conquer.

So let them have at it. Watching them step into other genres is indeed nicer than say, another MMO. I'm glad they pulled the plug on that actually. Not that I play WoW anymore but their resources for MMO should be spent on that, and making it gooder, and let their other devs work on other things, like this.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,000 ✭✭✭wonderboysam

is it basically titan battlegrounds? makes you wonder what couldve been... :(

• Registered Users Posts: 8,326 ✭✭✭Zapp Brannigan

Looks good. Hopefully will get a beta invite to try it out.

• Registered Users Posts: 22,929 ✭✭✭✭ShadowHearth

Love it. Lets just hope its not going to go the way of Starcraft Ghost and Project Titan.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,983 ✭✭✭KilOit

Looks great, nice to see someone little more light hearted from Blizz, Diablo, Starcraft and Warcraft is all a little dark and moody, yes Heartstone is easy going but it's a card game and Mists of Pandaria sucked :pac:

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 12,480 ✭✭✭✭Varik

Thankful it's not another MOBA, the amount of Devs who bull**** about how this is the game they've always wanted to make when in reality it an attempt to cash in.

Definitely looking forward to hearing more,

• Registered Users Posts: 4,122 ✭✭✭BeerWolf

Looks like TF2 gameplay with DOTA style characters.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,792 ✭✭✭Gandalph

I was sold at robotic monk!

• Registered Users Posts: 2,315 ✭✭✭Big Knox

Looks like it could be excellent. Seems like it will be a lot faster than TF2 which is a good thing. Just couldn't get used to the slower gameplay of TF2 after years of TFC. If they get the movement and "class" balance just right it could be one to last a few years!

• Registered Users Posts: 9,630 ✭✭✭nerd69

i feel like i would have absolutely no faith in this game being good if it was any other developer...but ya its probably going to be awesome.

still waiting for my lost vikings remake though

• Registered Users Posts: 13,084 ✭✭✭✭Kirby

Varik wrote: »
    Thankful it's not another MOBA, the amount of Devs who bull**** about how this is the game they've always wanted to make when in reality it an attempt to cash in.

Definitely looking forward to hearing more,

Blizzard are already making a MOBA....Heroes of the Storm. And in a lot of ways Overwatch is a FPS MOBA being that the focus is on objectives and not killing the opponent.

Besides, I think it's fair to give Blizzard a pass on "cashing in" on MOBAS seeing as it was a Blizzard game, Warcaft 3 that spawned the very first MOBA. Dota and LoL wouldn't exist without blizzard in the first place. You can't be accused of copying yourself.

• Registered Users Posts: 852 ✭✭✭crybaby

Jesus my son will go mental for this...................and me too :)

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Arts Moderators, Business & Finance Moderators, Entertainment Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 18,258 CMod ✭✭✭✭Nody

nerd69 wrote: »
    still waiting for my lost vikings remake though
    They are adding the lost vikings to Heroes of the Storm; all three can be controlled independently as well :D

• Registered Users Posts: 4,122 ✭✭✭BeerWolf

Kirby wrote: »
    Blizzard are already making a MOBA....Heroes of the Storm. And in a lot of ways Overwatch is a FPS MOBA being that the focus is on objectives and not killing the opponent.

Besides, I think it's fair to give Blizzard a pass on "cashing in" on MOBAS seeing as it was a Blizzard game, Warcaft 3 that spawned the very first MOBA. Dota and LoL wouldn't exist without blizzard in the first place. You can't be accused of copying yourself.

Blizzard had nothing to do with Dota in WC3 - that was a custom made map by a player. Just because Blizzard provided the tools, doesn't mean they made it. And iirc, there was even a Dota type game before that in StarCraft called "Aeon of Strife", which I honestly was more familiar being called as "Madness".

That'd be like saying whatever movie shot using a Canon camera was made by Canon... :|

• Registered Users Posts: 10,870 ✭✭✭✭Generic Dreadhead

Benzino wrote: »
    The cinematic trailer is fantastic, you'd be forgiven if you thought it was made by Pixar.

Definitely, looks pretty good, very different art style to their other games

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 13,084 ✭✭✭✭Kirby

BeerWolf wrote: »
    Blizzard had nothing to do with Dota in WC3 - that was a custom made map by a player. Just because Blizzard provided the tools, doesn't mean they made it. And iirc, there was even a Dota type game before that in StarCraft called "Aeon of Strife", which I honestly was more familiar being called as "Madness".

That'd be like saying whatever movie shot using a Canon camera was made by Canon... :|

I never said it was made by Blizzard. I said without them, there would be no MOBA. Which is accurate. You claiming blizzard had "nothing to do with dota" is disingenuous. StarCraft and Warcraft are blizzard games.....Madness and Dota are mods of these games. No game, no mod.

The movie wasn't made by canon, it was made possible by canon. Without the camera, there is no movie. Which is what I said.

Claiming Blizzard are cashing in on MOBAs, which was claimed earlier in the thread, when they are ultimately responsible for its creation in the first place is the notion I took issue with.

• Registered Users Posts: 14,685 ✭✭✭✭BlitzKrieg

I know I'm sort of late (blizzcon was last week and this week it's bitching about how crap the new assassins creed is) but I'd like to throw out there that all the talk of the new blizzard game being Team Fortress 2 + Pixar (which let's be honest team fortress 2 was already "If pixar made a video game") is missing what it really is.

Blizzard doing justice league (with guns)

1 minute into the announcement trailer and my response is "It's justice league" That's the hall of heroes, the statue is superman with a gun! for christ sake!"

6 minutes later "It's F*CKING JUSTICE LEAGUE! and I just watched the flash and cyborg beat the snot out of deathstroke and deadshot.

AND I LOVED IT!

justice league (based almost entirely on my watching of the animated series) is fun and full of character and I approve blizzard ripping that off. hardcore comic fans may disagree

I mean they took something (cue even more hate) sour and depressing as Warhammer and made not one but 2 seperate billion dollar franchises out of ripping it off and making it *fun* if DC cant learn to have fun with justice league then lets have blizzard make a fake justice league (with guns) and give us pure simple fun.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,841 ✭✭✭Jet Black

Not much news on this until now with the beta starting in two weeks, unfortunately it's only for America at the moment with a Europe date TBA.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,905 ✭✭✭Noxin

Jet Black wrote: »
    Not much news on this until now with the beta starting in two weeks, unfortunately it's only for America at the moment with a Europe date TBA.

It's also a closed beta with open weekend tests every now and then.
    In other words - Don't hold your breath for an invite :P

Game looks pretty fun though.

• Registered Users Posts: 23,128 ✭✭✭✭TheDoc

Blizzard are pretty much firing their closed invites to prominant streamers and community website owners, and a bunch for friends and family. As above, wouldnt hold your breathe.

• Registered Users Posts: 22,929 ✭✭✭✭ShadowHearth

I played it already and it's cool, if you like team fortress 2.

I am not a fan of team fortress 2, so this did not really impressed me.

I played it already and it's cool, if you like team fortress 2.

I am not a fan of team fortress 2, so this did not really impressed me.

This sentence will be extrapolated about 1,000 times come review times :pac:

Twitch stream starting at 6pm.

Jet Black wrote: »
    Twitch stream starting at 6pm.

Is that allowed? :confused:

• Advertisement

Cormac... wrote: »
    Is that allowed? :confused:

? Some guy is streaming from Blizzard HQ.

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement