Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Meath GAA discussion thread

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 3,404 ✭✭✭Felexicon

markie29 wrote: »
    3rd worst team in the league...only London and Kilkenny finished below Carlow....Meath players and management should be ashamed of themselves today.

Bit much really. Yeah it's a sh!te result, but be ashamed of themselves is a bit strong.
    I thought we'd walk it today tbh but look thats football. At least we have another day to put it right

• Registered Users Posts: 159 ✭✭breffni666

The good old days are just a distant memory now. barely get over the line against a div 4 side, Wicklow. Get away with murder again today against another div 4 side. If we don't arrest this situation soon then div 3 next year is going to be the stuff of nightmares with **** team waiting in the long grass for their day in the sun, Cavan, Monaghan, Fermanagh etc. The county board need to be removed asap and a new forward thinking board put in place. the gravy train for these guys HAS TO STOP NOW!!!!
    Plus a lot of this squad demolished Dublin as recently as two years ago so the management team have to take a lot of the responsibility for the present situation.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,965 ✭✭✭Syferus

Wicklow are a D3 team, they won the D4 title. That was two D3 teams against each other; if that's a judgement of quality that game was always likely to be close.

Carlow have improved in the last couple of years, and Meath are far from on a high. It was always a live possibility that it could be tight.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,101 ✭✭✭rpurfield

were seeing at the moment the result of years of neglect of the underage system in meath.ive the height of respect for the panel, i believe they go out and try their best but the quality and winning mentality isnt there because the likes of fintan ginnity barney allen etc thought wed be winning all irelands forever.need to get some of that sean boylan team in the county board executive, they know what it takes to be winners and would bring that back to the county.

having said that if we keep our composure the next day we should win.brian farrell had another cracking game i hope he can keep it up

• Registered Users Posts: 381 ✭✭The Showstopper

What were they at arriving 15 mins before the game? Game was nearly delayed because they got caught in traffic.

• Advertisement
  • Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 7,129 ✭✭✭my friend

What were they at arriving 15 mins before the game? Game was nearly delayed because they got caught in traffic.

late night in The Palace, nothing new there...

my friend wrote: »

Yes that's it exactly. Staying in a nightclub to late the night before caused a traffic jam. Bravo!!!!!!!

Obviously a misjudgement caused them to get stuck in traffic. I'm sure they'll leave in better time for the replay.

• Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 11,370 Mod ✭✭✭✭Hammer Archer

my friend wrote: »
    Get your facts right will you? They warmed up in nearby Durrow and got caught in traffic when going from there to O' Connor Park. I'm sure they won't make the same mistake on Saturday.
    Unfortunately I'm gonna miss my first game in two seasons on Saturday though that may well be a good thing. I'd still expect us to get over Carlow. Hopefully referee is stronger when it comes to the treatment handed out to Graham Reilly.

Get your facts right will you? They warmed up in nearby Durrow and got caught in traffic when going from there to O' Connor Park. I'm sure they won't make the same mistake on Saturday.
    Unfortunately I'm gonna miss my first game in two seasons on Saturday though that may well be a good thing. I'd still expect us to get over Carlow. Hopefully referee is stronger when it comes to the treatment handed out to Graham Reilly.

I missed the game on Saturday due to work and the Sunday game due to drunkeness.
    How was the game on Saturday. Did our sending off make a big difference?
    How was Menton in the full back line/was he missed at half back?

Felexicon wrote: »
    I missed the game on Saturday due to work and the Sunday game due to drunkeness.
    How was the game on Saturday. Did our sending off make a big difference?
    How was Menton in the full back line/was he missed at half back?
    Which game on Saturday now? Carlow game was on Sunday :pac:
    Gillespie's sending off didn't make a massive difference to be honest. We were two points ahead when he went off and were three points ahead when Carlow had their first man sent off.
    Looking back and after having cooled down, we were a bit unlucky not to see the game out (however unconvincingly it may have been). What David Gallagher was doing with the shot in the last minute I don't know. Also, Cian had a bit of a mare from frees again though he did do OK from open play.
    Menton being moved to corner back was a mistake. He didn't have the best of games there and he's the only one of our players who seems to be able to stop players simply running straight through our defence at half back. I think McAnarney is a very good player, but he simply isn't up to it as a centre half back. Hopefully Menton is back at number 6 on Saturday.
    The two Carlow suspensions should also work in our favour, especially their centre half forward who had a good game.

• Advertisement

Jesus I must have drank more than I thought. Anyway I was working early Sunday aswell.
    Looks like Brendan Murphy is out with concussion for the replay.
    Cians free taking has gone off the boil big time and we may have to find someone else to step in if it doesn't pick up.
    Can't really understand the Menton move. He looked at home playing half back against Wicklow

• Registered Users Posts: 381 ✭✭The Showstopper

My dad was standing behind the goals and said he could see Gallaghars hands shaking and the ball coming in.

Felexicon wrote: »
    Jesus I must have drank more than I thought. Anyway I was working early Sunday aswell.
    Looks like Brendan Murphy is out with concussion for the replay.
    Cians free taking has gone off the boil big time and we may have to find someone else to step in if it doesn't pick up.
    Can't really understand the Menton move. He looked at home playing half back against Wicklow
    Saw that alright. He took a heavy fall during the game but played on. However he could/should have gotten a red card during the game without a doubt. I read Luke Dempsey's quotes in the Independent and they are absolutely baffling. He says he got a "harsh booking early on". That harsh booking was for an elbow on Graham Reilly which deserved a red card in my view. After that, he committed another 3 or 4 fouls which went unpunished. As I said earlier, I hope the referee clamps down on the targeting of Graham Reilly on Saturday. In both games so far he's been on the receiving end of some very dirty tackles.
    My dad was standing behind the goals and said he could see Gallaghars hands shaking and the ball coming in.
    It wasn't the best shot to deal with but I can't understand why he wouldn't just dive on the thing in the square. He wouldn't be able to be tackled and could clear it relatively easily then.

Oh yeah. Meath Juniors play Kildare in Newbridge tomorrow at 7pm for a place in the Leinster final against Cavan (sic).

brendan murphy shouldve walked for two yellows on sunday he creamed alan forde in on the 21 in the first half after the ref played an advantage for a bad tackle further out the field and i think that one was more of a yellow than the one he got.he charged into lads two or three times too especially for gillespies second yellow i thought.

i forgot to mention on my last post i thought brian farrell had one of his best games in a long time on sunday too and he seems to be back on song, and as for cian ward i wish hed just put the ball on the ground for frees hes much better off the ground

rpurfield wrote: »
    i forgot to mention on my last post i thought brian farrell had one of his best games in a long time on sunday too and he seems to be back on song, and as for cian ward i wish hed just put the ball on the ground for frees hes much better off the ground
    Agree completely. I personally was of the opinion that he wasn't up for intercounty football anymore, but he has had two very decent performances now. As for the frees, I personally think that maybe Farrell should be taking at least some of them. I think he would have pointed the free just before Carlow's goal which would have given us the insurance point.

Kildare beat the juniors last night. 10 points to 9. We were 8 points to 1 up at half time. Unfortunately, Darragh McNamara who ran the show against Wicklow wasn't fit enough to start and only came on for the last 8 minutes. By the sounds of it though, the Junior championship is dying a death as several Leinster counties have already pulled out of it (Dublin included).

Rumours are that the injury curse has struck the seniors yet again. Paddy Gilsenan could be out for the replay on Saturday. Cannot wait for this season to be over and done with already.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,742 ✭✭✭blackbelt

Cannot wait for this season to be over and done with already.

Hang on, you have not even lost yet. :) I think it is a ploy.Since relegation to Division 3, I think the Meath team and management sat down to assess the likely path in the championship.We all know Carlow won't beat Meath no matter how bad Meath are and they will likely beat them second time around but Meath had been idle since losing to Louth while Kildare had another game against Tyrone. What better way to prepare against Kildare than to get as much competitive games under your belt and appearing to be in total disarray.

I'm sure it is at the back of McGeeneys mind too but they may be distracted by the Johnston affair and having been idle for 7 weeks before they are expected to dismantle Offaly with ease, it is setup nicely for Meath who we know can put in a big display against Kildare based on past outings, most noticeably the league.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 308 ✭✭Seves Three Iron

blackbelt wrote: »
    I think it is a ploy.

That could be one way of explaining Donal Keogan handing the ball to a Carlow player in the 73rd minute all right and David Gallagher failing to collect a handy shot! Somehow I doubt it though.

Hang on, you have not even lost yet. :) I think it is a ploy.Since relegation to Division 3, I think the Meath team and management sat down to assess the likely path in the championship.We all know Carlow won't beat Meath no matter how bad Meath are and they will likely beat them second time around but Meath had been idle since losing to Louth while Kildare had another game against Tyrone. What better way to prepare against Kildare than to get as much competitive games under your belt and appearing to be in total disarray.

I'm sure it is at the back of McGeeneys mind too but they may be distracted by the Johnston affair and having been idle for 7 weeks before they are expected to dismantle Offaly with ease, it is setup nicely for Meath who we know can put in a big display against Kildare based on past outings, most noticeably the league.

i like the cut of your jib!!i have to say also having a keen interest in soccer and rugby i could do with a win against kildare to liven up the summer :pac:

• Advertisement

Ha I hope you're right but I honestly can't see it. I too think we'll get by Carlow on Saturday but unless we get several goals against Kildare in the semi final, I can't see us getting close to them. Then barring a lucky qualifier draw, I see us getting knocked out in our first game.

The team for Saturday is the same as last Sunday except Damien Carroll is in for Gilsenan. Menton is still at corner back which I think is a mistake.

An evening of checking Club na Mí's Twitter feed to keep up to date on the score :( Hopefully a Leinster semi final to look forward to by the end of the night.

• Registered Users Posts: 34,034 ✭✭✭✭The_Kew_Tour

Think yer safe this time.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 769 ✭✭✭Diego Maradona

Draw last week, 15 point win this week.

Must be fun being a Meath fan.

• Registered Users Posts: 22,249 ✭✭✭✭Lemlin

When will the game against Kildare be? And before anyone says they aren't there yet, no disrespect to Offaly but there's only going to be one result.

Lemlin wrote: »
    When will the game against Kildare be? And before anyone says they aren't there yet, no disrespect to Offaly but there's only going to be one result.
    Dublin v Wexford 4.00pm, Meath v Offaly/Kildare 2.00pm, 1.7.2012 Croke Park.

http://leinster.gaa.ie/leinster-gaa-championship-fixtures-2012/leinster-gaa-senior-football-championship-2012.256.html

Supposedly Peadar Byrne was the star when he came on last night, though his old ways surfaced towards the end when he got booked. He can be an absolutely quality player when he's on form. He just annoys me with his constant lack of discipline. He's gotten sent off far too many times in his intercounty career. Though if he gets rid of this side to his game, he could be a great player for us.
    Also agree that there's zero chance it'll be anyhting other than a Meath - Kildare semi final. Can't see us getting anything from it though.

peader byrne was brilliant when he came in he was the turning of the game.brendan murphy was having the run of midfield and we werent getting any breaks but peader broke all that up and once we got a constant stream of supply inside we started flying.its worth noting we hit the bar and the post and had probably another two or three good goal chances saved too.

the only downside was joe sheridan didnt look up to the pace yet again, much as i like joe id say jamie queeney is wondering what hes got to do to get in there, he scored two points when he came on and looked lively.

I think possibly Joe would be best when sprung from the bench. He seems to be carrying a bit of excess weight since returning from the states.
    I see the annual sh¡tefest between Meath and Kildare fans is underway already on Hoganstand. I'll be avoiding that place like the plague for the next two weeks.

• Advertisement

Wouldn't go near Hoganstand at the best of times, awful sh*te posted on there.

Advertisement