Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all,
Vanilla are planning an update to the site on April 24th (next Wednesday). It is a major PHP8 update which is expected to boost performance across the site. The site will be down from 7pm and it is expected to take about an hour to complete. We appreciate your patience during the update.
Thanks all.

RC Airplane Clubs near Cork

• 09-08-2007 2:40pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 4

Hello Lads

Since my employer decided to move me from Paris to Cork, I am looking for a chance to keep going with my beloved hobby, which is flying RC airplanes.
    (quite big ones, I have to add - up to 20kg's, mostly warbirds)

I would appreciat a hint to an active club, a contact person or even a bulletin board maybe, where I can get in contact with kindred spirits. :D

Any hint is welcome, and when I finally arrive in Cork, I owe you guys a pint.

Comments

• Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators Posts: 3,455 Mod ✭✭✭✭coolwings

Welcome to Ireland and the forum!

You can find a list of clubs here www.maci.ie
    however
    some of the clubs are nicer than others, and some welcome new members but other clubs are "closed membership, by invitation only"
    So for a start you should talk with Noel Barrett who runs the local hobby shop in Cork on the phone
    try here http://www.noelbarrettmodels.com/

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4 Hajo77

Finally arrived here in cork tow month ago. Now I started to look for decent flying opportunites here in the area... so far no luck!

I hope my dream comes true and I actually find a nice club with a decent flying field!

Happy new year everyone

• Registered Users Posts: 15,501 ✭✭✭✭vectra

Hajo77 wrote: »
    Finally arrived here in cork tow month ago. Now I started to look for decent flying opportunites here in the area... so far no luck!

I hope my dream comes true and I actually find a nice club with a decent flying field!

Happy new year everyone

Did you do as coolwings suggested?
    Contact Noel Barret in Washington Street
    He will point you in the right direction ;)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 20 nas_matko

Well, I joined the heli community by buying my first heli for christmas.

I wanted to join some club around here and first place I went to was Noel. But either he doesn't like foreigners or helis, he wasn't very helpful. :(

Sounds odd.
    If you bought it off Noel I would expect him to be very helpful with advice.

About the clubs ... there are model flying clubs in Cork that have a full membership, and are not open to new members, unless vacancies arise. Again, Noel is the man to advise.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 951 ✭✭✭StRiKeR

nas_matko wrote: »
    Well, I joined the heli community by buying my first heli for christmas.

I wanted to join some club around here and first place I went to was Noel. But either he doesn't like foreigners or helis, he wasn't very helpful. :(

I would say he doesn't likes Heli :) just looked around his site, I only see cars and planes, no Heli's. only has links to other online stores with Heli's, which is odd, why would anyone want their customers to look at other shops from their web site?

coolwings wrote: »
    Sounds odd.
    If you bought it off Noel I would expect him to be very helpful with advice.
    This might be the problem. I didn't buy it from him.:rolleyes: I looked for advise three times on three different occasions, but to no avail.

First I was looking for club. He said there is something in Miltown, but he wasn't very willing to give details.

Second time, I was looking for some lubricant for my heli, he said nobody ever requested something like that, so he doesn't stock it.

Thrid time I was looking for battery (T) connector and either he doesn't understand my English or he has never seen battery connector. One way or another I didn't get anything.

Fourth time I didn't go there :D

That explains much. The club members are his personal friends, and if you tried to use him with no return favour, he will naturally assume you may try to do the same to them
    He will lose interest in helping you as a result.

Did you look at the www.maci website yet for local contacts?

If you are looking for T plugs here some people call them Deans Connectors.
    The 4mm gold banana connector is more popular in Europe, due to better efficiency and the Deans is the popular US connector. Good models shops will sell both.
    Deans / T plugs may be available in www.greenhobbymodel.com, but I took their last ones there last week for a repair job on a customer's model, and I'm aware an order was put through for more about Thursday last.

• Registered Users Posts: 351 ✭✭loopingfred

Well, always in stock here :D:p

http://www.islandmodels.ie

Taking about Cork now, I know a few heli flyers in Cork, I can ask them where they are flying for you to meet them.
    Or ask yourself the guys in my forum (link below), they are a really nice bunch of guys and they will help you !
    One is actually building a turbine helicopter :cool:
    Hope this help !
    Or if you are coming in Dublin one day and your problem is still not solved, well, we can meet and have a look, but I hope for you that will be fixed quicker ! :o

nas_matko wrote: »
    I didn't buy it from him.

There's your problem right there.
    I know some people think very highly of Noel on here so dont get me wrong ..!!
    BUT.
    Noel has to be one of the most arrogent people out there selling RC in Ireland.
    If you dont buy from him well them tough luck. He simply doesnt want to know you.

Where in Cork are you ?

• Advertisement

that's a bit over the board though, he didn't buy the heli from him, but he's still looking for bits and pieces, tbh the prices in retail store is a good bit more than online store, especially from UK, e.g I got my Futaba T7C 2.4GHz for under 280 shipped to me in 48 hours, but to buy from one of the shop I've seen them at or over 320euro. and the only shop I know of was like 3 hours drive from me, so either I pay nearly 70euro patrol and a day of my time to travel or pay more again on top of that for postage, so there's the choices. I guess I could drive to Cork which makes it around 3 to 4 hours 2 ways, but I drive a 2.5l petrol, probably cheaper to post. I don't even know who or where stocks Trex Heli's and parts. :(

You mentioned the price of petrol going to a shop.
    Just wait and see what the high price of oil will do to the price of getting something posted to your door.
    You may have noticed it at the petrol pump first but it will feed right through all freight costs very fast.

• Registered Users Posts: 446 ✭✭syl77

don't even know who or where stocks Trex Heli's and parts

The Guys (Jamie,Chris,Andy and Steve) at http://www.fast-lad.co.uk/ are probably the best priced and they come over at least once a year to one of our fly in's. They know there T-rex Helis and are great 3d pilots...

syl77 wrote: »
    The Guys (Jamie,Chris,Andy and Steve) at http://www.fast-lad.co.uk/ are probably the best priced and they come over at least once a year to one of our fly in's. They know there T-rex Helis and are great 3d pilots...

that's brilliant, cheers for the info.

coolwings wrote: »
    You mentioned the price of petrol going to a shop.
    Just wait and see what the high price of oil will do to the price of getting something posted to your door.
    You may have noticed it at the petrol pump first but it will feed right through all freight costs very fast.

Which in turn would put up the cost of delivering to the shops which in turn would force shops to put up their prices..:o

"Swings and Roundabouts" :confused:

Taking about Cork now, I know a few heli flyers in Cork, I can ask them where they are flying for you to meet them.
    That would be great. Thanks.
    Or ask yourself the guys in my forum (link below), they are a really nice bunch of guys and they will help you !
    Which link do you mean? I don't see any :confused:

vectra wrote: »
    There's your problem right there.
    I know some people think very highly of Noel on here so dont get me wrong ..!!
    BUT.
    Noel has to be one of the most arrogent people out there selling RC in Ireland.
    If you dont buy from him well them tough luck. He simply doesnt want to know you.

Where in Cork are you ?

I see your point. But it is very difficult to buy from him, if he doesn't stock helis :mad: However with this attitude buy something or get out he will loos potential customers. But maybe his business is so well that he doesn't need new customers.

I am living in Cork city.

• Registered Users Posts: 836 ✭✭✭iknorr

I had the same problem with noel. Myself and another 2 friends were starting off in with small RC trainers. Went to Noel and he wasnt very helpful. he stocked one trainer, my 2 friends bought one each.
    I ordered my stuff online which turned out to be amazing especially for the cheaper price i paid.
    Anyhoo i crashed so back into Noel to get some repair stuff & ask about new brushless motors & batteries . But some other guy was there and he was extremely helpful but didnt have the correct prices for what i was looking for. following day i went back in. Asked about the stuff , he asked me where i got my plane and his attitude changed completely. I pretty much felt like he didnt want me there.
    either way im never going to that shop again and neither will my friends , especially when they saw the difference between what they bought there and whta i bought online for cheaper.

At least I know it wasn't personal.

• Registered Users Posts: 836 ✭✭✭iknorr

i know i should probably post this in a seperate thread but do anyone know where theres a good place to fly planes in cork.... i used to fly in ballincollig park but thats usually very busy when the weather permits flying......

• Advertisement

iknorr wrote: »
    ....either way im never going to that shop again and neither will my friends ....

That's unfortunate, because for "club flying sites" to fly in Cork - Noel is the man with the club connections that matter in your region ! :p
    Maybe you could try Maci's website as a next best. It has club links. But for a club with a closed membership, and AFAIK some of the Cork clubs are closed, there is a world of difference in how you make contact .... a cold call versus an introduction via a friend of the committee.

The "free" places to fly are shown here: Non-club Model Airplane Flying Sites in Ireland. There is another spot on the Fermoy road, on the left coming from Cork.

Hope this helps.

• Registered Users Posts: 7 maxdressel

Anyone flying parkfliers in Cork that would like to meet up on a weekend?

Anyone out there flying 3d?

Send me a mail it be nice to make some contacts in the hobby...

• Registered Users Posts: 7 maxdressel

Anyone flying parkfliers in Cork that would like to meet up on a weekend?

Anyone out there flying 3d?

Send me a mail it be nice to make some contacts in the hobby...

Advertisement