Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all,
Vanilla are planning an update to the site on April 24th (next Wednesday). It is a major PHP8 update which is expected to boost performance across the site. The site will be down from 7pm and it is expected to take about an hour to complete. We appreciate your patience during the update.
Thanks all.

Why live frugally??

Options
2»

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 210 ✭✭kyeev

All of that seems doable except I'd struggle without broadband and the occasional pint (albeit very occasional these days).

We couldn't manage without t'internet either!
    I meant we got rid of the wired broadband and the phone line rental that entails.
    Now we have 4G mobile broadband and get about 15-17 Mbit/sec, which is plenty fast to stream...

Sure a pint here or there in the pub is grand.
    Its the every weekend thing, with the missus buying bacardi and cokes that'll kill you.

• Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 20,364 Mod ✭✭✭✭RacoonQueen

Jellybaby1 wrote: »
    I used to enjoy watching our savings rack up. However, our savings are now dwindling am I am not enjoying the numbers drop every month, so frugality is a major part of daily life now. :( Being frugal is easy when you don't have the dosh, but if you have the dosh and just want to be frugal, it might tend to be harder then 'cos y'want, and want, and want whereas frugality is about just what you need.

Yeah, I coped fine when on half what I'm on now...it's when you can make the choice in work whether to eat the lunch you brought in or going to the nice italian around the corner and know you have the money to do it that causes the savings to dwindle away :)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 9,622 ✭✭✭Ruu

amdublin wrote: »
    I'd be frugal because I get a satisfaction seeing money in my savings rise - which I can then use to go travelling and make memories.

Tbh I think I would panic if I just used my atm card over and over again until the money was gone. I like setting my self a budget and plan at the beginning of the month and trying to stick to it as best I can.

This, I don't drink or go out. We have pay per mile insurance (I am currently in the USA) but bike most of the time to work and to shops. No cable TV, we had broadband which is essential for paying bills, watching whatever and use phone.
    Wife and I have one couple we go to dinner with occasionally but that's it. Everything else is spent traveling or running races (or combination of both).
    We have a 3 bedroom house that is too big for us, so slowly getting rid of things and downsizing so we can move back to Ireland.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 114 ✭✭ponzook

Ever ponder that peope living frugally enjoy it as much as people who splash the cash!

• Registered Users Posts: 3,959 ✭✭✭Kevhog1988

ponzook wrote: »
    Ever ponder that peope living frugally enjoy it as much as people who splash the cash!
    ive just purchased 8 acres of land. my friends are lucky to pay there rent. i like to enjoy that

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 11,205 ✭✭✭✭hmmm

Because you're not tied to the stress of needing a high paying job. It's possible to be frugal, but not mean.

• Registered Users Posts: 168 ✭✭sareer

Because it makes sense. We live very frugal and are content. We do not have any budget but shop second hand, regularly go through our things and set aside what can be sold, hardly ever eat out (last year I think three or four times in total which made each one special), the local pub once in a while but we prefer to invite friends over where we have alcohol stocked up from duty free (who knew one can bring ten liters from Central Europe into Ireland?! I only wish I could carry that much ;), wait before buying big ticket items and researching them for a few days or even weeks to make sure we get the best deal, be mindful with heating and rather wear warmer clothes and keep hot water bottle in your bed, using dishwasher only when we have a mountain of dishes because of a party at our place but not for day to day dishes, and so on.

I also feel we put a lot less washing powder than recommended on the packet after we found a few articles on the internet how it does not take that much to clean your laundry. And washing powder does not come cheap after all!

We love to splurge on vacation abroad but again research them well and no all-inclusive places ever.

• Registered Users Posts: 168 ✭✭sareer

I am also amazed how people miss tax claims they are eligible for, respectively discounts their employers offer. Those are so easy to find out about and sort out.

We sleep well knowing that if one or even both of us lose our job(s) we have a cushion to fall back onto and living below your means (by a lot) helps through tough phases. Better than scrambling to make ends meet when the going gets tough.

• Registered Users Posts: 865 ✭✭✭tringle

Why am I frugal?

Well because I hate waste
    because we are using too many of the planets resources
    because the world doesn't owe me anything its up to me to provide as much as I need
    Because I want to give back as much as I can
    because I want to instil a sense of good living in my children and grandchildren
    because my home is almost like a refuge for nieces and nephews from the mad fast world of the city
    because I want to live comfortably and as naturally as I can

Because the weather has been glorious the past week and I don't have to go back to work until mid September and this is my choice. I get to spend 12 weeks working, eating and entertaining in my garden.

That's why:)

• Registered Users Posts: 1,629 ✭✭✭Hunchback

I live frugally due to a change in financial circumstance. That financial circumstance won't change for the next three years.

But now I am only dying to come out the other side of this tight period because I intend to save, save, save.

It becomes so easy to say 'no' to the little voice nagging you in your head to make an impulse purchase when you have a bit of 'practice'.

• Advertisement

Relatively frugal living allows me to accumulate resources which gives me piece of mind and a sense of "Fnck you".

One needs a sense of "Fnck you" when the going gets tough, it keeps stress at bay as you don't need to work to pay bills, work needs you to deliver for whatever reason more than I need to work. Puts me in control in my head.

• Registered Users Posts: 12,313 ✭✭✭✭Sam Kade

Well said. Me too Julius. I won't part with a penny unless I really have to. They say Irish people don't complain in shops or take faulty goods back, well they haven't met me then, and I notice more people are demanding better service too! :) Pity we couldn't take the politicians back when they prove faulty.
    When a politican proves faulty which many of them do they are moved on to the next position and wash their hands of the mess they made.

• Registered Users Posts: 12,313 ✭✭✭✭Sam Kade

kyeev wrote: »
    Exactly.
    We shop in Aldi. Like many.
    Don't smoke, drink in pubs or gamble. You drink at home.
    Never go to expensive restaurants. You go to cheaper restaurants.
    Don't have a landline/broadband, or pay TV.
    Bring lunch to work.
    Move our electricity/oil/car/house-insurance provider around every year.
    Continually check the second hand shops for quality clothes/furniture/books/toys.
    Run one 5 year old car and put up with that inconvenience. How's that inconvenient?

But then we go on three foreign holidays a year!
    All our friends go how can they afford that? That's how.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 7,108 ✭✭✭Jellybaby1

The Macawber Principle:

"'My other piece of advice Copperfield,' said Mr. Macawber, 'you know. Annual income twenty pounds. Annual expenditure nineteen pounds, nineteen and six, result, happiness. Annual income twenty pounds. Annual expenditure twenty pounds, naught and six, result, misery'" - from David Copperfield

Sensible, but sadly, Macawber couldn't follow his own advice.

• Registered Users Posts: 17,770 ✭✭✭✭keane2097

The Macawber Principle:

"'My other piece of advice Copperfield,' said Mr. Macawber, 'you know. Annual income twenty pounds. Annual expenditure nineteen pounds, nineteen and six, result, happiness. Annual income twenty pounds. Annual expenditure twenty pounds, naught and six, result, misery'" - from David Copperfield

Sensible, but sadly, Macawber couldn't follow his own advice.

Spoilers :mad:

• Closed Accounts Posts: 7,108 ✭✭✭Jellybaby1

Not really a spoiler, but sound common sense. ;) We have bad weeks, and relatively few good weeks, but when I see we managed to reduce the cost of our grocery shop in a month I am pretty pleased with myself. Doesn't last long though. :(

Advertisement