Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all,
Vanilla are planning an update to the site on April 24th (next Wednesday). It is a major PHP8 update which is expected to boost performance across the site. The site will be down from 7pm and it is expected to take about an hour to complete. We appreciate your patience during the update.
Thanks all.

Getting in first time?

• 17-03-2020 9:30pm
    Registered Users Posts: 4

Hi, I have a huge passion for policing and I want to be guard. I plan on applying the year I am doing my Leaving cert. I am just wondering what are the chances I will get in first time?

I was wondering because I'm not sure if I'll have to settle for an apprenticship or will I be successful. I've seen people in America having to try again and again. I'm just hoping it will be different here. I searched this up but the last thread was in 2014. I just wanted to see if things have changed.

Thanks for reading.

Comments

My advice, for what it is worth..... Apply, but go to college, get some other qualifications, do some volunteer work. Youth work, community work whatever you can.
    Also, if you have a degree going in, your wages will go up faster then if you don't.
    Don't put all your eggs in one basket.
    An Garda siochana is not the job it was years ago, a lot of people leave, it is good to have a back up just in case it's not all you dreamed of.
    I'm over 20 years in, & it's a good job, but have something else to fall back on.

Just my 2 cent.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 82 ✭✭ClaireMcGrath

If you're dead set on it - then go for it. But my advice would be to have a job or do a course in the mean time, it's a long looooooong process, even when you pass every single phase.

Some people from the 2018 campaign are still waiting for their vetting to be cleared, even though some have never traveled outside the country or have any family abroad. Others stumble at the PCT (fitness test), it's deceiving and the beep test is a mental and physical stumbling block (it was and remains the bane of my existence), if you fail the PCT you'll get a retest, could be a few weeks or could be longer - for me they forgot about me during my first campaign and I was left with radio silence for over six months.

I reapplied in the 2019 campaign and passed everything on the first go, my order of merit (OOM) went up 120 places after my interview so I'm guessing that means I did a good interview. I passed the PCT first go around and passed my medical with flying colours.

Things are a bit up in the air now because of Covid-19, but up until this started I was still waiting for an email/start date for the college. Whenever I contacted HRM for an update I was told that my vetting was still outstanding.

I also have an identical twin sister in Templemore - we sent in the SAME form B and hers was cleared and yet mine is still being worked on ... it's just a long and frustrating process. Get a job while you apply so that you have some income and can save up some money during the whole ordeal and maybe do a course - if you don't want to go to college then do a PLC course closer to home :)

• Registered Users Posts: 4 KyleQ02

Thank you for your input I will do volunteer work while I'm waiting for it to open and I will proabably have an apprenticship to fall back on. Thank you bothfor your input.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 170 ✭✭dublin2000A

KyleQ02 wrote: »
    Thank you for your input I will do volunteer work while I'm waiting for it to open and I will proabably have an apprenticship to fall back on. Thank you bothfor your input.

My advice is apply and go for it, if you get in that's great but if you don't you'll learn some very valuable lessons on how to prepare for it next time around.

I was 18 (I'm 36 now) when I first applied and looking back now It was a blessing in disguise that I didn't get it, after I was rejected I did a degree in business management, a diploma in private investigation, a diploma in criminology and a certificate in security studies. I've lived in America, Australia and Spain and would never have had that opportunity if I had been taken into AGS at 18.

I applied three more times between then and now and fell down at the interview stage once and report writing exercise once, living abroad and recruitment embargo's delayed my chances of applying again sooner than I would have liked . I'm from the 2018 campaign, passed everything and I'm just waiting on my vetting to be cleared.

If you 100% know that you're designed to be a guard don't let a rejection keep you down or keep you living a life, you'll have plenty of opportunities to re-apply, use this time to build your character! And, the interview panel certainly commend those who have been rejected and keep coming back.

Go for it and If it is a NO on your first application, go again and again untill you get it!

• Registered Users Posts: 3 Dj19

Does anyone know if swimming is an absolute requirement?(huge fear of water, attempted lessons multiple times) It will also be first time applying, I don't want to get my hopes up if it is a requirement. Thanks
    My advice is apply and go for it, if you get in that's great but if you don't you'll learn some very valuable lessons on how to prepare for it next time around.

I was 18 (I'm 36 now) when I first applied and looking back now It was a blessing in disguise that I didn't get it, after I was rejected I did a degree in business management, a diploma in private investigation, a diploma in criminology and a certificate in security studies. I've lived in America, Australia and Spain and would never have had that opportunity if I had been taken into AGS at 18.

I applied three more times between then and now and fell down at the interview stage once and report writing exercise once, living abroad and recruitment embargo's delayed my chances of applying again sooner than I would have liked . I'm from the 2018 campaign, passed everything and I'm just waiting on my vetting to be cleared.

If you 100% know that you're designed to be a guard don't let a rejection keep you down or keep you living a life, you'll have plenty of opportunities to re-apply, use this time to build your character! And, the interview panel certainly commend those who have been rejected and keep coming back.

Go for it and If it is a NO on your first application, go again and again untill you get it!

• Advertisement

Dj19 wrote: »
    Does anyone know if swimming is an absolute requirement?(huge fear of water, attempted lessons multiple times) It will also be first time applying, I don't want to get my hopes up if it is a requirement. Thanks

Im fairly certain it is a requirement, you don't need to know how to swim but you are expected to learn if you're not a competent swimmer already, I did work experience in 4th year down in the college and swimming classes were a big thing, it's not that you need to be at an Olympic level or anything just show them you can do a few laps.

Have you considered hypnotherapy for your fear? Id try everything if i were you

to clarify my previous message, swimming in not a requirement to apply! you will not be asked this nor is it part of the physical. When you get down to the college swimming is a bit part of the physical training you receive along with martial arts, jogging etc. if you don't pass every module you don't progress but in saying that some things may have changed.

Pop in to your local Garda station and ask, they are more than happy to talk to anyone who is looking to join, I wouldn't let it deter you from applying, resilience is something you'll have to talk about in your interview and you can tell them about how you overcame your fear of water to pursue this career, it will show a lot of character

• Registered Users Posts: 14,424 ✭✭✭✭Witcher

Swimming is not assessed in the college, you can't fail it. If you can't swim, you can't swim it won't be an issue down there.

Witcher wrote: »
    Swimming is not assessed in the college, you can't fail it. If you can't swim, you can't swim it won't be an issue down there.

Im going to disagree with you but interested in why you think its not assessed? I'm genuinely not trying to start an argument just curious

Im going to disagree with you but interested in why you think its not assessed? I'm genuinely not trying to start an argument just curious

Well I've been through the college recently enough and know people that have been through it in the last year. They assess you from a safety standpoint to use the pool but it's not pass/fail and doesn't affect progression in the course.

• Advertisement

Well I've been through the college recently enough and know people that have been through it in the last year. They assess you from a safety standpoint to use the pool but it's not pass/fail and doesn't affect progression in the course.

I agree its not a pass/fail situation but would I be correct in saying that the all recruits Have to get in the pool to show a level of competency in water? The original poster has a fear of water and their question was if recruits Had to undergo a swimming competency which I think they do. no body needs to be Michell de Bruin but you have to get in the water

If they've a fear of water they won't have to get into the water, they're not in the business of making people face their fears.

If they've a fear of water they won't have to get into the water, they're not in the business of making people face their fears.

are you saying that recruits can be exempt from swimming if they have a fear of water? The poster asked this exact question and you seem to have correct knowledge about the training so if that's the case please tag the person who originally asked the question with your factual information, they're looking for advice

• Closed Accounts Posts: 226 ✭✭St. Westy

hi, swimming is not a requirement so dont be worrying, so heed what the poster witcher is saying, having a driving licence is not even a requirement , which i find bizarre, so apply away, best of luck

• Registered Users Posts: 194 ✭✭Anonymou

what is the average time it takes to get through from first application to starting in the college - a year/18 months?

Also, lets say a campaign opened up again this year for recruitment, are people from previous years who are still waiting ahead prioritised? Or is it a case of clean slate start again?

Thank you.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 226 ✭✭St. Westy

Anonymou wrote: »
    what is the average time it takes to get through from first application to starting in the college - a year/18 months?

Also, lets say a campaign opened up again this year for recruitment, are people from previous years who are still waiting ahead prioritised? Or is it a case of clean slate start again?

Thank you.

Lengthy process , anywhere from 8 months to 2 years, best bet is to aim for the highest oom you can in the initial 3 phases , which is tough

It’s no fresh start, all previous successful candidates are still active , it all depends on how long their vetting takes place , which again is anything from 2 months to 2 years ha

• Closed Accounts Posts: 82 ✭✭ClaireMcGrath

Anonymou wrote: »

Thank you.

I've been tormenting myself lately, so I've done a breakdown of my complete campaign dates for the two that I've been a part of: Untitled.png

To be honest, we're all just put into the same 'waiting' boat - there are still folks from the 2017 campaign waiting for a start date. Some people that I was down doing my PCT with were called to start with 201 intake, alongside others from the 2018 campaign (and possibly 2017).

• Registered Users Posts: 194 ✭✭Anonymou

Thanks for replies guys and that breakdown is very useful Claire thanks for sharing, good things come to those who wait!

Only fair that people who are waiting longer would be admitted first where possible, hopefully there is a chance to apply at some stage this year.

Advertisement