Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all,
Vanilla are planning an update to the site on April 24th (next Wednesday). It is a major PHP8 update which is expected to boost performance across the site. The site will be down from 7pm and it is expected to take about an hour to complete. We appreciate your patience during the update.
Thanks all.

Alternative Ways of Living

Options
2»

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 6 leo.wanderlust

[...]Just because everyone else is doing something doesn't mean we should follow like little sheep, STOP for a moment and question why we are paying out for stuff when it's not necessary.....

jiddukrishnamurti1.jpg

• Registered Users Posts: 4,939 ✭✭✭goat2

how do I keep wood dry outside, I do not have a shed

• Registered Users Posts: 21,113 ✭✭✭✭Water John

Tarpaulin, or trailer cover.

when I cut back my shrubs each year, I put the cuttings in one place neatly, when I come back the following year I have got fire starters all the time, I break them down into little bundles and tie them with old tights or tea shirts cut into strips, put them in fire to start, they are brilliant, and the leaves that come off them on ground I rake up, and put around shrubs , great for keeping in moisture and as a fertiliser, doing this on fine days and storing them you are never short of dry kindling for the fire, as well as a great way of clearing up the garden

• Registered Users Posts: 865 ✭✭✭tringle

I do the same with cuttings, I also collect chestnuts and acorns as firelighters

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 166 ✭✭henryforde80

Started the same myself and have cut back on everything.
    Mightn't spend anything for a week

Monday - Grocery shopping for the week. Cook all the food and freeze the remaining dinners
    then. Stops the craving for take aways. Also only 5KM from work so drive home now
    for lunch. Before it was take away twice a week and getting a roll, tayto and a coffee
    in the morning. Also get my Diesel on a Monday. Used to smoke twenty cigarettes
    a day and get the ejuice now on a Monday for a tenner which lasts me for the week.
    Wouldn't spend a dime on food for the rest of the week.

Broadband- Cancelled my Broadband as you can just top up your phone by 20 euro and tether and lucky to live in a 4G area.

Alcohol - Used to spend around 400 a month on the booze and have cut back completely. Used to go to the pub around 9 on a Friday and 7 on a saturday. Now I have a few bottles at home and usually take out 30 euro that would do me for the two nights. I go down close to closing time. Hoping to cut this back to one night soon. I used to spend around 800 in the pubs and night clubs a few years ago.

Sky - Bye Bye Sky - Other alternatives.

Car - Was driving a high powered petrol car where tax was 720 for the year. Went up in years and now paying 200 tax a year and get double the mileage with the Diesel.

From cutting out cigarettes(350 a month), giving the pub a fortune(roughly 400 a month), sky (80 euro) , brodband (40 a month), lunch + coffe(125) a month, take aways(Roughly 100 a month) I am saving roughly a grand a month!

It's easy to get into very bad habits but took me a good while to change!!!!

I always go out with the thinking, of buying what I need, not wants,

• Registered Users Posts: 1,083 ✭✭✭juneg

I'm trying to reduce all the plastic we buy so I really think before I buy anything . Particularly single use plastic like bottles of water, cups of coffee.

• Registered Users Posts: 862 ✭✭✭cbreeze

juneg wrote: »
    I'm trying to reduce all the plastic we buy so I really think before I buy anything . Particularly single use plastic like bottles of water, cups of coffee.

Same here. I have given up on shower gel in plastic bottles and have gone back to bars of soap (from LIDL). Given up buying water in plastic bottles and rediscovering the tap. I don't buy coffee to go. If I want a hot drink on the move I make it at home and put it in an insulated cup or flask. You can live cheaply but without living meanly.

• Registered Users Posts: 877 ✭✭✭_Godot_

I'd love to save money by ditching Sky, but I still would want to see things like Dr Who and Game of Thrones when they come back on. What's the best sat box for that?

• Advertisement

Started the same myself and have cut back on everything.
    Mightn't spend anything for a week

Monday - Grocery shopping for the week. Cook all the food and freeze the remaining dinners
    then. Stops the craving for take aways. Also only 5KM from work so drive home now
    for lunch. Before it was take away twice a week and getting a roll, tayto and a coffee
    in the morning. Also get my Diesel on a Monday. Used to smoke twenty cigarettes
    a day and get the ejuice now on a Monday for a tenner which lasts me for the week.
    Wouldn't spend a dime on food for the rest of the week.

Broadband- Cancelled my Broadband as you can just top up your phone by 20 euro and tether and lucky to live in a 4G area.

Alcohol - Used to spend around 400 a month on the booze and have cut back completely. Used to go to the pub around 9 on a Friday and 7 on a saturday. Now I have a few bottles at home and usually take out 30 euro that would do me for the two nights. I go down close to closing time. Hoping to cut this back to one night soon. I used to spend around 800 in the pubs and night clubs a few years ago.

Sky - Bye Bye Sky - Other alternatives.

Car - Was driving a high powered petrol car where tax was 720 for the year. Went up in years and now paying 200 tax a year and get double the mileage with the Diesel.

From cutting out cigarettes(350 a month), giving the pub a fortune(roughly 400 a month), sky (80 euro) , brodband (40 a month), lunch + coffe(125) a month, take aways(Roughly 100 a month) I am saving roughly a grand a month!

It's easy to get into very bad habits but took me a good while to change!!!!

Yes, you have given great advice there, what are the alternatives to sky, Yes I am changing my v old car for a newer one, and finding out tax will come down is good, also the broadband, I am thinking of doing same, I am off ciggies and on e juice with 18 months now, doing ok, but was never a big one to go out for the few drinks, do that about every 4-6 weeks, I do make the coffee at home for on the go, prefer my own brand Azera

Advertisement