Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all,
Vanilla are planning an update to the site on April 24th (next Wednesday). It is a major PHP8 update which is expected to boost performance across the site. The site will be down from 7pm and it is expected to take about an hour to complete. We appreciate your patience during the update.
Thanks all.

FREE parking Dundrum Shopping Centre

2»

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 28,304 ✭✭✭✭AndrewJRenko

Hate derailing a thread but I find it hilarious he is saying motorists are subsidised by society whilst ignoring the surface under the wheels of his own bike and who paid for said surface.

You might want to actually check out 'who paid for said surface' before you embarrass yourself even further.

tdf7187 wrote: »
    Speaking as a fellow cyclist, your obsessive holier-than-thou attitude is tiresome, off-putting and unlikely to win many converts to our cause.
    What is this 'our cause' that you speak of? I'm not acting for any cause. I'm simply clarifying the fact that 'free parking' means that non-motorists are subsidising storage space for motorists.

salmocab wrote: »
    Not really, I don’t care.
    Now there's a surprise.

tdf7187 wrote: »
    You're correct - they are. But most of society at large chooses to drive/own/rent cars. Motorists are part of society at large.

Look, I'm on your side, I don't even own a car at present (can't afford one for reasons I won't get into), but I'm interested in pursuing more sensible tactics.
    Part of the reason you can't afford one is because you are subsiding other people's cars - every time you shop in a place with free parking, you're paying a share of the costs for other people to park. Every time you pay tax, you're paying for the increased healthcare and environmental cost incurred by other people's cars. Part of the reason you can afford one is because of of your own personal time wasted sitting behind other people's cars in traffic - the opportunity cost of congestion.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 12,653 ✭✭✭✭Plumbthedepths

You might want to actually check out 'who paid for said surface' before you embarrass yourself even further.

What is this 'our cause' that you speak of? I'm not acting for any cause. I'm simply clarifying the fact that 'free parking' means that non-motorists are subsidising storage space for motorists.

Now there's a surprise.

Part of the reason you can't afford one is because you are subsiding other people's cars - every time you shop in a place with free parking, you're paying a share of the costs for other people to park. Every time you pay tax, you're paying for the increased healthcare and environmental cost incurred by other people's cars. Part of the reason you can afford one is because of of your own personal time wasted sitting behind other people's cars in traffic - the opportunity cost of congestion.

Only person making an idiot of themselves is you having a pop at motorists when you use the roads yourself . Btw this is a bargain alert forum. Take your agenda off to the cycling forum.

Only person making an idiot of themselves is you having a pop at motorists when you use the roads yourself . Btw this is a bargain alert forum. Take your agenda off to the cycling forum.
    Just in case you haven't yet worked it out - roads are paid for though general taxation which is paid by everybody.

Just in case you haven't yet worked it out - roads are paid for though general taxation which is paid by everybody.

Wow that's earth shattering, any other obvious observations there chief?

Wow that's earth shattering, any other obvious observations there chief?
    It is indeed earth shattering for you, based on your post of 17 minutes ago.

• Advertisement

It is indeed earth shattering for you, based on your post of 17 minutes ago.

Dude what kind of a sad life have you got that you start a row on a bargain alert page. Go for a cycle or something clear your head. I'm done with your bull****.

• Registered Users Posts: 474 ✭✭msmx5

Now there's a surprise.

Take a chill pill and get off your high horse. This is bargain alert thread there are better places to rant about who paid for the roads we all cycle and drive on. The same roads that the goods you buy in the shops travel on.

Did it ever occur to you that the tenants of a shopping centre, the shops themselves, are quite happy to have free (subsidised or even fully funded by their rent) parking for their customers? Doing so gives them a much larger customer base and a customer base who will spend more.

Having free or subsidised parking means shops sell more! Customers with cars can purchase a greater volume of goods due to being able to easily transport them, they are able to travel further to the shopping location with ease and they are able/willing to travel in more inclement weather conditions.

Who is subsidising who? We live in an interdependent society where everyone is catered for. Shops need all types of customer.

Anyway - back on thread - Thanks OP for the "Alert" :-)

Dude what kind of a sad life have you got that you start a row on a bargain alert page. Go for a cycle or something clear your head. I'm done with your bull****.
    So should I not have bought this book for you in the Kris Kindle then?

220px-The_High_Cost_of_Free_Parking.jpg

msmx5 wrote: »
    Take a chill pill and get off your high horse. This is bargain alert thread there are better places to rant about who paid for the roads we all cycle and drive on. The same roads that the goods you buy in the shops travel on.

Did it ever occur to you that the tenants of a shopping centre, the shops themselves, are quite happy to have free (subsidised or even fully funded by their rent) parking for their customers? Doing so gives them a much larger customer base and a customer base who will spend more.

Having free or subsidised parking means shops sell more! Customers with cars can purchase a greater volume of goods due to being able to easily transport them, they are able to travel further to the shopping location with ease and they are able/willing to travel in more inclement weather conditions.

Who is subsidising who? We live in an interdependent society where everyone is catered for. Shops need all types of customer.

Anyway - back on thread - Thanks OP for the "Alert" :-)
    The question is, whether the tenants have ever actually thought about how they are subsidising motorists at the cost of their other customers? The obvious truth seems the wreck people's heads a bit whenever I bring it up, so it's a fair question as to whether they've seen the strong trends emerging in other countries that, strangely enough, cyclists and other non-car users can be good spenders - possibly because they're not spending all their money on a couple of tonnes of metal that sits empty and unused for 98% of the time - findings like this;

https://www.treehugger.com/urban-design/study-finds-cyclists-and-pedestrians-spend-more-stores-drivers.html

https://therecord.blogs.com/take_the_lane/2010/06/cyclists-are-good-for-business-they-have-more-spending-money-than-motorists.html

https://thenarwhal.ca/why-new-bike-lanes-are-good-everyone-yes-even-drivers/

https://www.citylab.com/transportation/2012/12/cyclists-and-pedestrians-can-end-spending-more-each-month-drivers/4066/

• Registered Users Posts: 11,278 ✭✭✭✭salmocab

Now everyone’s been told.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,720 ✭✭✭Doodah7

What a mess of a thread...

• Advertisement
This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement