Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all,
Vanilla are planning an update to the site on April 24th (next Wednesday). It is a major PHP8 update which is expected to boost performance across the site. The site will be down from 7pm and it is expected to take about an hour to complete. We appreciate your patience during the update.
Thanks all.

Historic Dublin Pictures & Videos Thread

Options

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,048 ✭✭✭vampire of kilmainham

Fabulous pictures Exit. Many thanks for posting them. It's great to see the bit of colour rather that the usual austere B & W.

I presume the photographer must have stayed at The Shelbourne!

I love the old cigatettes ads, Craven A, Bendico, Players Please etc.

(When I was a child I used to think the Players Please signs were referring to George best, Johnny Giles etc. :o - the innocence of childhood).

I love seeing the old cars and those fabulous green buses. The pic of Lord Edward Street has a nice one of a Garda Car and a Tayto truck. A few P & T vans around also. Note how many vehicles have ZA plates. The registration series lasted must longer then.

The Cork Hill one is also interesting as those building on the south side are long gone replaced with Dr Barnardo Park.

I presume that is South Great Georges Street as the Pims sign is reflected in the window.
    I rember pims well a neighbour of mine used to work there when i was a young fella.:)

Rashers wrote: »
    Thanks for those photos Mairt and Wish.

I'm scratching the head here now.... but I think that narrow gauge train from Gunness to Heuston was still running in the late '60s.... early '70s.
    Yes they were running well into the 60s i often seen them when i was out walking with my Father even up to when i was 8 or 9 in the late 60s. Iam not sure if they were still going in the 70s though great pic.:)

Sorry it's taken me so long but this is the best view of Gings that I can come up with. It's the third shop down where the brickwork is painted yellow.

Not sure of the year (early '60s?) but I bet the reg numbers and models of the cars will help date it.

CorkHill60s.jpg
    Iam nearly sure it would be around62

They worked up further in O'Connell St too. I remember one who worked near the Savoy, another a bit further down towards the bridge took this one sometime about 1947 or so. That's Burton's that's a bit obscured: (Gawd... anyone remember the old bus-stops?)

dama.jpg
    Yea i rember those old bus stops in the 60s they were around a long time before they changed them. Yer man smokin the fag in the pic looks like Sabastian Cabot.:D

I think modern digital cameras have killed off that piece of old dublin.

Speaking of old.....

Anyone who ever read of the 1916 Rising will have come across the part where the Lancers galloped from Parnell St down O'Connell St towards the GPO. They almost immediately came under fire from the GPO garrison.

One of the casualties....

1916AttackonGPO.jpg
    Wow that's a great pic of the lancers heading from Parnell st down O'Connell st iv never seen that one before just herd the story of it.
    Where did you come accross it Rashers? It's also interesting to see the horse lying there after having been shot i suppose i wonder who nicked the saddle:confused::D

• Advertisement

I'm almost certain Degsy posted this earlier in the thread - YOUR BANNED FOR A MONTH :P

And the way we dressed back in 1983 - no hoodies here!.

Any of the older Ballymun members might know some of these heads (I took the photo so I'm not in it) and who can name the concert? (Dalymount Park).

attachment.php?attachmentid=77582&stc=1&d=1239973259

U2 played there in 1983:eek:

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 11,001 ✭✭✭✭Masada

Sorry this has taken so long folks, I first mentioned it months ago, had loads of hassle with converting a weird video format and then making it less than 10mins a piece for youtube,

There's some good shots of inner city Dublin in these vids, and to my supprise, ME! (:eek:) as a 4 year old child. chances of that. :D

Anyway, here ya go,

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1 The rag man

hello to everyone,anybody got photos of the old cie yard, there was working horses there in the 60s. ps great site full of memories.:)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 24,878 ✭✭✭✭arybvtcw0eolkf

U2 played there in 1983:eek:

What makes you think it was a U2 concert?.

It was Black Sabbath & Motorhead.

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Music Moderators, Regional East Moderators, Regional Midlands Moderators, Regional Midwest Moderators, Regional Abroad Moderators, Regional North Mods, Regional West Moderators, Regional South East Moderators, Regional North East Moderators, Regional North West Moderators, Regional South Moderators Posts: 8,007 CMod ✭✭✭✭Gaspode

What makes you think it was a U2 concert?.

It was Black Sabbath & Motorhead.

That's right, it was billed as 'A Garden Party with black Sabbath' and IIRC Twisted sister stole the show, while motorhead put on a fairly poor show for them. Guess everyone has their bad day. I think Mamas Boys opened the show that day.

I was there for Sabbath, but Gillan's screaming did my head in!

• Advertisement

Gaspode wrote: »
    That's right, it was billed as 'A Garden Party with black Sabbath' and IIRC Twisted sister stole the show, while motorhead put on a fairly poor show for them. Guess everyone has their bad day. I think Mamas Boys opened the show that day.

I was there for Sabbath, but Gillan's screaming did my head in!

I should have some photos of Twisted Sister @ Dalymount if your interested.

Yes, Motorhead were crap, iirc their amp's blew up!.

I wasn't there for Mama's Boys, never liked them so stayed out on the streets drinking :p

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Music Moderators, Regional East Moderators, Regional Midlands Moderators, Regional Midwest Moderators, Regional Abroad Moderators, Regional North Mods, Regional West Moderators, Regional South East Moderators, Regional North East Moderators, Regional North West Moderators, Regional South Moderators Posts: 8,007 CMod ✭✭✭✭Gaspode

I should have some photos of Twisted Sister @ Dalymount if your interested.

Yes, Motorhead were crap, iirc their amp's blew up!.

I wasn't there for Mama's Boys, never liked them so stayed out on the streets drinking :p

Yeah, bang 'em up that'd be cool.
    I didn't bring my camera, 'cos i knew i'd be too drunk1

• Registered Users Posts: 8,711 ✭✭✭keano_afc

I was talking to an older gentleman at the weekend and he was regaling me with stories of Ringsend and Irishtown before the land was reclaimed from the sea. Its got me interested in the history of the area in relation to the reclaimed land.

Has anyone links regarding this?

8_16_06_10_6_46_57.jpeg

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 11,001 ✭✭✭✭Masada

Theres a facebook group with 18k members that has a load of pics of "mad mary" as we knew her as kids. She's still alive but ya dont see her around anymore, shame really. :)

http://www.facebook.com/posted.php?id=345527055568#!/pages/WHO-REMEMBERS-THE-WOMAN-THAT-DANCED-ON-O-CONNELL-ST-BESIDE-THE-ANNA-LIVIA/345527055568?v=wall
    24048_1391841483119_1444600313_31128235_1179556_n.jpg

• Closed Accounts Posts: 15,515 ✭✭✭✭admiralofthefleet

Masada wrote: »
    Theres a facebook group with 18k members that has a load of pics of "mad mary" as we knew her as kids. She's still alive but ya dont see her around anymore, shame really. :)

http://www.facebook.com/posted.php?id=345527055568#!/pages/WHO-REMEMBERS-THE-WOMAN-THAT-DANCED-ON-O-CONNELL-ST-BESIDE-THE-ANNA-LIVIA/345527055568?v=wall
    24048_1391841483119_1444600313_31128235_1179556_n.jpg

she lives on pottery road in deansgrange, she is always doing the flowers in her garden, lovely lady

• Registered Users Posts: 1,640 ✭✭✭ollaetta

she lives on pottery road in deansgrange, she is always doing the flowers in her garden, lovely lady

Amazed to hear she's still alive. Fair play to her.

Remember the other old lady who used to dress in black with a beret and carried a big crucifix? Her picture was used on the cover of an album by an Irish band but I can't for the life of me remember which one.

• Registered Users Posts: 9,575 ✭✭✭lord lucan

ollaetta wrote: »
    Remember the other old lady who used to dress in black with a beret and carried a big crucifix? Her picture was used on the cover of an album by an Irish band but I can't for the life of me remember which one.

I remember her when i was a nipper. I think we called her Mad Mary too! I think that was a common term used for any loony women when i was young!

• Registered Users Posts: 1,059 ✭✭✭MediaTank

ollaetta wrote: »

That was The Hothouse Flowers - and the image was only used on the Irish release of the album IIRC.

• Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 15,692 Mod ✭✭✭✭Tabnabs

Dunno if this link has been posted before but I enjoyed it

The Ken Finlay Collection

This section contains a selection of 1980's aerial photos from the Ken Finlay Collection. The photos show many popular city centre locations, as well as a range of suburban areas. Have a look around, and relish in an environment of yellow busses, ghost buildings, and vacant lots....

• Advertisement
  • Hosted Moderators Posts: 10,661 ✭✭✭✭John Mason

i was just wondering if anyone would have some photos of the richmond dairy from the 1920's.

have been some digging in my family tree and we owned it :D my second cousin (another person i only just found while doing the family tree) has been looking for photos for the last few years

thanks

IB

• Closed Accounts Posts: 41,926 ✭✭✭✭_blank_

Here's a very good thread in the History & Heritage Forum which may be of interest

http://www.boards.ie/vbulletin/showthread.php?t=2055971902

• Closed Accounts Posts: 23 ChrisSullivan

Des wrote: »
    Here's a very good thread in the History & Heritage Forum which may be of interest

http://www.boards.ie/vbulletin/showthread.php?t=2055971902

Thanks for that - very interesting. I heard the Dubliners sing The Monto at the Barbican in London about in the early nineties.

• Registered Users Posts: 20,036 ✭✭✭✭neris

anyone got old pix of sutton, howth & baldoyle?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 9,700 ✭✭✭tricky D

neris wrote: »
    anyone got old pix of sutton, howth & baldoyle?
    National Library Digital Archives
    http://digital.nli.ie/cdm4/search.php

(appears to be down at the moment)

• Registered Users Posts: 20,036 ✭✭✭✭neris

Not a picture or photo but I found this movie on the howth tram from the 1950s.

http://www.europafilmtreasures.eu/PY/261/see-the-film-once_upon_a_tram

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1 aillyb

does anyone know where i would get photographs of the kennedys bakery electric vans and horse drawn carts from the 40s and 50s in Dublin.My dad used to drive one and hed love a picture

• Registered Users Posts: 907 ✭✭✭Rashers

War news outside a Dublin barbers shop...

• Closed Accounts Posts: 23 ChrisSullivan

That's a great picture - a barber shop. Does anyone have a picture of my uncle's barber shop at 10 Poplar Row, Ballybough?

• Advertisement

That's a great picture - a barber shop. Does anyone have a picture of my uncle's barber shop at 10 Poplar Row, Ballybough?

Is that the one on the right, heading out of town and still open?.

Advertisement