Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all,
Vanilla are planning an update to the site on April 24th (next Wednesday). It is a major PHP8 update which is expected to boost performance across the site. The site will be down from 7pm and it is expected to take about an hour to complete. We appreciate your patience during the update.
Thanks all.

Tesco Home Delivery

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 27,867 ✭✭✭✭odyssey06

Has anyone hit the 80 item limit? Is it product or individually counted?
    If you order 5 of same product e.g. bananas, is that 5 items or 1 item?

"To follow knowledge like a sinking star..." (Tennyson's Ulysses)

• Registered Users Posts: 529 ✭✭✭Morby

If any items are substituted, do I pay the original price for the item I ordered, or do I pay the new price for the substituted item even if it's a higher price?

Morby wrote: »
    If any items are substituted, do I pay the original price for the item I ordered, or do I pay the new price for the substituted item even if it's a higher price?

If an item is substituted, the driver will tell you. It's up to you then to accept or decline it. You'll get charged more if it's more expensive, and less if it's less expensive, or not pay at all, if you decline the substitution.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,962 ✭✭✭r93kaey5p2izun

odyssey06 wrote: »

5 bananas is 5 items (if sold individually rather than as a bunch). It's utterly ridiculous. And of course, they're apparently out of punnets of oranges, apples and packs of peppers so they have to be bought individually. An 80 item limit for a household of 5 adults and 3 pets when you count each piece of fruit as an item is scandalous. I had a standard week's food shopping ordered, with a few extras because we have run out of all household products like washing powder, toiletries etc, and it was 168 items. I have now cancelled my Tesco order, as SV has finally opened up some new slots for the coming week, and have no such farcical limit of items. Unfortunately SV performed very badly in terms of missing items for Click&Collect 3 weeks ago, so I'm not too hopeful there either. But the Tesco limit would mean we would only have enough for a few days anyway, even if they delivered everything.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,729 ✭✭✭Millem

I got my delivery yesterday.

I reached 78 items. I bought two bunches of small bananas.....they were only counted as two items. I presume if you pick the individual bananas they are counted as per banana.

I bought 2 individual lemons they were counted as 2 items.

On the receipt it has quantity of each item.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2,103 ✭✭✭Tails142

When an item is substituted with Tesco you pay either the lower price of the new item or the same price for a more expensive item, you never pay more. I'd say this is the real reason they've stopped substituting, they were probably losing a lot of money on it.

I ordered tesco own brand water once and they substituted with san pellegrino and my wife wasnt sure so returned it, I'm always slagging her over it cause she is normally quite savvy/thrifty. Would've been a couple of quid bottle of water for 39 cent or something but no big deal anyway just a joke between us.

My shops have been grand lately though the 80 item limit is a bit worrying although it hasn't caught us out just yet but have been buying multipacks or larger single items to compensate. 2 adults and 4 kids but we're cocooning as I'm high risk health wise. Gone from two deliveries a week to every 7 days or so depending on when I could grab a delivery slot but it hasnt been too hard to get one albeit booking a few weeks in advance.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,962 ✭✭✭r93kaey5p2izun

Just accepted and packed away my SV order. 160 items. 10 substitutions - all reasonable, minor changes. 2 items not delivered. Very happy with that. Hopefully SV get more slots open in the near future so I don't have to deal with Tesco nonsense. 80 items is a ridiculous limit for large household shop.

• Registered Users Posts: 529 ✭✭✭Morby

Due to get my first order tomorrow.

On my confirmation email it says: "your delivery with arrive WITH BAGS" (bolded) but in my actual basket it says without bags.

Fyi, I haven't ordered bags, didn't see anywhere you could.

So will everything come in a crate, and I just unload it myself, or are they bagging stuff nowadays to minimise people having to touch the crates?

Also, it says I need to sign a delivery docket, is this paper or an electronic device?

Can I ask the driver to sign it, I don't fancy handling an electronic device if it's been handled by loads of others already as I'm in a high risk group.

• Registered Users Posts: 457 ✭✭Celtise

Also, it says I need to sign a delivery docket, is this paper or an electronic device?

Can I ask the driver to sign it, I don't fancy handling an electronic device if it's been handled by loads of others already as I'm in a high risk group.

It's an electronic handheld. Haven't had a delivery in a month but back then the driver asked if he could sign it on my behalf which is fine by me. Ask if they don't offer.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,955 ✭✭✭OptimusTractor

Order 1 banana but add a note saying you actually want 5/6 etc, then it doesn't count to your overall total.

• Advertisement

Order 1 banana but add a note saying you actually want 5/6 etc, then it doesn't count to your overall total.

Interesting angle, but they've disabled the notes \ substitution section of the site as far as I can tell.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,432 ✭✭✭SusanC10

Interesting angle, but they've disabled the notes \ substitution section of the site as far as I can tell.

Just logged in to Tesco to amend our Order and looks like the Substitutions and Notes Sections are back working again.

Just order a bunch? It’s counted as 1 item

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,550 ✭✭✭ShineOn7

What's their delivery slot waiting time upto these days?

I need a good laugh

• Registered Users Posts: 457 ✭✭Celtise

ShineOn7 wrote: »
    What's their delivery slot waiting time upto these days?

I need a good laugh

Last Saturday morning, there were slots for this coming Thursday/Friday/Saturday. By the time I put in order in afternoon, they were all gone but still slots available for Sunday. So about a week which is ok.

Today, next free slots for me are Sunday week!

Millem wrote: »
    Just order a bunch? It’s counted as 1 item

Bunches of their fruit are priced more expensive or sold out eg pink lady apples... tis annoying.

• Business & Finance Moderators, Entertainment Moderators Posts: 32,387 Mod ✭✭✭✭DeVore

They've previously been 3 weeks ahead and I noticed lately they are better in fact. I have 3 people over 70 to provide for and I've been locking the orders in regularly as I dont drive so this is literally a life line for us. The delivery people have been great and I've left them thank you and explanatory notes in the "drivers directions" part of the order form!

They seem to have improved the logistics greatly now as the weeks have passed.

Bunches of their fruit are priced more expensive or sold out eg pink lady apples... tis annoying.

Really? I buy the small versions as I have small kids.

Really? I buy the small versions as I have small kids.

It's grand for the kids size, I think, but full size I've been noticing 50c - €1 differences on 5-8 apples, oranges, bananas.

• Registered Users Posts: 8,165 ✭✭✭Wompa1

Can only speak for Galway but it seems like people are booking slots or possibly multiple slots and then cancelling one or the other. If you look the night before or day before, you'll probably find one or two slots open.

The limit of 80 items has made things tricky. We live close to my parents who are over 65, we get our shopping and their's, then I bring it over to them but going to be tougher now

• Advertisement

I my Tesco delivery man told me on Saturday Tesco had withheld 20% of their slots for the over 65’s. It turns out the over 65’s were not using online shopping so Tesco have scrapped that now and released all the slots. They have put in a 80 item limit instead.

• Business & Finance Moderators, Entertainment Moderators Posts: 32,387 Mod ✭✭✭✭DeVore

Thats not quite true, I've just been through it with Tesco directly.

They are starting from the 24th to give verified 65+ accounts access to booking slots 4 weeks in advance and no delivery charge cost.
    (quick check today showed slots available to everyone a week from now so this is nice but probably not all that important... the cost removal is a welcome touch of humanity tho, well done Tesco).

The 80 item limit has been introduced already nearly a week ago and is separate to this. It applies to all accounts.

• Registered Users Posts: 23,334 ✭✭✭✭zell12

DeVore wrote: »
    They are starting from the 24th to give verified 65+ accounts access to booking slots 4 weeks in advance and no delivery charge cost.
    (quick check today showed slots available to everyone a week from now so this is nice but probably not all that important... the cost removal is a welcome touch of humanity tho, well done Tesco).

Free delivery for 65+ since Oct 2018
    https://www.breakingnews.ie/business/tesco-to-offer-free-online-delivery-service-for-pensioners-872733.html
    https://www.tesco.ie/DeliverySaver/TermsAndConditions/Default/1

I booked a slot last Friday for the next day Saturday...loads of slots were available.
    I got my delivery today....eggs were not substituted even though on Saturday they were :( such a pain.
    Still have no flour :(

I've been getting tesco delivered every fortnight for the last 7 years. Not gotten one for 7 weeks as all the slots have been booked out, so I've been getting a taxi to tesco to get the essentials once a week. I don't have a drivers license/car.

Having been in the store a few times in the last few weeks its obvious why substitutions are not done any more or in a limited way. They are keeping the shelves as stocked as they can but I still regularly see empty shelves.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,553 ✭✭✭Cork Trucker

I was one of these Tesco “dotcom” drivers for 2 years. Wasn’t a bad job

I've been getting tesco delivered every fortnight for the last 7 years. Not gotten one for 7 weeks as all the slots have been booked out, so I've been getting a taxi to tesco to get the essentials once a week. I don't have a drivers license/car.

Having been in the store a few times in the last few weeks its obvious why substitutions are not done any more or in a limited way. They are keeping the shelves as stocked as they can but I still regularly see empty shelves.

Apparently though they are offering substitutes on essentials?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,553 ✭✭✭Cork Trucker

They’ll offer substitutes on everything unless the customer specifically states otherwise

They are doing the best they can. If there is a suitable replacement they will try. Its happened to me a few times, ordered Czech or Polish lager and got heineken or tuborg instead. Can't stand either so I hand them back.

I think it's you can't specify specific replacements anymore because they are rushed off their feet and looking for specific items adds time for the pickers.

• Advertisement

Just last night I noticed the return of replacement items (its been gone for a few weeks).
    Also the wait time for slots is down to about 8 days.

I didnt realise they always did free delivery for over 65s, thats nice of them!

Advertisement