Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all,
Vanilla are planning an update to the site on April 24th (next Wednesday). It is a major PHP8 update which is expected to boost performance across the site. The site will be down from 7pm and it is expected to take about an hour to complete. We appreciate your patience during the update.
Thanks all.

An Garda Síochána - COVID19

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 2,461 ✭✭✭SweetCaliber

KaneToad wrote: »
    The social bubble thing is going to be a headache for guards. How can they possibly prove that you're not going to visit Granny who lives on her own?

People will also just say they are going to visit a grave, or heading into a hardware shop, that's also allowed under Level 5.

Will be a nightmare for them to police is correct. Can imagine it will just rely on peoples good will to abide by it again.. :o

• Registered Users Posts: 8,439 ✭✭✭Tenzor07

Well, more Garda powers to stop house party's... wonder how long it will be before they have the right to legally enter a private home without needing a warrant?

https://www.independent.ie/irish-news/gardai-to-be-given-new-powers-to-break-up-house-parties-and-issue-fines-39645889.html

• Registered Users Posts: 6,533 ✭✭✭Allinall

I saw the cops not on the road this morning, hiding from the rain on the N7 in their car, they won't inconvenience themselves but have no trouble causing great stress to those of us unfortunate enough who have to travel to work and back.

How were they causing stress to anyone if they were sitting in their car off the road?

Maybe you should complain and see if you can get then to do more checkpoints, so your stress can be justified?

Tenzor07 wrote: »
    Well, more Garda powers to stop house party's... wonder how long it will be before they have the right to legally enter a private home without needing a warrant?

https://www.independent.ie/irish-news/gardai-to-be-given-new-powers-to-break-up-house-parties-and-issue-fines-39645889.html

Let’s hope the fines are enough to knock sense into the hosts.

Well of course, for years the Gardai haven't really been able to tackle out of control house parties, at least now they have more powers to stop them.... How far they exercise their discretion and how much man power they have to deal with parties going forward remains to be seen...

These powers will most likely remain in place indefinitely..

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 3,357 ✭✭✭papu

Well of course, for years the Gardai haven't really been able to tackle out of control house parties, at least now they have more powers to stop them.... How far they exercise their discretion and how much man power they have to deal with parties going forward remains to be seen...

That's a welcome change in my eyes. Some folk have no cop on when it comes to house parties and noise.

• Registered Users Posts: 15,199 ✭✭✭✭stephenjmcd

They won't get the right to enter a home without a warrant, requires a constitutional change.

Also mentioned this on the main thread, good friend of mine is a Garda in Dublin and he said it'll probably act as a deterrent but that they don't expect to be spending all their time on these calls, hence the usual we'll send a car when it's available reposnse. Whenever they come free and there's nothing more urgent then someone will take a look.

Wouldn't expect them to have to use this much at all

• Registered Users Posts: 15,199 ✭✭✭✭stephenjmcd

Well no because its enacted under emergency legislation under the health act which contains end dates for the duration of a public health emergency

I saw the cops not on the road this morning, hiding from the rain on the N7 in their car, they won't inconvenience themselves but have no trouble causing great stress to those of us unfortunate enough who have to travel to work and back.

ah Mad, the comments never stop.

They stop cars and they are bastards

They dont stop cars and they are lazy bastards

They operate in the rain and they are dangerous bastards

They dont operate in the rain and they are useless bastards

We get it, you hate Gardai. Its very well established.

Now for sensible people, checkpoints are not performed in bad weather as its likely to cause instead of stop accidents and endanger peoples safety. Its the same reason they are not performed on bends and bad roads. I can quote multiple cases but I shall stick to one example: https://www.independent.ie/irish-news/mown-down-in-the-line-of-line-of-duty-26277716.html

They won't get the right to enter a home without a warrant, requires a constitutional change.

No it doesnt, only requires enacting in legislation. Its unlikely I agree but there is already allowances for it

• Advertisement

Well no because its enacted under emergency legislation under the health act which contains end dates for the duration of a public health emergency

Doesn't take much to bend/amend the constitution I'd say without looking it up..

• Registered Users Posts: 14,329 ✭✭✭✭jimmycrackcorm

IrishHomer wrote: »
    Gardai must be immune to Covid.

Daily I'm seeing my ltiple guards in groups in Garda cars and never wearing masks.

I'm baffled

Well I guess I must be immune also. Three in my household and we don't wear masks at home. It's bizarre Ted.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,148 ✭✭✭amadangomor

Will there be fines for breaking the new 5km distance for exercise?

I live 20km from some national parks so would still like to be able to go there and would do if the Garda can only advise rather than enforce.

I'm going to obey all the restrictions except this one.

I live 8km from a scenic place that I use for walking and it's something that is beneficial for my mental health. I will put this to any Guard stopping me.

Going this sort of distance alone in a car and walking in the open air with very few people around carries very little risk.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,314 ✭✭✭paw patrol

beautiful , more erosion of your day to day freedoms.:mad:

Doesn't take much to bend/amend the constitution I'd say without looking it up..

Amend the constitution?
    Yea, just a referendum

IrishHomer wrote: »
    Gardai must be immune to Covid.

Daily I'm seeing my ltiple guards in groups in Garda cars and never wearing masks.

I'm baffled

they work together 40 hours a week in close quarters and have made that decision as you are free to not wear a mask in your car with people you spend all day with

• Closed Accounts Posts: 163 ✭✭spring lane jack

Nobody is obliged to open their doors to the Gardaí if they have no warrant. Just like the TV license man, leave him stay out in the rain.
    "Sure, couldn't hear them at the door cos the music was too loud". :pac:

• Registered Users Posts: 982 ✭✭✭Rrrrrr2

Nobody is obliged to open their doors to the Gardaí if they have no warrant. Just like the TV license man, leave him stay out in the rain.

Can see this one kicking off and causing hassle. Not sure AGS have the stomach for it but we’ll see I suppose. Entering people’s homes is a Pandora’s box

• Closed Accounts Posts: 163 ✭✭spring lane jack

Rrrrrr2 wrote: »
    Can see this one kicking off and causing hassle. Not sure AGS have the stomach for it but we’ll see I suppose. Entering people’s homes is a Pandora’s box

And the best part is if they hang around outside waiting to catch people leaving/entering then it creates more of a reason for the partygoers to just keep the party going till the Gardaí get fed up of hanging around and leave. :cool:

bubblypop wrote: »
    Amend the constitution?
    Yea, just a referendum

Under the emergency powers of the 1947 health act i'm sure they could approve legislation that would allow Gardai more powers to enter a private home, or merely add more wider parameters that would allow entry.... the emergency powers that the government have in place now certainly bend the constitution regarding freedom of movement for instance..

• Advertisement

Gardai can currently enter private dwellings without warrant under the law in specific cases.

Don't believe for one minute that guards wanna go round breaking up house parties. They don't, no interest in it.

• Registered Users Posts: 15,822 ✭✭✭✭Discodog

bubblypop wrote: »
    Gardai can currently enter private dwellings without warrant under the law in specific cases.

Don't believe for one minute that guards wanna go round breaking up house parties. They don't, no interest in it.

That's worrying when it's one of the contributory factors in causing six weeks of lockdown.

Maybe if they had, even a little interest, we wouldn't be here.

Discodog wrote: »
    That's worrying when it's one of the contributory factors in causing six weeks of lockdown.

Gardai cannot break up house parties, there is no law to allow it.

Maybe if people could just abide by guidelines without needing constant policing we wouldn't be at the point where they have to think about laws governing people's private dwellings.

Discodog wrote: »

Why not get the doctors to do it? It's a health issue afterall.

Wow, what a genius you are. No one in the history of the world has ever considered this option. Right up there with refusing to provide a breath sample or roll down your window at a checkpoint. Simple brilliant!

Depending on the situation, Gardai can kick your door in without either a warrant or your permission. Then leave through the hole where your door was.

• Registered Users Posts: 27,872 ✭✭✭✭odyssey06

Why not get the doctors to do it? It's a health issue afterall.

Yes let's get them enforcing wearing of seatbelts and drink driving, they are health issues after all.

"To follow knowledge like a sinking star..." (Tennyson's Ulysses)

odyssey06 wrote: »
    Yes let's get them enforcing wearing of seatbelts and drink driving, they are health issues after all.

And you can do them all you want inside your house.

Or let's go ridiculous again, Gardai to enforce healthy eating and if they don't express a desire to do so, we can blame them for obesity and heart disease just as disco is trying to do now

• Registered Users Posts: 27,872 ✭✭✭✭odyssey06

And you can do them all you want inside your house... Or let's go ridiculous again, Gardai to enforce healthy eating and if they don't express a desire to do so, we can blame them for obesity and heart disease just as disco is trying to do now

Really, including growing cannibis or dealing cocaine?
    They are health issues too.

An infectious disease is a totally different scenario e.g. to healthy eating which impacts only that person.
    It is more akin to drink driving where person's behaviour can impact innocent bystanders.

And not just when it comes to what happens in homes, where were the Guards in Cavan on county final day?

If Guards turning a blind eye to underage drinking in pubs, drinking after hours yes it would be reasonable to say that they are culpable.

"To follow knowledge like a sinking star..." (Tennyson's Ulysses)

Yeap, you are right, keep the door closed...turn down the music, wait 5 mins till they go away and off you go again....

• Advertisement

odyssey06 wrote: »
    Really, including growing cannibis or dealing cocaine?
    They are health issues too.

An infectious disease is a totally different scenario e.g. to healthy eating which impacts only that person.
    It is more akin to drink driving where person's behaviour can impact innocent bystanders.

And not just when it comes to what happens in homes, where were the Guards in Cavan on county final day?

If Guards turning a blind eye to underage drinking in pubs, drinking after hours yes it would be reasonable to say that they are culpable.

Absolutely. What else can we blame them for instead of the people themselves? Alcoholics? Drug users? Check and check. How about exercise? Gardai should be out there forcing people to walk to the shops and if they don't bother, it's their fault again.

Brilliant!

Advertisement