Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all,
Vanilla are planning an update to the site on April 24th (next Wednesday). It is a major PHP8 update which is expected to boost performance across the site. The site will be down from 7pm and it is expected to take about an hour to complete. We appreciate your patience during the update.
Thanks all.

Bariatric Surgery - Consultant advice

Options
  • 25-09-2020 3:49pm
    Registered Users Posts: 105 ✭✭

I weight 19 stone and my doctor and I both agree that bariatric surgery is best for me as my husband wont support me and keeps buying chocolate and other sweet things when I start a diet, he has mentioned to my friends and if I lose weight, I wont be his "my name" anymore. I have depression and anxiety which can make concentration and following things through difficult and I also have type 2 diabetes as well and at 53, I feel my health and life is getting worse. My doctor has recommended 2 doctors in Dublin, one in Vincents, and the other in the Maher and both are private. My question is, has anyone had the operation with either if these surgeons and what are their experience? I have dealt with Mr Colm O'Boyle in Cork for my gall bladder operation but Cork is very far and feel Dublin is my best option. Many thanks

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 1,245 ✭✭✭Mumha

I weight 19 stone and my doctor and I both agree that bariatric surgery is best for me as my husband wont support me and keeps buying chocolate and other sweet things when I start a diet, he has mentioned to my friends and if I lose weight, I wont be his "my name" anymore. I have depression and anxiety which can make concentration and following things through difficult and I also have type 2 diabetes as well and at 53, I feel my health and life is getting worse. My doctor has recommended 2 doctors in Dublin, one in Vincents, and the other in the Maher and both are private. My question is, has anyone had the operation with either if these surgeons and what are their experience? I have dealt with Mr Colm O'Boyle in Cork for my gall bladder operation but Cork is very far and feel Dublin is my best option. Many thanks

Helen Heneghan (I think Vincents based) is very good by all accounts. The cost to go private is not cheap, but the outcome is supposed to the excellent. She also does public work with Donal O'Shea but the waiting list could be 5+ years at least. The only thing about O'Boyle is whether he does keyhole (I assume he does), so you'd be home in a few days ?

• Registered Users Posts: 105 ✭✭Midlands Minnie

Thank you so much for your reply i am finding difficult to get approx cost for private as I will have to get a loan out. But Im glad to hear that Vincents is good for this type of operation.

Thank you so much for your reply i am finding difficult to get approx cost for private as I will have to get a loan out. But Im glad to hear that Vincents is good for this type of operation.

I know someone who needed to get the op, and (this is probably two years ago when i last bumped into him) he was talking about having to save or get a loan in the region of 18k, so now i suppose you wouldn't get much change out of 20k. He was hoping to go the private route because he couldn't wait the length of time it would take to public.

The public process takes time, but they are trying to get through as many as they can, but you still have to get a referral letter from your GP to Donal O'Shea's Weight Management clinic in Loughlinstown. Then you wait. Once called to that, you go on a 12 month program, and at the end of that they assess you for surgery, and then there's another wait. But the positive is they provide you with a complete service inc psychologist and it's all free.

• Registered Users Posts: 13,066 ✭✭✭✭Geuze

Mumha wrote: »
    But the positive is they provide you with a complete service inc psychologist and it's all free.

To be clear, nothing is "free", it's financed by the taxpayer.

I wish you all the best.

Geuze wrote: »
    To be clear, nothing is "free", it's financed by the taxpayer.

I wish you all the best.

No harm to remind people of that, but my post was in the context of having to shell out (tax paid) money to go privately.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 61 ✭✭ANGEM

I hate to be the bearer of bad news but you can still eat chocolate sweets ice cream if you get a lap band. Real food is harder to eat but anything that turns into liquid is easy. So do plenty of research before you spend your money.

Advertisement