Boards.ie uses cookies. By continuing to browse this site you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Click here to find out more x

23-01-2019, 20:01   #61
ted1

Quote:
Originally Posted by How Soon Is Now View Post
Permission isn't a problem its more the fact im just wondering if it can be removed easy enough and used again.

How big a job would reinstating the older system be?
It’s very easy if you are know how. But if your aren’t competent at diy/electrics there’s always the risk of death by electrocution
Advertisement
23-01-2019, 20:03   #62
fjon

With regards to the grant mentioned yesterday. I got a similar (but not as good) offer of a free Hive with Bord Gais and saw this in the T&Cs:

"You acknowledge and agree that we are entitled to any energy credits attributable to the installation of Hive Active Heating in your home under the Irish Government Better Energy Scheme or any replacement similar scheme."

By the way, the deal I got was a free Hive and 4000 Clubcard points when I took out a new Gas & Electricity account with BG for 24 months. Their prices were cheaper than EI.
Thanks from:
23-01-2019, 20:04   #63
fjon

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tusky View Post
How do Electric Ireland rates compare to other suppliers?
Not as high as SSE, not as cheap as Energia or BG, as far as I can tell.
23-01-2019, 20:05   #64
How Soon Is Now

Send a message via Yahoo to How Soon Is Now Send a message via Skype™ to How Soon Is Now
Quote:
Originally Posted by ted1 View Post
It’s very easy if you are know how. But if your aren’t competent at diy/electrics there’s always the risk of death by electrocution
Ya I'm not doing it myself ha. Would it be a straight forward job for someone qualified though?

Like it woulfnt cost me an arm and leg to get done and leave big mess?
23-01-2019, 20:58   #65
frankthetank83

Quote:
Originally Posted by fjon View Post
Not as high as SSE, not as cheap as Energia or BG, as far as I can tell.
Pretty sure electric ireland are actually cheapest out there. If you check bonkers.ie you will see that bors gais are “cheapest” @ €1580 for electricity + gas for the year (average consumption). Electric Ireland are €1672 but with them you get €200 free credit for switching (bonkers don’t include this for some reason) That brings the annual cost down to €1472. And their discounts don’t run out after a year like energia.
Advertisement
23-01-2019, 21:07   #66
fjon

Quote:
Originally Posted by frankthetank83 View Post
Pretty sure electric ireland are actually cheapest out there. If you check bonkers.ie you will see that bors gais are “cheapest” @ €1580 for electricity + gas for the year (average consumption). Electric Ireland are €1672 but with them you get €200 free credit for switching (bonkers don’t include this for some reason) That brings the annual cost down to €1472. And their discounts don’t run out after a year like energia.
Didn't know about the 200e, that makes a difference. However, there are e40 of Clubcard points with BG, so the difference is closer to 60e. And with BG you get a free Nest, whereas you pay 130e for the Nest. I'd prefer a Nest, but there's not that much difference, and for me it works out cheaper this way.

Last edited by fjon; 23-01-2019 at 21:14.
23-01-2019, 21:10   #67
L1011

Quote:
Ya I'm not doing it myself ha. Would it be a straight forward job for someone qualified though?

Like it woulfnt cost me an arm and leg to get done and leave big mess?
It would probably be cheaper to leave the cheap Nest there and get a cheap whatever-is-on-offer in the next place. You would be unlikely to have change from 200 for reinstating the old one and reinstalling the Nest in the next place (if you can even find an electrician to do two small jobs)
Thanks from:
23-01-2019, 21:15   #68
How Soon Is Now

Send a message via Yahoo to How Soon Is Now Send a message via Skype™ to How Soon Is Now
Quote:
Originally Posted by L1011 View Post
It would probably be cheaper to leave the cheap Nest there and get a cheap whatever-is-on-offer in the next place. You would be unlikely to have change from 200 for reinstating the old one and reinstalling the Nest in the next place (if you can even find an electrician to do two small jobs)
Ok cool thanks for the info!

If I was to get it installed and in time leave it behind is it as easy to use as the original switches for someone not up on tech? Like can it be operated simply by flicking switch on and off?

Just thinking for the owner etc.
23-01-2019, 21:34   #69
audi02

Is there a choice of colour to pick from when installer arrives or wat colour has everyone got?
Advertisement
23-01-2019, 21:38   #70
torrevieja

NO ,

Folks you dont have to change to Electric Ireland im with Bord Gais,

These Come with a Mini Google

It comes Silver only
Thanks from:
23-01-2019, 22:11   #71
L1011

Quote:
Ok cool thanks for the info!

If I was to get it installed and in time leave it behind is it as easy to use as the original switches for someone not up on tech? Like can it be operated simply by flicking switch on and off?

Just thinking for the owner etc.
It would need to be reset and added back to the new residents account, or else you could still change the settings... its fairly easy to use the basic elements of it via the dial anyway.
Thanks from:
23-01-2019, 22:28   #72
bazz26

Can the Nest be used to replace a standard heating timer? I have a heating timer on the wall in my kitchen next to the heating on/off switch. I also have an analog type thermostat in the hall and and another one upstairs.

I presume I could replace the heating timer with the Nest and that would control when the heating comes on/off. I could replace the two analogue thermostats with another Nest later on if I wanted to I guess.
Thanks from:
24-01-2019, 09:00   #73
Soarer

Quote:
Originally Posted by audi02 View Post
Brill if I could do that it would be great. Did you get Google minis with yours

Edited to say out of curiosity why did you order 3?

I currently have a 3 zoned timer ..upstairs downstairs and hot water. Will 2 nests be enough?
I got mine in before the Google mini offer, but I can't see why you wouldn't get them.

I get 3 Nests 'cause I needed them.
Downstairs rear + water.
Downstairs front.
Upstairs.
(2) thanks from:
24-01-2019, 09:02   #74
Soarer

Quote:
Originally Posted by bazz26 View Post
Can the Nest be used to replace a standard heating timer? I have a heating timer on the wall in my kitchen next to the heating on/off switch. I also have an analog type thermostat in the hall and and another one upstairs.

I presume I could replace the heating timer with the Nest and that would control when the heating comes on/off. I could replace the two analogue thermostats with another Nest later on if I wanted to I guess.
AFAIK, Nest can replace anything as long as you have a wifi network.

Place the thermostat where you want, and the receiver is connected to the boiler.

Two of ours replaced existing thermostats on the walls (downstairs rear and upstairs.) We removed our third stat from the wall in the hall, and have the third Nest on a stand in the living room.
Thanks from:
24-01-2019, 09:28   #75
asharkman

I put two orders through online and one of them didn't send me an email. I called up and queried and they wouldn't give me the two items for that price. Tried to charge me a total of 400e.
So i cancelled both orders.

They may have changed the system so that it prevents multiple orders going to the same house.
I'll try again tomorrow with slightly different addresses and see how it goes.
Or maybe i'll order one by phone and one online and see how that goes.....

Quick Reply
Bold
Italic
Underline

Insert Image
Wrap [QUOTE] tags around selected text

Decrease Size
Increase Size
Please sign up or log in to join the discussion