Boards.ie uses cookies. By continuing to browse this site you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Click here to find out more x

21-03-2017, 14:06   #61
biebiebie

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bob24 View Post
The Vodafone validation page will still send you a verification text message if your Facebook account is accepted, even if your current network isn't vodafone. It will fail at the next step and not actually activate the offer, but it is a way to check that your Facebook profile is acceptable before ordering a SIM (and once you have the Vodafone thing you have to go through the verification thing again, and that time it will complete to the end).
So I tried the above on my current non VF SIM and it reported the following... So does this mean I'll be passed to use the service when I have the VF sim ported? It's not exactly clear is it?

Looks like you're not a Vodafone Customer?
That's no problem! Bring your student card to one of our retail stores to get signed up!
Advertisement
21-03-2017, 14:12   #62
Bob24

Quote:
Originally Posted by biebiebie View Post
So I tried the above on my current non VF SIM and it reported the following... So does this mean I'll be passed to use the service when I have the VF sim ported? It's not exactly clear is it?

Looks like you're not a Vodafone Customer?
That's no problem! Bring your student card to one of our retail stores to get signed up!
They might have changed the website since last week as this is not what I encountered last week wit ha number on Three. After validating my age via Facebook the website asked for my number and sent an SMS activation code (the SMS was successfully sent to my Three number and it didn't complain that I was not on Vodafone). But after that nothing happened and it was asking or my number again (whereas when you do it wit ha Vodafone number the next step would be to ask you to input the activation code).

But I'd say as long as you passed through the Facebook step and went as far as them asking for your number, you should be good.

Last edited by Bob24; 21-03-2017 at 14:16.
21-03-2017, 14:59   #63
biebiebie

Right decided to give it a bash, nothing ventured and all that.

Not porting until another weeks time. Will report back when I'm done one way or the other.
Thanks from:
22-03-2017, 12:23   #64

Porting from 3 myself. Set the changeover date to Friday to make sure I had the sin by then. Arrived today, I wonder if I can change the porting date to today?
22-03-2017, 14:56   #65
biebiebie

Quote:
Originally Posted by BigCon View Post
Porting from 3 myself. Set the changeover date to Friday to make sure I had the sin by then. Arrived today, I wonder if I can change the porting date to today?
Time to test their customer support!
Advertisement
24-03-2017, 14:48   #66
Klingon Hamlet

Quote:
Originally Posted by FrostyJim View Post
EDITED AT REQUEST OF OP
A new prepay deal aimed at students has been launched called Vodafone X. This offer is officially open to anyone 16 to 25 or anyone with a valid student card.

To sign up simply click the image below and follow the sign up with Facebook link. If you are outside the age bracket please read below.

Vodafone X Weekend Deal
€20 top up every 4 weeks
20GB of 4G data
100 minutes and
unlimited texts to any network
+
UNLIMITED WEEKENDS
Unlimited data, minutes and texts from 3pm on Fridays until 11.59pm on Sundays

Vodafone X Music Deal
€20 top up every 4 weeks
20GB of 4G data
100 minutes and
+
Free Spotify Premium

Vodafone X Sport Deal
€20 top up every 4 weeks
20GB of 4G data
100 minutes and
+
Free Sky Sports Mobile

If you are outside that age bracket and are not a student you can still sign up but you need to follow the instructions below.

Firstly set up a facebook with your age being between 16-25 or alter the age on your current profile if you have one.
Then go to the signup link and select your plan you want. Sign in to facebook and let it verify your age. If it cannot verify your age then you cannot sign up as the only other verification method is going in store with valid ID.

If it can verify your age and you get asked for your phone number so they can send you a pin then you are in luck. Proceed to the next step.

If you are not with vodafone then order a free sim here and port your number into vodafone pay as you go.

Once you have your vodafone sim enter in your mobile number and wait for the verification code. Once this is received and entered you will be signed up to vodafone X.

Then you need to go and top up by €20.

If you are signing up for X Music or X Sports then upon topping up you will be sent a link by sms to click on and finish your registration for these services.

Lastly after you are all signed up go My Vodafone and correct your date of birth so if you ever want to lift the web content filter on your account you can by visiting a store with valid ID.
The Facebook hack worked thanks so much - huge difference from Meteors patchy service.
(2) thanks from:
24-03-2017, 14:54   #67
Bob24

Quote:
Originally Posted by Klingon Hamlet View Post
huge difference from Meteors patchy service.
It also destroys Three in Dublin city centre. Much faster speeds and therefore better usability in general and higher quality for video streaming in particular (which sometimes simply doesn't work with Three and has been quite fast and 100% reliable with Vodafone even at peak times in busy city centre locations).

Only drawbacks is that because it works better I am consuming more data and based on the first week's usage I will have to be a little careful not to hit the 20GB limit whereas with Three I was always below that.

Last edited by Bob24; 24-03-2017 at 15:33.
Thanks from:
24-03-2017, 19:02   #68
redzer

Thanks OP! Ported from a Meteor sim smoothly, used the Facebook trick to register for the Vodafone X. All sorted now, have Spotify Premium and 20gigs for the next 4 weeks! All good!
Thanks from:
25-03-2017, 11:14   #69
biebiebie

As a matter of interest, does anyone know if you can move from one of the 3 choices to another? Or are you stuck with your initial choice?
Advertisement
25-03-2017, 11:20   #70
Sir Dosser

Quote:
As a matter of interest, does anyone know if you can move from one of the 3 choices to another? Or are you stuck with your initial choice?
You can move whenever you want as many times as you like. It'll activate on the next top up of €20 or more.
Thanks from:
25-03-2017, 11:21   #71
Bob24

Quote:
I haven't actually tried doing it, but when I log into the Vodafone app there is an option to change prepaid offer and the other Vodafone X offers are listed, so I assume it is possible.
Thanks from:
25-03-2017, 18:21   #72

Quote:
Originally Posted by FrostyJim View Post
Lastly after you are all signed up go My Vodafone and correct your date of birth so if you ever want to lift the web content filter on your account you can by visiting a store with valid ID.
So after you get the deal, change your dob to correct date on your vodafone account. Any issues with this in the shop as they will obviously know looking at a 40 year old that I'm not a student and they may see that you're on the student deal?
25-03-2017, 18:23   #73
Luno

100 minutes for an entire month isn't enough (I know weekends are free but it equates to 5 minutes a day).
25-03-2017, 18:34   #74
Sir Dosser

Quote:
Originally Posted by frostypants View Post
So after you get the deal, change your dob to correct date on your vodafone account. Any issues with this in the shop as they will obviously know looking at a 40 year old that I'm not a student and they may see that you're on the student deal?
They are hardly going to care though are they? The only reason you'll even need to visit them anyway is to get the internet filter turned off but from what I can see so far it blocks almost nothing. Its defo not blocking sites it should!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Luno View Post
100 minutes for an entire month isn't enough (I know weekends are free but it equates to 5 minutes a day).
Well then the current instore deal meteor are doing at the moment may suit you better.

Have a look - http://touch.boards.ie/thread/2057721162/1
Thanks from:
25-03-2017, 23:05   #75
lertsnim

Quote:
Originally Posted by Luno View Post
Suits me as I would make any calls online anyway.

Quick Reply
Bold
Italic
Underline

Insert Image
Wrap [QUOTE] tags around selected text

Decrease Size
Increase Size
Please sign up or log in to join the discussion