Boards.ie uses cookies. By continuing to browse this site you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Click here to find out more x

29-10-2016, 08:46   #46
Supercell
Happy :)

Got three bags from this supplier on adverts, great quality stuff and cheap - http://www.adverts.ie/fuel/hardwood-...ivery/11260704
Thanks from:
Advertisement
29-10-2016, 14:45   #47
vicwatson

Quote:
Originally Posted by Supercell View Post
Got three bags from this supplier on adverts, great quality stuff and cheap - http://www.adverts.ie/fuel/hardwood-...ivery/11260704
Hard or softwood and how much please?
29-10-2016, 14:49   #48
webels

Quote:
Originally Posted by vicwatson View Post
Hard or softwood and how much please?
Cost is in the add if you click through.
29-10-2016, 15:53   #49
vicwatson

Quote:
Originally Posted by webels View Post
Cost is in the add if you click through.
Thanks, I had clicked through on phone but didn't see prices.
07-11-2016, 13:41   #50
vicwatson

This whole firewood purchase is a minefield, trying to compare prices is very difficult.

Any ideas what weight is in a standard bag of softwood timber in the red net bag?

Local place charging €3.63 per bag, any places where I could get that sub 3 per bag, for the purchase of a pallet of it of 64 bags say ??
Advertisement
07-11-2016, 14:15   #51

Quote:
Originally Posted by cutthegrass View Post
Not sure if this is a bargain?

Got a leaflet through the door today from Eco Firewood Baldoyle D13.

(Can't post website link - maybe because I am a new user - ecofirewood dot eu)

At checkout these codes can be used: 'eco20' for 20 euro off a 1m3 crate of kiln dried firewood or 'eco40' for 40 euro off a 2m3 crate.

Online it seems the norm for a 2m3 crate of ash is around 360 euro - which is the same here. With the coupon it's 320 euro including nationwide delivery.

Last season I got a 1.5m3 crate of ash from my local Topline for 270 euro including delivery.

Has anyone used Eco Firewood before?
Prices seem good. A cubic metre crate of kiln dried ash is usually in the 220 to 240 range.
07-11-2016, 14:19   #52
ablelocks

Quote:
Originally Posted by vicwatson View Post
This whole firewood purchase is a minefield, trying to compare prices is very difficult.

Any ideas what weight is in a standard bag of softwood timber in the red net bag?
depends on where you are sourcing it - some of the wood in the net bags that gets sold say at the likes of your local garage still has very high moisture content. I got a couple of bags of it a few years ago and wouldn't get it again.

edit : i think these are reasonable value, particularly if you can get 5 bags for the price of 4 which sometimes does come up as an offer. The 600kg pallet is 289, with free delivery

Last edited by ablelocks; 07-11-2016 at 14:28.
Thanks from:
07-11-2016, 15:22   #53
lenscap

I have bought a mixed tonne pallet from www.greenfuelireland.com in Galway. It was half a tonne olive wood and half tonne "All Night Long" hardwood briquette all for 540.

The olive wood burns like coal, high heat and long lasting, I only use it once the fire gets going. The hardwood briquettes burn very well, high heat and only a little expansion (unlike other ones I have tried) and a tiny amount of ash, I use them to start and build up the fire.

I used to buy wood locally but as was mentioned, it is very hard to quantify the amount of timber purchased other than a trailer load (what size trailer?) and the quality of the wood and if properly seasoned. I bought a moisture meter and found that some of the wood varied widely in moisture content from 10% to 30%. Not much good boiling wood in a stove!!!

I had tried out a sample of the olive wood and hard wood briquettes before deciding on buying the pallet. I had used different brands of wood briquettes from different suppliers over a two year period and found the All Night Long ones to be the best. The next best were the Rocket Blaze from Prima Ecofuels in Ennis www.ecofuelbriquettes.com
(2) thanks from:
07-11-2016, 15:58   #54

Quote:
Originally Posted by ablelocks View Post
depends on where you are sourcing it - some of the wood in the net bags that gets sold say at the likes of your local garage still has very high moisture content. I got a couple of bags of it a few years ago and wouldn't get it again.

edit : i think these are reasonable value, particularly if you can get 5 bags for the price of 4 which sometimes does come up as an offer. The 600kg pallet is 289, with free delivery
That co-op stuff looks way over priced assuming the pallet is the usual 1.1m
Advertisement
07-11-2016, 17:20   #55
ablelocks

Quote:
Originally Posted by maximum12 View Post
That co-op stuff looks way over priced assuming the pallet is the usual 1.1m
not sure about the dimensions. will measure crate later and see what it is....

I haven't seen anything to compare against it though - have you?
07-11-2016, 17:26   #56

Quote:
not sure about the dimensions. will measure crate later and see what it is....

I haven't seen anything to compare against it though - have you?
In the past I've ordered crates from country products and best logs. Both have prices online lower than the co-op.

The eco wood place mentioned above is also cheaper.
07-11-2016, 17:59   #57
ablelocks

Quote:
Originally Posted by maximum12 View Post
In the past I've ordered crates from country products and best logs. Both have prices online lower than the co-op.

The eco wood place mentioned above is also cheaper.
600kg kiln dried oak is €319 at www.ecofuelbriquettes.com (if this is the place you're talking about?

the best logs (oak or ash) 1.2m3 crates are approx 500kg @ 230 euro + shipping, which is free within Dublin, and minimum €25 euro outside of Dublin.

the country products crates are listed as 1m3 - suggesting that they are less again in kg terms - @ €220 (free shipping)

at €289, the co-op stores for 600kg to me is at least as good as, if not slightly better?

making comparisons would be a lot easier if there was a standard way of measuring obviously....

Last edited by ablelocks; 07-11-2016 at 18:05.
07-11-2016, 18:01   #58
beertons

HMod: TCH
I found a guy on donedeal last year who was selling a trailer of hardwood logs, 8ft x 5ft x3ft trailer size. Delivered from Athy to Naas, 220 quid. There's over 3 cubic meters in it, as my log store full holds 3m3. Got another order off him this year too. Pm me if you want his number. I tried kiln dried logs, but they burnt up way too fast.
07-11-2016, 18:17   #59
nebraska132

How does the mulch offering compare?
1m3 bag of seasoned (less than 15% moisture) for 164 euro or 180 delivered?

Thanks in advance for your advice
07-11-2016, 18:25   #60

Quote:
600kg kiln dried oak is €319 at www.ecofuelbriquettes.com (if this is the place you're talking about?

the best logs (oak or ash) 1.2m3 crates are approx 500kg @ 230 euro + shipping, which is free within Dublin, and minimum €25 euro outside of Dublin.

the country products crates are listed as 1m3 - suggesting that they are less again in kg terms - @ €220 (free shipping)

at €289, the co-op stores for 600kg to me is at least as good as, if not slightly better?

making comparisons would be a lot easier if there was a standard way of measuring obviously....
No it's Ecofirewood.eu for €209

You can't compare firewood by weight only by volume and secondly how it's packaged. The crates are stacked so have a lot more wood than wood thrown into a 1m bag.

The country products listing is rounded to a metre. It's the same volume as best logs.

Wet firewood will be very heavy but useless for burning.
Thanks from:

Quick Reply
Bold
Italic
Underline

Insert Image
Wrap [QUOTE] tags around selected text

Decrease Size
Increase Size
Please sign up or log in to join the discussion