Boards.ie uses cookies. By continuing to browse this site you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Click here to find out more x

25-10-2016, 15:00   #31
pippip

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sam Kade View Post
I buy coal and logs from Dairygold as I have a boiler stove as the only heat source. To keep the stove going for 12 hours a day costs roughly €8.5 and the house is still comfortably warm in the morning until the stove is lit at 1pm. The last fill is 9pm and it lasts until 1am. If I were to get the same heat from oil even with an efficient modern burner I would use 3L/hour @ 58c/L that would cost €20.88/day. So how do you come to the conclusion that oil is cheaper?
Your calculations are way off, I know plenty of people with oil heating and would be nowhere near what your saying it costs. Your calculations on the oil leave out so many variables.
Advertisement
25-10-2016, 15:06   #32
Sam Kade

Quote:
Originally Posted by pippip View Post
Your calculations are way off, I know plenty of people with oil heating and would be nowhere near what your saying it costs. Your calculations on the oil leave out so many variables.
Any efficient boiler will use 3L/hour, to have constant heat for 12 hours you need to have the boiler running for 12 hours so can you explain how I'm way off?
25-10-2016, 15:06   #33

Quote:
I buy coal and logs from Dairygold as I have a boiler stove as the only heat source. To keep the stove going for 12 hours a day costs roughly €8.5 and the house is still comfortably warm in the morning until the stove is lit at 1pm. The last fill is 9pm and it lasts until 1am. If I were to get the same heat from oil even with an efficient modern burner I would use 3L/hour @ 58c/L that would cost €20.88/day. So how do you come to the conclusion that oil is cheaper?
Its nowhere near double the cost for the same heat, thats not to say you wouldn't burn twice as much fuel, people with oil/gas boilers tend to put significantly more heat into their home, partly dues to the convenience, running heating for longer periods,being too lazy to turnoff radiators program zones and in general heating the entire house - you wouldn't find many people with boiler stoves heating the utility room or empty guest bedrooms.

At current prices the coal probably just about pips the kerosene. Its not so long ago the kerosene was 90+c a liter though at which time coal was saving several hundred euro a year versus oil for the average house.

Kerosene = 9.8kwh per liter 58c / 9.8 = 5.9c/ kwh

Assuming 85% efficiency for a real world condensing boiler with appropriately sized radiators, flow rate etc.

5.9c/kwh / 0.85 = 6.94c/kwh

Hiqh quality Bituminous coal = 8.5kwh /kg = 4.7c/kwh (assuming €16 per bag bought in bulk from coop - in Dublin probably more like €20 per bag)

Quoted solid fuel stove efficiencies are derived from an unrealistic test, real world efficiency of a modern boiler stove burning coal is probably 75% at best with dry fueld, appropriate loading, riddling, water circulation, draught adjustment, etc.

4.7c/kwh / 0.75 = 6.27c/kwh @75% efficiency

Last edited by crabbypaddy; 25-10-2016 at 15:12.
25-10-2016, 15:09   #34
pippip

Quote:
Any efficient boiler will use 3L/hour, to have constant heat for 12 hours you need to have the boiler running for 12 hours so can you explain how I'm way off?
For a start the boiler won't be constantly on for 12 hrs, it will turn on and off as needed. Along with the fact that if you're not in your home (assuming you don't spend 24hrs a day in your home) then oil can just be switched off.
25-10-2016, 15:09   #35
Sam Kade

Quote:
Originally Posted by Esteban Huge Firefight View Post
I was really talking about wood on its own and going by the few blocks you'd get in a trailer for € 60 to € 80 and to generate the same heat. I reckon it would be cheaper to burn oil
You're doing well to heat the house for twelve hours a day for under € 60 a week. How many bags of coal do you burn.
It's € 19 euro for a bag of coal in the Co Op near me and I don't know how much the logs are.
Coal @ €17.49/bag and logs €3/bag. I use 1/3 bag of coal a day and less than a bag of logs.
Advertisement
25-10-2016, 15:15   #36
Sam Kade

Quote:
Originally Posted by pippip View Post
For a start the boiler won't be constantly on for 12 hrs, it will turn on and off as needed. Along with the fact that if you're not in your home (assuming you don't spend 24hrs a day in your home) then oil can just be switched off.
The 3L/hour includes the boiler cutting in and out. Trying to compare oil with solid fuel and saying the oil will only be turned on for a few hours isn't comparing like with like.
25-10-2016, 15:16   #37

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sam Kade
Coal @ €17.49/bag and logs €3/bag. I use 1/3 bag of coal a day and less than a bag of logs.
I'm not doubting you but that seems very low usage for a boiler stove burning for 12 hours a day.
25-10-2016, 15:46   #38
ablelocks

jaysus, how about we stick to actual bargains and do the cost/benefit/efficiency analysis in another thread. or better yet, forum
25-10-2016, 17:39   #39
vicwatson

Quote:
Originally Posted by ablelocks View Post
jaysus, how about we stick to actual bargains and do the cost/benefit/efficiency analysis in another thread. or better yet, forum
Its getting worse in Bargain Alerts, the amount of off topic chat
Advertisement
25-10-2016, 20:52   #40
Sam Kade

Quote:
Originally Posted by Esteban Huge Firefight View Post
I'm not doubting you but that seems very low usage for a boiler stove burning for 12 hours a day.
That's what I use no reason to lie, a fill will last 3-4 hours.
25-10-2016, 20:54   #41
Sam Kade

Quote:
Originally Posted by ablelocks View Post
Quote:
Originally Posted by vicwatson View Post
Its getting worse in Bargain Alerts, the amount of off topic chat
Would you consider minimal efficient usage a bargain?
28-10-2016, 21:29   #42

Not sure if this is a bargain?

Got a leaflet through the door today from Eco Firewood Baldoyle D13.

(Can't post website link - maybe because I am a new user - ecofirewood dot eu)

At checkout these codes can be used: 'eco20' for 20 euro off a 1m3 crate of kiln dried firewood or 'eco40' for 40 euro off a 2m3 crate.

Online it seems the norm for a 2m3 crate of ash is around 360 euro - which is the same here. With the coupon it's 320 euro including nationwide delivery.

Last season I got a 1.5m3 crate of ash from my local Topline for 270 euro including delivery.

Has anyone used Eco Firewood before?
Thanks from:
28-10-2016, 21:38   #43
vicwatson

Isn't all firewood "eco"?
28-10-2016, 22:56   #44

Quote:
Originally Posted by vicwatson
Isn't all firewood "eco"?

I suppose so.

Just wondering about the business itself, quality of wood, delivery, etc. Never dealt with them before.

Whether it's worth taking a punt for 40 euro.
Thanks from:
28-10-2016, 23:52   #45
2forjoy

Just seen this website and prices look ok

http://surefirewood.com/firewood/

Quick Reply
Bold
Italic
Underline

Insert Image
Wrap [QUOTE] tags around selected text

Decrease Size