Boards.ie uses cookies. By continuing to browse this site you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Click here to find out more x

01-06-2016, 22:33   #61
biebiebie

Going to order the sim before midnight.
If anyone wants to PM me their Lycamobile phone number within the next hour or so then I'll include it so you get the free €5.

First come first served... that's if BK isn't interested in the first place :-)
Advertisement
01-06-2016, 22:59   #62
bigdaddy2010

Quote:
Originally Posted by bk View Post
Thing is mobile services can be extremely variable on all networks. It can be great in one area and terrible in the next.

The great thing about Lyca is that they offer a free SIM, so you can simply try it out to see what the reception is like in your area and the places you normally visit.

And if you do sign up to this plan, you can always move after just one month (or sooner) as you aren't in a contract, if you find it doesn't work out.

So really no harm in trying it out.

I've switched from TM and haven't noticed a difference in speeds. But then I'm not a heavy data user (really just for whatsapp, the odd bit of surfing, etc.).

I agree I was with TM, but I've now moved because the really horrible changes they have made in the last two months.

They have started simply cutting people off with no warning, your phone simply goes dead!

This was seemingly first discovered when an elderly lady who was in hospital, sick, had her phone cut off, without warning or explanation!!!

They similarly have cut people off when on holidays abroad.

Just go read the comments on the TM forum. The thread about it has 90,000 views and customers are outraged and worried about it. Yet TM customer support have responded to it terribly and they still haven't changed this terrible new policy. They just keep saying that it is their new "security" policy and that they can't discuss it!

They also actually increased roaming fees last month due to the new EU roaming rules! Everyone thinks this change at least goes against the heart of the EU roaming directive, if not the law (and people are certainly questioning that).

Given this situation, I just can't support them any more and I can't risk my elderly parents and gf being on Tesco Mobile and them just cutting them off without warning. So I'm moving everyone off them.

I was using the Tesco clubcard vouchers for it too, now I'll have them use them on something else.
In fairness that is strange behaviour regarding the elderly lady in the hospital. How many people have actually been affected by this situation. 90k views? Sure that means very little because people found it interesting to read but 90000 were not affected.

Its great to see competition in the mobile market in IRL. Think we get better value for money compared to customers in the UK.
01-06-2016, 23:09   #63
kala85

How can I port my number to lycra mobile and also how do I set up the auto renewal
02-06-2016, 00:01   #64
The lips

I would be willing to give the slow 3g speeds a trial, does they support bluetooth tethering of the 15gb 3g?
02-06-2016, 00:26   #65
GottaGetGatt

Used this network on a spare phone when was in the UK in 2007. Absolutely fantastic at the time ringing home at the time for an hour and and costing less than a pound.
Advertisement
02-06-2016, 00:43   #66
biebiebie

Sim ordered.
Does anyone know how prompt they are at posting them out?
02-06-2016, 07:33   #67
bk

Quote:
Originally Posted by biebiebie View Post
I'm about to order a sim and see there's a €5 bonus if you fill out referred by a friend.

Are we allowed on boards to use the referral option to get the €5 added to our accounts?
Thanks biebiebie, but I don't think we are allowed to do referrals on this forum.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Skerries View Post
does this include ID Mobile?
No, ID mobile is on the actual Three network and has 4G.

Quote:
Originally Posted by bigdaddy2010 View Post
In fairness that is strange behaviour regarding the elderly lady in the hospital. How many people have actually been affected by this situation. 90k views? Sure that means very little because people found it interesting to read but 90000 were not affected.
Numerous people have been cut off (phone simply stops working) without any warning or notification. TM are saying this is a new "security" procedure, but they won't detail what that actually means and who might be effected.

What worries me most about it, is that despite their customers being incredibly upset about this and their social network accounts (boards, twitter, etc.) on fire with angry customers, they seem to be doing nothing to fix it. To either get rid of or properly explain what this policy. It almost feels like they don't care that they are making their customers angry and driving them away. It makes me wonder if they don't care about the Irish market anymore and are simply running it down.

I previously saw similar carry on at o2 before they got bought by Three.

Quote:
Originally Posted by kala85 View Post
How can I port my number to lycra mobile and also how do I set up the auto renewal
https://account.lycamobile.ie/portin...filiatedcode=0

For auto-renewal, when buying the bundle, there is a check box you can tick for it to purchase that package every month.

Quote:
Originally Posted by biebiebie View Post
Sim ordered.
Does anyone know how prompt they are at posting them out?
I got mine very quickly, 2 days.
Thanks from:
02-06-2016, 08:32   #68
degsie

Quote:
Free call and text roaming in 18 countries including UK and US
Not seeing this for the Ireland Plus plan, or am I missing something?
02-06-2016, 08:38   #69
SteM

I'm sure I'm being dense but my brain is hurting from that website. Where do you see that Free call and text roaming in 18 countries including UK? That would be great for myself and my wife.
Advertisement
02-06-2016, 08:54   #70
soirish

Send a message via Yahoo to soirish
Data roaming is a big mess with Lycamobile, see this thread:

http://www.boards.ie/vbulletin/showt...p?t=2057438222

Also pay attention to their terms and conditions:

http://www.lycamobile.ie/en/termsandconditions

Quote:
If you do not use your SIM Card to make a voice call, or send a message or data, or if you do not purchase a top-up using the Top-Up Services, for a period of ninety (90) days from the date you registered or activated your Account or your last use of the Services (whichever is later), Lycamobile will contact you by SMS or e-mail advising you that your SIM Card will be deactivated. Lycamobile will then provide you with an additional thirty (30) days to make a voice call, send a message or data, or purchase a top-up using the Top-Up Services.

If you do not make a voice call, send a message or data, or purchase a top-up using the Top-Up Services within the additional thirty (30) day period, your SIM Card will be deactivated. If the SIM Card is deactivated, your specific telephone number will be reallocated to another Customer, you will not be able to access or use the Services, and you will not be entitled to a refund of any credit balance in your Account.

From 5 August 2014 any new top up credit shall expire ninety [90] days from the date of top-up or recharge.
02-06-2016, 09:06   #71
biebiebie

Quote:
Originally Posted by soirish View Post
Data roaming is a big mess with Lycamobile, see this thread:

http://www.boards.ie/vbulletin/showt...p?t=2057438222

Also pay attention to their terms and conditions:

http://www.lycamobile.ie/en/termsandconditions
So you have to use either voice or text or data within120 days before the sim is deactivated, and you get a reminder after 90 days of inactivity, 30 days in advance of deactivation.

Seems fair enough to me.
02-06-2016, 09:15   #72
biebiebie

Quote:
Originally Posted by SteM View Post
I'm sure I'm being dense but my brain is hurting from that website. Where do you see that Free call and text roaming in 18 countries including UK? That would be great for myself and my wife.
The link is in post #1
http://www.lycamobile.ie/en/roaming-sim-card
Thanks from:
02-06-2016, 09:23   #73
biebiebie

Quote:
Originally Posted by degsie View Post
Not seeing this for the Ireland Plus plan, or am I missing something?
Yep Ireland Plus Plan does qualify for voice and text roaming.
http://www.lycamobile.ie/en/roaming-sim-card
Thanks from:
02-06-2016, 09:52   #74
MarkR

The sim cards they supply, are they the ones that you can pop out to make full size, mini etc?
02-06-2016, 10:02   #75
dunnerc

can you tether with this deal?

Quick Reply
Bold
Italic
Underline

Insert Image
Wrap [QUOTE] tags around selected text

Decrease Size
Increase Size
Please sign up or log in to join the discussion