Boards.ie uses cookies. By continuing to browse this site you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Click here to find out more x
Post Reply  
 
 
Thread Tools Search this Thread
09-12-2014, 15:49   #31
physioman
Registered User
 
Join Date: Jan 2011
Posts: 869
Quote:
Originally Posted by coolkidirish View Post
I placed an order with them this morning.

I went with...
5 x 40kg of Smokeless Ovoids (€12 per bag)
20 x 40kg Champion Premium Coal (€8 per bag)

When you like and share their FaceBook Page they give you 2 free bags on your pallet so it knocked off €16 for 2 of the Champion Premium Coal bags which brought the price down to €204, I asked them to round it down to €200 which they did

Delivery to Cork is €64.58 so in total it cost €264.58 which I was very happy with.

How it works is...
1. You need to ring ACE who are the couriers on 018702822 / 018702836 and pay them for the collection/delivery first.
2. You then ring the office for the Coal Warehouse (O Neill's Coal Warehouse) on 04887740911 (give it about 10 min I was told as they need to wait on an email from ACE to confirm shipping is paid) and give them your order.
3. Wait for delivery ha

It is a bit of back and forth on the phone between the courier and the coal warehouse when you place the order originally, but it is worth it at that price. Apparently delivery takes 2-3 business days, so I will hopefully have it by the weekend so will let you all know how it goes.
What's the price difference between what you are getting and the equivilant in cork
physioman is offline  
Advertisement
09-12-2014, 16:29   #32
coolkidirish
Registered User
 
Join Date: Nov 2013
Posts: 63
Quote:
Originally Posted by physioman View Post
What's the price difference between what you are getting and the equivilant in cork
In my area they only sell Smokeless Coal and the largest bag would be 20KG. Depending on where you buy it it would be €15-€25 for the 20KG bag. I know Topaz even sell 12.5KG bags of Smokeless for €10.85, whereas The Coal Warehouse have 40KG bags of Smokeless for €12 (another €2.60 approx for delivery per bag).

Even if you check out the Co-op webpage you see their prices...

They charge €370.00 for 20 X 40Kg Bord Na Mona Premium Polish Coal which works out at €18.50 per bag, whereas the Coal Warehouse's version is €8 per bag (€2.60 then for delivery)
coolkidirish is offline  
(2) thanks from:
09-12-2014, 17:15   #33
physioman
Registered User
 
Join Date: Jan 2011
Posts: 869
Quote:
Originally Posted by coolkidirish View Post
In my area they only sell Smokeless Coal and the largest bag would be 20KG. Depending on where you buy it it would be €15-€25 for the 20KG bag. I know Topaz even sell 12.5KG bags of Smokeless for €10.85, whereas The Coal Warehouse have 40KG bags of Smokeless for €12 (another €2.60 approx for delivery per bag).

Even if you check out the Co-op webpage you see their prices..


They charge €370.00 for 20 X 40Kg Bord Na Mona Premium Polish Coal which works out at €18.50 per bag, whereas the Coal Warehouse's version is €8 per bag (€2.60 then for delivery)
That is a lot cheaper alright. Was asking my da about them he actually bought a few bags off them 3 weeks ago cuz he lives near them. They have an outlet in clontibret, co. Monaghan.
He wrote back to me saying

"The smokeless i was buying was 17-50 for 40kgs bag, this cost 14-40 for 40kgs so happy enough. Will try a bag of nuggets next time to mix with the bags i got as they are harder to burn. They cost only 12 a bag"
physioman is offline  
09-12-2014, 17:35   #34
coolkidirish
Registered User
 
Join Date: Nov 2013
Posts: 63
Quote:
Originally Posted by physioman View Post
That is a lot cheaper alright. Was asking my da about them he actually bought a few bags off them 3 weeks ago cuz he lives near them. They have an outlet in clontibret, co. Monaghan.
He wrote back to me saying

"The smokeless i was buying was 17-50 for 40kgs bag, this cost 14-40 for 40kgs so happy enough. Will try a bag of nuggets next time to mix with the bags i got as they are harder to burn. They cost only 12 a bag"
Ahhh ya, the Smokeless stuff is the most expensive. The 5 bags of Smokeless I got are for my old fella also, I got the smoky for myself as it is cheaper.
coolkidirish is offline  
09-12-2014, 18:00   #35
vicwatson
Registered User
 
Join Date: Feb 2011
Posts: 25,883
Quote:
Originally Posted by P_Cash View Post
Best coal is black diamond, pinky/red front on the bag. It costs around 17-18 per 40kg bag reputable supplier, usually a good co-op.

The carbon tax has done nothing but bring cheap terrible dangerous s#1t coal to the market.
Not interested in the expensive black diamond coal but the cheap bargain alert coal, I want to know the best Smoky coal that they sell.

Not interested in the environment thanks, cant afford to be interested in it, I need to heat my home for the cheapest price possible, when we all get rich again (!!) I'll consider the environment.
vicwatson is offline  
(3) thanks from:
Advertisement
09-12-2014, 18:05   #36
coolkidirish
Registered User
 
Join Date: Nov 2013
Posts: 63
Quote:
Originally Posted by vicwatson View Post
Not interested in the expensive black diamond coal but the cheap bargain alert coal, I want to know the best Smoky coal that they sell.

Not interested in the environment thanks, cant afford to be interested in it, I need to heat my home for the cheapest price possible, when we all get rich again (!!) I'll consider the environment.
Champion Premium Coal (€8 per bag) is their best smoky coal
coolkidirish is offline  
Thanks from:
09-12-2014, 18:18   #37
P_Cash
Registered User
 
P_Cash's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2013
Posts: 649
Quote:
Originally Posted by vicwatson View Post
Not interested in the expensive black diamond coal but the cheap bargain alert coal, I want to know the best Smoky coal that they sell.

Not interested in the environment thanks, cant afford to be interested in it, I need to heat my home for the cheapest price possible, when we all get rich again (!!) I'll consider the environment.
Lol. Who mentioned the environment.

Best coal is best coal. Nothing to do with environment.

Well i guess you can't do better than 40kg of champion above for €8

What on earth it could be like for 8€ is beyond me.

Is it for open fire, I've heard of coal flying out of the fire. Cheap coal like. So be careful

Then you have the whole thing of how well does a half a bucket of coal burn, and for how long.

I get 10-13hrs from a harmony 1 stove with a 3/4 full bucket of coal in it without touching it.

I'm sure there is coal that just sits there, or needs a storm to push it along and it's burnt in 2 hrs
P_Cash is offline  
(2) thanks from:
09-12-2014, 18:23   #38
P_Cash
Registered User
 
P_Cash's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2013
Posts: 649
Quote:
Originally Posted by coolkidirish View Post
In my area they only sell Smokeless Coal and the largest bag would be 20KG. Depending on where you buy it it would be €15-€25 for the 20KG bag. I know Topaz even sell 12.5KG bags of Smokeless for €10.85, whereas The Coal Warehouse have 40KG bags of Smokeless for €12 (another €2.60 approx for delivery per bag).

Even if you check out the Co-op webpage you see their prices...

They charge €370.00 for 20 X 40Kg Bord Na Mona Premium Polish Coal which works out at €18.50 per bag, whereas the Coal Warehouse's version is €8 per bag (€2.60 then for delivery)

Don't compare bord na Mona polish coal with a cheap coal. Same as comparing a bridgestone Tyre for 130 versus a Tyre for 50.

I think ur just pointing out the cheap deal though. Which indeed it is bargain coal
P_Cash is offline  
09-12-2014, 19:34   #39
screamer
Registered User
 
Join Date: Apr 2009
Posts: 3,299
Quote:
a bridgestone Tyre for 130 versus a Tyre for 50.
You'd be very surprised if you knew where they were all manufactured!

Coal is hit and miss, it depends what you get, a pallet of stuff that is hard as stones to burn or flies up the chimney is a lot to waste money on to find out......
screamer is offline  
Advertisement
09-12-2014, 19:47   #40
coolkidirish
Registered User
 
Join Date: Nov 2013
Posts: 63
Quote:
Originally Posted by screamer View Post
Coal is hit and miss, it depends what you get, a pallet of stuff that is hard as stones to burn or flies up the chimney is a lot to waste money on to find out......
I agree, for my first order I went in with 4 others to be on the safe side and test it out. We got 5 bags each and it works out at approx €50 each for 5 x 40kg bags so not too bad a loss if it isn't great stuff.

I know one fella in Tralee who used them and he got the €7 a bag stuff and said "I ordered it Wednesday and it came today not bad considering time of year we got 1 tonne of the amber flame it's small coal but warm and easy burning"

I'll give ye my verdict on the €8 a bag stuff.
coolkidirish is offline  
(3) thanks from:
09-12-2014, 21:02   #41
Big Lar
Registered User
 
Join Date: Jan 2008
Posts: 1,126
Am very tempted with this, will hold off till next week till the verdicts are in
Big Lar is offline  
09-12-2014, 23:42   #42
 
Join Date: Feb 2012
Posts: 524
I'm tempted as well but I'll wait and see what the verdicts are.
Two winters ago I ordered a pallet of coal from a merchant in Connemara somewhere and it was awful. There was no heat from it at all and I just ended up with loads of ash.
eezipc is offline  
10-12-2014, 00:53   #43
Kristopherus
Registered User
 
Join Date: Jan 2007
Posts: 11,469
Quote:
Originally Posted by eezipc View Post
I'm tempted as well but I'll wait and see what the verdicts are.
Two winters ago I ordered a pallet of coal from a merchant in Connemara somewhere and it was awful. There was no heat from it at all and I just ended up with loads of ash.
But then Coalisland & Clontibret are miles away from Connemara. And I'm pretty sure the same merchant has totally different coal this winter.
Kristopherus is offline  
10-12-2014, 07:41   #44
Inspector Dhar
Registered User
 
Inspector Dhar's Avatar
 
Join Date: Nov 2012
Posts: 131
I placed my order last Wednesday & my pallet was delivered on Thursday. I got 12 bags of Champion & 13 bags of Polish premium. I've been using it in my Stanley & it's 100%. Perhaps more ash than I was getting from the stuff I was paying €18.50 a bag for, but as I got this coal for an average of a tenner a bag, I'm not complaining.
Inspector Dhar is offline  
10-12-2014, 07:59   #45
coolkidirish
Registered User
 
Join Date: Nov 2013
Posts: 63
Quote:
Originally Posted by Inspector Dhar View Post
I placed my order last Wednesday & my pallet was delivered on Thursday. I got 12 bags of Champion & 13 bags of Polish premium. I've been using it in my Stanley & it's 100%. Perhaps more ash than I was getting from the stuff I was paying €18.50 a bag for, but as I got this coal for an average of a tenner a bag, I'm not complaining.
Just out of curiosity, which county did you have it sent to? Trying to estimate when mine might come thanks
coolkidirish is offline  
Post Reply

Quick Reply
Message:
Remove Text Formatting
Bold
Italic
Underline

Insert Image
Wrap [QUOTE] tags around selected text
 
Decrease Size
Increase Size
Please sign up or log in to join the discussion

Thread Tools Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search



Share Tweet