Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Please note that it is not permitted to have referral links posted in your signature. Keep these links contained in the appropriate forum. Thank you.

https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2055940817/signature-rules
Hi all,
Vanilla are planning an update to the site on April 24th (next Wednesday). It is a major PHP8 update which is expected to boost performance across the site. The site will be down from 7pm and it is expected to take about an hour to complete. We appreciate your patience during the update.
Thanks all.

Importing from SA...anyone done this recently?

• 19-07-2020 10:24am
    Registered Users Posts: 420 ✭✭

for some time now I'm after what I would consider to be a classic....VW T3 Syncro (well they're rare in any case :) )

I'm open to doing some resto work but they're nigh on impossible to find in good working condition (not looking for a garage queen) anywhere in Europe at this stage at an affordable price

South Africa is a different ballgame however...there always seems to be some availability and even with import/tax etc. the numbers are much more reasonable (€15k vs €30k+ for a typical German equivalent). SO I've resigned myself to the conclusion that the only way I'll ever own one is to go the SA route. I have brought cars home in the past but Germany is the furthest afield I've been.

From what I have read online the way to go about this is to have the vehicle landed to the UK FIRST then drive her home. Is this correct?

Has anyone on here actually gone thru this in real life? I'd love some pointers please if anyone can offer.

thanks for reading

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 2,303 ✭✭✭w124man

I have owned four T3 Syncro's in my time, all European spec cars, two petrols and two diesels. I sold my last one to a chap in Iceland for a bonkers amount of money but that's what they command. I don't know if you are aware of this but a South African spec Syncro is completely different to a Syncro made in Europe. The body shell is different, body panels are different, brakes, engines and transmissions, even the glass. They are not undersealed either and any SA spec cars that I have seen in the UK that have been there for a few years have rusted away. Be very careful. I sold my last one in 2016 simply because I got fed up with a very poor parts supply.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,796 ✭✭✭Isambard

the advice I was given was to be carefully of criminals in SA. Otherwise you could end up with a cointainer full of a scrap car. I've heard of people welding the container shut....

Advertisement