Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all,
Vanilla are planning an update to the site on April 24th (next Wednesday). It is a major PHP8 update which is expected to boost performance across the site. The site will be down from 7pm and it is expected to take about an hour to complete. We appreciate your patience during the update.
Thanks all.

Dalkey/Killiney Co Dublin - the Italian connection ?

• 14-01-2011 12:14pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 1,260 ✭✭✭

In the Dalkey/Killiney area of Dublin quite a few of the roads have names of Italian sounding origin such as Vico Road, Sorrento Rd, Nerano Rd, Torca Rd. I would imagine there's a history behind it. What it due to some possible trading influence with Italy or somehwere else ?

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 26,567 ✭✭✭✭Fratton Fred

My understanding is that it is due to no more than Killiney's similarity to Sorrento. The area then ended up having streets named after parts of Italy.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 13,549 ✭✭✭✭Judgement Day

Killiney Bay has offten been compared with the Bay of Naples: http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Killiney

d1872519r.jpg

Except that Killiney is nicer!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,260 ✭✭✭PatsytheNazi

My understanding is that it is due to no more than Killiney's similarity to Sorrento. The area then ended up having streets named after parts of Italy.
    Maybe getz or Tac Foley would know as they also live in Dalkey.

Maybe getz or Tac Foley would know as they also live in Dalkey.

??

Are you trolling?

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 20,649 ✭✭✭✭CDfm

Maybe it was property developers back in the day.

Young Arthur or Jonathan comes back from his European Tour and builds some houses and calls the Road Sorrento or Vevay to appeal to the faux sophisticated aspirations of who the houses were being sold to or rented too.

Foreign names have often been in vogue when naming estates to convey a message
    Fed-up Irish property developer names luxury housing estate 'kiss my ass' in Gaelic

By KENNETH HAYNES
    , Irish Central.com

Published Friday, November 27, 2009, 2:36 PM
    Updated Friday, November 27, 2009, 4:50 PM

An irate Irish propery developer has renamed his development "Pogue Mahone Court" — meaning 'Kiss my Ass Court" in Gaelic — after residents objected to a plan to demolish an Edwardian-era house on the site.
    Kevin and Susan O'Gorman have denied they are getting back at residents by renaming the development, which is in Cheltenham in England and where local residents had no idea what the new name meant.
    The Gormans claim the name is the same as the ancestral village in Ireland they come from. However, there is no such name listed anywhere in Irish towns and villages.

http://www.irishcentral.com/news/Fed-up-Irish-property-developer-names-luxury-housing-estate-kiss-my-ass-in-Gaelic-76308637.html

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,260 ✭✭✭PatsytheNazi

CDfm wrote: »
    Maybe it was property developers back in the day.

Young Arthur or Jonathan comes back from his European Tour and builds some houses and calls the Road Sorrento or Vevay to appeal to the faux sophisticated aspirations of who the houses were being sold to or rented too.

Foreign names have often been in vogue when naming estates to convey a message
    Fed-up Irish property developer names luxury housing estate 'kiss my ass' in Gaelic

By KENNETH HAYNES
    , Irish Central.com

Published Friday, November 27, 2009, 2:36 PM
    Updated Friday, November 27, 2009, 4:50 PM

An irate Irish propery developer has renamed his development "Pogue Mahone Court" — meaning 'Kiss my Ass Court" in Gaelic — after residents objected to a plan to demolish an Edwardian-era house on the site.
    Kevin and Susan O'Gorman have denied they are getting back at residents by renaming the development, which is in Cheltenham in England and where local residents had no idea what the new name meant.
    The Gormans claim the name is the same as the ancestral village in Ireland they come from. However, there is no such name listed anywhere in Irish towns and villages.
    http://www.irishcentral.com/news/Fed...-76308637.html
    Good luck to the reidents. Kevin and Susan O'Gorman sound like two arrogant assho1es, children of the Celtic Tiger :rolleyes:. I suppose if it was in Ireland they would just have got one of their friends in Fianna Fail to pull a few strings with the planning board.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 20,649 ✭✭✭✭CDfm

Good luck to the reidents. Kevin and Susan O'Gorman sound like two arrogant assho1es, children of the Celtic Tiger :rolleyes:. I suppose if it was in Ireland they would just have got one of their friends in Fianna Fail to pull a few strings with the planning board.

They do dont they. One thing the English do well is heritage conservation and refurbs. I imagine that if they looked at the heritage that they could have added value.

Advertisement