Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all,
Vanilla are planning an update to the site on April 24th (next Wednesday). It is a major PHP8 update which is expected to boost performance across the site. The site will be down from 7pm and it is expected to take about an hour to complete. We appreciate your patience during the update.
Thanks all.

Words the older generation use.

2»

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,677 ✭✭✭deise go deo

dlofnep wrote: »
    Not off the top of my head, I'm from Waterford.

Meas is a fairly common word in West Waterford.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,008 ✭✭✭uch

Fuist (pron: whisht) Be Quiet!

21/25

• Closed Accounts Posts: 96 ✭✭muineachan

Older people in my family say Crater a lot from Creatúr meaning 'poor' like an ill person 'ah the creatúr, hope she gets better'

I also hear Luder a lot from luderachán (spelling?) meaning idiot much like amadán.

To be honest with you I would use the above but I never hear them up in Dublin, and they seem to be more common in the older people.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,005 ✭✭✭Enkidu

uch wrote: »
    No way! That's shocking! There really is more Irish in our English than you'd think.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 20,759 ✭✭✭✭dlofnep

uch wrote: »

My grandparents and uncles/aunts always use whisht. Never knew it derived from Irish, but figured it must have!

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 12,089 ✭✭✭✭P. Breathnach

Enkidu wrote: »
    ... There really is more Irish in our English than you'd think.

As I am sure you recognise, the use of Irish syntax in Hiberno-English is more significant.

• Registered Users Posts: 63 ✭✭whatthefeck

Spailpín = Migrant worker

When we went to visit our relatives during the summer as a child I can remember my uncle saying, Oh the Spailpíns have landed.

• Registered Users Posts: 991 ✭✭✭LimeFruitGum

Oinseach is a word my father would use for a female eejit, but other than that, he wouldn't know any Irish at all.

A lot of the words mentioned already like Cratur, cipíns and boreens, were in common use when I was growing up. One example that comes to mind is "bould banbh", which was what my nan would call a cheeky/naughty child (or indeed animal :))
    Anyway, a piglet was always called a banbh and would never be called by its English name.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 71 ✭✭SisterAnn

I've heard talk among older folks of 'the gatch of him', meaning his carry-on or antics. Derived from 'geaitsí' no?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 11 ardri12345

my mother would have used words like saying someone was full of taspie (meaning in high spirits,)when visiting people she would say she was scroitking,if some thing broke it was in pure bruis,she would have no mass (respect) on me if i did not give the cattle a "tisk kaan" of nuts.(ps.i have wrote the words as they sounded to my ear)

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 402 ✭✭Jelly2

Gaeilge72 wrote: »
    Meas (respect) is another word commonly heard; "I wouldn't have any meas in him". Heard a lot around Cork / Waterford anyway. Anyone else heard this much?

I'm from Wexford (south-west), and we use this regularly. But we say 'meas on' as in 'She had no meas on it.' Lovely colloquialism I think.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 21 Gaeilge72

Jelly2 wrote: »
    I'm from Wexford (south-west), and we use this regularly. But we say 'meas on' as in 'She had no meas on it.' Lovely colloquialism I think.

I agree, it's quite nice.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,811 ✭✭✭Tigerandahalf

My mother would often say this, as in...'you have no means on anything'. She would also refer to some people (not the nice kind) as a 'bacach'. Bacach means lame so I can only presume that people who were born with a disability were seen as being somehow cursed or bad luck in times long ago. Farmers would often call a calf's hoofs when a cow is calving 'crúbíns'. 'Banbh' would also be used to describe a piglet. I hear many of these. 'Bóithrín' would also be often used. I think you generally find sayings like these in rural Ireland, often amongst people who wouldn't be speaking with many others in their working lives.

• Registered Users Posts: 402 ✭✭Jelly2

My mother would often say this, as in...'you have no means on anything'. She would also refer to some people (not the nice kind) as a 'bacach'. Bacach means lame so I can only presume that people who were born with a disability were seen as being somehow cursed or bad luck in times long ago. Farmers would often call a calf's hoofs when a cow is calving 'crúbíns'. 'Banbh' would also be used to describe a piglet. I hear many of these. 'Bóithrín' would also be often used. I think you generally find sayings like these in rural Ireland, often amongst people who wouldn't be speaking with many others in their working lives.

Actually, I think that 'bacach' was used to refer to wandering poor, who used to beg at houses mostly, and were not of the nice kind (ie the deserving poor), but were thought to be a bit rogueish because of thievery etc. It was sometimes anglicised as 'bocough'. This would make sense, if your mother was using it pejoratively (no offence!).

• Registered Users Posts: 941 ✭✭✭An gal gréine

I dont think the lame were regarded unkindly. The Ó Dónaill dictionary has beggar as it's second meaning for bacach and it's third meaning is " mean person, sponger" and finally "dispicable person".

Advertisement