Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all,
Vanilla are planning an update to the site on April 24th (next Wednesday). It is a major PHP8 update which is expected to boost performance across the site. The site will be down from 7pm and it is expected to take about an hour to complete. We appreciate your patience during the update.
Thanks all.

Why are there still republican parties?

• 02-01-2011 9:38pm
    Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 5,524 ✭✭✭

Why are there still republican parties in the republic of ireland when they are clearly not needed (its clear by the name) shouldn't they be having parties like labour or conservative?? What is the need for this seriously they are out of the uk so they have no need i don't even see what people are going to get out of voting for them? What is the need? What are people getting out of them?

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 19,986 ✭✭✭✭mikemac

They have not achieved their goal yet

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 5,524 ✭✭✭owenc

They have not achieved their goal yet

They have they are "Free" from the uk.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 14,670 ✭✭✭✭Wolfe Tone

Owen, you know the answer already. Ireland has 32 counties.

Is this not more politics than H&H?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 19,986 ✭✭✭✭mikemac

But not 32 counties, goal not achieved yet

Anyway owenc, how is this a history thread? If you're discussing parties in this current time get it moved over to politics forum

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 528 ✭✭✭Jake Rugby Walrus666

question may depend on exactly how you define republicanism.
    Fianna Fail are not a republican party (obviously)
    In ROI sinn fein represent slightly left in economic policy, slightly anti european, fairly populist like the rest of em. they don't really push a 32 county goal as there is no appetite for it and no possibility.

So to answer your question - there is no republican parties in the country.

• Advertisement

Aw right i thought this was a history thing delete it mods please shouldn't have bothered can't be bothered with the hassle.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,577 ✭✭✭jonniebgood1

There are not republican parties, Perhaps to look into how and why parties have moved away from republicanism would be in more keeping with History. The only reason people still mention republicanism as it may gain some votes. The parties reflect what the public want so at some stage after 1922 the majority of people in Republic became content (rather than happy with an ideal situation) with the border and their priority was economic progress and policy. Thus the main Irish parties have long since lost any true republican aspirations.

I would class SF as a "main Irish party"

MUSSOLINI wrote: »
    I would class SF as a "main Irish party"

That is fair enough. I don't expect them to fight the next election on republican grounds. If they did it would not allow them make the gains neccessary to make them a force.
    To keep this historical we should try to see why parties including SF do not push republican policy (i.e. that the whole island of Ireland be a separate republic). Surely this changed at some stage soon after 1922?

That is fair enough. I don't expect them to fight the next election on republican grounds. If they did it would not allow them make the gains neccessary to make them a force.
    To keep this historical we should try to see why parties including SF do not push republican policy (i.e. that the whole island of Ireland be a separate republic). Surely this changed at some stage soon after 1922?

Well how do they not that is the only reason why sf is in southern ireland so they can get support for a UI no offence but tbh they don't really care about the economy of southern ireland all they care about is a UI well thats what i gather anyway. Maybe they don't push for a UI because they know that getting support from southern ireland won't be enough because the desicion is upto the people of Northern Ireland AND over the years people in Southern Ireland have began to float away about Nothern Ireland and not really bothered about it as it won't affect them?

• Advertisement

Keith, why are there Unionists parties in the north when "they have what they want"?

I imagine one of the main reasons why they didn't was because they did not want to be associated with the PIRA and/or have loyalists attack the south.

Keith, why are there Unionists parties in the north when "they have what they want"?

Because.. We are here to keep the union but there are many more things swell like heritage... But again as I just said there are no need for republicans in southern ireland because they have a republic which can't change the union can plus unionists CAN do stuff about the union republicans cant

I imagine one of the main reasons why they didn't was because they did not want to be associated with the PIRA and/or have loyalists attack the south.

If they aren't pushing for a united Ireland what are they for??

owenc wrote: »
    If they aren't pushing for a united Ireland what are they for??

I believe this is more an aspiration. I also think you need to differentiate between NI SF and southern SF as they portray themselves in different ways, have different support bases, and most importantly different relevence.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 16,165 ✭✭✭✭brianthebard

republicanism is an ideology, it doesn't stop when a country is named a republic. Not a history thread, locked. mod.

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement