Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all,
Vanilla are planning an update to the site on April 24th (next Wednesday). It is a major PHP8 update which is expected to boost performance across the site. The site will be down from 7pm and it is expected to take about an hour to complete. We appreciate your patience during the update.
Thanks all.

Where is this place?

• 04-09-2010 2:45pm
    Registered Users Posts: 5

Hi guys. I'm new to the forum. Just researching my family tree and have found a few relatives come from Ireland, but I don't know where in Ireland.
    In all censuses, only one relative has a town name for where they were born. All the others just have "Ireland" listed, so I don't know if I can ever track them down. They all moved to England in the 1830's to 70's.

But the one town name I have appears in the 1881 uk census as Bellenshules Terone, Ireland. I just can't find this place, so I have pasted a copy of how it appears in the census. If anyone could help me identify this place I would be very grateful. If it's any help their surname was McCrory or McCroy, 90% sure the first is the more common. And they were born at this place in the 1850's.

irelandt.png

Thank you.

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 5 treehunter

Also that's probably not the correct spelling, but just how the town name sounded to the guy taking the census.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,420 ✭✭✭Dionysus

Terone = Tyrone. Go to Seanruad, choose Tyrone from the dropdpwn menu, then under 'Search method' choose 'at beginning of field'. Put a 'b' into townland, check all the results. Go back and put a 'B' in the other boxes (e.g. civil parish) until you find it.

www.logainm.ie would also be worth a look. 'Bellin' sounds like a phonetic rendering of 'Baile an' or 'Béal an'.

• Registered Users Posts: 134 ✭✭alabandical

How's about Ballynasollus, Co. Tyrone?

There seem to be a McCrory family there too.

http://www.census.nationalarchives.ie/pages/1901/Tyrone/Ballynasollus/Ballynasollus/

That's some brilliant information guys. Ballynasollus was one of my hunches, three families of McCrory's can't be wrong haha. I'm trying to find who my relative's parents were. Are there any Ireland census records for 1861 or 1871?
    And can anyone work out what it says after "Terone"? Pretty hard to decifer.
    Thanks again.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,101 ✭✭✭Kalimah

Last word looks like Ireland. Unfortunately there are no census records remaining of 1861 or 1871 for Ireland. I believe they were all either pulped for paper during the WW1 or destroyed during the War of Independence

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 11 edge500

Hello , my great grandparents where from Ballynasollus. McCrorys ,Patrick and Maggie . He was born around 1879 , the story goes that he went to New York years ago and had a job building the George Washington bridge . His wife was 22 yrs younger then him. I think it was his 2nd wife , the 1st died after 9months of marrige . They had 6 children , 4 girls and two boys . 3 of the girls are still living , all of them in the US. Patrick had a brother called Matthew. He had a cousin who was a nun and lived until 104 yrs of age. I will ask my mum for further info soon.

Just read about the records being destroyed, very sad.
    That's unbelievable Edge500! My ancestor was Ann, Anna or Annie McCrory born between 1852-55. She moved to England sometime before 1875.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1 jrwh72

Hello,
    I just found this board when I did a Google search of Ballynasollus. I'm researching Hamill/McCrory. Matthew Mccrory married Bridget Hamill. Bridget's brother Andrew was my husbands GGrandfather. He left Tyrone to join the British Army and served in India. He then settled in Glasgow. I'd like to share info with anyone with connections to Hamill/McCrory

Hello edge500. Any news about the McCrory's from Ballynasollus?
    Thanks.
    jrwh72, what year was Matthew in Ballynasollus, and do you know his parents names?

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 5,524 ✭✭✭owenc

Its somewhere in county tyrone its the irish name for tyrone

• Advertisement
Advertisement