Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

'Ghost signs'

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 8,595 ✭✭✭bonerm

pithater1 wrote: »
    Fantastic thread.

What about that pub "adifferentkettleoffishaltogether" on the North Quays? Whenever I've walked past it it always seems to be closed, has it gone under?

Surely a candidate if that is the case.

There's something going on in there. It's always covered (inside of window) with Mannix Flynn posters anytime there's an election on.

• Registered Users Posts: 14,681 ✭✭✭✭P_1

bonerm wrote: »
    There's something going on in there. It's always covered (inside of window) with Mannix Flynn posters anytime there's an election on.

Yeah I have noticed that, I'll try and snag a photo of it tomorrow, it deserves a spot here purely for the name alone.

• Registered Users Posts: 969 ✭✭✭murrayp4

newsagents on poolbeg street
    rsz_005.jpg

The newsagents on Poolbeg St. is still open (closes @ 3 gach lá)

• Registered Users Posts: 969 ✭✭✭murrayp4

get stuffed deli on tara street
    rsz_006.jpg

Get stuffed used to do amazing tuna melts, and would open very late. Used to go there after work at about 4am :D

• Registered Users Posts: 23,246 ✭✭✭✭Dyr

bonerm wrote: »

I thought it was maniix flynns' studio-exhibition gallery or whatever

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 20,029 ✭✭✭✭neris

murrayp4 wrote: »
    Get stuffed used to do amazing tuna melts, and would open very late. Used to go there after work at about 4am :D

up to a while ago nearly all those shops in that row would have been candidates fir ghosts signs

• Closed Accounts Posts: 23,865 ✭✭✭✭January

murrayp4 wrote: »
    The newsagents on Poolbeg St. is still open (closes @ 3 gach lá)

And does some yummy rolls too!

• Registered Users Posts: 132 ✭✭Sticky Fingers

John Egan & Son, Mineral Water Manufacturers. Sligo Town

• Closed Accounts Posts: 534 ✭✭✭Lahm

Sligo?

:D

• Registered Users Posts: 389 ✭✭boosh_fan

Not sure if this qualifies as a ghost sign as the company is still going but based in Gorey, Co. Wexford now.

Motor Clocks Ltd on Blessington Street.

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 11,296 Mod ✭✭✭✭Hermy

Good spot boosh - I had wondered if they were gone altogether or just moved.

Genealogy Forum Mod

• Registered Users Posts: 7,516 ✭✭✭GerardKeating

Two signs on Middle Abbey Street, just opposite Arnotts.

Spotted this today driving down Tara St so quality isnt teh best. Either im blind and never noticed this for years or else the demolition job on the corner uncovered it. I think Heitons also used to own the site of what is now the semi built former to be HQ for Anglo Irish on the other side of the river at New Wapping St.

boosh_fan wrote: »
    Not sure if this qualifies as a ghost sign as the company is still going but based in Gorey, Co. Wexford now.

We owned a house further up the road from that when I was a kid and always wonderd what exactly a motor clock was and what they did.

neris wrote: »
    Spotted this today driving down Tara St so quality isnt teh best. Either im blind and never noticed this for years or else the demolition job on the corner uncovered it. I think Heitons also used to own the site of what is now the semi built former to be HQ for Anglo Irish on the other side of the river at New Wapping St.

Damn - beat me to it.:)

Genealogy Forum Mod

Not great quality as was a quick grab of the phone and shoot while stopedin traffic at Sutton Cross. Book shop that was there the best part of 20 years or more in the area. Meant to get this a few weeks back and could have had three in a row. The shop to the left was Keoghs newsagents which recently closed down and then took their sign away. Theyd been the newsagent for around 50 years in Sutton. To the left of that out of shot was a florist who closed down but signs still up. The premises of all is owned by the owners of superquinn so wouldnt be surprised if there was a massive jacking up of rents involved and also the fact that when the quinns sold out the new owners started competing with these shops

managed to get the florist

A few I spotted yesterday which I don't think have been posted yet:

Comet Records in Temple Bar
    DSC01883_Medium.jpg

Manfield Chambers in Middle Abbey Street
    DSC01886_Medium.jpg

DSC01887_Medium.jpg

DSC01888_Medium.jpg

Mooney & Co opposite Wynns Hotel
    DSC01890_Medium.jpg

DSC01891_Medium.jpg

DSC01892_Medium.jpg

There is also the shadow of a sign behind the Permanent TSB sign but I can't make it out.

Genealogy Forum Mod

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 94 ✭✭Phenomenally Phrank

Hermy wrote: »

Comet Records in Temple Bar
    DSC01883_Medium.jpg

I teared up a little when I saw this one; great memories of this place. Hope they don't get rid of the colour scheme:(

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 94 ✭✭Phenomenally Phrank

boosh_fan wrote: »

If the company is no longer trading at that location, then it qualifies as a ghost sign.

I teared up a little when I saw this one; great memories of this place. Hope they don't get rid of the colour scheme:(
    Yeah, a great shop inside and out.:)

Genealogy Forum Mod

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 7,398 ✭✭✭Paparazzo

Here's one. Think it says Murrays Undertakers.
    Anyone know the location?

IMAG0081.jpg

• Registered Users Posts: 495 ✭✭DermoMIO

^behind the Car rental place on Baggot St Bridge I think

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Education Moderators Posts: 27,100 CMod ✭✭✭✭spurious

Spotted this a couple of weeks ago at the causeway to go onto Bull island.
    picture.php?albumid=309&pictureid=11507

In which direction the 'Facilities' were, I don't know. I think part of the old wall is missing.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,357 ✭✭✭snappieT

Bottom of Philipsburgh Avenue in Fairview, unfortunately somewhat faded at this stage:
    2i7l4jo.png

• Registered Users Posts: 2,808 ✭✭✭Ste.phen

spurious wrote: »
    Spotted this a couple of weeks ago at the causeway to go onto Bull island.
    picture.php?albumid=309&pictureid=11507

In which direction the 'Facilities' were, I don't know. I think part of the old wall is missing.

I think that's a recent one, one of those powerwashed-into-dirty-concrete things for <something>facilities.ie - it's probably there since one of the kite surfing championships

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Education Moderators Posts: 27,100 CMod ✭✭✭✭spurious

Ste.phen wrote: »
    I think that's a recent one, one of those powerwashed-into-dirty-concrete things for <something>facilities.ie - it's probably there since one of the kite surfing championships
    Oh bah! I was wondering how I hadn't spotted it before.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1 suzannec1985

foreign wrote: »
    Barley Mow pub on the corner of Francis Street and Marks Alley West. Closed for a good few years now. Was used in the movie Rat. Burned down not long after that or during filming. Can't remember.

picture.php?albumid=783&pictureid=6864
    Hi
    Does anyone know if the barley mo or the building for the Old Dublin Restaurant is for sale? I would really like to see inside the upper levels of the restaurant as my grandparents lived their till the property was either sold or condemend
    Thanks a bunch

• Registered Users Posts: 865 ✭✭✭A Disgrace

foreign wrote: »
    Barley Mow pub on the corner of Francis Street and Marks Alley West. Closed for a good few years now. Was used in the movie Rat. Burned down not long after that or during filming. Can't remember.

picture.php?albumid=783&pictureid=6864
    Hi
    Does anyone know if the barley mo or the building for the Old Dublin Restaurant is for sale? I would really like to see inside the upper levels of the restaurant as my grandparents lived their till the property was either sold or condemend
    Thanks a bunch

Is the restaurant part of the building? The pub is nearly entirely gutted from the fire I'm afraid, although there are some bits of it left. I'd say the site itself is in severe danger of demolition, as it's not on the record of protected structures

• Registered Users Posts: 379 ✭✭stek

old mother redcap pub dublin

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 7,692 ✭✭✭Dublin_Gunner

stek wrote: »
    old mother redcap pub dublin

Hardly what I'd consider a 'Ghost Sign' ;) but nice pic nonetheless :)

(though I suppose if technically the company / business isn't there any more it qualifies?)

Advertisement