Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all,
Vanilla are planning an update to the site on April 24th (next Wednesday). It is a major PHP8 update which is expected to boost performance across the site. The site will be down from 7pm and it is expected to take about an hour to complete. We appreciate your patience during the update.
Thanks all.

* Ag Science Predictions / discussion / aftermath * (One thread please)

• 15-06-2011 7:23pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 30

Okay so after history not goin as well as id planned i really need to do well in ag to make up the points. Iv done a good project so if i pass the paper il get a C2 or C3 but would love a B iv got a week off before its on so iv some serious cramming to dosmile.gif has anyone got any tips on what i should focus on or predictions for what will come up or can you even predict for ag???any help please????

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 334 ✭✭._.

Bit early for me to be thinking about Ag, I have Biology and Chem to take care of first :p

• Registered Users Posts: 45 Farmer poet

get all the answers from examination.ie and go over all the years.... that really helped me..
    Go over soil, genetics, grass, animal figures ( birthweight, gestation lenght..), phylums...flushing and steaming up in sheep production.

Can someone tell me what soil flocculation is? I never really covered it.

• Registered Users Posts: 814 ✭✭✭NotExactly

._. wrote: »
    Bit early for me to be thinking about Ag, I have Biology and Chem to take care of first :p

Pfft, it's some peoples next exam. It's not all 'bout you y'know:rolleyes:

• Registered Users Posts: 334 ✭✭._.

NotExactly wrote: »
    Pfft, it's some peoples next exam. It's not all 'bout you y'know:rolleyes:

In fairness, I did say "for me" :p (indicating that I'd be checking in with this thread later).

• Closed Accounts Posts: 30 fitz1011

get all the answers from examination.ie and go over all the years.... that really helped me..
    Go over soil, genetics, grass, animal figures ( birthweight, gestation lenght..), phylums...flushing and steaming up in sheep production.

Thank you!!!according to my rapid revision flocculation is when ''clay particles come together into floccules or small clusters to improve soil structure''.Dont know how much use that is to you, dont really understand it myself either:P!!

• Advertisement

fitz1011 wrote: »
    Thank you!!!according to my rapid revision flocculation is when ''clay particles come together into floccules or small clusters to improve soil structure''.Dont know how much use that is to you, dont really understand it myself either:P!!

Haha I think I have the same one! I'm kinda in an Ag mood so I'll talk about what I know...Might get your brain going!
    Functions of a leaf.... Food storage, gaseous exchange, photosyn, transpiration.
    Conditions for germination-- Water , oxygen , warmth..
    Seed structure --- Testa, Embryo, Endosperm.
    Stages of nutrition-- Ingestion, digestion, absorbtion, assimilation, egestion.
    Oxytocin- Milk let down , Prolactin - Milk production.
    Zoonoses -An animal disease that humans can contract.
    Milk is 87.5% water.
    Wire worms - Arthropoda, Lung worms - Nematoda, Earthworms - Annelida.
    Apples- Rosacaea .. Docks - polygonacaea..

• Registered Users Posts: 1,586 ✭✭✭Healium

Make sure you have a general knowledge of everything. They always throw in a stinker of a question or two, sometimes not even on the syllabus. I also wouldn't leave out any section. Study every topic, even if you only have the most basic knowledge of some of them. Anything could come up in the short questions, and sometimes you'll get 2 topics within one of the later questions

Jeeeeeesus, you're really testing me here. Errr, I think it's something to do with ions and cations, and the soil particles forming lumps (crumbs) :confused: Sorry, I've drank all my Ag. Science knowledge away *shivers* It'll be in the experiments section, anyway. Surely you have a revision book? I like how rainbowtrout thanked the post, and didn't answer you :p No more free answers on here anymore, you've to buy the book :D

• Registered Users Posts: 15,381 ✭✭✭✭rainbowtrout

Healium wrote: »
    Make sure you have a general knowledge of everything. They always throw in a stinker of a question or two, sometimes not even on the syllabus. I also wouldn't leave out any section. Study every topic, even if you only have the most basic knowledge of some of them. Anything could come up in the short questions, and sometimes you'll get 2 topics within one of the later questions

Jeeeeeesus, you're really testing me here. Errr, I think it's something to do with ions and cations, and the soil particles forming lumps (crumbs) :confused: Sorry, I've drank all my Ag. Science knowledge away *shivers* It'll be in the experiments section, anyway. Surely you have a revision book? I like how rainbowtrout thanked the post, and didn't answer you :p No more free answers on here anymore, you've to buy the book :D

I thanked it because it was good advice :p

• Moderators, Education Moderators Posts: 29,509 Mod ✭✭✭✭randylonghorn

Healium wrote: »
    No more free answers on here anymore ...
    After being tormented by you for two years, hard to blame her! :p

• Registered Users Posts: 15,381 ✭✭✭✭rainbowtrout

It's where small soil particles (clay and silt) cluster together to form larger particles or structures called floccules. They are normally attracted to each other due to their cations and the polarisation of water in the soil.

They then trap larger particles which have no ions such as sand to form even larger particles.

If you could imagine a chain of silt and clay particles attracted to each other, forming a ring around a sand particle holding it in place, that's a floccule.

• Advertisement

If i leave out grassland and soil will i still be able to pass??? il still have the biology,crops,animals,genetics and phylum covered i just really dont have time to do grassland and soil too?????? :confused:

• Closed Accounts Posts: 37 frenchy1992

Hey..
    I wouldnt leave anything else to be honest :

Question 7 (my favourite :p )

A. Definitions
    Gametes, Alleles, Haploid, Diploid, Heterozygous, homozygous, incomplete dominance, sex linkage, multiple alleles, mutation, Dominant, recessive, inbreeding, crossbreeding... Anything else you can think of !

B. your crosses
    *Monohybrid cross
    *Dehybrid cross
    *Back cross
    *Incomplete dominance

C. Applied Genetics
    *Embryo transplantation
    *Micro propagation
    *Performance ant progeny testing
    *Polyploidy
    *AI
    *Hybrids

Question 2

A. Factors affecting soil formation
    *Parent material
    *Climate
    *Topography
    *Living organisms
    *Time

B.Soil Profiles
    Usually you have the choice. Podzol is the easiest !

C.Soil Forming process
    *Calcification
    *Acidification
    *Gleisation

D.Lime
    Adv. + Disadv. of liming

E. Properties of Soil
    Physical properties (i.e. texture, water, structure etc..)
    Chemical properties (I.e. Cation exchange capacity..)
    Biological properties (i.e. earthworms .. )

F. Experiment
    *pH
    *CEC
    *Soil capillarity
    *%water
    *Drainage

Any else you can think of !

For question 4 simply study your experiment copy.. an experiment takes about 15 mn to learn it's really no big deal

These are not predictions but I just would not take the chance to leave out anything..

fitz1011 wrote: »
    If i leave out grassland and soil will i still be able to pass??? il still have the biology,crops,animals,genetics and phylum covered i just really dont have time to do grassland and soil too?????? :confused:

Sure you'll pass, but I'd recommend grassland..One of the easier parts of the course I think!

• Registered Users Posts: 802 ✭✭✭Vodkat

Hey..
    I wouldnt leave anything else to be honest :

Question 7 (my favourite :p )

A. Definitions
    Gametes, Alleles, Haploid, Diploid, Heterozygous, homozygous, incomplete dominance, sex linkage, multiple alleles, mutation, Dominant, recessive, inbreeding, crossbreeding... Anything else you can think of !

B. your crosses
    *Monohybrid cross
    *Dehybrid cross
    *Back cross
    *Incomplete dominance

C. Applied Genetics
    *Embryo transplantation
    *Micro propagation
    *Performance ant progeny testing
    *Polyploidy
    *AI
    *Hybrids

Question 2

A. Factors affecting soil formation
    *Parent material
    *Climate
    *Topography
    *Living organisms
    *Time

B.Soil Profiles
    Usually you have the choice. Podzol is the easiest !.................

I tend to opt for these two questions also. Q.2 is ALWAYS on soil, Q.7 ALWAYS genetics, Q.4 is the experiments and Q.9 is the scientific explainations, Q.1 is the mixed bag of questions and then i'm left to choose one nice one from whatever is left. I find it the easiest way to do the exam. I'm hoping the experiment questions are nice, theres just so many to learn.

My teacher posted me out some extra notes last week on organic farming and a note to say she thinks there may be a question thrown in somewhere about it.
    Eg. Differences between fertilizers spread on a field with normal potatoes and one that is organic.
    Something along those lines. I wouldnt go into too much detail on it though.

Have to say the AG Pre's this year were way to easy and I seem to have done less study since.

MOO

• Closed Accounts Posts: 33 CokeyBear

Grass and Soil are 2 of the easiest areas on the course IMO, grass is very easy and soil is a guaranteed question.

If you use your head and learn what you know is coming up Ie Q2, 4 and 7 + Good marks in Q1/9 plus your best marks from another question you'll easily get a B.

All I'm doing now at this stage is doing a different topic a day, doing the questions back to 2001 getting the answers from the marking schemes. Write out about 2-3 more points than what's asked for from the marking schemes that make sense and look like a proper answer, then on the day you'll remember at least 3-4 (they'll normally be looking for 3-4 points in a question). This will also help you with the Q1s and 9s. Know your soil experiments inside out as 1 comes up in Q2 every year and if you're lucky 1 will show up in the Q4 as well.

If you use your head, it's a very easy paper to get marks in as you know to a certain extent what's coming up and if you do past questions, it's quite likely you'll have answered a very similar question.

• Registered Users Posts: 102 ✭✭galwayman17..

hey guys im just wondering what i should be focusing on for the exam. Q2 and the gentics question are fine and ill be attempting the general 1st question and im learning the experiments.

but what other areas should i study because i want to try and get a B2 or B3 in this subject and i think its very achievable. any thoughts will be really helpful!:D:D

Do the last 8 years of Q9s, they'll help your general knowledge of the course for 12/16 marks questions on other areas. Then just go through the papers and do any questions relating to livestock / tillage / grass + silage.

If you do the previous 8 years of Q9s you'll be bound to see 3/4 of them pop up in other questions, they're very easy and pretty much general knowledge type questions.

Beef might be worth looking over...late maturing breeds, suckler beef production, EUROP...

CokeyBear wrote: »
    Do the last 8 years of Q9s, they'll help your general knowledge of the course for 12/16 marks questions on other areas. Then just go through the papers and do any questions relating to livestock / tillage / grass + silage.

If you do the previous 8 years of Q9s you'll be bound to see 3/4 of them pop up in other questions, they're very easy and pretty much general knowledge type questions.

thanking you! thats a big help! :D
    Beef might be worth looking over...late maturing breeds, suckler beef production, EUROP...

yeah man i'll do that! thanks for the reply so quick!;)

Any suggestions for the experiments (question 4) this year ?

• Advertisement

Eoin Jackson has his predictions for ag on this and he has the 16 most likely experiments could be handy.:)
    http://www.facebook.com/pages/*XLc-Project/129730288150

• Registered Users Posts: 1,414 ✭✭✭LC2010HIS

How many experiments is there to learn for the Exp Q?

Is it the full 54 in the rapid revision?! Someone help!:eek:

I'd actually go with Jackson's predictions for Ag Science in this case. His predictions for History were awful and his predictions for Chemistry defy logic, but his predictions on experiments and what's coming up for Ag Science actually do make sense.

I'd actually go with Jackson's predictions for Ag Science in this case. His predictions for History were awful and his predictions for Chemistry defy logic, but his predictions on experiments and what's coming up for Ag Science actually do make sense.

are his predictions up online? i dont see them?

guys just wondering with regard to answering the questions... do you give a nice paragraph about what your saying or do you just jot down the info and which would be better to do if both were satisfactory?

guys just wondering with regard to answering the questions... do you give a nice paragraph about what your saying or do you just jot down the info and which would be better to do if both were satisfactory?

I write my answer with all the necessary points and just enough related writing so it makes sense. Paragraphs don't really work for science subject IMO.

I dont see them either ! Neither on his fb page nor on his youtube page :/

Here's his predictions. Top 15 topics to cover and 16 experiments to cover.

http://www.mediafire.com/?d8847dohqgp9j98

• Registered Users Posts: 1,414 ✭✭✭LC2010HIS

LC2010HIS wrote: »
    How many experiments is there to learn for the Exp Q?

Is it the full 54 in the rapid revision?! Someone help!:eek:

^^ Really need to know as its a new subject for me this year !

• Advertisement

LC2010HIS wrote: »
    ^^ Really need to know as its a new subject for me this year !

You're supposed to know all 54, but if you cover the 16 in that link you'll more than likely get 2 that you know.

Advertisement