Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Please note that it is not permitted to have referral links posted in your signature. Keep these links contained in the appropriate forum. Thank you.

https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2055940817/signature-rules
Hi all,
Vanilla are planning an update to the site on April 24th (next Wednesday). It is a major PHP8 update which is expected to boost performance across the site. The site will be down from 7pm and it is expected to take about an hour to complete. We appreciate your patience during the update.
Thanks all.

What car would you like to see re-introduced to the market?

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 982 ✭✭✭Rrrrrr2

and with good reason

I think that yoke is still being sold- or some more recent incarnation of it. Truly awful cars. Genuinely perplexed as to why anyone would buy any ssangyong- they’re not even cheap

• Registered Users Posts: 3,221 ✭✭✭darragh o meara

garrettod wrote: »
    C'mon, who doesn't want to own one of these, and try driving at 88mph?

I suggested one myself but have since seen on TV that the people who bought all the remaining parts and the rights to Delorean are planning on making new ones using the parts they got from the factory. Might not be too long before you see a 202 Delorean after all 😀

• Closed Accounts Posts: 12,653 ✭✭✭✭Plumbthedepths

https://images.app.goo.gl/RKBXjV5ZoSmxuQFS7

Loved to look at these as a kid, still do.

• Registered Users Posts: 18,921 ✭✭✭✭BonnieSituation

elperello wrote: »
    Carina 88-92

I own a 1990 liftback. It's a ****in' boat. I love it. Dying to restore it back to showroom.

I think Fiat have clearly missed a beat with the obvious gems in their back catalogue they could bring back like the Sopder and 500.

Love this concept 127.

04%2B%25281%2529.jpg

http://www.davidobendorfer.com/projectF127.html

Imagine a modern day Ritmo or X19. Oof...

• Advertisement

Both would either rust or fall apart before they left the showroom 🀣

Both would either rust or fall apart before they left the showroom ��

I'm assuming they won't be made like their ancestors.:confused:

• Registered Users Posts: 520 ✭✭✭Minister Boyce

Peaugot 205 GTI (1.9)

I'm assuming they won't be made like their ancestors.:confused:

But would it really be true to the original if it didn’t rust or fall apart :) A non rusting X19 would have actually been a decent enough car.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,448 ✭✭✭FGR

I own a 1990 liftback. It's a ****in' boat. I love it. Dying to restore it back to showroom.

Now that would be incredible. One of the reasons I'd love to have a separate garage would be to do something like that in my spare time.

Is OEM parts availability still good for Carinas and earlier Avensis models?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 3,491 ✭✭✭Montage of Feck

humberklog wrote: »
    Audi A2 in Full EV in that same aluminium body.

Bring back the a4, tt and a8 of that era while your at it. Great sleek, unfuzzy designs that still look modern.

🙈🙉🙊

• Registered Users Posts: 3,491 ✭✭✭Montage of Feck

A "real" Ford Puma ST.

🙈🙉🙊

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,910 ✭✭✭begbysback

Opel manta, or Toyota celica

• Registered Users Posts: 2,155 ✭✭✭StereoSound

I would like to see the Nissan Bluebird come back.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,012 ✭✭✭njburke

Rover 75 Tourer, top spec with M47 engine and Jatco Auto box. I had 2 in their day.

FGR wrote: »
    Now that would be incredible. One of the reasons I'd love to have a separate garage would be to do something like that in my spare time.

Is OEM parts availability still good for Carinas and earlier Avensis models?

It won't be so hard to find parts for it once I get moving next year. But I say that before a panel or mat is removed. It's currently undercover in the apartment car park awaiting some TLC.

Hopefully I'll have a garage/shed by next summer (fúck you covid for ruining that plan) and then we get to work. :)

njburke wrote: »
    Rover 75 Tourer, top spec with M47 engine and Jatco Auto box. I had 2 in their day.

I often wonder how things would have gone if BMW kept Rover under their belt. I think the 75 got a very unfair association with older people - the timber and oval dials didn't help the modern look but they were incredibly comfortable cars. They were the opposite of what BMWs were and I like a more comfort oriented car in my older age.
    It won't be so hard to find parts for it once I get moving next year. But I say that before a panel or mat is removed. It's currently undercover in the apartment car park awaiting some TLC.

Hopefully I'll have a garage/shed by next summer (fúck you covid for ruining that plan) and then we get to work. :)

Once restored I'd say it will be a beauty. One that will see most of us out. :pac:

And to spice things up on this thread

I miss exotic, performance cars like the Fiesta Mk 5.5 :pac:

maxresdefault.jpg

I admit I'm all nostalgic about this car. Bullet proof and this was before the designers went crazy with the design of the Fiesta. :pac:

• Registered Users Posts: 10,679 ✭✭✭✭martingriff

As a person in wheelchair that drives a reintroduction of the 3 door cars would be a godsend. They have a bigger door. Yes the highend cars and the Mini are there but thats it. The 3 door Hyundai 130 was great and you could swing a cat in them*.

*No cats were swung or harmed to make this comment

• Registered Users Posts: 22,234 ✭✭✭✭Akrasia

carbsy wrote: »
    Pug 205 GTi.

I was gonna say this. The 1.9 was awesome

094662600_1213799483.jpg

Gets better looking with age.
    What a car, great sound, loads of power and great grip until there wasn’t

Lovely bucket seats and not much else

Had a habit of wanting to go backwards around bends but the feel when you’re driving meant if it happened, it was most likely your own fault

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 9,499 ✭✭✭John_Rambo

This^^ Fiat need to revamp or reinvent the Ritmo with all the styling and without the problems. I can see them going electric with the model. It's perfect, sure all the electric car makers are basing their wheels on the original Ritmo rims.

John_Rambo wrote: »
    This^^ Fiat need to revamp or reinvent the Ritmo with all the styling and without the problems. I can see them going electric with the model. It's perfect, sure all the electric car makers are basing their wheels on the original Ritmo rims.

Absolutely.

Fiat are at their absolute best when they go quirky and off-piste. I say this as a lover of the Multipla (bug-eyed). I hate the facelift.

An electric Ritmo in the vein of the Honda e would be an absolute winner.

I say this as a lover of the Multipla (bug-eyed)

I never liked it but haven't driven one. I've seen quite a few people fall in love with them after getting behind the wheel.

• Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 60,071 Mod ✭✭✭✭Wibbs

Akrasia wrote: »
    I was gonna say this. The 1.9 was awesome
    Funny enough in my memory of driving them the 1.6 was the better, more balanced, less understeering one.

Rejoice in the awareness of feeling stupid, for that’s how you end up learning new things. If you’re not aware you’re stupid, you probably are.

• Registered Users Posts: 377 ✭✭Iodine1

Absolutely.

Fiat are at their absolute best when they go quirky and off-piste. I say this as a lover of the Multipla (bug-eyed). I hate the facelift.

An electric Ritmo in the vein of the Honda e would be an absolute winner.

Definitely, Fiats were a great driver especially when pushed on a bit. The rusting thing was overstated, as 70s cars in general, fords, chryslers, leylands and Japanese etc all rusted like hell too. Older 60s cars were much heavier and weren't so disposable.

• Registered Users Posts: 9,499 ✭✭✭John_Rambo

Wibbs wrote: »
    Funny enough in my memory of driving them the 1.6 was the better, more balanced, less understeering one.

I left my piddly 205 "style" in to be serviced and the only spare car available for me was a 205 GTI 1.6 that was the mechanics personal car. Couldn't believe my luck.

He handed the keys over to me in the same distrustful manner of Cameron Frye, Ferris Beuller's friend handing over the keys of the Ferrari 250 GT California Spyder to the valet in the movie. I think he slightly vomited and swallowed it.

• Registered Users Posts: 17,225 ✭✭✭✭gammygils

90's beauts - Mitubishi 3000GT & Nissan 200SX

i7dICjll.png

MNNOjEyl.jpg

• Registered Users Posts: 5,786 ✭✭✭Old diesel

Not really cars but...
    2.8td Daihatsu fourtrak
    Toyota land cruisers 95series or older
    Hilux gen6 or older
    3.1 trooper
    2.5td pajero
    Nissan patrol
    Pre pd tdi caddy
    Dturbo partner and expert
    Pre d4d hiace
    2.5 smiley transit
    2.4 transporter
    Pre d4d dyna

All the above with a galvanised chassis and rust resistant bodies.

Honest workhorses that can handle the toughest of conditions with simple legendarily reliable diesel engines that don't choke themselves to death if they don't see motorway driving.

Emission regulations have hammered this market segment.

Everytime I see the new Suzuki Jimny I can't help but wonder what the Fourtrack could have become.

If Daihatsu had evolved and improved the model with new generations of it.

Rather then just ditch it.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,786 ✭✭✭Old diesel

A modern version of the Saab 9000 would be fantastic too imo.

The Saab idea before GM influence came along was to produce a very well engineered car that was very safe and very well built for the era.

The Saab may well share a platform with the same era (late 80s/early 90s) Fiat Croma but Saab actually build stuff properly.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 3,888 ✭✭✭selectamatic

Old diesel wrote: »
    Everytime I see the new Suzuki Jimny I can't help but wonder what the Fourtrack could have become.

If Daihatsu had evolved and improved the model with new generations of it.

Rather then just ditch it.

They were a great yoke. Lovely proportions and just about the perfect size. neither too big nor too small.

Handy enough on diesel too. Still 2 of them on the go locally to me both owned for years and well cared for.

Advertisement