10-07-2020, 17:00   #541
zilog_jones

Send a message via MSN to zilog_jones
Black plates were still allowed up until 1987, I believe. There were a few plastic variations produced in the '80s, some with what looked like gold or bronze lettering.
Thanks from:
Advertisement
10-07-2020, 18:22   #542
kev1.3s

Quote:
Originally Posted by zilog_jones View Post
Black plates were still allowed up until 1987, I believe. There were a few plastic variations produced in the '80s, some with what looked like gold or bronze lettering.
Black with gold digits made up of lines.
Sorry to have completely derailed this thread which m is the best thread in here in quite some time
Thanks from:
10-07-2020, 18:29   #543
Type 17

Speaking of back on track, why the hell are we posting sample pics from the internet of period, pre-'74 black and silver plates when we have two perfect examples?

Quote:
Originally Posted by alfa beta View Post

Last edited by Type 17; 10-07-2020 at 18:32.
11-07-2020, 22:56   #544
alfa beta

Quote:
Originally Posted by kadman View Post
Here is what your type 3 should sound like, my maiden voyage today after a long resto,

now just small bits a and maybe a respray, or maybe not.

This looks (and sounds great) - I love the fastback shape - not really a fan of the squareback shape i must admit but i love this. (VW looked so much closer to Porsche back then, maybe that's what I like about this)

Well, we managed to move our VW today. It took hours as we only had an inch on each side (between the merc and the 504) and no way of getting to the tyres, or the steering wheel etc, so it was a slow process using some jacks and pulling it a few inches at a time. It's too dark to take photos now, but I'll get some tomorrow. It's in better nick than I thought so I'm quite happy with that. Seemed very solid when pulling it too.

My mum was delighted as she found some Horse Chestnuts in the glove compartment. She remembered picking them off a tree when herself and Dad broke down on their honeymoon and were waiting for the AA man to arrive - somewhere near Warrington I believe.

There's so much more to old cars than engines and chassis and body panels, isn't there? There are memories and secrets and character. Is that why we keep them?

On another note, we also brought this machine out into the daylight for the first time in a few years. Started like a dream on a newly charged battery, and drove perfectly. But then got stuck in third for some reason and now seems impossible to get back into neutral. Maybe someone here is familiar with old Ford 3000's and knows something I don't!

11-07-2020, 23:06   #545
Gaspode
Woof!

Quote:

My mum was delighted as she found some Horse Chestnuts in the glove compartment. She remembered picking them off a tree when herself and Dad broke down on their honeymoon and were waiting for the AA man to arrive - somewhere near Warrington I believe.

There's so much more to old cars than engines and chassis and body panels, isn't there?
What a lovely thing, this thread is the thread that just keeps giving!
Advertisement
11-07-2020, 23:27   #546
kadman

The squareback must hold a special place in your mums heart.
Maybe thats the one to keep. Get it running and drive it.
(4) thanks from:
12-07-2020, 00:02   #547
stock>

Quote:
On another note, we also brought this machine out into the daylight for the first time in a few years. Started like a dream on a newly charged battery, and drove perfectly. But then got stuck in third for some reason and now seems impossible to get back into neutral. Maybe someone here is familiar with old Ford 3000's and knows something I don't!

Lift the gear levers and align the two selectors rods, you will see the two squares and align them,then replace the gear levers with a bit of sealant. The gear levers wear as do the selectors and one slips out of the other so be gentle when changing gear..............................................................
13-07-2020, 10:35   #548
eddhorse

Send a message via ICQ to eddhorse
Quote:
Ive changed my mind, keep the squareback !!!
(4) thanks from:
13-07-2020, 10:55   #549
kadman

Mum might like to see the squareback everyday for the happy memories, then again she might not want to be reminded
of all the happy memories by seeing the car everyday.
Its a funny thing like that.

I remember similar circumstances in my own family. And it was too painful for some family members to be reminded
by all the items of the deceased member, so they were sold on. Its a very individual thing.

There is probably a long list of people who would love that car, me included.

But I still think you should hang on to it. Or at least let it go to someone who would put it back on the road.
Its probably worth more to break it for parts, which is a sad thing,than sell it as it is.
And that would be sacrilegious in my view to such a car.

It needs to be on the road and driving.
Advertisement
13-07-2020, 16:39   #550
spaceHopper

Whats under the tarm to the left of the merc?
13-07-2020, 17:20   #551
WildWater

Quote:
Originally Posted by spaceHopper View Post
At this rate, I'll be pretty disappointed if it's not a space shuttle.
13-07-2020, 17:36   #552
stock>

Quote:

DB5..............................................................
13-07-2020, 18:09   #553
forgottenhills

Quote:
Originally Posted by stock> View Post
DB5..............................................................
Or perhaps a DeLorean, driven once and parked up.
(2) thanks from:
13-07-2020, 19:52   #554
alfa beta

Quote:

Morris Eight (from 1940s)
(6) thanks from:
13-07-2020, 20:01   #555
alfa beta

Here are some photos of the VW Variant / Squareback now that it's emerged from its cocoon and can actually be seen from more angles than the rear.

Quick Reply
Bold
Italic
Underline

Insert Image
Wrap [QUOTE] tags around selected text

Decrease Size
Increase Size
Please sign up or log in to join the discussion