Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Please note that it is not permitted to have referral links posted in your signature. Keep these links contained in the appropriate forum. Thank you.

https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2055940817/signature-rules
Hi all,
Vanilla are planning an update to the site on April 24th (next Wednesday). It is a major PHP8 update which is expected to boost performance across the site. The site will be down from 7pm and it is expected to take about an hour to complete. We appreciate your patience during the update.
Thanks all.

This weeks Classic Irish bargains that I'm not buying

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 969 ✭✭✭Greybottle

elperello wrote: »
    It's genuine - https://www.motorcheck.ie/free-car-check/78rn600/

Just the 600th 78 car registered in Roscommon after the year first system came in.

I think that they started at 500. A lot of counties did that for some reason.

• Registered Users Posts: 463 ✭✭Testacalda

Greybottle wrote: »
    I think that they started at 500.
    Correct

• Registered Users Posts: 12,074 ✭✭✭✭Duke O Smiley

• Registered Users Posts: 64,703 ✭✭✭✭unkel

Love the BX, great colour and desirable 1.9 petrol / auto combo, but the outside needs quite a bit of money spending. And it hasn't had an NCT in many, many years. Asking price is silly.

And as for the Fiesta, seriously? :D

The BX is nice alright but the seller is totally and utterly off the mark with the price. I was actually going to buy it last year when it was a lot cheaper.

The Fiesta, I share your sentiments

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 548 ✭✭✭pawdee

Breaks my heart to see the BX in that state. I owned that car for about 10 years. I was the second owner. I sold it about 4 years ago for 300 euros. I had it in storage but for various reasons I had to let it go. The guy who who bought it said he'd give me first refusal if he was ever selling it. Sadly, the next time I saw it was on DoneDeal with sh*tty steel wheels and lots of dents. It had lovely original alloys when I had it. Kind of like pepper pot but not exactly. It was my daily driver for many years. I'd love to have it back and to restore it properly. Rare car now. Jesus those wheel covers make me want to vomit! I once posted a lovely pic of it on the BX Club UK website. Maybe it's still there. Anyway, I wish the next owner all the best and if the seller can get 2750 for it fair play to him!

• Registered Users Posts: 14,190 ✭✭✭✭elperello

Greybottle wrote: »
    I think that they started at 500. A lot of counties did that for some reason.

I never knew that.

It's a mystery how the minds of some local authorities work.

Something like -
    "Here's something people might like (nice low numbers) let's put a stop to it".

I have a 56 ** 1 plate myself.

These wheels!

8BUp21m.png

These wheels!

8BUp21m.png

The very ones! How I miss that car.

pawdee wrote: »
    The very ones! How I miss that car.

citr (1).jpg

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 14,190 ✭✭✭✭elperello

Go and see it.
    You might be able to make a deal.
    You'll always regret it if you don't:)

elperello wrote: »
    Go and see it.
    You might be able to make a deal.
    You'll always regret it if you don't:)

Even if he knocked 2k off I couldn't afford it at the moment! :(

• Registered Users Posts: 64,703 ✭✭✭✭unkel

He'll never get an offer of anywhere near his asking price. Wait it out for a few months. Save as much money as you can. And then get your baby back :)

How much did you sell it for if you don't mind me asking?

• Registered Users Posts: 125 ✭✭Farmer Bob

I'd love to know how people come up with prices for cars sometimes! Seriously the mind boggles

I’m sure I saw that BX on Donedeal last year for 750 or something like that...

All this guys done is stick those awful wheels on and add two grand to the price.

Farmer Bob wrote: »
    I’m sure I saw that BX on Donedeal last year for 750 or something like that...

All this guys done is stick those awful wheels on and add two grand to the price.

The old ad can still be found on Adverts.ie

The old ad can still be found on Adverts.ie
    Car comes with almost €1000 worth of spare parts, windscreen, lights,
    2 front wings, seats, engine parts,...

I don’t see a grand’s worth of parts in that ad, but for 2750 he could at least install the two front wings, spray them the right colour and slap an NCT on it.

Dreamer.

unkel wrote: »
    And as for the Fiesta, seriously? :D

Dunno about that. I’m sure I read people on a UK forum recently complaining that prices for doors, bonnets, etc for this model of Fiesta are through the roof - they’ve all dissolved over there now so anybody doing a restoration is stuck

unkel wrote: »
    He'll never get an offer of anywhere near his asking price. Wait it out for a few months. Save as much money as you can. And then get your baby back :)

How much did you sell it for if you don't mind me asking?

I had to let it go for 300 euros. If I had somewhere to store it I'd have kept it. It was an original Irish car ordered new by a guy in Listowel. I bought it around 2003 for 650 euros if I remember correctly. I had the spheres replaced, resprayed the roof and bonnet (couldn't afford full respray at time) and had to do very little else to it. It was a beautiful comfortable car to drive and it embarrassed the living shyte out of my kids when I dropped them off to school in it during the boom.

I know a guy who paid 100k plus in 2007 for a 'premium SUV'. He thought I was nuts to be driving an 89 BX and that it was the ugliest car he'd ever seen. He's still driving his yoke but it's dropped 90k in value. He's also paid about 12k in motor tax over the period. In the meantime the BX appears to have quadrupled in value and next year will only be 56 euros a year to tax :)

• Registered Users Posts: 1,783 ✭✭✭rugbyman

I enjoyed the last few post re the BX. i have noted lately that cats that were for low prices are mostly scrapped,and those remaining are creeping up in price.

I put my BX 1.9 gti(believe it or not , one of the reasons i bought it ,for 500 punts ,was because i used fancy the previous owner)inj mt shed, it had been vandalised on the street, and built shelves over 13 years ago. cats were living in iot .

i dont know where it is on my project list, but I recentyly met the citroen restorer man in Kingscourt, hymm, maybe

am i mad, without a doubt

Old Citroens are worth buttons relatively speaking, even when in tip-top condition; and I say that having owned a lot of them. Definitely not the kind of car you can leave maintenance slide...

This guy with the blue BX is mental. The cars a wreck, it's filthy inside and there's no NCT. It'll spend a year on Donedeal, with the price going down gradually, and by the time the price gets down to €200 nobody will want it. Look at the other BX on Done deal just now, the TZD in Fermoy. I was on to the seller maybe two years ago now - the price was in four figures as well, but I couldn't get a straight answer out of him about anything to do with spheres, hydraulics, timing belt, NCT, anything... Made him an offer on the basis that it was a basket case, a scrapper. He's still got it today and the price now is what it was worth in 2015.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,330 ✭✭✭80sDiesel

Renault Velsatis
    Not sure it will be a "future classic" but cant fault him on the price. 350 euros.
    NDkwODM2ODgxMWVmZTIxODdlNjRkN2JiYWE4MmE5MmHRjicLsET3vmCO61CywswaaHR0cDovL3MzLWV1LXdlc3QtMS5hbWF6b25hd3MuY29tL2RvbmVkZWFsLmllLXBob3Rvcy9waG90b185MzY4OTUxM3x8fDYwMHg2MDB8fHx8fHx8fA==.jpeg

A man is rich in proportion to the number of things which he can afford to let alone.

• Registered Users Posts: 28,076 ✭✭✭✭drunkmonkey

80sDiesel wrote: »
    Renault Velsatis
    Not sure it will be a "future classic" but cant fault him on the price. 350 euros.
    NDkwODM2ODgxMWVmZTIxODdlNjRkN2JiYWE4MmE5MmHRjicLsET3vmCO61CywswaaHR0cDovL3MzLWV1LXdlc3QtMS5hbWF6b25hd3MuY29tL2RvbmVkZWFsLmllLXBob3Rvcy9waG90b185MzY4OTUxM3x8fDYwMHg2MDB8fHx8fHx8fA==.jpeg

Reluctant sale by the sounds of it. Poor chap.

80sDiesel wrote: »
    Renault Velsatis

I'm conflicted about this one. Renault were making some bonkers cars back in the early 00s like this and the Avantime.

I'd like to smoke around in one of these for a few months til the tax ran out, but I've owned an Espace of a similar age and I just know it would be a total money pit. Not to mention the €710/year road tax and fuel economy is probably under 20mpg

Probably will be a future classic as they sold just over 1000 of these in RHD and there aren't many working ones left...

• Registered Users Posts: 21,065 ✭✭✭✭Odyssey 2005

Didn't one of Dublands lord Mayors swan around in one of those Renaults many moon ago. Like a sitting room they are ..

Vel Satis is a bona fide future classic

One problem is once you get down to the €350 examples they're shagged, and one minor problem away from being fragged and turned into washing machines.

Conversely nobody would pay, for argument's sake, €2000 for a mint one with no issues and a year's NCT... So you can't win.

• Registered Users Posts: 28,076 ✭✭✭✭drunkmonkey

Didn't one of Dublands lord Mayors swan around in one of those Renaults many moon ago. Like a sitting room they are ..

Yea I was in it, landed in a garage I used to work in..it was the second owner had it at that stage if I remember right don't think they reached a deal on it. Probably about 2004/2005.

Bill Cullen offered a Vel Satis free of charge in 2004, and then again in 05 and 06 & an Espace in 07. That really stung for Volvo who had supplied nearly all of the previous cars

• Registered Users Posts: 1,081 ✭✭✭flatty

Rare, certainly. I'm not so sure about "classic".

• Advertisement

flatty wrote: »
    Rare, certainly. I'm not so sure about "classic".

Well not yet, no, but it will be

Advertisement