Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Eir rural FTTH thread III

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 14,983 ✭✭✭✭tuxy

limnam wrote: »
    Sorry, didn't see that previously suggested.

No worries, it's from another thread I didn't expect many had seen it that's why I posted it.

• Registered Users Posts: 36 Eoin3

tuxy wrote: »
    You might have a chance in that case, I believe the official max overhead distance is 50 metres. My overhead install looks like it's closer to 60 though. If you can go for a overhead install and they are willing to put the distance down as 50 when it is really 60 the point could be made that your house should have been included on the official list.
    I'd say there is a big difference between convincing them to slightly extending a drop cable and convincing them to extend the network.
    Still sounds like it takes a lot of work though, hope it works out for you.
    In our scenario, from where fibre/DP is we have a pole that goes half way to the house, so let's say 45 meters, and then 45 meters of underground ducting.
    Is it that they don't want to do anything over 50 meters, or is it just anything over 50 meters overhead?

It's not a technical limitation of the fibre, they just don't want to do it?

In the interest of safety with how much a line can sag officially they don't do overhead installs over 50m. Drop lines can be much longer underground and work perfectly.
    When I got my install the guy who called out just wanted to get it done so overlooked the fact that it was slightly too far for an overhead install.

I've no idea if that info is of any use to you. Getting you address added to the official list will be a real challenge but you already know that.

• Registered Users Posts: 36 Eoin3

Also, would it be feasible to manually run fibre from the house to within a few meters of the pole, ring up and say "there you go, hook us up"?

Eoin3 wrote: »
    Also, would it be feasible to manually run fibre from the house to within a few meters of the pole, ring up and say "there you go, hook us up"?

Not possible without your address being added to the list first. You can let them know you are prepared to do work on your own land at your own expense when making your case.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 787 ✭✭✭babi-hrse

They're just told not to run it longer however they'll do it anyway it's just if it's going across a road with trucks every cm of slack can be a foot of sag in the middle and it's not always easy to pull in all the slack

• Registered Users Posts: 53,758 ✭✭✭✭Headshot

So happy rang Eir and Airwire were spot on, FFTH is available 20/11/2019

Site survey arranged next week with Eir

• Registered Users Posts: 13,981 ✭✭✭✭Johnboy1951

Headshot wrote: »
    So happy rang Eir and Airwire were spot on, FFTH is available 20/11/2019

Site survey arranged next week with Eir

What is the attraction for you that you choose Eir, rather than Airwire, Digiweb, or one of the other providers?

..... just curious .... ;)

What is the attraction for you that you choose Eir, rather than Airwire, Digiweb, or one of the other providers?

The household regularly watch Eir Sports tv and uses the landline alot

So it's the package deal

• Registered Users Posts: 19,543 ✭✭✭✭cnocbui

I am not out to disparage Airwire, but I have been with them less than a month and there have been two outages in under ten days of 7-8 hours of downtime. In an entire year with Eir I had 1.5 hours of downtime in one outage, so credit where credit is due.

• Advertisement
  • Company Representative Posts: 668 ✭✭✭Airwire: MartinL

cnocbui wrote: »
    I am not out to disparage Airwire, but I have been with them less than a month and there have been two outages in under ten days of 7-8 hours of downtime. In an entire year with Eir I had 1.5 hours of downtime in one outage, so credit where credit is due.

I am unsure, how you arrived at 2 outages of 7-8 hours.

There was a firmware upgrade on one of our routers on 8.11., that may have affected you. It affected a few of our FTTH customers, but not many. That lasted about 1 1/2 hours. From 00:30 to 01:46.

Yesterdays outage was fairly severe, for those that were affected. But we did have it sorted at 11:10 yesterday morning.

If you have been out longer than that, then there may be something else amiss and it would be worth contacting our support and look at router logs, to narrow that down.

• Registered Users Posts: 19,543 ✭✭✭✭cnocbui

1:30 hour for the first instance and it was out for me in the latest from 04:30 to 11:20, roughly, so I think that's about 8:20 in total.

I am not knocking Airwire, obviously the latest incident was a one-off and your response time to technical queries is simply extraordinary. I'm not unhappy, I was just trying to give Eir their dues, they almost managed a whole year without downtime.

1:30 hour for the first instance and it was out for me in the latest from 04:30 to 11:20, roughly, so I think that's about 8:20 in total.

That makes more sense. Your wording sounded, like it was 7-8 hours in each instance.

I had no downtime at all during the previous year with Eir.

I also had no confidence that if there was a problem, such as Airwire suffered the other day, they would have me back on line quickly.
    Hence I changed provider.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,017 ✭✭✭ Ameer Howling Baritone

Q3 2019 figures have been published by DCCAE. 7084 premises passed plus they have included 40472 extra premises that open eir added. 10032 premises remain.

https://www.dccae.gov.ie/en-ie/communications/topics/Broadband/national-broadband-plan/commercial-investment/Pages/Rural-Deployment-Progress.aspx

Guys I currently have a static IP on my DSL link, just curious to know how will that work when upgrading to Fibre, will it disappear? (no big deal tbh)

Guys I currently have a static IP on my DSL link, just curious to know how will that work when upgrading to Fibre, will it disappear? (no big deal tbh)

With eir it's not static but my IP hasn't changed in two years. I assume you're not paying for a static address.

Depends on your provider ...... some offer static IPs FOC.

With eir it's not static but my IP hasn't changed in two years. I assume you're not paying for a static address.

Yup I paid for a static IP from eir on my DSL link

I'm just curious to know will that carry across to the fibre connection or not

Yup I paid for a static IP from eir on my DSL link

I'm just curious to know will that carry across to the fibre connection or not

I doubt it. How much is it? Depending on cost you might not need it.

• Advertisement

I doubt it. How much is it? Depending on cost you might not need it.

Was a once off payment of 50 euro.

I don't need it anymore, i was just curious :)

Was a once off payment of 50 euro.

I don't need it anymore, i was just curious :)

As I said, the address rarely, if ever, changes so save your 50!

Fixed IP ( Has to be requested ) Free

http://www.airwire.ie/index.php/products/ruralftth

In addition DynDNS can be used in the router to maintain a fixed address with a varying IP if required.

We have updated the database for OpenEIR FTTC/FTTH today.

It can be found at https://www.airwire.ie/avail

• Registered Users Posts: 140 ✭✭limktime

"Available soon" after chasing this for over a year! I'll take it.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,099 ✭✭✭John mac

Connected today .. :):)
    went with Westnet , 300,
    although its at 150 now , waiting for person to change profile ..

took about an hour.

363754.JPG

only 4 years after saying it was going to be available

..:D:D

• Registered Users Posts: 944 ✭✭✭daraghwal

I think this was covered before but I can't find it in the thread. Despite wanting FTTH and phone at a new build house, openeir are saying (installing today) they have to put a phoneline in first even though the customer would be perfectly happy with VOIP and the order email says it is supposed to be a fibre install? Is this true or why would this be happening?

• Registered Users Posts: 14,555 ✭✭✭✭Marlow

daraghwal wrote: »
    I think this was covered before but I can't find it in the thread. Despite wanting FTTH and phone at a new build house, openeir are saying (installing today) they have to put a phoneline in first even though the customer would be perfectly happy with VOIP and the order email says it is supposed to be a fibre install? Is this true or why would this be happening?

Not true. Complete nonsense actually.

The issue with a new house is, that it won't get FTTH until it has an Eircode. And even then you have to wait for OpenEIR to pick up on the fact, that it has an Eircode and that it is within the rollout.

The phone line has nothing to do with it and will also not improve your odds of getting FTTH.

/M

Marlow wrote: »
    Not true. Complete nonsense actually.

The issue with a new house is, that it won't get FTTH until it has an Eircode. And even then you have to wait for OpenEIR to pick up on the fact, that it has an Eircode and that it is within the rollout.

The phone line has nothing to do with it and will also not improve your odds of getting FTTH.

/M

That's what I was thinking. The owner originally ordered phone last week. That install didn't happen as the eircode was added to FTTH list during the week and ordered FTTH through eir. Phone install was cancelled. Now they came back today and instead of installing FTTH like the eir email said, they have installed the phone...

• Advertisement

When they sort this out and FTTH is installed. Will the phone work through VOIP and the POTS phoneline or what way does that work? I suppose what I really want to know is can they go and take out that phone line when they come and put in the fibre.

Advertisement