Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all,
Vanilla are planning an update to the site on April 24th (next Wednesday). It is a major PHP8 update which is expected to boost performance across the site. The site will be down from 7pm and it is expected to take about an hour to complete. We appreciate your patience during the update.
Thanks all.

Eir rural FTTH thread III

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 19,678 ✭✭✭✭cnocbui

rob808 wrote: »
    Hi could you even get a nat type on your xbox had no problems with ps4.Do you have the frizbox 7530.

I don't understand the nat question. It couldn't see a WiFi network that other devices could. Yes, I have a fritzbox 7530, but it's done this with F2000 and TP-Link as well.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,311 ✭✭✭rob808

cnocbui wrote: »
    I don't understand the nat question. It couldn't see a WiFi network that other devices could. Yes, I have a fritzbox 7530, but it's done this with F2000 and TP-Link as well.
    what nat type do you have on the xbox cant seem to get one.It a shame fritzbox doesn't have upnp.

• Registered Users Posts: 9,152 ✭✭✭limnam

t a shame fritzbox doesn't have upnp.

It does

• Registered Users Posts: 14,555 ✭✭✭✭Marlow

UPnP works perfectly on the Fritz!Box. No hassle there.

/M

what nat type do you have on the xbox cant seem to get one.It a shame fritzbox doesn't have upnp.

The NAT type is unavailable, but it isn't relevant to the issue, particularly as I don't do multiplayer. The isssue is the Xbox not seeing wireless networks to even be able to log onto them.

• Advertisement

Ok, my son has sorted the NAT problem. The Xbox seems to use something called Teredo, which is an IPV6 tunneling protocol. Fritzbox specifically block Teredo. Even if you specifically open the Teredo port 3544 UDP, it remains closed unless you uncheck the specific Teredo toggle in the settings.

He also opened ports 4500 UDP, 344 UDP and 3074 UDP/TCP

Now my Xbox reports NAT is open and doesn't go into a checking NAT ad infinitum mode.

I don't think this has any relevance to tseeing WiFi networks, but at least now my Xbox might be able to see Microsoft services more readily.

There may be another problem with IPV6, but I'll leave that for now.

• Registered Users Posts: 14,555 ✭✭✭✭Marlow

Terredo is an old IPv6 tunneling protocol used, when your internet provider does not offer IPv6.

Airwire, being one of the first ISPs in Ireland to offer IPv6 natively to their end customers already since 2008, actually used to run both Terredo and 6in4 gateways and were broadcasting them on INEX. But they have long been shut down, as it causes more problems, than it solves.

If your ISP does support native IPv6, you should be using that instead. Terredo is an evil hack. It was actually developed by Microsoft and nobody else uses it. One of the reasons, why the Fritz!Box filters it.

/M

• Registered Users Posts: 173 ✭✭Supertoucher

So on a positive note, my journey ends. Was travelling on business in the UK and took a frustrating call from the ISP about "rebooking an appointment" but I hadn't booked an appointment so hadn't a clue what they were on about. So after calling them back, they couldn't tell me what the appointment was for, and I didn't particularly want anyone coming out if there had been no progress in fixing my "blocked duct issue" as it would waste and engineers time and mine too. They couldn't tell me anything and we weren't getting anywhere after going back and forth for 10/15 mins, so in the end I just opted to rebook an appointment for this thursday just gone (14th), and have my wife let them in etc.

However before the scheduled time could occur, the original engineer (great guy who part completed the initial install) called me personally on my mobile (we had exchanged numbers on the first visit in order to call him when the issue became resolved) and said he was doing another install in my lane, confirmed the issue was fixed, and asked if he could pop in and fit the ONT/ODP and the router. So rang my wife and he did so, and whereas I returned too late on Weds night to do anything with it, I tested it last night and all appears to be well, and thankfully in advance of the 14th December date I was given. So great news all in all. I'll still hang around the threads but just in case anyone is interested in my full timeline:

Updated timeline:

fibrerollout.ie and schedule say install should be ready for order in "Winter 2018"

Mid-July 2019 - availability checkers says FTTH available on 07/08/2019

07/08/2019 - Order placed via ISP

12/08/2019 - KN Group engineer attends, completes last leg of termination and is unable to complete install due to no light at the DP

15/08/2019 - ISP confirms that estimated date for resolution is 29/09/2019 but may be completed sooner

30/08/2019 - SMS received saying estimated date of completion is delayed to 03/12/2019

01/10/2019 - Ring ISP for status update to find out they've cancelled my order without telling me. Say they will investigate and call me the next day.

02/10/2019 - Order re-placed. Insist on sending Engineer despite the stated issues and pre-advised resolution dates.

07/10/2019 - Engineer attends, still no light at DP, logs the visit as failed and leaves.

09/10/2019 - SMS received from ISP - Estimated resolution further delayed to 14th December.

05/11/2019 - Two OpenEir vans spotted in the lane by my wife, but no update

07/11/2019 - ISP calls to re-book appointment - engineer appointment booked for Thurs 14th November

12/11/2019 - First KN engineer calls to say he's in the area, the issue is fixed, and asks if he can complete the install. He does and leaves.

14/11/2019 - I return and confirm all is working!

• Registered Users Posts: 13,990 ✭✭✭✭Johnboy1951

It is good to know that the original helful installer got to finish the install and thus get the benefit of his initial work.

;)

Marlow wrote: »
    Terredo is an old IPv6 tunneling protocol used, when your internet provider does not offer IPv6.

Airwire, being one of the first ISPs in Ireland to offer IPv6 natively to their end customers already since 2008, actually used to run both Terredo and 6in4 gateways and were broadcasting them on INEX. But they have long been shut down, as it causes more problems, than it solves.

If your ISP does support native IPv6, you should be using that instead. Terredo is an evil hack. It was actually developed by Microsoft and nobody else uses it. One of the reasons, why the Fritz!Box filters it.

/M

I'm with Airwire. It's not like I had a choice, the Xbox wanted Teredo because there wasn't iPv6. After some assistance from Airwire, it might now be available.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 173 ✭✭Supertoucher

It is good to know that the original helful installer got to finish the install and thus get the benefit of his initial work.

;)

Agreed, and he was such a nice accommodating chap as well, so i'll be getting on to KN to let them know that.

• Registered Users Posts: 11,714 ✭✭✭✭Andy From Sligo

many thanks everyone for your advice - next time my pavilion G6 laptop does not show the fritz box SSID I shall try a couple of them suggestions.

Thats interesting about the power saving maybe turning off the broadcasting SSID throughout the night I hadnt thought about that. That indeed could be a factor. I must look in the routers help pages and see if it can be turned off.

and i shall look into seeing if some other device is walking over the fritzbox wifi signal maybe the neighbours wifi is, although i do have the wifi channels on automatic on the fritz box

Anyone any issues on Airwire?

Net seems to be down since 1 am last night

• Registered Users Posts: 2,659 ✭✭✭Darwin

Yes my Airwire broadband is down this morning, since about 4.20am according to my network camera. They tweeted about a fault on one of their carrier circuits between Galway and Dublin, so perhaps that fault is still ongoing. Their website is down too.

Darwin wrote: »
    Yes my Airwire broadband is down this morning, since about 4.20am according to my network camera. They tweeted about a fault on one of their carrier circuits between Galway and Dublin, so perhaps that fault is still ongoing. Their website is down too.

Yeah, just noticed the tweet now.

From the tweet it sounds like everything was stabilizing.

I have lost broadband and VOIP phone and using this mobile broadband connection cannot get to the airwire site.

That too seems to be down.

Would appreciate any links available to info .......

I have lost broadband and VOIP phone and using this mobile broadband connection cannot get to the airwire site.

That too seems to be down.

Would appreciate any links available to info .......

This is the only info I've seen

limnam wrote: »

Thanks ...... it seems whatever happened between 1.30 and 4.30 the problem has spread.

I was lucky to have been experimenting with a borrowed Gomo SIM the last couple of days otherwise I would have no phone (VOIP), nor broadband.
    Connected now on borrowed SIM.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,596 ✭✭✭THE ALM

All down here as well, thought it was a faulty cable somewhere at first so up to the attic I went...

• Advertisement

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,017 ✭✭✭tsue921i8wljb3

You're in the wrong thread and the topic has been done to death in the NBP thread already.

Edit: poster has since deleted a post about SpaceX LEO as part of the NBP.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,128 ✭✭✭dellas1979

Anyone have fiber rolled out near them (in my case, less than 100 meters away the last house has fiber) and successfully got it installed on persistence?

Who does one contact?

Edit: It looks like an Eir pole might need to be moved also, due to a sight line issue (blocking line of site on exit).

• Closed Accounts Posts: 14,983 ✭✭✭✭tuxy

dellas1979 wrote: »
    Anyone have fiber rolled out near them (in my case, less than 100 meters away the last house has fiber) and successfully got it installed on persistence?

Who does one contact?

Edit: It looks like an Eir pole might need to be moved also, due to a sight line issue (blocking line of site on exit).

I know you have another separate thread and it's fair enough to ask again as this thread may give your question more exposure.
    We are on thread #3 so well of 20,000 posts on rural FTTH with Eir.

I check this thread every day but don't read every post and I have never heard anyone convince Open Eir to expand to accommodate them.
    There are people on here who have read every post so far and people who even work for ISPs who provide FTTH and I don't believe they have ever seen it happen either.+

I completely understand the frustration but you can't force a private company to supply you with a service.

• Registered Users Posts: 787 ✭✭✭babi-hrse

There was one person who asked that question about 6months back after being told not likely he posted a week later got sorted. Never heard if he actually got sorted for real as he never came back.
    High is the possibility the ISP said yes we can get you fibre and placed an order for VDSL that would not reach him. This is a daily occourance

• Registered Users Posts: 36 Eoin3

Who does one contact?

Currently in the process of trying to get it. Hopefully will make some progress with things in the next couple of weeks. Will report back here whether things go successfully or not.

We've contacted various people at this stage. Department, county council, Eir engineers, staff in the providers shops, sales people in the vicinity etc.

In our scenario the fibre is available at the pole, which is about 60 meters as the crow flies. Probably about 90 meters actual length as our existing duct/pole doesn't go direct.

Your eircode isn't on the list I take it?

You might have a chance in that case, I believe the official max overhead distance is 50 metres. My overhead install looks like it's closer to 60 though. If you can go for a overhead install and they are willing to put the distance down as 50 when it is really 60 the point could be made that your house should have been included on the official list.
    I'd say there is a big difference between convincing them to slightly extending a drop cable and convincing them to extend the network.
    Still sounds like it takes a lot of work though, hope it works out for you.

Who does one contact?

Why don't you have a chat with the house that has it and look at splitting the bill and put up a dish and share it?

limnam wrote: »
    Why don't you have a chat with the house that has it and look at splitting the bill and put up a dish and share it?
    ED E wrote: »
    With family members is not a huge problem if done with a P2P link. Don't run copper between RCBOs.

It'd be wireless, just two nanostations on a pole on either chimney.

There is nobody to contact. The rollout is the rollout until NBP in several years time.
    Ok I wont be doing anything like that.

• Advertisement

Sorry, didn't see that previously suggested.

Advertisement