Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all,
Vanilla are planning an update to the site on April 24th (next Wednesday). It is a major PHP8 update which is expected to boost performance across the site. The site will be down from 7pm and it is expected to take about an hour to complete. We appreciate your patience during the update.
Thanks all.

Tullamore Thread

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 2,466 ✭✭✭bennyineire

akelly02 wrote: »
    theres already two centras so thats plenty, supervalu would have a better choice than spar
    It's too small for a SuperValu so it's a mute point. It'll be a convinece size shop with an off-license

• Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 7,190 Mod ✭✭✭✭charlieIRL

Its definitely not supervalu ;)

• Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 18,125 Mod ✭✭✭✭DM_7

Sorry to go back to this
    Yep that's the one used to be called Kearney's field I belive, had head something about the Moorehill, awful shame about that place thanks to that gangster from Edenderry. Hopefully true, what did you hear about it

You mean from Rhode!

• Registered Users Posts: 15,555 ✭✭✭✭AMKC
    Ms

Any word on when Heatons/Sportsworld is reopening ?

Well they really ruined that shop. There is nothing in the Heatons now thats its relocated to upstairs and even with there 70 per cent of deals it was still terrible. I much preferred the way it was before. I got a nice pair of wedge sneakers only problem being they are a size too big. There is only so many trainers and sportswear you can look at before it gets boring and yet Sportsworld is downstairs with more room than it needs.
    I wouldn't be surprised if that Texas areas crawling with rats. You've Texas old Tesco and debruns all there falling asunder. Junkies in around the area and just a general unpleasant vibe. I used to park in there but never felt safe even during the day. Was sitting in my car there one evening before Xmas getting ready to go down to boots when some young fella tried open the door of my car, thankfully it was locked. He gestured to let down the window and I wouldn't then he shouted in did I have a lighter? Cut the heart out of me

Thats terrible Lexie. Good to hear that you had the car locked that he did not get to do any harm and your ok.
    The Asian Street Food chain Lana are opening in town so I'm presuming they will go into the Paddy Field.

Pan-Thai might aswell pack up now because Lana is top notch. And very reasonable.

Thats harsh maybe you could say something like Pan-Thai are going to have to up there standards if they want to keep there customers. Then maybe they have customers that are very happy going there and don,t like Lana.
    I'm devastated where am I gonna get 4 vodkas for a tenner on a Sunday afternoon now

You must have a very srtong stomach women I would be out of it on 1.
    charlieIRL wrote: »
    Its definitely not supervalu ;)

Awe thats a pity. It would be great to have a SuperValue in Tullamore. Is there anywhere one could open in the town?

Live long and Prosper

Peace and long life.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,710 ✭✭✭Joeseph Balls

AMKC wrote: »
    Well they really ruined that shop. There is nothing in the Heatons now thats its relocated to upstairs and even with there 70 per cent of deals it was still terrible. I much preferred the way it was before. I got a nice pair of wedge sneakers only problem being they are a size too big. There is only so many trainers and sportswear you can look at before it gets boring and yet Sportsworld is downstairs with more room than it needs.

Thats terrible Lexie. Good to hear that you had the car locked that he did not get to do any harm and your ok.

Thats harsh maybe you could say something like Pan-Thai are going to have to up there standards if they want to keep there customers. Then maybe they have customers that are very happy going there and don,t like Lana.

You must have a very srtong stomach women I would be out of it on 1.

Awe thats a pity. It would be great to have a SuperValue in Tullamore. Is there anywhere one could open in the town?

're supervalu, Leavys and scallys might have a problem. They're all owned by musgraves arnt they?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 966 ✭✭✭medoc

Mena Mitty wrote: »
    When's the Tullamore Community radio going on air does anybody know ?

They have taken over the old Midlands 103 studios in The Mall. They seem to be a serious outfit. Hope all works out for the people involved. Could be great for the town. They are aiming for this winter to be on air.

're supervalu, Leavys and scallys might have a problem. They're all owned by musgraves arnt they?

Maybe an expanded Scallys turned into a SuperValu located in a mini town centre at their present location. Land behind the shop available to allow redevelopment. A pub, maybe a takeaway, hairdressers etc. With all the current houses in that part of town and all those planned it might be possible.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 23,646 ✭✭✭✭qo2cj1dsne8y4k

medoc wrote: »
    Maybe an expanded Scallys turned into a SuperValu located in a mini town centre at their present location. Land behind the shop available to allow redevelopment. A pub, maybe a takeaway, hairdressers etc. With all the current houses in that part of town and all those planned it might be possible.
    As a very local resident I'd love this, something to similar to kilminchy? Like a little village

As a very local resident I'd love this, something to similar to kilminchy? Like a little village

Not familiar with that location. But yes sort of a little commercial neighbourhood centre. There must be hundreds of house in that part of town. With many more to come.

• Registered Users Posts: 11,469 ✭✭✭✭For Forks Sake

Not familiar with that location. But yes sort of a little commercial neighbourhood centre. There must be hundreds of house in that part of town. With many more to come.

It's a development on the edge of Portlaoise

• Advertisement

Been to pan Thai twice and lunch in Lana once. The staff in both are lovely, but service in pan Thai was hands down much better, the food had a slight edge on Lana too. Ordered prawn crackers (extra in Lana) a starter and Main waited just shy of 30 mins when tables who'd ordered after received before me. I asksdnamd the fuel came but a back with it all together. The mains were cold too so I assume they were there for a while.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,378 ✭✭✭Cherrycola

Been to pan Thai twice and lunch in Lana once. The staff in both are lovely, but service in pan Thai was hands down much better, the food had a slight edge on Lana too. Ordered prawn crackers (extra in Lana) a starter and Main waited just shy of 30 mins when tables who'd ordered after received before me. I asksdnamd the fuel came but a back with it all together. The mains were cold too so I assume they were there for a while.

I've only had takeaway from both, bearing in mind Lana was only just opened, but I prefer Pan Thai. Ordered the same dish in both, pad Thai, and Lanas offering was just too salty, with very little flavour otherwise. Pan thai is much fresher tasting with levels of flavour, and free prawn crackers!

But I'll try a few more dishes from Lana before I make my mind up. I really hope they don't push Pan Thai out though.

Yep that's the one used to be called Kearney's field I belive, had head something about the Moorehill, awful shame about that place thanks to that gangster from Edenderry. Hopefully true, what did you hear about it

Kearneys field went for €3.25 million last week.

Kearneys field went for €3.25 million last week.
    20 Acres too, not a bad price. Current planning laws allow 10 house per acre so 250 house works out at €13K per house for the site.

Great location for housing could also support some apartments too I'd imagine.

Looks like it was used as a racetrack over the years!!:)

422827.JPG
    422828.JPG

• Registered Users Posts: 5,934 ✭✭✭Mena Mitty

Looks like it was used as a racetrack over the years!!:)

422827.JPG
    422828.JPG

There was a race track years ago half way between Tullamore and Clara, I remember hearing about it and reading about it in the book about Kilbeggan Racecourse. Think there was also a wooden platform on the railwayline near Ballykilmurray where people got off the train to get to the races.

There was a race track years ago half way between Tullamore and Clara, I remember hearing about it and reading about it in the book about Kilbeggan Racecourse. Think there was also a wooden platform on the railwayline near Ballykilmurray where people got off the train to get to the races.

I never knew that till I read your post. It appears that it was also one of the early locations for Tullamore Golf Course too. Fascinating.

Where's ballykilmurray

Where's ballykilmurray

Do you know where Esker Hills Golfcourse is. It's there. A few miles out along the Clara road take a left turn by the car sales. Or take the Rahan road out of town and turn right.

I never knew that till I read your post. It appears that it was also one of the early locations for Tullamore Golf Course too. Fascinating.

I didn't know that. Thanks.

• Advertisement

I remember that alright, was just outside Clara on the LHS as you head to Tullamore. Started off as banger racing in a field and grew bigger and bigger before it was stopped. Was up the narrow road just outside town.

I see they are renovating the cinema in the Bridge Centre. It had become a bit run down lately. The shop and tickets have moved downstairs to the old original ticket office. One of the lads told me they are adding an extra screen. Hopefully they fix the broken seats that are in screen 2 for ages while they are at it.

And warm the place up!!

I remember that alright, was just outside Clara on the LHS as you head to Tullamore. Started off as banger racing in a field and grew bigger and bigger before it was stopped. Was up the narrow road just outside town.

I think you're talking about the stock car racing/banger racing/demolition derby of about 25 years ago. As a spectator there were some great days over in Kilmucklin....great name for a track.

I was talking of a racehorse track that was near Ballykilmurray over a hundred yesrs ago.

I think you're talking about the stock car racing/banger racing/demolition derby of about 25 years ago. As a spectator there were some great days over in Kilmucklin....great name for a track.

I was talking of a racehorse track that was near Ballykilmurray over a hundred yesrs ago.

Ahh right, apologies.

Best Pizza in Tullamore, just wondering what peps think.

I quite like Nino's myself but I haven't had pizza in a lot of places for a few years so I'm interested to know if there are good spots

• Registered Users Posts: 11,624 ✭✭✭✭meeeeh

Balcone maybe. I don't think there are many decent pizza places in Tullamore.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,133 ✭✭✭akelly02

I see they are renovating the cinema in the Bridge Centre. It had become a bit run down lately. The shop and tickets have moved downstairs to the old original ticket office. One of the lads told me they are adding an extra screen. Hopefully they fix the broken seats that are in screen 2 for ages while they are at it.

fixing seats constantly due to knackers being knackers every Wednesday (cinema deal night)

• Registered Users Posts: 888 ✭✭✭fmpisces

Best Pizza in Tullamore, just wondering what peps think.

I quite like Nino's myself but I haven't had pizza in a lot of places for a few years so I'm interested to know if there are good spots

Domino's gets the vote in this house!
    We usually avail of the "spend €40+ and get 50% off) - gets us plenty and the bill comes to about €22.:)

• Advertisement

I see apache is gone and there's a screen 7 in place where the ticket/shop was upstairs in cinema

Advertisement