Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all,
Vanilla are planning an update to the site on April 24th (next Wednesday). It is a major PHP8 update which is expected to boost performance across the site. The site will be down from 7pm and it is expected to take about an hour to complete. We appreciate your patience during the update.
Thanks all.

Feedback Someone nicked my sig.

13»

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 1,349 ✭✭✭Phibsboro

God this thread is flying alone - 3 posts while i was composing my masterpiece :)

So just a quick response to one of those - this is absolutely not the same as the new york niggardly thing - that was pure ignorance of the english language. Niggardly is a completely different word, different etymology etc. Gay is gay is gay. Its a fight for the meaning of the word, not a PC over-reaction like niggardly.

C

• Registered Users Posts: 1,853 ✭✭✭Yoda

Originally posted by DeVore
    I'm sorry but I dont see how I even used the term "gay" in a negative way... you are reading that into my words.
    I asked you to explain what it is that you think you meant by the use of the word.
    Have you ever found me to be homophobic?
    No, not really, DeVore. But you're being informed that the use you made of that word offends. It seemed to be used in a dismissive, derogatory sense. "I have gay hair" doesn't mean "My hair is cool". It doesn't mean "My hair is homosexual" either – but it certainly doesn't mean anything good.

There are many wonderful words in the English language which can better express, um, whatever it is that you meant. Three of your neighbours now have taken pains to let you know that the use you made of that word is inflammatory and, whether you like it or not, offensive. Please take it on board.

I'm going to England for a week.

• Registered Users Posts: 11,446 ✭✭✭✭amp

Originally posted by Yoda
    I asked you to explain what it is that you think you meant by the use of the word.No, not really, DeVore. But you're being informed that the use you made of that word offends. It seemed to be used in a dismissive, derogatory sense. "I have gay hair" doesn't mean "My hair is cool". It doesn't mean "My hair is homosexual" either – but it certainly doesn't mean anything good.

There are many wonderful words in the English language which can better express, um, whatever it is that you meant. Three of your neighbours now have taken pains to let you know that the use you made of that word is inflammatory and, whether you like it or not, offensive. Please take it on board.

I'm going to England for a week.

****!

• Registered Users Posts: 35,523 ✭✭✭✭Gordon

I think we are all missing the real meat and potatoes and two veg of this matter: what is the plural of 'gay'? Is it gay or gays? Now that we are in the eurovision zone surely the plural should be gay.

Isn't it gay?

• Business & Finance Moderators, Entertainment Moderators Posts: 32,387 Mod ✭✭✭✭DeVore

I'm sorry if anyone found my comment to be "offensive". Actually, I'm not particularly sorry at all but I am trying to be polite. If anyone found that offensive I suggest they wrap themselves up in cotton wool cos the real world would be too cruel for someone as beautiful as you.

If you cant describe a sig which consists of three partially dressed men in a lockeroom with their arms round each other as both Gay and/or Ghey I dont know what the world is coming to. If you feel that I'm being pejorative with the first comment, I think that says more about you then it says about me.
    Go back and read it again

This thread is now locked because noone is listening about it being offtopic. Amp was banned for less and I've a good mind to ban a few people but undoubtedly that would also oppress some minority or other....

Start another thread by all means, personally I wont be wasting my time on it.

DeV.

• Advertisement
This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement