Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all,
Vanilla are planning an update to the site on April 24th (next Wednesday). It is a major PHP8 update which is expected to boost performance across the site. The site will be down from 7pm and it is expected to take about an hour to complete. We appreciate your patience during the update.
Thanks all.

Limerick improvement projects

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 4,826 ✭✭✭Poxyshamrock

I believe construction on the south quays is to start in October. If it goes ahead, it'll be great.

I think Gaelscoil Sairseal is moving into the ESB building on Bishop's Quay in the next few months too. It should breathe more life into the riverside.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,903 ✭✭✭zulutango

I think Gaelscoil Sairseal is moving into the ESB building on Bishop's Quay in the next few months too. It should breathe more life into the riverside.

Wow, really? That would be fantastic.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,912 ✭✭✭kilburn

O'Connell St will be starting in January. Orbital route will come into effect once this is done.

They have applied for planning permission for the museum, decision due soon if not already

• Registered Users Posts: 3,905 ✭✭✭steveon

Inner oribtal route cut journey times, what planet are these people on, the traffic is a joke in Parnell street and upper William street as a result,and now they are planning an island on the junction of Parnell street and roches street....a complete mess..

• Registered Users Posts: 1,974 ✭✭✭Brennans Row

kilburn wrote: »
    O'Connell St will be starting in January. Orbital route will come into effect once this is done.

That’s good!

Can one read more about that starting date anywhere?

The Orbital Route

Media,4580,en.jpg

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 330 ✭✭diddley

I could be dreaming..but wasn't this redevelopment supposed to include new bus shelters with a real time bus schedule?

• Registered Users Posts: 25,560 ✭✭✭✭Kess73

Mallow street, Parnell street, and Charlottes Quay are all to become one way systems? :eek:

• Closed Accounts Posts: 878 ✭✭✭rainbowdash

What about the road from coonagh around towards UL, passing moyross, ( to open the area up) parteen etc., and new bridge downstream of o'briens bridge or killaloe, not sure if all these are the same project but it is in the pipeline already, any update on this?

• Registered Users Posts: 208 ✭✭Cityslicker1

Don't understand why they are pedestrianising O' Connell street..as everyone knows Limerick is essentially dead from 6 on-wards. Without the flow of traffic up that street in the evenings it would be a ghost town altogether!The section they have decided to pedestrianise has little to no shops...I can understand why streets like Henry st. and Grafton st. in Dublin work as they are full of shops!Shop st. in Galway is a success because it is very narrow, full of pubs and restaurants and pretty much the only street in Galway which makes it easy to fill adding vibrancy and an atmosphere to the centre!Why don't they take St.Patrick street in Cork as an example which is equivalent to O'Connell street in Limerick. Remodel and increase the size of the pavements, add trees and other street furniture and speed bumps to slow down the traffic. I'm all for the improvements of Limerick but the city has enough pedistrianised streets now..they should just do jobs (only better) like what they did on William street to the rest of the streets with lots of trees. I think something should be done about the facades of Brown Thomas and Pennys..so ugly..they were stunning before they were destroyed by fires. (Google images of 'Cannocks Limerick'..that was pennys before it was destroyed..hard to believe the contrast of what stands there now).

• Registered Users Posts: 3,903 ✭✭✭zulutango

Don't understand why they are pedestrianising O' Connell street..as everyone knows Limerick is essentially dead from 6 on-wards. Without the flow of traffic up that street in the evenings it would be a ghost town altogether!The section they have decided to pedestrianise has little to no shops...I can understand why streets like Henry st. and Grafton st. in Dublin work as they are full of shops!Shop st. in Galway is a success because it is very narrow, full of pubs and restaurants and pretty much the only street in Galway which makes it easy to fill adding vibrancy and an atmosphere to the centre!Why don't they take St.Patrick street in Cork as an example which is equivalent to O'Connell street in Limerick. Remodel and increase the size of the pavements, add trees and other street furniture and speed bumps to slow down the traffic. I'm all for the improvements of Limerick but the city has enough pedistrianised streets now..they should just do jobs (only better) like what they did on William street to the rest of the streets with lots of trees. I think something should be done about the facades of Brown Thomas and Pennys..so ugly..they were stunning before they were destroyed by fires. (Google images of 'Cannocks Limerick'..that was pennys before it was destroyed..hard to believe the contrast of what stands there now).

My understanding is that the development will be similar to that of Patrick Street in Cork.

• Advertisement

zulutango wrote: »
    My understanding is that the development will be similar to that of Patrick Street in Cork.

Hopefully, although from the link above it seems that the section from William street to Roches Street will be completely pedistrianised!What a ghost town Limerick city centre will become if there will be no traffic on O' Connell street..especially after 6!

diddley wrote: »
    I could be dreaming..but wasn't this redevelopment supposed to include new bus shelters with a real time bus schedule?

Yes,and also advertising posters attached to brackets on the new street lighting on William street which they added at Christmas and took down when the holiday was over. I was expecting them to be updated to advertise upcoming events such as the RiverFest,concerts, matches etc in Thomond park/market venue etc and also the fact that Limerick was European capital of Sport like Cork did when it was European capital of Culture. The only reason I knew Cork was Capital of Culture was when I was in the city and saw it stated on advertising posters on all the street lighting on Patrick street. When they had them up in Limerick at Christmas they really added to the streetscape..it's a shame they are not being utilised!

Parnell street a one way are they taking the piss.....Parnell street is the widest street in Limerick due to the fact that the area around the train station was originally planned as being the town centre.

If the do the ring road first they will alleviate half the traffic in the town and wouldnt need to do anything else in the city as the traffic flow would be far superior...

• Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 11,803 Mod ✭✭✭✭Cookiemunster

steveon wrote: »
    If the do the ring road first they will alleviate half the traffic in the town and wouldnt need to do anything else in the city as the traffic flow would be far superior...

The ring road is years away yet. The Coonagh to Knockalisheen half is out to tender but hasn't been awarded yet. Its due to be awarded in October but it will be a few months before the contractor will be able to start and its down as a 27 month build. The Knockalisheen to Dublin Rd half is still at route selection stage so it'll be 2-3 years before its ready to start contruction.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,293 ✭✭✭pigtown

Hold ups at the site on Patrick St. mean the museum is to move to city hall temporarily. http://www.limerickleader.ie/lifestyle/entertainment/limerick-city-museum-to-move-into-city-hall-1-4222450

The ring road is years away yet. The Coonagh to Knockalisheen half is out to tender but hasn't been awarded yet. Its due to be awarded in October but it will be a few months before the contractor will be able to start and its down as a 27 month build. The Knockalisheen to Dublin Rd half is still at route selection stage so it'll be 2-3 years before its ready to start contruction.

I know the ring road is yrs away and thats the problem as all the council seemed to be concerned about is copying other cities in pushing a one way system that will not work..and that there is absolutely no need for.

It is a complete waste of time and money and especially the Parnell street Part, they are spending money on creating a new island at the end of parnell stret and then probably remove it when the oribal route is complete, all they need so is remove the traffic lights at certain periods of time and then whole city will move.

This will encourage people to come into town and shop, making them have to go from one side of the city not only wastes fuel and is bad for the enviroment its is also going to drive even more people away from shopping in the city centre. Mallow Street is always full of traffic, as is Henry street as not one traffic light works in conjunction with the one in front of it.

I waste at least 20-30 mins a day sitting at red lights when there is nothing coming the other way every day despite the fact that city hall promised sensor lights for yrs...

• Registered Users Posts: 14,015 ✭✭✭✭Mc Love

So you would rather waste more money building a ring road from coonagh to UL when there is already one there?

Where's the common sense!?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 203 ✭✭MHalberstram

Not an official project but it would be great to see a few areas around the city get a lick of paint the way everyone gets together on the tidy towns project.

For example, Little Catherine Street is quite nice now but there is one ugly area between Mullaneys and Guineys, a grey wall with graffiti on it. A lick of paint would really improve that spot. Not sure who owns it though. Similarly the laneway behind brown thomas could badly do with a paint job, as could a lot of the building fronts overhead retail units around the city.

It would be great if there was one weekend where everyone tried to paint these spots, pool resources together and get everyone involved.

Not an official project but it would be great to see a few areas around the city get a lick of paint the way everyone gets together on the tidy towns project.

For example, Little Catherine Street is quite nice now but there is one ugly area between Mullaneys and Guineys, a grey wall with graffiti on it. A lick of paint would really improve that spot. Not sure who owns it though. Similarly the laneway behind brown thomas could badly do with a paint job, as could a lot of the building fronts overhead retail units around the city.

It would be great if there was one weekend where everyone tried to paint these spots, pool resources together and get everyone involved.

I agree 100%!It would make a huge difference in the city centre. I've noticed that the Brown Thomas facade has been painted recently..it's still not a great looking building but the fresh lick of paint certainly improves it..They also added new lights shinning on the building which looks quite nice at night!!Limerick city centre needs more trees..was hoping they would have planted more on both sides of William street and not just the left side as you go up the street.I really believe the planting of lots of trees would really work in Limerick city because of the long, straight, wide streets Limerick has which would, as a result, give more of an avenue feel than bare & bland streets!Implementation of the above would not be an expensive task however it would make a world of difference!!

I agree 100%!It would make a huge difference in the city centre. I've noticed that the Brown Thomas facade has been painted recently..it's still not a great looking building but the fresh lick of paint certainly improves it..They also added new lights shinning on the building which looks quite nice at night!!Limerick city centre needs more trees..was hoping they would have planted more on both sides of William street and not just the left side as you go up the street.I really believe the planting of lots of trees would really work in Limerick city because of the long, straight, wide streets Limerick has which would, as a result, give more of an avenue feel than bare & bland streets!Implementation of the above would not be an expensive task however it would make a world of difference!!

Yes more trees really add to the city. The large flowerpots and hanging baskets look great too. One thing I'd be concerned about is how they put trees on the street. The large pots they are using for the trees on Little Catherine Street don't appear to be big enough, some of the trees appear to be dying.

• Advertisement

Yes more trees really add to the city. The large flowerpots and hanging baskets look great too. One thing I'd be concerned about is how they put trees on the street. The large pots they are using for the trees on Little Catherine Street don't appear to be big enough, some of the trees appear to be dying.

Why don't the city council have the initiative to put this into action. They work in this role whereas general members of the public seem to have more interesting and affordable ideas that would make a big change to the city centre making it more aesthetically pleasing!!Some trees and paint would hardly break the bank...

Why don't the city council have the initiative to put this into action. They work in this role whereas general members of the public seem to have more interesting and affordable ideas that would make a big change to the city centre making it more aesthetically pleasing!!Some trees and paint would hardly break the bank...

They could even combine the two, and paint trees on the boarded up places haha. Would certainly brighten up the place.

Would be nice of they lit up under the bridges at night too. They do this with green lights in Dublin and it looks really well.

• Registered Users Posts: 550 ✭✭✭lockman

This year, for the first time, Limerick city centre entered the 2012 Tidy Towns competition. Local businesswoman Helen O'Donnell was behind this initiative.

For anyone who is interested, here is the report from the Tidy Towns group on the city centre entry:
    http://www.tidytowns.ie/u_reports/2012/2012%20County%20Limerick%20Limerick%20City%20Centre%202121.pdf

The report makes for interesting reading, and there are some very constructive criticisms contained within.

Looks like we should have Real Time Passenger Information (RTPI) signs for Bus Eireann buses by Christmas.
    They will be located at the following locations:

Childers Rd (Opp Shopping Centre)
    Childers Rd (Shopping Centre)
    St Nessans Rd (Op Crescent Shop Centre)
    St Nessans Rd (Crescent Shopping Cent)
    St Nessans Rd (Opp Regional Hosp)
    St Nessans Rd (Regional Hospital)
    University of Limerick (Stables)
    Corbally Road (Jnc with Athlunkard Ave)
    Hurlers Pub (limerick)
    Kilmurry Hotel (Kilmurry Hotel)
    Cratloe Rd (5 Cratloe Rd)
    Sarsfield St (Debenhams)
    Sarsfield St (Debenhams)
    William St (Superdrug Pharmacy)
    William St (Superdrug Pharmacy)
    Henry Street (Dunnes Stores)
    Henry Street (Dunnes Stores)
    High Rd (No 90 Thomondgate)
    Hyde Rd (Opp Post Office)

• Registered Users Posts: 1,293 ✭✭✭pigtown

Do these dsiplays only give info on Bus Eireann? It would be useful especially around UL to have info on all of the buses that use the stop.

Just edited it there.

Yep, it's for buses.

Its about time this ancient technology was introduced, been in London for decades

• Registered Users Posts: 1,980 ✭✭✭limklad

About bloody time!! I hope they keep data available for all to see online and their arrival times history, so people can better plan their journeys and not wait over an hour for one bus at weekends or late evenings.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 25,560 ✭✭✭✭Kess73

steveon wrote: »
    Its about time this ancient technology was introduced, been in London for decades

Used to love how handy it was in southern Germany as well. Ahh a German public transport system with all that comes with it being set up in Ireland. Now that would have me not driving as often as I do.:)

Advertisement